What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dameon Pierce, HOU (1 Viewer)

Florida senior RB Dameon Pierce has declared for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Pierce (5'10/215) will enter the 2022 NFL Draft as a minimally used running back, who totaled just 329 carries for 1,802 yards and 23 touchdowns during his fours seasons at Florida. He does bring a bit of a pass-catching resume to the NFL as well, having caught 45 passes for 422 yards and five touchdowns in his career, with 2021 bringing career highs in all three categories after he went for 19-216-3. Pierce brings good NFL size with him, but may need a strong combine or showing at the Senior Bowl to move himself into Day 2 draft territory, as he's likely a later round pick at the next level as it stands right now.

SOURCE: Thomas Goldkamp on Twitter

Jan 11, 2022, 4:29 PM ET

NBC Sports Edge analyst Tyler Forness named Florida RB Dameon Pierce as having a standout performance in the third Senior Bowl practice session. 

Pierce (5'9/220) is an oddly shaped bowling ball-type back who has been a brick house in pass protection and enhancing his draft stock with well-rounded play during the Senior Bowl practices. Though he split time in Florida's muddled backfield over the past two years, Pierce was extremely effective on a per play basis this season, rushing for 574 yards, 5.7 YPC and 13 touchdowns. PFF bestowed an exceptional 93.5 run grade on him, as Pierce averaged 3.65 yards after contact and broke 20 carries for more than 10 yards in just 100 carries. Pierce is likely to garner an NFL Draft selection after his strong showing Senior Bowl week showing.

SOURCE: Tyler Forness on Twitter

Feb 4, 2022, 7:44 PM ET

Former Florida RB Dameon Pierce has the highest single-season rushing grade among any SEC running back since 2014.

In a tweet posted by PFF Draft, it was noted that Pierce (5'10"/215) had a 93.5 rushing grade on PFF.com last season. His 2021 rushing grade ranked the best amongst all SEC backs since 2014, topping former first rounders Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Najee Harris. Last season with the Gators, Pierce rushed 100 times for 574 yards and 13 touchdowns per PFF.com and posted a career rushing line of 329-1802-23. Despite the light usage Pierce saw in his career, he's projected as one of the better running backs in this year's draft class. He had a solid week at the Senior Bowl, and will look to add to his draft stock at this week's NFL Scouting Combine.

SOURCE: PFF Draft on Twitter

Mar 1, 2022, 6:29 PM ET

The Draft Wire's Luke Easterling has Florida RB Dameon Pierce as his fourth-ranked running back.

When you look at Pierce's (5'10/215) profile, it's rather unique. He was never the true lead back for the Gators and never had a major role in the offense. He was relegated in a timeshare due to Dan Mullen's coaching style. The traits pop when you watch him on film. He displays great vision, bursts through the hole, pass blocks really well, and his 700-pound squat helps him runs through tacklers. He projects as a third-round pick that can play a major role right away.

SOURCE: Draft Wire

Apr 7, 2022, 12:42 PM ET

Texans selected Florida RB Dameon Pierce with the No. 107 overall pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Pierce (5'10, 218) was a career committee back at Florida, never once hitting 600 rushing yards in a season despite playing at least 11 games in all four of his college campaigns. However, Pierce flashed the ability to do more. On only 100 carries, Pierce scored 13 rushing touchdowns in 2021. He added three more as a receiver along with 19 receptions for 216 yards. A powerful rusher and capable receiver, Pierce could ultimately be far more productive as a pro than he was in college, much like Damien Harris, provided he gets the opportunity. Landing in Houston is about as good of a situation Pierce could've asked for, joining free-agent pickup Marlon Mack and glorified special teamers Rex Burkhead and Dare Ogunbowale in the Texans' backfield. There's some fantasy appeal here for Pierce.

Apr 30, 2022, 12:13 PM ET

Dameon Pierce RB, FLA

Height: 5-10, Weight: 218

Rock-solid frame with tree trunks for legs, but he's dynamic changing directions. Not incredibly elusive nor a burner. Just a unique specimen at his size with his light feet. Kevlar type in pass pro too. This is a feature back. (Chris Trapasso)

Lance Zierlein@LanceZierlein

Looking forward to seeing Dameon Pierce at

@seniorbowl

next week. He’s a little herky-jerky and can be unorthodox but he’s tough and competes on every snap. Went 9-69 vs. UGA which was highest total for any RB in 2021 against them.

LINK to vid

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINDING THE FITS: 10 DAY 3 PICKS SET TO CLICK IN THE NFL

Fourth round, No. 107 overall: Houston Texans — Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida

Perhaps the hardest running tailback in this year’s draft, Pierce was a favorite of draft analysts all over the country, and he is likely to be listed by many as a Day 3 steal. That is because his potential as a lead back couldn’t have been more obvious at Florida, and yet he leaves "The Swamp" with only 329 career carries. By comparison, fellow Day 3 steal Tyler Allgeier (listed lower in this article) had 276 attempts in 2021 alone. 

Lovie Smith may be Houston’s new head coach, but he’s as old-school as it gets. He would love to lean on one true bell-cow runner. And let’s face it, the Texans’ current depth chart at running back (Marlon Mack, Rex Burkhead, Royce Freeman and Dare Ogunbowale) is hardly a who’s who of NFL rushing champions. A fierce downhill runner, pass protector and quality receiver whose game projects even better at the NFL level than college, Pierce has a chance to be one of the real steals of this year’s draft

I had him #3 overall at RB coming into the Draft , didn't want to hype him up but his ability to gain yds after contact is what attracts you to him immediately. He'll use that skill a lot in the NFL, especially playing for the Houston texans in the coming years. 

A guy that nobody will take early in most redrafts, likely be the starter in Houston after the first month of the season if not quicker. It's Houston so his stats won't be great but he might get bellcow type work at points of the season. 

They won't win a lot of games so he won't be running out the clock so you gotta temper enthusiasm. 

Please tell me why you are a fan of Pierce but don't think James Robinson is any good?
I think I corrected myself in the thread you are referring to. It’s not that I think Robinson isn’t any good. I just don’t think he’s special. I don’t think Pierce is special either. I don’t think Pierce probably ever has a season as good as Robinson had 2 years ago. I do think Robinson is pretty much done though now. 

I think I corrected myself in the thread you are referring to. It’s not that I think Robinson isn’t any good. I just don’t think he’s special. I don’t think Pierce is special either. I don’t think Pierce probably ever has a season as good as Robinson had 2 years ago. I do think Robinson is pretty much done though now. 
With only Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead ahead of him this may be his best chance to have a season like Robinson 2 years ago. There is no doubt Robinson produced when he got that volume. Pierce wont see that kind of volume though even if he starts from Game 1 - Mack and Burkhead will be in the mix when healthy.

With only Marlon Mack and Rex Burkhead ahead of him this may be his best chance to have a season like Robinson 2 years ago. There is no doubt Robinson produced when he got that volume. Pierce wont see that kind of volume though even if he starts from Game 1 - Mack and Burkhead will be in the mix when healthy.
Yeah Pierce has found himself in a great situation year one but it's one thing to be in position and another to take advantage of. We have no evidence he can handle a lead role. 

Pierce definitely seems to have a good landing spot, but Mack to me is still a wildcard. We haven’t seen him play in a few years with Taylor taking over and he’s still young. Not much interest in FA, but can say the same for a lot of RBs. We’ll see how much burst he’s recouped from the Achilles.

Yeah Pierce has found himself in a great situation year one but it's one thing to be in position and another to take advantage of. We have no evidence he can handle a lead role. 

For sure, but he's a 2nd round dart throw.  Few of those are proven, if they were they'd be more expensive.

zamboni said:
Pierce definitely seems to have a good landing spot, but Mack to me is still a wildcard. We haven’t seen him play in a few years with Taylor taking over and he’s still young. Not much interest in FA, but can say the same for a lot of RBs. We’ll see how much burst he’s recouped from the Achilles.
Yes it's far from a given that Pierce makes Mack irrelevant or that he even beats him out to be the lead back - but it's one of the easiest depth charts right now for a rookie to climb to the top. That's surely worth a mid to late second round pick. Like I said earlier, if Pierce does look legit, guys like that are easy to flip for a profit - or you can juts enjoy the production this year and worry about him being potentially replaced next offseason.

TripItUp said:
Seems to me that the Mack/Pierce handcuff combo is a cheap upside play.   
Obviously it's early but in redraft you can probably secure that backfield at 8/9 turn or possibly even later.

Very intrigued by Pierce and I could be persuaded to take him in the 1st round as RB3.  Something special about Pierce.  Maybe it's just flashbacks of another stocky built, powerful running, short striding, quick footed Gator that also created a lot of missed tackles forced. 

Texans general manager Nick Caserio said rookie RB Dameon Pierce would have to "create a role for himself" in the team's backfield. 

"I don't think this is going to be all about offense and who is going to carry the ball and who is going to be the lead running back," Caserio said when asked about the Texans' backfield pecking order. "I think that's a bunch of BS." Language, Nick. Old-school head coach Lovie Smith and culture-obsessed Caserio seem intent on making Pierce earn his stripes in 2022 in what could be a crowded Houston backfield. Marlon Mack looked to be the best fantasy option in the Texans backfield until the team used the 107th pick in the draft on Pierce, who turned 119 touches into 790 yards (6.64 yards per touch) and 16 touchdowns for Florida in 2021. Pierce could very well be a frustrating bench stash for fantasy managers in 2022. 

RELATED: 

Marlon Mack

, Rex Burkhead

SOURCE: Josh Norris on Twitter 

May 3, 2022, 12:43 PM ET

I hope the GM and coach speak keeps his ranking/ADP right where it's at.  He's my top rookie value on the board right now.

ESPN's Sarah Barshop writes that rookie RB Dameon Pierce "should have plenty of opportunities to take the lead back spot by the end of the season."

Note that this isn't exactly saying that Pierce has earned the role for the time being, but Pierce is clearly the most physically talented back the Texans employ at this point. It seems likely that Pierce will get a chance, but given how the Texans have tended to bring along rookies over the past two years, he may be a second-half player for fantasy purposes. He'd then have some time to state his case that the Texans shouldn't upgrade the position for 2023. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 21, 2022, 2:00 PM ET

I don't think Burkhead is a threat.  Mack is, but if he disappoints and Pierce looks good, he could be a huge steal.  I grabbed him where I could in rookie drafts.  I'm a fan.

I don't think Burkhead is a threat.  Mack is, but if he disappoints and Pierce looks good, he could be a huge steal.  I grabbed him where I could in rookie drafts.  I'm a fan.
I'd argue Burkhead is a threat as far as he's likely the 3rd down RB regardless of who wins the starting job, and on a team likely to spend 75% of the time trailing that could make him a pretty sizeable stumbling block. 

I think unless Pierce clearly isn't NFL ready, he'll start over Mack. Mack was an average RB before the Achilles tear, he now has less ability, and a worse offense. 

I like Pierce to be the top fantasy guy in Houston, but he'll likely be very inconsistent due to game script. I'm on board about 40 or so RBs in.

It sounds strange, but I want to like the guy more than I do. Powerful back, good hands, promising pass protection…just not sure he has the speed to make some NFL runs. He looks slow to me and will probably get caught trying to beat NFL linebackers to the edge as he did in college. I think Mack if returned to full (or nearly full) health will easily be the opening day starter. As the season goes on Pierce will most certainly be given the opportunity to get more carries and it will be on him to produce. His acceleration and speed will limit him but hopefully his power and pass catching skills can make up for it.

This ease your concerns at all?

@JimNagy_SB

Dameon Pierce’s pre-draft momentum built in Mobile will continue out of Indy. Pierce posted fastest GPS gameday speed (20.66 mph) of any player at

@seniorbowl. Comparatively, Antonio Gibson hit 20.15 mph and clocked 4.39 at 2020 Combine. Pierce isn’t just a power back.

https://twitter.com/JimNagy_SB/status/1499145617377005570
Good to see, thanks for sharing. I was judging off game film where he appeared to be on the slower side. Definitely  Like his physicality and hands though.

Dynasty wise, I think Pierce is in a similar boat to Michael Carter from a year ago. He's a talented RB, but he's gonna have to explode to be a long-term asset, because of the lack of draft capital he has, and the high amount of draft capital his team has going forward. 

Dynasty wise, I think Pierce is in a similar boat to Michael Carter from a year ago. He's a talented RB, but he's gonna have to explode to be a long-term asset, because of the lack of draft capital he has, and the high amount of draft capital his team has going forward. 
The bolded is key for me as well.

Good to see, thanks for sharing. I was judging off game film where he appeared to be on the slower side. Definitely  Like his physicality and hands though.
I don't think you are wrong to be concerned about it especially since he had only two carries longer then 25 yards the last two years. I think one of his issues breaking big plays is that he actually runs to contact. This is one of my concerns with his ability to be durable, he could stand to actually be less physical.

Everything I have read about this guy leads me to believe he is going to be "the guy" not before too long. From what I have ready his vision and patience seem to be his best things going for him other than his competition. Buying

Who's getting passing down work in Houston?

It FEELS like this guy is going to take the lead in this backfield by the 2nd half if not before, but does he have a shot at passing down work?

Dameon Pierce rushed five times for 48 yards in the Texans’ preseason opener Saturday.​

Veteran Marlon Mack got the start in the Texans’ backfield But rushed for just six yards on three carries, and Rex Burkhead didn’t even play. Pierce was the star of the night for the Texans, averaging 9.8 YPC with a long run of 20 yards. He ran with power and solidified himself as Houston’s best back. Whether or not the coaches start him right away is to be seen, but Pierce is probably the best bet to lead this backfield in touches this season.
Aug 14, 2022, 10:11 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread