What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U2 - Community rankings - FIN - #4 Sunday Bloody Sunday, #3 - One, #2 - Bad, #1 - Where the Streets Have No Name -Spotify links, thanks to Krista4 (1 Viewer)

Lol at the earnest hand-wringing here. I'm not laughing at anyone, there's good discussion in this thread. I can relate to feeling this passionately about an artist. You all have me going back through their catalogue and listening to All That You Can't Leave Behind, which I never would have done if not for you guys. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 
A U2 thread should have some earnest hand wringing. And humor. Listening to some of the more recent albums with low expectations can work wonders. I thought Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience would be total #### fests. Happy i was wrong.

Look, I like RAH. And I have had some snarky comments at those people who aren't as big of a fan as me. I get that not everyone likes the same things, and it's all good. But I do like throwing shade at people and talking smack. It's all in good fun. A little humor helps make these threads that seem to go on for months a little easier to digest. If people peered into my music collection, they would be appalled. Some might respond with severe vomiting and an incurable rash. I still have a few tracks with a lot of personal meaning and associated stories to tell, which may have me rate those songs higher than the other raters.
I have said some deliberately provocative statements during this as well. Emotion and music go hand in hand. As for your collection, i am pretty sure I have you covered. I have no shame. If i like a song, dont care what anyone else things. Lots of cheesy Italo and eurotrash. 

On a complete side note, I almost never listen to an entire album anymore (especially in a row and in one sitting). Since all my music is digital and in folders, I generally hit shuffle play and whatever comes up comes up. I may have to go back to the source material and listen to the albums as they were originally recorded and intended to be listened to. I don't know if that would change my opinions of the songs, but it might get me to have a better feeling and sensation (and memories) about that specific point in time and better relate to the songs.
Nope. Cant do that. Have to listen to an album. Listening to it piece by piece just feels wrong. 

When Rolling Stone ranked their Top 50 U2 songs, Desire showed up at 36

Rattle & Hum version    2:54 long
U2 - Desire (Hollywood Remix)  5:21 long...."In Hollywood tonight...Voodoo Economics"    i think I remember this version
Damn. I totally forgot about the Hollywood remix. I love that one. Might have even bumped it 10 spots. 

#45 - Red Hill Mining Town (1987)

Highest Rank - 46

Lowest Rank - 87

Where to Find it - The Joshua Tree LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -89/218 - Throughout their history, U2 have been criticized for being political, as well as for not being political enough. “Red Hill Mining Town” is one of those moments. A commentary on the 1984–85 U.K. miners’ strike, the song focuses on the social impact of the strike, not the political or economic impact. “I feel more qualified to write about relationships because I understand them more than what it’s like to work in a pit,” Bono told Niall Stokes. The song is a masterful composition of despair and helplessness; the anguish in the vocals in that last bridge is truly heartrending. It’s worth noting that this song came into being from Bono’s first encounter with Bob Dylan, which took him in the direction of folk music, to this unbelievable version of Peggy Seeger’s “Springhill Mining Disaster.”

Comment - A simple song, well constructed and its considered among the worst 3 songs on the Joshua Tree. I much prefer this song to songs I ranked ahead of it. Another song that none of us really love or really hate. 

Next up, Songs of Experience sees its second last song. 

Highest Rank - 46

Lowest Rank - 87

Vulture.com ranking and comment -89/218 - Throughout their history, U2 have been criticized for being political, as well as for not being political enough. “Red Hill Mining Town” is one of those moments. A commentary on the 1984–85 U.K. miners’ strike, the song focuses on the social impact of the strike, not the political or economic impact. “I feel more qualified to write about relationships because I understand them more than what it’s like to work in a pit,” Bono told Niall Stokes. The song is a masterful composition of despair and helplessness; the anguish in the vocals in that last bridge is truly heartrending. It’s worth noting that this song came into being from Bono’s first encounter with Bob Dylan, which took him in the direction of folk music, to this unbelievable version of Peggy Seeger’s “Springhill Mining Disaster.”

Comment - A simple song, well constructed and its considered among the worst 3 songs on the Joshua Tree. I much prefer this song to songs I ranked ahead of it. Another song that none of us really love or really hate. 

This was supposed to be the third single from JT but was replaced by Streets when the label got word that the band would not be performing it live because Bono didn’t think he could hit the high notes every night. Obviously he got more comfortable with it later on since it appeared at every show on the 30th anniversary tour. 

Ultimately that was a good decision. Streets is an attention grabber and a contender for their best song. Red Hill is a nice song but it’s not in the top half from the album. 

Highest Rank - 46

Lowest Rank - 87

I wasn't the lowest on this one, but I was pretty close. Once again, I am almost in alignment with Vulture. It's a decent song . . . IMO nothing to get overly excited about or agitated over. I will apply the following hypothetical on this song (although the concept could be used on other songs as well).

Let's suppose that RHMT never appeared on TJT and instead was on another album. October? RAH? NLOTH? Songs I or 2? Would people still be that into it? I suggest that it would have been just another song, a passed over album track, and not held in the same light as it does for being on TJT. My point is, I suspect there are tracks on TJT and AB that will get a pretty significant ranking upgrade just because they were on albums with other really good songs. The 4th WR on an offensive juggernaut might look great on that team, but he might look terrible on the Lions.

I need to go back a bit as I haven't chimed in since around #70 or so. So many great songs have appeared since then.

I think what Red Hill did for Joshua Tree was to demonstrate that this album wasn't just going to be a few good songs at the top. It's placement on the album was really smart and a lot of times when I listen to JT nowadays, I just skip to Red Hill and start from there. When he's "hanging on, waiting, your all that's left to hold on to", to me that's pretty pretty good stuff. 

I like Red Hill Mining Town a lot, but can’t go over the mountain and say I love it. It was pretty underwhelming at first, it being the first song we heard after that absurd 5-song run to kick off the record, but it grew on me. 

Pip's Invitation said:
This was supposed to be the third single from JT but was replaced by Streets when the label got word that the band would not be performing it live because Bono didn’t think he could hit the high notes every night. Obviously he got more comfortable with it later on since it appeared at every show on the 30th anniversary tour. 

Ultimately that was a good decision. Streets is an attention grabber and a contender for their best song. Red Hill is a nice song but it’s not in the top half from the album. 
Goes to show how some record companies cant identify a single to save their life. In Gods Country got a North American release, One Tree Hill a NZ release for obvious reasons. Were they the 4th best songs on TJT? Thats debateable. We have 7 to go from that album, and the 5th bottom track will come soon. That shows a clear delineation to the top 6. 5 were released as singles somewhere, the other non single track seemed the obvious 4th single and our rankings indicate that.

Anarchy99 said:
I wasn't the lowest on this one, but I was pretty close. Once again, I am almost in alignment with Vulture. It's a decent song . . . IMO nothing to get overly excited about or agitated over. I will apply the following hypothetical on this song (although the concept could be used on other songs as well).

Let's suppose that RHMT never appeared on TJT and instead was on another album. October? RAH? NLOTH? Songs I or 2? Would people still be that into it? I suggest that it would have been just another song, a passed over album track, and not held in the same light as it does for being on TJT. My point is, I suspect there are tracks on TJT and AB that will get a pretty significant ranking upgrade just because they were on albums with other really good songs. The 4th WR on an offensive juggernaut might look great on that team, but he might look terrible on the Lions.
It’s a fair point. How ridiculous would it be for U2 to release Out of. Control now? They would be laughed out of the music industry. That said there are some fantastic songs to come that are totally misplaced on the album they were released on but were such good songs they had to be included. If they were on JT or AB rather than their misplacement on other 90s and on albums, would they be ranked even higher? 

I mean there are only 5 songs left recorded in the last 20 years...only 5 from the last 20,  #### me. No surprise that i am highest on 4 of them. Surprisingly I am the lowest on the other one. If Any of these 5 songs were on AB or earlier, they would be viewed differently. They all fit somewhere else too. We will see the first of these tomorrow. 

That will leave 4 songs from the last 20 years in the final 43 and only 1 makes the top 35. The oldest of these 5 songs

That will leave 4 songs from the last 20 years in the final 43 and only 1 makes the top 35. The oldest of these 5 songs
Wow. Strong catalog. Like I mentioned, I was listening to All That... and How To Dismantle... and they're really, really good albums, in my estimation. That they can barely crack the Top 35 is saying something. 

(Maybe it's saying the band should have quit. Heh. I don't believe so. But...)

Wow. Strong catalog. Like I mentioned, I was listening to All That... and How To Dismantle... and they're really, really good albums, in my estimation. That they can barely crack the Top 35 is saying something. 

(Maybe it's saying the band should have quit. Heh. I don't believe so. But...)
All that you can’t believe Behind was deliberately excluded from my comments hence last 20 years and not 21. Amazingly we still have 5 to go from that album, third most behind the big 2. 

I am not sure what image you have of the last 3 albums before listening to them. No Line on the Horizon was their last attempt to be “Biggest band in the world” it was a failure all round. I would suggest the songs (Innocence/Experience) albums first. They are more mature, so if you want Bono screaming “No More” look elsewhere. They do stretch themselves musically and there is a strong new wave/electronic influence on many tracks, the ones i love. I have 12 songs from the last 20 years in my top 50. There is some crap in the last 2 albums that detracts from the listening experience, but i filter them out quickly to get to the good stuff. These songs are still fresh to me.

No Line on the Horizon....leave it to last and have no expectations. 

All that you can’t believe Behind was deliberately excluded from my comments hence last 20 years and not 21. Amazingly we still have 5 to go from that album, third most behind the big 2
Was thinking that, but threw caution to the wind for brevity of point. 

I am not sure what image you have of the last 3 albums before listening to them
Not a one, actually. 

They do stretch themselves musically and there is a strong new wave/electronic influence on many tracks, the ones i love. I have 12 songs from the last 20 years in my top 50.
Very cool. One thing about U2 is they're not afraid to go in another direction. I would love to hear how the new wave/electronic influence hit them. Some of my favorite recordings over the years (one off the top of my head, Refused's The Shape Of Punk To Come -- a fine Scandinavian effort, btw -- is one of the best I'd heard in the aughts and blew my mind) use a hybrid of rock and electronica. A more modern example is Baltimore's Turnstile, who Eephus really turned me on to (their later recordings, anyway). When rock is fused with electronica, and not in an overt and cheesy hyper-commercial way like one might think, but in a very wonderful, supplemental way to rock, I love it. I'll be open-minded in my listens. 

#45 - Red Hill Mining Town (1987)    Highest- 46     Lowest- 87         The Joshua Tree LP
Vulture-89/218 - A commentary on the 1984–85 U.K. miners’ strike, the song focuses on the social impact of the strike, not the political or economic impact. “I feel more qualified to write about relationships because I understand them more than what it’s like to work in a pit,” Bono. The song is a masterful composition of despair & helplessness; the anguish in the vocals in that last bridge is truly heartrending. It’s worth noting that this song came into being fr Bono’s 1st encounter w Bob Dylan, which took him in the direction of folk music, to this unbelievable version of Peggy Seeger’s “Springhill Mining Disaster.”

Comment - A simple song, well constructed & its considered among the worst 3 songs on TJT. I much prefer this song to songs I ranked ahead of it.
Songfact:
RHMT is the 6th track from TJT & is the opener song that sets the tone for 2nd-side of the album (remember??).  It is about the United Kingdom miners' strike of 1984. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher had instituted a policy where mines that were considered unprofitable were shut down. Bono wanted to explore the impact the strike had on the miners' friends & families.

• "I was interested in the miners' strike politically, but I wanted to write about it on a more personal level.  A cold statistic about a pit closure & redundancies that follow is drastic enough on 1 level, but it never tells the full human story. I wanted to follow the miner home & write about that situation in the song."
  • "The untold story of the coal strike is the # of family relationships that either broke down or were put under great strain. That was the final blow. Men would lose their pride in themselves & wouldn't be able to face their children or sleep w their wives."
About the 1st meeting between Bono and Bob Dylan:   
In 1984, Bob Dylan played at Slane Castle in Ireland. U2 singer Bono interviewed him for Hot Press magazine & Dylan invited Bono to sing on stage w him. The meeting confirmed for Bono how much he still had to learn about the traditions of singing, songwriting, & musicianship. A friendship developed between the 2 w Bono delving into Dylan's back catalogue & retracing the connections between Irish & American folk music as well as listening to the blue-collar labor songs of Bruce Springsteen. 

Lyrics:        We scorch the earth, set fire to the sky
                   We stoop so low to reach so high     (love this line here)

Video:
The official music video (JML's link) was filmed w the band in London in Feb 1987 & directed by fellow Irishman Neil Jordan (Interview With The Vampire). It begins with historical footage of real-life miners before showing the band performing on a London set that looks like an underground mine. The video was never officially released, as the band was not happy w it & decided not to use the song as a single. In 2007, however, it mysteriously showed up on YouTube just days before the release of TJT 20th anniversary reissue., but was not officially released until it was included on the bonus DVD of the 20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box reissue of TJT.

Here's the reason the video wasn't released:  It was because RHMT was initially intended to be the 2nd single from TJT.  However, the U2 later discovered during rehearsals that Bono could not hit the high notes consistently & surmised they would be unable to play it live every night.   (here, we see another weird release strategy for their singles......AND this is another example of a botched video....I have more to come on this topic )

As a result, RHMT was dropped from the live set list of the JT tour & for 30 yrs it was known as the only song from TJT never to be played live  (although it was sound-checked in November 1987).  Then, on May 12, 2017, it was performed live on U2's 30th anniv tour opener in Vancouver.   
(this video shows Larry donning a headset & contributing backing vocals)

Bono explained:   "I used to write songs that I couldn't sing. And sometimes that was OK because the strains of the notes I couldn't reach was part of the drama, but occasionally they would really just wreck the next show," he said. "So I just left 'RHMT' off. But since then, I sing a bit better - or at least I've learned how to sing."

"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" was released as the 2nd single instead. (I guess it worked out in the end) 

TJT Recording:   Bono: "I was listening to the vocals of 'RHMT' coming back in the mix & I was thinking, 'Why does the singer sound like a rich man w pound notes stuffed in his pockets when it's a song about unemployment?' And the engineer was scratching his head. Lanois walks in & says, 'God almighty, stereo plate echo! I keep telling these people. They've been using it since they invented it not because it's right but because it's available.' So he said, 'Turn it off. Put it in mono & edge it to the left,' & there it was again."

One of the other issues on the original recording was that the brass accompaniment played by the Arklow Silver Band was considered out of tune. As a result, Lillywhite was told to raise the synthesiser track in the mix, as "in 1986, we were very impressed that you could get really good sounding brass instruments out of a keyboard."

The 2017 Mix:   For the 30th Anniversary of the reissue of TJT, Steve Lilywhite remixed the song & decided to increase the volume of the brass section.  Bono believed he could sing the song better (as a 56 yr-old) so he re-recorded the verses, but the chorus from the original 1987 recording are still intact on the 2017 mix.    Link  (<--pretty good version here)

Been played live 67 times......100% on the 2017/2019 JT Tours.

Anarchy99 said:

On average, I like songs 5-9 better than songs 1-4 on TJT.  

Very cool. One thing about U2 is they're not afraid to go in another direction. I would love to hear how the new wave/electronic influence hit them. Some of my favorite recordings over the years (one off the top of my head, Refused's The Shape Of Punk To Come -- a fine Scandinavian effort, btw -- is one of the best I'd heard in the aughts and blew my mind) use a hybrid of rock and electronica. A more modern example is Baltimore's Turnstile, who Eephus really turned me on to (their later recordings, anyway). When rock is fused with electronica, and not in an overt and cheesy hyper-commercial way like one might think, but in a very wonderful, supplemental way to rock, I love it. I'll be open-minded in my listens. 
I am sure U2s take is not going to be as dramatic as a rediscovery or anything, but i find it interesting and see the roots. One track is an obvious kraftwerk riff, another sounds like Air or Moon Safari. Then there is a new wave vibe circa 1979 on a few. They seem more comfortable as elder statesmen and trying a few new things out. 

Thanks for the tip on Turnstile and Refused. Ive been pretty much out of new music for the last 10 years except Chvrches. Love it when artists get the balance right between rock and electronic. Love a glorious synth melody more than anything.

#44 - Get Out of Your Own Way (2017)

Highest Rank - 34

Lowest Rank - 117

Where to Find it - Songs of Experience LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not Listed

Comment - 3 great tracks out of 4 to open the Songs of Experience album is a fantastic start. Doesnt continue but goes to show that U2 can still do good music. Many don’t have an open mind about the newer stuff and thats fine, but there are some good songs in there. This one is beautifully constructed and a more mature sound. No surprise that I have the highest ranking. Bono really seems to understand his instrument these days and its so much more effective. Love the Mike Tyson paraphrase quote “ She had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth”

Next up, surprisingly Pop still has 3 tracks to go....well 2 after the next one

Yes, I am still salty about these (good to very good) songs being ranked above Bullet…
Psst . . . (Whispering) Me and a couple of the other guys are thinking of mounting a coup. It might get bloody, but we need an insurrection to get this thing on track. I can see those fighter planes. I can see those fighter planes. You game? Keep it on the down low and see if you can find anyone else. But be discreet. 

Solid tune, but a top 50 U2 tune? No freaking way. Get out of Your Own Way is like the 8th or 9th best song from Songs of Experience. Oof. 

Psst . . . (Whispering) Me and a couple of the other guys are thinking of mounting a coup. It might get bloody, but we need an insurrection to get this thing on track. I can see those fighter planes. I can see those fighter planes. You game? Keep it on the down low and see if you can find anyone else. But be discreet. 
Boy, this is getting Out of Control...........All I Want is You.... to have Peace on Earth in Another Day or Two

You want to go to War?.......All Because of You(r) ExtraOrdinary Love for BTBS ??

You sound like a Drowning Man in an Electrical Storm at their Moment of Surrender and ready to Pop
or that you have Seconds remaining on their Last Night on Earth
It's really not that Bad

Maybe you should recruit your Landlady ........if that is your Desire

If you Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For, then just Breathe or Exit the chatroom
Just Walk On and be Gone & come back Tomorrow

I do know that it won't be the same in here With or Without You
So Please don't be a Stranger in a Strange Land.......or feel like you are Invisible or Numb
And..... In a Little While, I Will Follow you

Rejoice,
NEMESIS

Babies. Will be so glad to get to the top 35 so songs post 2000 dont exist anymore. Who needs em right? 

Solid tune, but a top 50 U2 tune? No freaking way. Get out of Your Own Way is like the 8th or 9th best song from Songs of Experience. Oof. 
Lemme guess. Landlady?

Boy, this is getting Out of Control...........All I Want is You.... to have Peace on Earth in Another Day or Two

You want to go to War?.......All Because of You(r) ExtraOrdinary Love for BTBS ??

You sound like a Drowning Man in an Electrical Storm at their Moment of Surrender and ready to Pop
or that you have Seconds remaining on their Last Night on Earth
It's really not that Bad

Maybe you should recruit your Landlady ........if that is your Desire

If you Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For, then just Breathe or Exit the chatroom
Just Walk On and be Gone & come back Tomorrow

I do know that it won't be the same in here With or Without You
So Please don't be a Stranger in a Strange Land.......or feel like you are Invisible or Numb
And..... In a Little While, I Will Follow you

Rejoice,
NEMESIS
Well done. How long did that take?

This was solely in reference to Bullet the Blue Sky being ranked so low. It has nothing to do with new songs vs. old songs.
You choose your battlefield. I will choose mine. We cant even blame the guy that ranked Bullet so low. He was also lowest on Get out of Your Own way as well and will be on 2 of the other 3 “newbies”.

#31 will see our revenge as his number 2 gets dragged through the mud. 

Seriously... which 8 or 9? I can make a case for anywhere between 3 and 5 now. One song in particular I would rank over 150 spots higher than where i ranked it originally.

Get Out of Your Own Way is a nice tune, but I wouldnt “ride or die” with it. I could drop it 30 spots on my rankings without a sweat. 

Funnily enough if I drop it from #34 to #51, it lands one spot behind Bullet the Blue Sky.

We only have one left from SOE and its gone before 35. 

Just curious . . . how many songs are there that someone had in their Top 5 that at least one other person didn't have in their Top 25? That seems to be a regular thing over in the Land of Zeppelin.

Just curious . . . how many songs are there that someone had in their Top 5 that at least one other person didn't have in their Top 25? That seems to be a regular thing over in the Land of Zeppelin.
Your #2 and #5 only had one other ranker in the top 25. Two other rankers hand both WELL outside their top 25. Your #1, 3 and 4 were inside everyones top 17.

My #1, 3 and 4 were inside everyones top 25. My #5 you had outside your top 75. My #2 was outside the top 25 to the other 2 guys

Bullet hater?. He had his #1 make the target. His #3 and #4 only had one outside the top 25. His #2 and #5 did not make anyone elses top 25.

Last guy. Only had his #1 be unanimously inside everyones top 25. His 2, 3, 4 and 5 only had one other ranker outside the top 25. 

#44 - Get Out of Your Own Way (2017)   Highest-34   Lowest-117     Songs of Experience LP
Vulture.com ranking and comment - Not Listed

Comment - 3 great tracks out of 4 to open the SoE album is a fantastic start. Doesnt continue but goes to show that U2 can still do good music. Many don’t have an open mind about the newer stuff & thats fine, but there are some good songs in there. This 1 is beautifully constructed & a more mature sound. No surprise that I have the highest ranking. Bono really seems to understand his instrument these days & its so much more effective. Love the Mike Tyson paraphrase quote “ She had a plan until she got a smack in the mouth”
Songfact:
GOOYOW was released as the album's 2nd single on 8 December 2017.  (the lead single was "You're the Best Thing About Me")

Lyrics:
In the 1st verse, it is lyrically addressed to the daughters of lead vocalist Bono, w words of encouragement to not be one's own worst enemy.
In the next verses, the lyrics reference the US political crisis, mentioning Liberty receiving a "smack in the mouth".  
Bono:  "I've tried to use some biting irony to reflect the anger out on the streets."

Seguing between the end of the song & the beginning of the album's next track, "American Soul", is a spoken word segment by rapper Kendrick Lamar; playing what Bono called a "cracked preacher".  Lamar's outro is inspired by the Beatitudes, a series of 8 blessings for the downtrodden that Jesus preached in Matthew 5:3-11. The Compton MC's version goes:
        Blessed are the arrogant
        For theirs is the kingdom of their own company
        Blessed are the superstars
        For the magnificence in their light
        We understand better our own insignificance
        Blessed are the filthy rich
        For you can only truly own what you give away
        Like your pain... [Get on your own way]

Lamar appeared as a favor for U2's guest appearance on his "XXX." track on DAMN album. Lamar revealed the 2 collaborations happened around the same time:  "We had a (different) record we were supposed to be doing together," the hip hop star said. "He sent it over, I laid some ideas to it, & we didn't know where it was going. I just happened to have an album coming out, so I just asked him, like, 'Yo, would you do me this honor of letting me use this record, use this idea that I want to put together because I'm hearing a certain type of 808, a certain drum to it?' And he was open to it."

Video:  The politically charged animated video was created by the 4 members of the Israeli graffiti collective, Broken Fingaz Crew. The clip uses a variety of provocative imagery & addresses the current political situation".

Video 2:  U2 filmed a 2nd video for “Get Out Of Your Own Way” while in Mexico City in October 2017. The video was shot on the roof of the Expo Reforma building in central Mexico City.  It is decorated w traditional style Mexican blankets & other traditional Mexican themes, including dancing skeletons.  The video was directed by Jonas Åkerlund.  During the four hours they worked on the video, the song was played approximately 25 times according to press reports. Newspaper article 
U2 only released the 23 sec teaser video on Facebook.....& to this day, the full video has never been released.  Mexico Teaser Video   

Remixes:  Several official versions have been released including:
Afrojack Remix 04:12
Jarber Remix

Release & Promotion:
U2 debuted the song in Vancouver at their TJT 30th anniversary tour opener on May 12, 2017.

The song was performed in London's Trafalgar Square ahead of receiving the Global Icon award at the MTV Europe Music Awards, Nov 2017.  Link

U2 - Get Out Of Your Own Way (Live On SNL) Dec 2017

Bono & Edge do a surprise performance at Berlin's underground, at a stop of the famous line U-2. link   

In 2018, U2 performed this song at the 60th Grammy Awards in front of the Statue Of Liberty. (it was recorded 2 nights earlier from a barge on the Hudson River) 

In an exclusive performance at the iconic Abbey Road Studios in London, U2 At The BBC w/ orchestra   Link

Been played live 72 times

John Maddens Lunchbox said:
Seriously... which 8 or 9? I can make a case for anywhere between 3 and 5 now. One song in particular I would rank over 150 spots higher than where i ranked it originally.

Get Out of Your Own Way is a nice tune, but I wouldnt “ride or die” with it. I could drop it 30 spots on my rankings without a sweat. 

Funnily enough if I drop it from #34 to #51, it lands one spot behind Bullet the Blue Sky.

We only have one left from SOE and its gone before 35. 
I'd have to think about it, but it doesn't touch Red Flag Day, Summer of Love, The Little Things That Give You Away, The Blackout or Love Is Bigger..., and I think Love Is All We Have Left and 13 (There Is a Light) both have a comfortable lead as well.  It can be in the next tier, with American Soul in the bottomless pit at the bottom.  Had the bonus track Book of Your Heart made the proper album, it would be top 3. 

I'd have to think about it, but it doesn't touch Red Flag Day, Summer of Love, The Little Things That Give You Away, The Blackout or Love Is Bigger..., and I think Love Is All We Have Left and 13 (There Is a Light) both have a comfortable lead as well.  It can be in the next tier, with American Soul in the bottomless pit at the bottom.  Had the bonus track Book of Your Heart made the proper album, it would be top 3. 
I didnt know about Book of Your Heart, thanks for the tip. Will listen to it. If you rank it high, must be be ok. Dont know why they did that also with Crystal Ballroom which was infinitely better than a lot on SOI.

Each of those tracks you mention has a certain charm, not a fan of Blackout or 13, but thanks for explaining. 

#43 - Staring at the Sun (1997)

Highest Rank - 44

Lowest Rank - 108

Where to Find it - Pop LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -108/218 - On the record, the song isn’t that impactful, but on tour, they stripped it down to Bono and the Edge on acoustic out on the catwalk, and it was breathtaking.

Comment - There is an elite song here, but they could never find it. Much to their and our frustration. Lyrically and musically...it just doesnt come together. It does attract 2 top 50 rankings from us. Not me, I am second lowest as I find it annoying that they couldn’t find the best of this song.

Next up, we say goodby to our second album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Every Breaking Wave from Songs of Innocence, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, You’re the Best Thing about Me from Songs of Experience or Gloria from October?

Staring at the Sun is awesome.  Would be in my top 20.  It is always good live, but never touches the original since live it is always just acoustic and the electric guitar in the original adds a lot of the magic to the song.  The last verse of the studio version is incredible where Bono sings most of it over just bass and drums (and maybe some tiny keyboard flourishes) leading to the dynamic shift of the pre-chorus where the rhythm section drops out and the acoustic and lead electric come back in. One of the most bad ### U2 moments ever. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Highest Rank - 44

Lowest Rank - 108

Vulture.com ranking and comment -108/218 - On the record, the song isn’t that impactful, but on tour, they stripped it down to Bono and the Edge on acoustic out on the catwalk, and it was breathtaking.

Comment - There is an elite song here, but they could never find it. Much to their and our frustration. Lyrically and musically...it just doesnt come together. It does attract 2 top 50 rankings from us. Not me, I am second lowest as I find it annoying that they couldn’t find the best of this song.

Next up, we say goodby to our second album. Will it be All I want is you from Rattle and Hum, Every Breaking Wave from Songs of Innocence, Stay (Faraway So Close) from Zooropa, You’re the Best Thing about Me from Songs of Experience or Gloria from October?
I haven't paid close enough attention, but having a song rank HIGHER than the highest ranking seems . . . odd.

I was surprised to learn that I was the highest ranker on this one. As in, I was surprised I ranked it this high. To me it's a solid song and one of the more straightforward tracks from either Zooropa or Pop (as in some of the other tracks are more electronic or veer in a different direction). I double checked . . . it's my highest ranked song from either of those albums. I am not sure what that means . . . that I like it that much or if those two albums are weak in my eyes (or ears in this case). I think it's a decent song, but Top 50 is probably a stretch. As we already discussed, if we ranked the songs on a different day, the results could be way different.

Looking at the remaining songs, all of them are in my Top 100 . . . but 6 of them are between 75-100.

Staring at the Sun is awesome.  Would be in my top 20.  It is always good live, but never touches the original since live it is always just acoustic and the electric guitar in the original adds a lot of the magic to the song.  The last verse of the studio version is incredible where Bono sings most of it over just bass and drums (and maybe some tiny keyboard flourishes) leading to the dynamic shift of the pre-chorus where the rhythm section drops out and the acoustic and lead electric come back in. One of the most bad ### U2 moments ever. 
I am glad you hear what I want to hear.

I know U2 talked about their frustrations with this track. Personally I think they needed to redo the lyrics to fit the music, as the music is fine. 

I haven't paid close enough attention, but having a song rank HIGHER than the highest ranking seems . . . odd.
You ain’t seen nothin yet.....bbbb baby.

#41 has a highest rank of 58

#40 has a highest rank of 50

#39 has a highest rank of 42

#33 has a highest rank of 35

#30 has a highest rank of 33

#26 has a highest rank of 27

#21 has a highest rank of 22

#19 has a highest rank of 26

#9 has a highest rank of 15

#6 has a highest rank of 8

Numbers 41 and 9 have the most interesting rankings around them. Basically all of these songs do not have a low ranking. Any track with a high rating in this area of the draft has an anchor dragging it down. Bullet the Blue Sky is the obvious example. Two Hearts Beat as One, Desire and our #35 and #36 are others. 

You ain’t seen nothin yet.....bbbb baby.

#41 has a highest rank of 58

#40 has a highest rank of 50

#39 has a highest rank of 42

#33 has a highest rank of 35

#30 has a highest rank of 33

#26 has a highest rank of 27

#21 has a highest rank of 22

#19 has a highest rank of 26

#9 has a highest rank of 15

#6 has a highest rank of 8

Numbers 41 and 9 have the most interesting rankings around them. Basically all of these songs do not have a low ranking. Any track with a high rating in this area of the draft has an anchor dragging it down. Bullet the Blue Sky is the obvious example. Two Hearts Beat as One, Desire and our #35 and #36 are others. 
Digs out my list . . .

Staring at the Sun  . . . ☑️ 
Bullet the Blue Sky . . . ☑️
Two Hearts Beat as One  . . . ☑️ 
Desire  . . . ☑️ 

Wonder if I can run the table and have the highest ranking on all of them.

Digs out my list . . .

Staring at the Sun  . . . ☑️ 
Bullet the Blue Sky . . . ☑️
Two Hearts Beat as One  . . . ☑️ 
Desire  . . . ☑️ 

Wonder if I can run the table and have the highest ranking on all of them.
You will get plenty of anchor ratings in those rankings of yours between 75 and 100. The highest ranking will be our #15 which would have been top 10 with a half decent ranking from you. 

One of your anchors destroys a #2 for one of us....revenge. 

You also anchor the #10 song....heavily. It would have been #6 even if you ranked it lowest by 10 instead of 26 behind the second lowest

You have the top ranking for 10 of the last 42. 3 of the ranking weirdos above. 

Highest Rank - 44

Lowest Rank - 108

Really good song.  Big fan.  Ranking seems about right.  I had it at #29.

edit to add:  JML is right, it really is annoying that they couldn’t access the best version of this song.  Could have been epic.

Oof.   It’s painful to see those all lumped together.  Can’t believe that 3 of those 5 are ranked this high.

You will get plenty of anchor ratings in those rankings of yours between 75 and 100. The highest ranking will be our #15 which would have been top 10 with a half decent ranking from you. 

One of your anchors destroys a #2 for one of us....revenge. 

You also anchor the #10 song....heavily. It would have been #6 even if you ranked it lowest by 10 instead of 26 behind the second lowest

You have the top ranking for 10 of the last 42. 3 of the ranking weirdos above. 
Revenge!!!

Highest Rank - 44

Lowest Rank - 108

Closer to 44 than 108 for me. It's a breath of fresh air on an album that feels suffocating to listen to at times. It was indeed great on tour. 

#43 - Staring at the Sun (1997)    Highest-44      Lowest-108      Pop LP
Vulture-108/218 - On the record, the song isn’t that impactful, but on tour, they stripped it down to Bono & Edge on acoustic out on the catwalk

Comment - There is an elite song here, but they could never find it. Much to their & our frustration. Lyrically & musically...it just doesnt come together. It does attract 2 top 50 rankings from us. Not me, I am 2nd lowest as I find it annoying that they couldn’t find the best of this song.
Songfact:
Bono on the song's meaning: "I think it nails a certain mood, where you actually don't want to know the truth because lies are more comforting."

“Staring at the Sun” was partially inspired by Something Happens, an Irish band popular in the late 80s & early 90s that some thought would be the next U2.  They released an album called "Stuck Together With God’s Glue"—a phrase that Bono would later incorporate into the lyrics of “Staring at the Sun.”  The bands knew each other well & it was considered a tribute.

“Staring at the Sun” was the 2nd single released from the Pop album. Although originally advertised for an April 7/8, 1997 release, it was pushed back a wk to April 14/15 just as The PopMart Tour was about to kick off.

On April 25, 1997, U2 performed this live for the 1st time during the PopMart tour opener in Las Vegas. It didn't go so well - the band stopped & re-started the song because not everyone was on the same tempo. (Bono singing at the wrong tempo was to blame for the mistake.) Here it is....Ooooopps  :eek:

The band would find themselves struggling to perform it during the early dates on that tour. As a result, the music press made much of the fact that U2 had launched a massive world tour before they had even learned to perform the new songs in a live setting. Eventually, U2 would abandon the full band performance in concert, favoring a stripped-down version featuring only Bono on vocals & Edge on acoustic guitar.  Live From The Foro Sol Autodromo, Mexico City 1997  

While there were several versions of the single released, most contained the b-sides songs of "North & South of the River" &/or "Your Blue Room" which was from the Passengers' experimental album Original Soundtracks Vol 1.  Each version featured different colored photos of Adam Clayton’s head. on the sleeve.  (insert obvious joke about this being another picture of "Adam Clayton's head"  :P  on the cover)

The band originally felt the song was a potential "anthem to rival 'One'.  Larry Mullen thought this could have been a huge hit if they had time to finish it properly. The album was rushed in order to meet deadlines.

Edge's guitar is distorted through a Leslie speaker cabinet on this song. Designed for organs, guitarists like Jimmy Page & Eric Clapton experimented with it in the '60s.

Probably the most popular single from Pop, it managed to get to #3 on the UK singles chart, #1 in Canada, & #26 in the US.

Videos:   2 videos for the song were released & both were included on The Best of 1990-2000 DVD:

1. The 1st directed by Jake Scott (son of famous director, Ridley Scott) & filmed in New York. It featured the band performing in dark spaces, & used a series of light effects throughout to create atmosphere. (JML's link)
  2. The 2nd video was directed by Morleigh Steinberg & produced by Dreamchaser Productions. It included footage shot by Steinberg at various locations around Miami as photo shoots for the Pop album were being completed. Staring At The Sun (Miami Version)    For those who have been following my posts............remember when i said that Morleigh (who became Edge's 2nd wife) has had a lot more involvement with U2 than you probably realize?    Here we see that she is BEHIND THE CAMERA.........we will see a lot more of her as we move thru the Top 50.  
Staring at the Sun - live w Orchestra - 2017
Staring At The Sun (Mike Hedges Mix) was included on the 2002 The Best of 1990-2000 & B-Sides compilation.
U2 Staring At The Sun (Brothers In Rhythm Ambient Mix)  would appear on the fan club album Artificial Horizon

Been played live 158 times.......PopMart, Elevation, and E+I tours.

#42 - Every Breaking Wave (2014)

Highest Rank - 39

Lowest Rank - 88

Where to Find it - Songs of Innocence LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -131/218 - Bono has often said that while he might not understand certain things in the world, he understands relationships, and writes about them with empathy and nuance. He’s also drawn to using the sea as metaphor, which works here. The choruses are bright and impassioned.

Comment - Bye Bye Songs of Innocence. Nice album track. May be a grower with more time. Surprisingly for a newer track I am equal lowest on it. I prefer 6 other tracks on this album to this one. Its a nice song and all, but it lacks a spark. 

Next up, A rankings anomaly for the second last track we see from Pop

#42 - Every Breaking Wave (2014)

Highest Rank - 39

Lowest Rank - 88

Where to Find it - Songs of Innocence LP

Vulture.com ranking and comment -131/218 - Bono has often said that while he might not understand certain things in the world, he understands relationships, and writes about them with empathy and nuance. He’s also drawn to using the sea as metaphor, which works here. The choruses are bright and impassioned.

Comment - Bye Bye Songs of Innocence. Nice album track. May be a grower with more time. Surprisingly for a newer track I am equal lowest on it. I prefer 6 other tracks on this album to this one. Its a nice song and all, but it lacks a spark. 

Next up, A rankings anomaly for the second last track we see from Pop
I think I agree with this.  It's a good song, and it has that soaring effect that many U2 songs do, but the spark isn't quite there.  Again, good song, and I like it, but it doesn't quite stick to landing. 

WXPN, a well-known independent radio station in Philly, asked listeners to vote for the best albums of all time, and just finished revealing the list of 2,021 albums. About 4,000 people participated, including Uruk-Hai and myself. Here's where the U2 albums placed.

13. The Joshua Tree

75. Achtung Baby

168. The Unforgettable Fire

188. War

409. Rattle and Hum

504. Boy

542. All That You Can't Leave Behind

823. October

1301. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

2013. Under a Blood Red Sky (live and compilation albums were eligible)

And remember that all those songs are ranked higher than Bullet.
(I was too lazy to send in my rankings so I have to live with it. 😐)
I sent in a list. I will continue to be salty for you. Not going down without a fight. 
@John Maddens LunchboxSpeaking of Rankings, I really wish i would have had the time to submit a ranked list to you.   However, immediately after seeing that we were including 228 songs in our scope, I realized I wanted to stay married, employed, and get a decent amount of sleep.    

I do remember others speaking up & saying the same thing about not being able to accomplish the task......
So, it got me thinking that I should at the very least try to put together my Top 10  (or Top 20) songs & send them to you.      (if that's ok by you?).

Maybe some of the others in this thread will volunteer to do the same?
and then they can be published (or averaged together) after it is all said & done to get additional perspective.

What do you say?
@Alex P Keaton   and get the Mrs APK to do the same
@Ghost Rider   @rockaction
@Pip's Invitation @Acrobat7

and any others in the thread that feel up to the task.

Users who are viewing this thread