What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dameon Pierce, HOU (1 Viewer)

Went 1.10 in our keeper/contract league rookie draft today
What a jump, got him at 3.06 in a dynasty league a month ago.
Wow, he went at 1.10 in my PPR dynasty league this past May. Surprised he's been so overlooked in other leagues.
Even FBG has him fairly low IMO for redraft. They basically have him as a mid-ranked RB3. Maybe it’s in large part due to not being sold on the Houston offense, but with a pretty clear path to bell cow workload and (IMO) an underrated Davis Mills, I think he should be a solid #2 RB with some potential for upside.

I mean, the Steelers were awful last year with an awful offensive line, but Harris had a very nice fantasy year simply because he was the unquestioned guy in a run-based offense.
I agree with all that. @zamboni mentioned above that the Houston offense might outperform expectations this year, and I'm inclined to belive that they will. I'm very tempted to target Kelce and top-tier WRs in the first three rounds (or sub in Allen at QB), and then fall into the zero-RBs like Pierce. I like Davis too at QB, and will be targeting Nico Collins as well.

I say the darndest things when I'm not tossing back a cold beer.

Pierce fever is highly contagious. He just wen RB20 in the FBG FFA Draftapalooza.
For me it's a byproduct of zero-RB fever. My redraft is on Monday and I'm attracted to all the shiny non-RB players in the early rounds. Have not gotten too familiar with ADP yet, so my tune might change once I dive deeper.

At this juncture, Pierce > Hall
yeah, no.

ESPN's Rich Cimini writes that Michael Carter is "still RB1" for the Jets.​

Cimini has been covering the Jets longer than anyone, so his words are certainly notable. And this pretty much lines up with what has been going on this preseason. Carter and rookie Breece Hall split reps right down the middle in the preseason opener, and then Carter got the second preseason game off with the rest of the offensive starts while Hall dressed and played with the Mike White-led second unit. Hall just hasn't impressed when the ball has been in his hands, rushing nine times for 16 empty yards (1.8 YPC) behind a poor offensive line. He also hasn't been targeted in the pass game, which is somewhere Carter excelled as a rookie. This looks like a backfield that will be a one-two punch to open the year. Carter is basically free at his fantasy ADP.

Cimini has been covering the Jets longer than anyone, so his words are certainly notable. And this pretty much lines up with what has been going on this preseason. Carter and rookie Breece Hall split reps right down the middle in the preseason opener, and then Carter got the second preseason game off with the rest of the offensive starts while Hall dressed and played with the Mike White-led second unit. Hall just hasn't impressed when the ball has been in his hands, rushing nine times for 16 empty yards (1.8 YPC) behind a poor offensive line. He also hasn't been targeted in the pass game, which is somewhere Carter excelled as a rookie. This looks like a backfield that will be a one-two punch to open the year. Carter is basically free at his fantasy ADP.
Jonathan Taylor was behind Marlon Mack to start his rookie year.

yeah, no.

Yeah I've seen that.

I know holding out Pierce from the last pre-season game likely means he's the starting back but we really do not even know that yet, nor how much Burkhead or Mack will be involved.

It's far from settled at this point, and Hall is a superior athlete with college success. There's a chance Pearce is the better re-draft player, but I would still take Hall first.

I know holding out Pierce from the last pre-season game likely means he's the starting back but we really do not even know that yet, nor how much Burkhead or Mack will be involved.

It's far from settled at this point, and Hall is a superior athlete with college success. There's a chance Pearce is the better re-draft player, but I would still take Hall first.
I also keep trying to remind myself that the winner of this contest is the lead back for the Houston Texans. Sometimes we get so caught up in winning we forget what the prize is.

I also keep trying to remind myself that the winner of this contest is the lead back for the Houston Texans. Sometimes we get so caught up in winning we forget what the prize is.
As stated above, it’s possible that the Texans could have a much better offense than what many expect. And if he’s a 3-down back, that can have big time value. It just comes down to how much you’re willing to gamble on all these cards falling into place and who you’re willing to pass over to take a chance on Pearce.

As stated above, it’s possible that the Texans could have a much better offense than what many expect. And if he’s a 3-down back, that can have big time value. It just comes down to how much you’re willing to gamble on all these cards falling into place and who you’re willing to pass over to take a chance on Pearce.

I've tried to keep the DAMEON PIERCE hype down, to the few league mates I talk to regularly. I'm trying to outright avoid bringing him up so I can get him cheap.
There's one league mate I have who I know damn well will be all over him too.....in my biggest $$$ league.
As luck would have it (you might have seen me mention it in other threads) I now have the #1 overall pick in that league. I'm fully anticipating to consider taking him at the 4-5 turn, as I doubt I will be getting him otherwise there.
Sniffing out top10-12 RBs for cheap later in drafts is a massive help towards winning leagues.
Will he be top 10 - ish? None of us can say that, but there are a few things that seem to line up with him possibly being a bellcow, and thats all I'm looking for.

The opportunity to take over a backfield is simply greater at this point with Pierce, and quite frankly - that applies on a longer term basis at this point as well.

The opportunity to take over a backfield is simply greater at this point with Pierce, and quite frankly - that applies on a longer term basis at this point as well.
On a longer term basis you prefer Pearce to Hall? Ok. There’s a great chance Pearce gets replaced by a rookie next draft.

Even FBG has him fairly low IMO for redraft. They basically have him as a mid-ranked RB3. Maybe it’s in large part due to not being sold on the Houston offense, but with a pretty clear path to bell cow workload and (IMO) an underrated Davis Mills, I think he should be a solid #2 RB with some potential for upside.

I mean, the Steelers were awful last year with an awful offensive line, but Harris had a very nice fantasy year simply because he was the unquestioned guy in a run-based offense.
Their line was awful, but they actually had a winning record and (miraculously) made the playoffs. I also think Houston will be improved this year, but probably still looking at 5-6 wins tops. It would be very surprising if Pierce came anywhere close to the workload Najee had last year.

On a longer term basis you prefer Pearce to Hall? Ok. There’s a great chance Pearce gets replaced by a rookie next draft.
Is Michael Carter going anywhere? The threat you‘re projecting for Pierce 17 games from now in Houston is already under contract for 3 more seasons in NY.

Their line was awful, but they actually had a winning record and (miraculously) made the playoffs. I also think Houston will be improved this year, but probably still looking at 5-6 wins tops. It would be very surprising if Pierce came anywhere close to the workload Najee had last year.
What’s preventing a James Robinson (2020) type season though?

Pierce fever is highly contagious. He just wen RB20 in the FBG FFA Draftapalooza.

For me it's a byproduct of zero-RB fever. My redraft is on Monday and I'm attracted to all the shiny non-RB players in the early rounds. Have not gotten too familiar with ADP yet, so my tune might change once I dive deeper.

It's a 16 team league but RB 20...34th OVERALL. Good Lord. That is late 3rd round in a 12 team redraft you guys. WHAT IS GOING ON?

Jonathan Taylor was behind Marlon Mack to start his rookie year.
Yeah and I drafted Taylor in the third that year. It killed in my big redraft league because I could never recover from his poor start to the season.

But in my Keeper league I was able to cover for him, and he won me the 'ship down the stretch with his fantastic finish.

So in redraft it's very dicey taking a main man who might not take over the starting position until week 8 or so.

All in on this guy. Really hope he does next to nothing tonight in the last preseason game.

I'm in the same boat. I want him to get in, get something like 3 carries for 7 yards then vaporize to the bench in secrecy.
I'm trying to get him everywhere as my RB4, but its looking like its more and more like RB3 solidly on my fantasy benches by the day.
My league mates all tend to pay attention to guys like this.

Has one preseason game ever vaulted a 4th round rookie RB up the rankings so much?
People are acting like he's Adrian Peterson.

Has one preseason game ever vaulted a 4th round rookie RB up the rankings so much?
I'm sure there have been others. Darwin Thompson comes to mind as another.

He got hype for sure - but we have people in here falling all over themselves. I'll agree he looked very good in that one preseason game, but in redraft I'll gladly let others overpay for him. I'm not totally convinced a dinosaur like Lovie Smith is going to not use veterans like Mack and Burkhead - I realize those guys are nothing special but Burkhead has stuck around in the league for a reason - he's a solid all around back and the best pass catcher in the RB room. Pearce's best hope for RB2 status is scoring double digit TDs, and I'm just not sure this is going to be a great offense. I wouldn't be shocked if Mills takes a step back now that there's film of him.

He got hype for sure - but we have people in here falling all over themselves. I'll agree he looked very good in that one preseason game, but in redraft I'll gladly let others overpay for him. I'm not totally convinced a dinosaur like Lovie Smith is going to not use veterans like Mack and Burkhead - I realize those guys are nothing special but Burkhead has stuck around in the league for a reason - he's a solid all around back and the best pass catcher in the RB room. Pearce's best hope for RB2 status is scoring double digit TDs, and I'm just not sure this is going to be a great offense. I wouldn't be shocked if Mills takes a step back now that there's film of him.
My deep keeper league is very RB driven, especially for young/rookie backs. Fortunately where I'm picking, someone will grab him before I do so that I don't have to feel like I'm reaching.

I think it's the preseason game he didn't play in that has him rising the list the most. For me, at least. If he had another game similar to his first last week, I'd still be like, meh, top 12 or 18 dynasty rookie pick. But with the fact that they've "seen all they need to see" or whatever, I'd probably be taking him at #5 if I had a pick up there.

What’s preventing a James Robinson (2020) type season though?
It was mostly a reminder that as bad as it seemed, Pitt still had a winning record so they were able to feed their RB more often. While it's not impossible he has a season like JRob, I don't think it's likely as Houston has more talent than that Jax team had so more mouths to feed for their smallish pie. That Jax team was all Robinson, he got almost all of their RB touches and their leading WR had like 700 yards.

yeah, no.

Excellent and commend you for holding the line on Carter, you're right.

-But talk to me in Week 6-7-8, most taking Carter are not trying to start him right away, mostly bye week and spot fill duty so again at the price point you're right. But perhaps at some point the Jets try and go with Breece Hall after he gets acclimated to the NFL and the nuances of being a professional running back. I can see Carter being the starting RB in the early part of the season but once the Jets start racking up losses, the hot seat for the head coach will be turned up and a lot of things folks anticipated start changing quickly.

I think the poor OL, shaky QB right now, good strong young WRs though, this is not looking like a strong offense at the moment. I don't remember Carter being a strong option last year.

-But let's go back to your point about the investment of both these guys...RB 18 seems ludicrous for Hall with what we see so far in camp and preseason, let's focus on that part.

Everyone keeps bringing up Darwin but I never was high on him for his talent, it was a situation were we had a great offense and no one believed in the top two RB's in the depth chart, the Williams. Other then that I see nothing similar. I never got hyped on the player with respect to Darwin, just the situation. That is not at all how I feel about Pierce were the hype I have is based solely on the player himself.

Everyone keeps bringing up Darwin but I never was high on him for his talent, it was a situation were we had a great offense and no one believed in the top two RB's in the depth chart, the Williams. Other then that I see nothing similar. I never got hyped on the player with respect to Darwin, just the situation. That is not at all how I feel about Pierce were the hype I have is based solely on the player himself.
The FBG dynasty guys - Bloom Waldman - were high on him I believe.

I had no idea, no offense to them intended in the least, I don't consume their content.

I was just saying how I felt. I was never that high on Thompson but though he was worth being drafted at a point in drafts where people were taking handcuffs. That's as high as I got on him and again it was due to situation.

This game will only drive his price up - but starting to admit I may ultimately be wrong about his value. I’ll still pass in redraft - unless he falls (and he won’t).

I had no idea, no offense to them intended in the least, I don't consume their content.

I was just saying how I felt. I was never that high on Thompson but though he was worth being drafted at a point in drafts where people were taking handcuffs. That's as high as I got on him and again it was due to situation.
No that wasn’t calling them (or you) out, I was just making a suggestion that that was why people on the board got caught up in it. I fully admit that maybe my memory is off but will stick with it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread