What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mike Strachan, IND (1 Viewer)

Colts selected Charleston WR Mike Strachan with the No. 229 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Strachan (6'5/226) caught 127 passes for 2,332 yards with 27 touchdowns in three years at Division II Charleston. He had back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons in 2018 and 2019 before Charleston's 2020 season was postponed due to COVID-19. Strachan is a size/speed project the Colts hope to develop into a vertical threat. He'll likely open his rookie year on the practice squad.

May 1, 2021, 5:48 PM ET

I don't see him being fantasy relevant his first year, but hey, anything is possible I guess, especially if there are injuries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of positive press. Is he likely to be the 3rd WR behind Hilton & Pittman?

It's always possible Hilton gets banged up or simply has the wheels fall off as an older, smaller WR.

Certainly a great dynasty add/stash looking at 2022 with TY on a 1 year deal.

Sam Ehlinger turning heads in Colts camp, with help from his 'freak' rookie receiver

Excerpt:

Colts’ mystery receiver looking tremendous in camp

After the University of Charleston (West Virginia) canceled its fall football season last year, along with every other lower-level college, Michael Strachan spent last year working on his craft at Bommarito Performance Systems in Miami.

It was there he tried to hone his craft as best he could while NFL scouts attempted to crack the code of the physically blessed project who lit up D-II defenses for 78 receptions, 1,319 yards and 19 touchdowns — all school records — in 2019.

He also ran track there, helping Charleson win conference championships in the 200 meters, 400 and the 4x400 relay. Strachan is the school’s record holder in the 400.

At 6-foot-5 and 226 pounds, with 34 1/4-inch arms and 10-inch hands, Strachan is as big as receivers get these days. The league has trended away from that type of wideout in favor of smaller, quicker, more shifty players in recent years, and that’s partly why Strachan fell to the first pick of Round 7 this spring.

Other factors were his level of competition and relative lack of football, especially with none last season. Strachan was born in the Bahamas before relocating to Virginia as a sophomore in high school. He picked up football there and became a star at Charleston and was viewed as a project by Colts general manager Chris Ballard.

But Strachan has been one of the shocking standouts in Colts camp. Thursday was another big day for the king-sized pass catcher as he hauled in throw after throw, including a fastball from Ehlinger in red-zone work. 

Ehlinger pumped his fist after that connection, and it received one of the bigger ovations of the day.

“Mike is a freak,” Ehlinger said. “You look at him, and you’re like … oh my goodness. It’s pretty incredible the genetics he has.”

Those genetics allowed Strachan to fight off a good jam at the line from Panthers cornerback Stantley Thomas-Oliver III in press coverage, gear back on the slant he was running and haul in a hard pass from Ehlinger (with a slight double catch) and a first down.

“He’s good, he can play,” former Panthers receiver Steve Smith told Yahoo Sports. “He’s caught my eye today. But can he play small, you know? Can he move like a smaller guy, is what I’m saying. It’s about getting off the line. Don’t give up your chest. Get into your route. That’s how he’s going to [have to] do it.”

Earlier, Strachan cut his route too short in individual work and caught an earful from Colts wideouts coach Mike Groh. Then after a failed red-zone rep, Wentz — who attended practice Thursday, moving effortlessly without a boot — approached Strachan to talk about the play.

“We make mistakes; nobody is perfect,” Strachan said of his handful of mental miscues. “We get it corrected and move forward. "

"[Wentz] was talking about different situations on that play as far as timing goes.”

The injured starting quarterback talking timing with a seventh-round rookie is notable. If Wentz isn’t expecting Strachan to make the team, perhaps the guy coming off foot surgery doesn’t walk over to the 229th pick in the draft for a teaching moment.

The Ehlinger-Strachan connection is real

Ehlinger started slowly in practice when the teams went live, facing some early pressure and misfiring on a few throws on the move. The quarterback whose every rep counts was going to need a few big throws to keep up his ascension.

Just then, Irsay spoke to a small group of media and was asked about the quarterback situation. The team owner ran through some platitudes before seemingly lightening up and offering a fun morsel on Ehlinger.

“With Sam, we’re always hoping and you think, ‘Where’s the next Montana or Brady? Could that be him?’ You just don’t know,” Irsay said.

From that point on, Ehlinger got hot. Eason looked solid, too, but Ehlinger had a few more splash throws — especially during tempo and in the red zone — and a better overall performance.

“That’s me, that’s my thing right there,” Ehlinger said. “I like 11-on-11 football, you know? … Seven-on-seven has its place, I get it. But I like when we line up, put the ball down and 11 guys go to work. That’s football, to me at least.”

Strachan caught multiple passes from Ehlinger on Thursday as the pair have formed a bond since becoming teammates. Ehlinger had a similarly sized wideout at Texas in 6-foot-6 Collin Johnson (now with the Jaguars), but Steve Smith had another comp in mind for Strachan.

“I think he’s what [the Colts] wanted Devin Funchess to be,” Smith said.

Noted for his own work ethic, Ehlinger instantly gravitated toward Strachan once he saw how the receiver put in the time.

“He’s come in and had the underdog mentality, [he’s] wanted to learn as much as possible,” Ehlinger said. “Still soaking up information every day.”

The two even have set up their own little daily debriefings to sort out each practice plan.

“Every morning he’s like, ‘Let’s go through the script.’ So you have the learner mentality and the physical ability to do whatever he wants to do. That’s a pretty decent combo.”

There’s a scenario where Ehlinger goes from nice camp story to third string. The same goes for Strachan, who remains one member of a deep stable of pass catchers. There’s also a possibility that each could play an unexpectedly significant role for a quality AFC contender.

Ehlinger feasibly could be in line for meaningful quarterback duty this season. Strachan is bigger than Michael Pittman Jr., faster than Mo Alie-Cox and could be a red-zone threat. Could this happen?

“We’re just blessed,” Strachan said. “And only God knows what will happen. Until then we just work hard and pray for the next opportunity. We’re really having fun out here doing it.”

I don't see him being fantasy relevant his first year, but hey, anything is possible I guess, especially if there are injuries.
Maybe in his 3rd yr like Thielen. Parris Campbell is looking like a bust, and Pittman isn't certain. Hilton is gone by then.

Maybe in his 3rd yr like Thielen. Parris Campbell is looking like a bust, and Pittman isn't certain. Hilton is gone by then.
Why is Campbell a bust?  He was looking good when he went down last year.  I give him a pass for 2020.  Pittman will be their best receiver this year.

Any updates on this guy with Hilton out for a bit?
I think Pittman, Campbell, and Pascal are the top 3 WRs right now.  However, with Hilton out, Strachan and Patman will probably make the final roster.  Strachan was probably headed to the practice squad before Hilton's injury. 

Still looks like the #4 WR for them. Seems safe to assume Strachan gets some opportunity with Hilton out, though. Have Campbell and/or Pascal looked good enough that they will hold off Strachan? 

Still looks like the #4 WR for them. Seems safe to assume Strachan gets some opportunity with Hilton out, though. Have Campbell and/or Pascal looked good enough that they will hold off Strachan? 
 Patmon has looked just as good as Strachan.  As for Campbell and Pascal, Ballard loves Campbell and Pascal has experience, even though he's not that good and there is something to be said for experience.  One of Strachan or Patmon will be the WR #4, but in this offense that wants to run the ball, a WR#4 on this team won't be fantasy relevant in 2021.

Updates sound like he could potentially start if Pittman and Campbrll are no go's. 

Have him on one taxi and just made pre-emptive add in another. Not much in that WR room keeping him from being fantasy relevant as soon as this year. 

Updates sound like he could potentially start if Pittman and Campbrll are no go's. 

Have him on one taxi and just made pre-emptive add in another. Not much in that WR room keeping him from being fantasy relevant as soon as this year. 
Pittman cleared to play.  I have a feeling this is going to be an ugly day for Colts fans.

Users who are viewing this thread