What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What should be the criminal/civil consequence of having/performing an abortion (1 Viewer)

Joe Schmo

Footballguy
With the Mississippi case now before the Supreme Court and with some opinions believing Roe and Casey are going to be overturned and the abortion issue left to the states, what is the punishment that states can or will impose on both the person seeking the abortion and the provider of the procedure if found liable or guilty of breaking a law prohibiting abortion? Is this going to be a draconian set-up with jail time for women seeking to end their pregnancy? Can women be tried for murder? How far will some states go in the name of preventing abortion?

All thoughts appreciated.

With the Mississippi case now before the Supreme Court and with some opinions believing Roe and Casey are going to be overturned and the abortion issue left to the states, what is the punishment that states can or will impose on both the person seeking the abortion and the provider of the procedure if found liable or guilty of breaking a law prohibiting abortion? Is this going to be a draconian set-up with jail time for women seeking to end their pregnancy? Can women be tried for murder? How far will some states go in the name of preventing abortion?

All thoughts appreciated.
No going to stores, events, travel and unemployable at most companies. 

If Roe/Casey are completely overturned, it will be up to the individual states to regulate or prohibit abortion, so there may be 50 different answers to your question (although some states will just stick with what's been in effect for the last 50 years).   Many states already have statutes in place that mirror the status quo.

Edit:  Just looked this up.   Seems like it's almost an even split as to the number of states that will restrict/prohibit and the ones that will stick with a version of what we've had.   

Punishments by state include charges all the way up to homicide against the woman and feticide against a health care provider.  Some states like Texas would even make someone that aided in an abortion, like a counselor, friend or even a cab driver, a criminal accomplice.

Last edited by a moderator:
When pressed on this, most pro-life people seem to take the position that a woman that aborts a pregnancy is some sort of “victim” and therefore the punishment should be light or non-existent.  At least that’s what I recall from previous discussions about this subject here.  I don’t remember anyone suggesting that getting an abortion should be punished similar to murder.

Oh dear, an abortion related thread.

After seeing the Mass Shootings Thread and two recent Rittenhouse Trial threads locked, I doubt this thread will last that long, but we will see. 

When a pregnant woman is killed the perpetrator is often charged with murder, so if the ending of a baby's life in THAT instance is suitable for such a charge....   :unsure:

Jail for the women and anyone who assists. Possibly fines and loss of licenses for lower level assistance. 

Since this is all being driven by Evangelicals, the rest of America is pretty much fine with Roe, let's go with biblical punishment. So as long as the mother isn't killed it's a fine because in the Bible,  based on Exodus, a fetus isn't a person it's property.

Since this is all being driven by Evangelicals, the rest of America is pretty much fine with Roe, let's go with biblical punishment. So as long as the mother isn't killed it's a fine because in the Bible,  based on Exodus, a fetus isn't a person it's property.
The Bible doesn’t allow you to be killed for destroying property? 

The Bible doesn’t allow you to be killed for destroying property? 
Usually it requires replacement as I recall but in this case compensation is called for making it pretty clear that it isn't murder as murder always calls for death of the killer.

Who cares?  If we are the only first world country implementing backwoods laws, doesn't that say something about those who vote for said laws?

Backwoods laws?  Wut are you talking about?  The laws simply move to the States. 

No one gives a darn about what other first world countries are doing about it.  A lot of those first world countries you speak don't even have Freedom of Speech, yet were supposed to follow them on abortion?  Weird.

My guess is that the provider will get in trouble, not the woman.  Suspend their license, pay a fine.  Repeat offenders would risk losing their license permanently, fine and jail time.

Ireland allows unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks and permits it later if the health of the mother or baby is at risk.
Yeah, that’s a new update tot the law. I think within the last couple of years. It had been almost illegal at any time prior to that. 

I think it’s still a little unsettled- but moving in the right direction.  The Catholic Church and teachings obviously carry a lot of weight in Ireland. 

Yeah, that’s a new update tot the law. I think within the last couple of years. It had been almost illegal at any time prior to that. 

I think it’s still a little unsettled- but moving in the right direction.  The Catholic Church and teachings obviously carry a lot of weight in Ireland. 
I have family that live there, so it was a big deal to us when the law was change recently.

My point is most civilized, industrialized countries do not have restrictive abortion laws. 

Restrictive abortion laws are a sign of a country ruled by religion. 
Restrictive abortion laws are sign that a country considers the life of a child precious.

You know, killing the most defenseless among us is not a good look.

Murder charges for whoever performed the abortion, and whatever the legaleze is when you hire someone to commit murder for the mother.

Restrictive abortion laws are sign that a country considers the life of a child precious.

You know, killing the most defenseless among us is not a good look.
What about laws providing health care for the mother and the newborn?  

I hate this topic. 

If the goal is to reduce abortions, pass laws for universal health care, increase funding for child care, approve paid leave for all. 

if you want to limit safe, legal abortions, pass these  types of “heartbeat” laws. Just don’t be surprised when miscarriages increase, women “accidentally” fall down the stairs or drink bleach. We can go back to black market abortions. 

I hate this topic. 

If the goal is to reduce abortions, pass laws for universal health care, increase funding for child care, approve paid leave for all. 

if you want to limit safe, legal abortions, pass these  types of “heartbeat” laws. Just don’t be surprised when miscarriages increase, women “accidentally” fall down the stairs or drink bleach. We can go back to black market abortions. 
And the fear-mongering is starting.

I hate this topic. 

Add to the bolded ease of access to contraception and better sex education. Both have shown to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies.

What's this now? Oklahoma will jail a mom for a miscarriage? 
If we want to consider abortion murder, should all miscarriages be investigated for manslaughter? What if the mother did something against her doctor's advice that may have contributed to the miscarriage?  

Users who are viewing this thread