What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (2 Viewers)

Hey Lunchbox -

Do you care if I start my thread on U2 leftovers? We still have a month plus to go with this thread and by then I will have the LZ countdown going. I can hold off if you want, but seeing we have a gang of U2 peeps gathered together, it makes some sense to kick that off while we are all still around. 

WXPN, a well-known independent radio station in Philly, asked listeners to vote for the best albums of all time, and just finished revealing the list of 2,021 albums. About 4,000 people participated, including Uruk-Hai and myself. Here's where the U2 albums placed.

13. The Joshua Tree

75. Achtung Baby

168. The Unforgettable Fire

188. War

409. Rattle and Hum

504. Boy

542. All That You Can't Leave Behind

823. October

1301. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

2013. Under a Blood Red Sky (live and compilation albums were eligible)

Good showing, but I can never take any "greatest albums" thing seriously if compilation albums (or greatest hits or best ofs or whatever) are included.  

@John Maddens LunchboxSpeaking of Rankings, I really wish i would have had the time to submit a ranked list to you.   However, immediately after seeing that we were including 228 songs in our scope, I realized I wanted to stay married, employed, and get a decent amount of sleep.    

I do remember others speaking up & saying the same thing about not being able to accomplish the task......
So, it got me thinking that I should at the very least try to put together my Top 10  (or Top 20) songs & send them to you.      (if that's ok by you?).

Maybe some of the others in this thread will volunteer to do the same?
and then they can be published (or averaged together) after it is all said & done to get additional perspective.

What do you say?
@Alex P Keaton   and get the Mrs APK to do the same
@Ghost Rider   @rockaction
@Pip's Invitation @Acrobat7

and any others in the thread that feel up to the task.
With all due respect, another countdown of U2 songs would be feel anti-climatic, and I am sure Lunchbox will be a little happy when this over given how much time and effort he has put into it. I will be happy to just post my top 10 or 20 or whatever once this is done. :)

@John Maddens LunchboxSpeaking of Rankings, I really wish i would have had the time to submit a ranked list to you.   However, immediately after seeing that we were including 228 songs in our scope, I realized I wanted to stay married, employed, and get a decent amount of sleep.    

I do remember others speaking up & saying the same thing about not being able to accomplish the task......
So, it got me thinking that I should at the very least try to put together my Top 10  (or Top 20) songs & send them to you.      (if that's ok by you?).

and then they can be published (or averaged together) after it is all said & done to get additional perspective.

What do you say?

I’d be glad to post my top-20 or whatever.  I’ve already ranked top-50, but of course I keep shuffling them around.

Mrs APK refuses to rank songs (🙄) but I’ll figure out a way to extract the info from her.  She claims that her brain just doesn’t work this way, but really, how tough is this?  It’s pretty clear she’s just being obstinate. ;)

It would be interesting to see what the top-whatever lists look like for others.

#42 - Every Breaking Wave (2014)   Highest- 39     Lowest- 88      Songs of Innocence LP
Vulture-131/218 - Bono has said that while he might not understand certain things in the world, he understands relationships, & writes about them w empathy & nuance. He’s also drawn to using the sea as metaphor, which works here. The choruses are bright & impassioned

Comment - Bye Bye SoI. Nice album track. May be a grower w more time. Surprisingly for a newer track I am equal lowest on it. I prefer 6 other tracks on this album to this 1. Its a nice song & all, but it lacks a spark. 
Songfact:
U2 began recording "Every Breaking Wave" in Sydney, Australia, & the song was originally intended to be included on U2's 2009 studio album No Line on the HorizonThe track was ultimately left off NLOTH at the advice of Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, who told the band that the song "deserves to be finished."

In 2010, while on their 360 Tour, U2 performed the song live 3 times on their Europe leg.  
Here is one of those original Aug 2010 concert versions

During that time period, Bono mentioned tentative plans for the group to release a follow-up record, called Songs of Ascent, & said that the 1st single was intended to be "Every Breaking Wave".  However, the project was continually delayed, as U2 struggled to complete an album to their satisfaction & were limited by other commitments.  In 2013, it eventually it was re-configured after Ryan Tedder was brought on as a co-producer & the Final Version was included on the 2014 Songs of Innocence album release.

Bono said of the song:

• "it went down the drain for 7 yrs, up the ####, as these things do."    
  • "Its bright synth sounds were influenced by OMD & "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul like this".
  • "If you hear it played on a piano, you just fall over. And if it doesn’t move you, you’re either deaf or dead, or you should be."
Here is how the song's lyrics were re-configured:    

Final Version Lyrics                                       Orginal song lyrics that were performed live
Every breaking wave on the shore              Every breaking wave on the shore
Tells the next one there'll be one more      Til the next one there’ll be one more
And every gambler knows that to lose       Every gambler knows That to lose
Is what you're really there for                       Is what you’re really there for

Summer I was fearless                                 Somewhere else, fearlessness
Now I speak into an answer phone             Now I’m speaking to an answer phone
Like every silent leave on the breeze           Every falling leaf on the breeze
Winter wouldn't leave it alone                       Winter wouldn’t leave her alone
Alone                 
                                                                           Ay hey now
If you go                                                           Ay hey now
If you go your way and I go mine
Are we so                                                         I don’t know if I’m that strong
Are we so helpless against the tide            I don’t know if I’m that strong
Baby, every dog on the street                       Don’t know if I’m that strong
Knows that we’re in love with defeat           To be somebody
Are we ready to be swept off our feet         To need someone
And stop chasing every breaking wave

Every sailor knows that the sea                          Every sailor knows that the sea
Is a friend made enemy                                        Is a friend made enemy
And every shipwrecked soul knows what it is  And every shipwrecked soul knows what it is
To live without intimacy                                       To live without intimacy

I thought I heard the captain’s voice               I thought I heard the master’s voice
It's hard to listen while you preach                 It’s hard to listen while you preach
Like every broken wave on the shore             Like every broken wave on the shore
This was as far as I can reach                        This is as far as I can reach

If you go                                                           Ay hey now
If you go your way and I go mine                 Ay hey now
Are we so
Are we so helpless against the tide            I don’t know if I’m that strong
Baby, every dog on the street                        I don’t know if I’m that strong
Knows that we’re in love with defeat           Don’t know if I’m that strong
Are we ready to be swept off our feet         Got to be somebody
And stop chasing every breaking wave       To need someone

The waves know where are the rocks         The waves know we're on the rocks
And drowning is no sin                                  Drowning is no sin
You know where my heart is                        You know That my heart
The same place that yours has been          Is the same place yours has been
And we know the fear to win                        We know Here with
And so we end before we begin                   The end before it begins
Before we begin

If you go                                                           The waves know
If you go your way and I go mine                 We’re on the rocks
Are we so                                                         Drowning is no sin
Are we so helpless against the tide            You know That my heart
Baby, every dog on the street                       Is the same place yours has been
Knows that we’re in love with defeat          We know Here with
Are we ready to be swept off our feet        The end before it begins
And stop chasing every breaking wave

Videos: 
Belfast-born filmmaker Aoife McCardle directed a short 13-minute film titled Every Breaking Wave based on this song & SoI's final track "The Troubles." The mini-movie tells a love story between a Catholic & a Protestant youngster. McCardle: "I wanted to make a film about what it was like to be a teenager in the early '80s in Northern Ireland. All the different pressures on you, the pressures of friendship, of falling in love for the first time, & all that in the face of huge troubles.  Violence was inescapable on your doorstep. I remember very vividly what it was like to grow up when there were bombs going off & army everywhere, so I did draw on a lot of memories."  The song's official music video (JML's link)  is a condensed, 4 1/2-minute version of the 13-minute short film.

U2 also released 11 videos directed by politically minded street artists to accompany the album under the title Films of Innocence. The clip for this song was filmed by South African-born Berlin based artist Robin Rhode. The filmmaker was inspired by the social issues in his home country & by U2's close connection. "It was an inspirational project especially as I fell in love w the song,  46 second Films of Innocence trailer   (I wasn't aware of these....Has anyone on this board seen them?)

Every Breaking Wave - Bono & The Edge | On Ireland's The Late Late Show 2014
Every Breaking Wave, live from the MTV EMA's Nov 2014
With backing Orchestra-1          U2 With String section-2
An acoustic version of the song, recorded in Malibu, California, was included on the deluxe version of SoI. (features the Edge on piano & an orchestra accompaniment.....so it may be one of the links above).

In the US, EBW peaked at #34 on the Adult Top 40 Billboard charts.
EBW was voted 3rd best song of 2014 by Rolling Stone.
When Rolling Stone ranked their Top50 songs from U2, this song landed at #13.

Been played 108 times.......3 times on the 2010  360 Tour.....and mostly on the I+E and 2019 TJT Anniv Tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
And remember that all those songs are ranked higher than Bullet.

(I was too lazy to send in my rankings so I have to live with it. 😐)

I sent in a list. I will continue to be salty for you. Not going down without a fight. 
Got to be in it to win it. Or some other cliche. I am pretty salty that some of the new stuff got overlooked, but hey ho. 

If its any consolation, if the bottom ranking was changed from 175 to 50, it ranks #23. 175 to 100 it ranks at #33. Even 130 instead of 175 puts it at #38.

I dont think it would have been fair to drop the lowest ranking. May as well drop the highest too. This list would have been crazy different if we did so. All rankers get equal rank for all songs.

Maybe a top 50 would have got a lot more lists in, but imho may as well celebrate an artists whole catalog....within reason. I am sure there are several who have heard songs that they never would otherwise and enjoyed them immensely

What do you say?

This isn’t a problem. Anyone else wishing to submit after this is over is welcome. Probably just need to agree on a number for everyone, be it 10, 25 or 50 or whatever. Maybe even the 4 rankers can change theirs, I know i would. I know if I ever do this again I dont do an artists whole catalog, despite it feeling more pure to me. Queen is probably the one I would do next and just get peoples top 50. Not in any hurry. 

For a post U2 list, I love numbers so it would be a fun exercise so will ask for this down the road, 

Hey Lunchbox -

Do you care if I start my thread on U2 leftovers? We still have a month plus to go with this thread and by then I will have the LZ countdown going. I can hold off if you want, but seeing we have a gang of U2 peeps gathered together, it makes some sense to kick that off while we are all still around. 
Include it here, start your own, whatever works for you. Whenever. Not sure how many eyes are going to be on songs 229 to 500 odd,  but it could be interesting. Good luck

With all due respect, another countdown of U2 songs would be feel anti-climatic, and I am sure Lunchbox will be a little happy when this over given how much time and effort he has put into it. I will be happy to just post my top 10 or 20 or whatever once this is done. :)
Its all good. Love numbers so pissing around with more numbers will be fun. If people want to send me their top 10, 20, 25, 50 or whatever, or list them here, I am sure I can compile some kind of Gents V Rankers list. 

Most if my time spent on this has been listening to the last 2 albums over and over again. Enjoyable. Collating each ranked song takes maybe 10 minutes after the initial few hours getting all the background data. I already have songs 41-30 100% ready to go. Updating the OP each day is probably the biggest PITA

I’d be glad to post my top-20 or whatever.  I’ve already ranked top-50, but of course I keep shuffling them around.

Mrs APK refuses to rank songs (🙄) but I’ll figure out a way to extract the info from her.  She claims that her brain just doesn’t work this way, but really, how tough is this?  It’s pretty clear she’s just being obstinate. ;)

It would be interesting to see what the top-whatever lists look like for others.
I think we will find great consternation at missing songs that you want to include, but dont have room for. One of the benefits of doing 228 lol. 

You will have songs that you feel need to be included, but arent in your top 10, 20, 50 or whatever. Be true to what you like. If that means putting Landlady at #1 and Happiness is a Warm Gun at #2, so be it.

Right now, I got 41 to go lol

U2 began recording "Every Breaking Wave" in Sydney, Australia, & the song was originally intended to be included on U2's 2009 studio album No Line on the HorizonThe track was ultimately left off NLOTH at the advice of Coldplay frontman Chris Martin, who told the band that the song "deserves to be finished."
I thought we stopped talking about Coldplay lol. In this case he was right

Bono said of the song:

• "it went down the drain for 7 yrs, up the ####, as these things do."    
  • "Its bright synth sounds were influenced by OMD & "early electronica." "You don't hear indie bands doing blue-eyed soul like this".
  • "If you hear it played on a piano, you just fall over. And if it doesn’t move you, you’re either deaf or dead, or you should be."
You could have knocked me down with a feather. This song. THIS SONG was influenced by OMD????? If you had said Sleep Like a Baby tonight, yep I would agree. I even said as much when I ranked it. Nice quote from Bono. Glad he could be find influence from my fave band. Every Breaking Wave now enters my top 10 U2 songs haha.

If I had my way I would countdown OMD songs from 250 to 1, but it would get pretty lonely when I ranked If You Leave at about #175. I am a realist. No ones going to join me on that journey. For the record Maid of Orleans (Waltz of Joan of Arc) would be my number 1. 

I am glad Bono can see the “blue eyed soul” of Synth Pop. Former Ultravox! Frontman And electronic pioneer John Foxx said the synth is the instrument of Urban Blues. 

Lets do #41 while I am here and begin the Casey Kasem countdown of the Top 40 tomorrow.

#41 - Discotheque (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 95

Where to Find it - Pop LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 63/218 - Is this “Where the Streets Have No Name” or “New Year’s Day”? No, but it has a good beat and you can dance to it, and the video is hilarious: pouting Larry, Adam with a giant disco ball over his crotch, and major homoeroticism between Edge and Bono. A lengthy book could be written about the disaster that was Pop and the subsequent tour, but this track, at least, is a good bit of fun.

Comment - Interesting. This song works, unlike a lot on this album. Not perfect by any stretch, but a fun tune and a fun video. Weirdly enough lands at #41 despite its highest ranking being 58. It does have rankings of 58,58 and 59. Even Vulture has it at #63. The difference in ranking a song #40 overall and #58 overall is very slight. 20 ranking spots difference by one individual and it moves to the top of this tier (40) or the bottom (58)

Next up, All that you can’t leave behind amazingly still has 5 tracks to go. The first of these lands soon. Or will we have an aptly numbered/named track here?

The admin to Date with 188 songs listed and 40 to go)

B-Sides = 49 (15 covers) - (1 track to go here and in Soundtracks etc)

Soundtracks/Special/Greatest Hits LPs - 19

No Line On The Horizon = 11 (All Done)

Songs of Innocence - 12 (All Done)

Zooropa - 9 (1 to go)

October = 10 (1 to go)

Songs of Experience = 12 (1 to go)

Rattle and Hum - 11 (1 to go)

Pop - 11 (1 to go)

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 10 (2 to go)

Boy - 8 (3 to go)

War - 7 (3 to go)

The Unforgettable Fire - 6 (4 to go)

All that you can’t leave behind - 7 (5 to go)

The Joshua Tree - 4 (7 to go)

Achtung Baby - 2 (10 to go)

With only 40 tracks to go we have already said goodbye to 2 albums. 5 albums are on their last track. Achtung Baby still has 10 to go....out of 40. We also only have 1 anomaly track to go. 

In the next batch of 10, 2 tracks from Achtung Baby pop up, 2 albums bid their farewells and we start getting a string of major tracks with regularity. 

I thought we stopped talking about Coldplay lol. In this case he was right
Upon reading that comment, I knew I HAD TO include it.  :lol:

I think we will find great consternation at missing songs that you want to include, but dont have room for. One of the benefits of doing 228 lol. 

You will have songs that you feel need to be included, but arent in your top 10, 20, 50 or whatever. Be true to what you like. If that means putting Landlady at #1 and Happiness is a Warm Gun at #2, so be it.

Right now, I got 41 to go lol
I think this was meant for someone else

Alex P Keaton said:
I think this was meant for someone else
I was responding this post of yours

I’d be glad to post my top-20 or whatever.  I’ve already ranked top-50, but of course I keep shuffling them around.

Mrs APK refuses to rank songs (🙄) but I’ll figure out a way to extract the info from her.  She claims that her brain just doesn’t work this way, but really, how tough is this?  It’s pretty clear she’s just being obstinate. 

Maybe I went on a slight tangent, but essentially i am saying its much more difficult once you have to do a list of X (10, 20, 50 etc). Its easy to say now, “thats in my top 25”. Once you start, you realise that your top 25 has 47 possibilities.

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
Lets do #41 while I am here and begin the Casey Kasem countdown of the Top 40 tomorrow.

#41 - Discotheque (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 95

Vulture.com ranking and comment - 63/218 - Is this “Where the Streets Have No Name” or “New Year’s Day”? No, but it has a good beat and you can dance to it, and the video is hilarious: pouting Larry, Adam with a giant disco ball over his crotch, and major homoeroticism between Edge and Bono. A lengthy book could be written about the disaster that was Pop and the subsequent tour, but this track, at least, is a good bit of fun.

Comment - Interesting. This song works, unlike a lot on this album. Not perfect by any stretch, but a fun tune and a fun video. Weirdly enough lands at #41 despite its highest ranking being 58. It does have rankings of 58,58 and 59. Even Vulture has it at #63. The difference in ranking a song #40 overall and #58 overall is very slight. 20 ranking spots difference by one individual and it moves to the top of this tier (40) or the bottom (58)

Next up, All that you can’t leave behind amazingly still has 5 tracks to go. The first of these lands soon. Or will we have an aptly numbered/named track here?
Certainly one of the best songs from Pop. I’ve always found it a guilty pleasure. The riffing is persistent and the groove is fierce. 

I was responding this post of yours

Maybe I went on a slight tangent, but essentially i am saying its much more difficult once you have to do a list of X (10, 20, 50 etc). Its easy to say now, “thats in my top 25”. Once you start, you realise that your top 25 has 47 possibilities.
Ah.  Got it.  Yeah, that’s why it’s such a valuable exercise to rank them all.  

i am saying its much more difficult once you have to do a list of X (10, 20, 50 etc). Its easy to say now, “thats in my top 25”. Once you start, you realise that your top 25 has 47 possibilities.
I just did my Top25 & saved it for now.......I think that is do-able for most U2 fans.
I feel good about it, but I certainly know what you mean as I did have another 8-10 songs on my list that had to be left off & will re-evaluate at a later date

Ah.  Got it.  Yeah, that’s why it’s such a valuable exercise to rank them all.  
For me, I literally would have to rank all the songs once a week and then take an average after a year. There are way to many outside variables that would impact my rankings on any given day. Clearly I have interest n doing that, but that would be the only way for me to have an accurate list. 

Discothèque is one of those songs that feels like they never nailed it.  There is a really good song in there somewhere, I just don't know where it went and neither does the band.  I remember this getting played for the first time on our local rock radio station when it was brand new, and you could tell it was the new to the deejay as well because when it was over, he bluntly said, "Well, that sucked, I don't see us playing that again." :lol:   And I don't think they did. 

#41 - Discotheque (1997)   Highest- 58   Lowest- 95       Pop LP
Vulture- 63/218 - Is this “Streets" or “NYD”? No, but it has a good beat & you can dance to it, & the video is hilarious: pouting Larry, Adam w a giant disco ball over his crotch, & major homoeroticism betw Edge & Bono. A lengthy book could be written about the disaster that was Pop & the subsequent tour, but this track, at least, is a good bit of fun

Comment - Interesting. This song works, unlike a lot on this album. Not perfect by any stretch, but a fun tune & a fun video. Weirdly enough lands at #41 despite its highest ranking being 58. It does have rankings of 58,58 & 59. Even Vulture has it at #63. The difference in ranking a song #40 overall & #58 overall is very slight. 20 ranking spots difference by one individual & it moves to the top of this tier (40) or the bottom (58)
Songfact:
The 1st single from 1997’s Pop, “Discothèque” was the initial volley for the band’s brief late-90s foray into electronic music, perhaps the most polarizing moment of U2’s career. The song – which Bono called an “earnest little riddle about love … just disguised as trash” – came equipped w a brittle techno feel & a music video where the band dressed up like the Village People.

“We’re actually trying to make a kind of music that doesn’t exist yet,” Bono said of U2’s new sound. “That is a terrifying place to be.” His trepidation was not unwarranted: Reception to the bold change was mixed & though Pop debuted at #1, it fell out of the Top 10 3 wks later, leading some to believe U2 had lost their commercial instincts. “We don’t just live in the U.S.,” replied Bono. “It was #1 in 28 countries. I can’t believe people think that’s not enough. What do they want from us?”

This was U2's 1st experiment with Electronica. Disc jockey Howie B put together the backing track. It was a popular song in dance clubs, but alienated many of U2's fans.

The band had to learn this quickly for their Popmart Tour. It was an elaborate show, & they did not have proper time to rehearse, making this very difficult to perform. On that tour, it was the 1st song in the encore. They would emerge from a giant lemon for the performance.

In the UK, this went to #1 the first wk it was released.

In a 2006 article by Stylus, the magazine had trouble trying to classify the genre of the song, calling it "sheer WTFery" & "permanently unclassifiable".

Been played live 156 times......nearly all on the PopMart, Elevation, and 360 Tours

My momma told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all...........nothing to see here.  I listened to JML's link 1 time.........Now, let's keep moving on to the next song.

#41 - Discotheque (1997)

Highest Rank - 58

Lowest Rank - 95

I actually enjoy this song.   My daughter is still upset about Another Time Another Place being at #154 (“how is Discotheque 113 slots about ATAP?”).  Despite that, I’ve come to enjoy this song partly because it’s been 24 years since it disappointed me so deeply, and partly because this thread has me in a mood to be more open-minded.

Good beat, good dance song, most other artists would kill to make a song this good.

I actually enjoy this song.   My daughter is still upset about Another Time Another Place being at #154 (“how is Discotheque 113 slots about ATAP?”).  Despite that, I’ve come to enjoy this song partly because it’s been 24 years since it disappointed me so deeply, and partly because this thread has me in a mood to be more open-minded.

Good beat, good dance song, most other artists would kill to make a song this good.
Despite my earlier post, I do not think it is a bad song at all. I just think nailing it completely has eluded them. The main riff is killer, and the beat is great, but the hook doesn't land enough for me, and even live it was still lacking that special something.  Definitely better than Pop's misses like The Playboy Mansion, but I don't feel it touches stuff like Staring at the Sun, Do You Feel Loved or the song still to be featured. 

With 40 tracks to go, time for some reevaluation too.

Tracks I would like to rank 50 or more spots higher than I did:

North and South of the River, The Troubles, I’m Not Your Baby, Breathe and my biggest mover, the Little Things that give you away which I ranked at #206. Now it would push my top 50. One of us had it at #26. They were right. 

Songs I would put at least 50 spots lower.

Get on your Boots - 228 isn’t low enough,

Bullet the Blue Sky - I was too chicken to be true to myself on this one,

Fire which i always liked, but its pants really. Newer tracks arent immune.

I had Red Flag Day way too high at #69 and Raised By Wolves which somehow got a #39 rank out of me. Probably at least 70 spots lower now. 

#40 - Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get out Of (2000)

Highest Rank - 50

Lowest Rank - 86

Where to Find it - All That You Can’t Leave Behind LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -73/218 - Brian Eno can throw everything into a blender that he wants, but this is still a gospel song at its heart — a tribute to Michael Hutchence, the late INXS singer who was a friend of the band and whose suicide weighed heavily on Bono and Edge particularly. Bono told Rolling Stone, “t’s a row I didn’t have while he was alive.” The last three stanzas of the song are heart-wrenching.

Comment - i could have manufactured “40” landing here, as the ranking difference wouldnt have been that dramatic, but played it pure. Consecutive tracks that have a final ranking way higher than any of us ranked it. This is Another single that does nothing for me. Im sure it has a Powerful message and all, but its just pleasant. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Next up, Joshua Tree is on quite the run. After that its Achtung Babys turn

#40 - Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get out Of (2000)  Highest-50  Lowest-86     ATYCLB
Vulture-73/218 - Brian Eno can throw everything into a blender that he wants, but this is still a gospel song at its heart — a tribute to Michael Hutchence, the late INXS singer who was a friend of the band and whose suicide weighed heavily on Bono and Edge particularly. Bono told Rolling Stone, “t’s a row I didn’t have while he was alive.” The last three stanzas of the song are heart-wrenching

Comment - Consecutive tracks that have a final ranking way higher than any of us ranked it. Another single that does nothing for me. Im sure it has a Powerful message & all, but its just pleasant. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Songfact:
Bono was a close friend of INXS frontman Michael Hutchence, & the singer’s 1997 suicide impacted him very deeply.  The lyrics were is inspired by a fictional conversation he has w Hutchence about suicide. Bono characterized the song as a fight between friends, which he felt guilty for never having w him.

"It's a row between mates. You're kinda trying to wake them up out of an idea. In my case it's a row I didn't have while he was alive. I feel the biggest respect I could pay to him was not to write some stupid soppy f$%^ing song, so I wrote a really tough, nasty little number, slapping him around the head. And I'm sorry, but that's how it came out of me."  

The song is both a tribute to Hutchence & message of understanding, letting anyone going through a rough time know that it will pass.  When this song is performed in concert, Bono often says "this is for Michael.
"Bono:  “I just knew that if Michael had hung around an extra half an hr, he would have been OK” 

Bono said that he & Hutchence discussed suicide in the past: "We discussed suicide a few times & we both agreed how pathetic it was." Bono said they had "kinda promised each other" neither would ever kill themselves.  
Bono & Hutchence's family vacationed together in the South of France for many yrs, where Hutchence & his girlfriend, Helena Christensen, had a home. Bono also says that Michael was really upset about the suicide of Kurt Cobain, & would bring it up here & there, saying that if Cobain had only been able to get away from Seattle & his fame, he probably would have lived.

Lyrics:
        I was unconcious, half asleep
       The water is warm till you discover how deep
        I wasn't jumping, for me it was a fall
       It's a long way down to nothing at all

Mick Jagger & his 16 yr-old daughter, Elizabeth, came to their Dublin studio & sang backup on this. U2 decided to go another direction w the song & did not use their vocal tracks.  The band sent Mick Jagger a copy of his version of this song & thanked him & his daughter in the album's liner notes.   (in Oct 2009, Mick Jagger joined U2 on stage at Madison Square Garden to sing this song Link)

This won the 2001 Grammy for Best Pop Performance By a Duo or Group With Vocal. It was the 1st award given out on the show, which U2 opened w a performance of "Walk On."

An acoustic version was included on a 2002 album of rarities called U2 7, which was distributed through Target stores.

When Apple Computer started their online music store in 2003, an acoustic version of this was offered as an exclusive to the service. It was the #1 downloaded song the first week of the service.

Release:   the singles from the album were done this way:
Worldwide..........1. Beautiful Day    2. Stuck       3. Elevation          4. Walk On
North America:..1. Beautiful Day    2. Walk On   3. Elevation          4. Stuck

"Stuck in a Moment" peaked at #1 in Canada, #2 in the UK, #3 in Australia, and #52 in the US

Videos:  3 different videos were made for this song.
The first, directed by Kevin Godley, shows the band coming to Bono's aid after he gets tossed out of a van. This 1 uses a technique Godley pioneered in The Police video for "Wrapped Around Your Finger" where the action is in slow motion but the singer is lip-synching at regular speed. This is accomplished by shooting the film at double speed & having the singer mime to a sped-up version of the song.

The 2nd video (US version), directed by Joseph Kahn (Kahn also directed "Elevation").  It was shot in Berlin while the band was betw tour dates to tie in w U2's performance at the 2002 Super Bowl - it shows them in a stadium watching a football game (the American kind).
Dave Evens - Head Coach of The Lemons 🍋    vs     Paul McGuinness - Head Coach of The Flys      
(at the end of the US version, the old man that appears is in fact Bob Hewson, Bono's father, who died whilst they were doing the Elevation tour)

The third video (Eze version), directed by Joe Edwards & James Mather, was made for the Elevation 2001 - U2 Live from Boston DVD. It combines footage of the band performing the song in a Dublin studio w clips of the band members relaxing in Eze, France.

Landed at #33 when Rolling Stone ranked their Top50 U2 songs

Stuck w Orchestra backing  (pretty good version here)
Acoustic Stuck - Bono + Edge on David Letterman 2011
the Radio.com beach house version  In June 2018, Bono & Edge played at a Cape Cod beach house, performing for 200 radio contest winners. They played 6 songs including  "Stuck"

Been played live 221 times

Stuck in a Moment is a tough song to really love but also one that’s tough to knock. I think that’s represented in the ranking. No one really loved it and no one threw it overboard. It’s odd that it didn’t really get top tier rankings from any of us but yet it ranked in the Top 17% of songs. 

Stuck in a Moment is a tough song to really love but also one that’s tough to knock. I think that’s represented in the ranking. No one really loved it and no one threw it overboard. It’s odd that it didn’t really get top tier rankings from any of us but yet it ranked in the Top 17% of songs. 
Just shows how the math works — songs get pulled down if someone hates the song.

I really like Stuck.  I had it at 19 on my original list, and 28 on my first revision, it’s still top-40 for me now.   But it’s a song I love less relative to others the more and more I listen obsessively to U2.

For me it’s a little like Staring at the Sun or maybe Surrender.  Emotional and stirs up something, but I want to love it more than I do.  Which is why it keeps sliding down my list with each re-ranking.

Just shows how the math works — songs get pulled down if someone hates the song.

I really like Stuck.  I had it at 19 on my original list, and 28 on my first revision, it’s still top-40 for me now.   But it’s a song I love less relative to others the more and more I listen obsessively to U2.

For me it’s a little like Staring at the Sun or maybe Surrender.  Emotional and stirs up something, but I want to love it more than I do.  Which is why it keeps sliding down my list with each re-ranking.
I was at 86 (and lowest) on Stuck in a Moment. That makes it not quite in their Top Third of songs. On a good day, with the ebb and flow of rankings, maybe it creeps closer to the Top Quarter . . . and on a bad day maybe it slides to Top Half. The album version isn't exactly fully fleshed out . . . but the live Bono and Edge acoustic version is even sparser. I think I want to like it more . . . but something holds it back for me. Not sure why. And I don't see how it's 16 songs better than Bullet. Yes, I am going to bring this up several more times.

the acoustic version of the song on Letterman in 2011 (linked above), performed while Bono is sitting down the entire time, is absolutely incredible and evidence of why these two men (Bono and Edge) are all-time great musicians.  Masters of their craft.

Biggest show?  check.

Smallest show? check.

Why and how?  greatness.

And I don't see how it's 16 songs better than Bullet. Yes, I am going to bring this up several more times.
😎

The methodology to this caused that. If i ever do this exercise again with say Queen, I do it different, a) you have the right approach with led zeppelin. Get the punters in. Problem is that some songs worthy of discussion dont get included

B) the low ranking is entirely valid. In this case I agree with it, but it the reverse happens with songs I love. We needed more people to take the edge off the lowest rankings, or anomalous high rankings to be fair. 

I wanted every song, and i know we missed some and added a few too many in, but i wanted to celebrate the whole catalog. Ranking 228-1 will have some unintended consequences. Bullet is one of them.

i also didnt want this to be predictable. Mission accomplished lol. 

#40 - Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get out Of (2000)

Highest Rank - 50

Lowest Rank - 86

Where to Find it - All That You Can’t Leave Behind LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -73/218 - Brian Eno can throw everything into a blender that he wants, but this is still a gospel song at its heart — a tribute to Michael Hutchence, the late INXS singer who was a friend of the band and whose suicide weighed heavily on Bono and Edge particularly. Bono told Rolling Stone, “t’s a row I didn’t have while he was alive.” The last three stanzas of the song are heart-wrenching.

Comment - i could have manufactured “40” landing here, as the ranking difference wouldnt have been that dramatic, but played it pure. Consecutive tracks that have a final ranking way higher than any of us ranked it. This is Another single that does nothing for me. Im sure it has a Powerful message and all, but its just pleasant. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

Next up, Joshua Tree is on quite the run. After that its Achtung Babys turn

A song structured like this needs to have a great chorus. And this one doesn’t. It sounds stilted and over-enunciated. Missed opportunity here. 

Stuck in a Moment... was a rare U2 song for me that I disliked it first and then ended up liking a lot.  Feels like most U2 songs show their hand pretty quickly, but this one hit its cards well for a while with me.  I don't revisit much of All That You Can't Leave Behind, but this is one of the 3-4 I will listen to on purpose. 

#39 - Trip Through Your Wires (1987)

Highest Rank - 42

Lowest Rank - 85

Where to Find it - The Joshua Tree LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -68/218 - “‘Trip Through Your Wires’ has that lovely loose, sloppy, throwaway side of the band that we can sometimes capture,” Adam Clayton said, and he speaks the truth. It has a groove; it genuinely swings; it feels organic and fun. The lyrics pull from that drowsy, lustful space that many of the B-sides (“Spanish Eyes,” “Luminous Times”) come from, and on the original Joshua Tree tour, it often found that rhythm. It ended up being one of the disappointments of the 2017 tour, feeling a tad plodding, and you can’t even blame the theory that an album track list (thank you, Kirsty MacColl) does not have the same concerns as a live one.

Comment - Probably the weakest track on Joshua Tree and its still a very good song. May be more suited to Rattle and Hum and I think if you were listening back to back Joshua Tree to Rattle and Hum, stick this track last on TJT and Open up with Angel of Harlem on Rattle and Hum. Still Trip beat out 4 other tracks from Joshua Tree so it must have its fans. 

Next up, bye bye to another album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Gone from Pop, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, You’re the Best Thing about Me from Songs of Experience or Gloria from October?

Highest Rank - 42

Lowest Rank - 85

Vulture.com ranking and comment -68/218 - “‘Trip Through Your Wires’ has that lovely loose, sloppy, throwaway side of the band that we can sometimes capture,” Adam Clayton said, and he speaks the truth. It has a groove; it genuinely swings; it feels organic and fun. The lyrics pull from that drowsy, lustful space that many of the B-sides (“Spanish Eyes,” “Luminous Times”) come from, and on the original Joshua Tree tour, it often found that rhythm. It ended up being one of the disappointments of the 2017 tour, feeling a tad plodding, and you can’t even blame the theory that an album track list (thank you, Kirsty MacColl) does not have the same concerns as a live one.

Comment - Probably the weakest track on Joshua Tree and its still a very good song. May be more suited to Rattle and Hum and I think if you were listening back to back Joshua Tree to Rattle and Hum, stick this track last on TJT and Open up with Angel of Harlem on Rattle and Hum. Still Trip beat out 4 other tracks from Joshua Tree so it must have its fans. 

Next up, bye bye to another album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Gone from Pop, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, You’re the Best Thing about Me from Songs of Experience or Gloria from October?
#21 on my list.   Agree that it was plodding on the 2017 tour — which was disappointing.  I have it ranked 5th on TJT, but that includes two highly controversial placements of beloved songs.  I’ll wait to comment on one of those later, but Bullet didn’t make my top-50. 

Good observation that this might belong on R&H.  Hadn’t thought about that, but it makes sense.

Trip Through Your Wires is solid.  I didn't like it for a long time, but I can enjoy it now within the flow and context of the record, though it's not one I ever listen to on its own.  The harmonica is a love or hate instrument for me, and I find its use of it in this song to be grating. 

Highest Rank - 42

Lowest Rank - 85

It's not among their very best, but I would question the taste of anyone who disliked it. It's a swinging, melodic rock and roll song that executes what it means to do very well. It's easy for me to imagine someone loving U2 but hating Discotheque or Lemon, whereas it's impossible for me to imagine someone loving U2 but hating this. 

What is WITH you people? 😄
Good question. I knew U2 were  “political” when I first started listening to them. When I heard this track, even as someone who loves political music takes, especially left leaning ones, i found it too much. Even if this song was called Bundle the Blue Fly and focused on the adventures of an insect, the music just isnt my kind of U2 track. I do appreciate that others LOVE this track though which is why I knew it would be a shock appearing so early. 

I will come back to this thread and read it start to finish -to do it justice- when I have the time. 

I'm not the greatest concert goer, but I have been to 6 U2 concerts, including back-to-back nights.  Which were totally different, but awesome experiences.  The first night Bono came within 15 feet of us.  The next night we were farther way, but we were under an overhang on a foggy night with a light drizzle that made me feel like I was on a front porch on the Irish moors.  I can't tell you which one was better, but they were both more than 25 years ago and I still remember them vividly.

Anyway, U2 is tied with Led Zeppelin and The Stones as my favorite bands.

But my favorite song of all time is without a doubt Running to Stand Still.  I could listen to that song five times in a row and be disappointed when it wasn't played a sixth time.  Just the greatest song ever written and performed.

This is all off the cuff, so I will say that Bad and Bullet the Blue Sky are up there in my top 20 of all time by any band.  (Along with a whole bunch of Zeppelin songs, maybe I should start my own thread about Led Zepellin, lol)

Oh and to further derail this thread (sorry) Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd will always be in my Top Five, even though I am not a huge fan of Pink Floyd.

I will come back to this thread and read it start to finish -to do it justice- when I have the time. 

I'm not the greatest concert goer, but I have been to 6 U2 concerts, including back-to-back nights.  Which were totally different, but awesome experiences.  The first night Bono came within 15 feet of us.  The next night we were farther way, but we were under an overhang on a foggy night with a light drizzle that made me feel like I was on a front porch on the Irish moors.  I can't tell you which one was better, but they were both more than 25 years ago and I still remember them vividly.

Anyway, U2 is tied with Led Zeppelin and The Stones as my favorite bands.

But my favorite song of all time is without a doubt Running to Stand Still.  I could listen to that song five times in a row and be disappointed when it wasn't played a sixth time.  Just the greatest song ever written and performed.

This is all off the cuff, so I will say that Bad and Bullet the Blue Sky are up there in my top 20 of all time by any band.  (Along with a whole bunch of Zeppelin songs, maybe I should start my own thread about Led Zepellin, lol)

Oh and to further derail this thread (sorry) Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd will always be in my Top Five, even though I am not a huge fan of Pink Floyd.
Looking forward to your comments. 228 to 39 is some catchup to do. 

Only one of the 3 songs you mentioned has been ranked to date so once the other 2 get listed, hammer away at them. You can talk about Bullet all you want. It controversially landed at 56. 

#39 - Trip Through Your Wires (1987)   Highest-42   Lowest- 85     The Joshua Tree LP
Vulture-68/218 - has that lovely loose, sloppy, throwaway side of the band that we can sometimes capture,” Adam Clayton said,& he speaks the truth. It has a groove; it genuinely swings; it feels organic & fun. The lyrics pull from that drowsy, lustful space that many of the B-sides (“Spanish Eyes,” “Luminous Times”) come from, & on the original JT tour, it often found that rhythm. It ended up being one of the disappointments of the 2017 tour, feeling a tad plodding, & you can’t even blame the theory that an album track list (thank you, Kirsty MacColl) does not have the same concerns as a live one

Comment - Probably the weakest track on JT & its still a very good song. May be more suited to R&H & I think if you were listening back to back JT to R&H, stick this track last on TJT & Open up w Angel of Harlem on R&H. Still Trip beat out 4 other tracks fr JT so it must have its fans. 
Songfact:
This song is about a girl who evokes tremendous passion in a guy. The title is a play on "Trip Wire," which is a low-placed wire that often sets off a trap. Bono sings about being caught up in all her "wires."

In 1986, U2 played "Trip" for the 1st time on an Irish RTE Television show called TV Gaga with 2 other songs. Promoted as a "different" U2 sound, they played a raw version w no processing. Link
      ‘Woman Fish’                             28 min mark                     
       ‘I Trip Through Your Wires’      33 min mark
      ‘Knocking on Heaven’s Door’   38 min 

Bono played the harmonica on this track, an instrument he 1st started playing when the band was just starting out & attempting to cover the Neil Young song "Heart Of Gold."

Daniel Lanois plays an electric autoharp called the Omnichord on this track. "It produces this beautiful bell-like sound & in the case of 'Trip Through Your Wires' it sounds like an organ,. "I plugged it into Edge's gear, his echo devices & whole amplification system. If you listen closely to that track you can hear this jangling in the background."

Bono claimed this tune was meant to be heard in conjunction w "Sweetest Thing," a song he wrote for his wife, Ali, that ended up as the B-side of "Where The Streets Have No Name."

This was used in the 1990 movie State Of Grace, starring Sean Penn.

Trip Through Your Wires - Denver, Co 1987    Outtake Footage From R&H 
2017 TJT tour

Been played live 152 times

Users who are viewing this thread