What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Sage Surratt, Lions (1 Viewer)

IHEARTFF

Footballguy
Another big, athletic, 6'3" 215 WR, Sage sat out 2020. He was on his way to reminding some of Allen Robinson prior to that and there is decently good hype around his NFL prospects. Early indications are he will be a 3rd round NFL pick and 2nd round rookie pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another big, athletic, 6'3" 215 WR, Sage sat out 2020. He was on his way to reminding some of Allen Robinson prior to that and there is decently good hype around his NFL prospects. Early indications are he will be a 3rd round NFL pick and 2nd round rookie pick.
I've always like Surratt.  He's definitely someone I'll have my eye on later in my dynasty drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
They've pegged him as a 4.6+ guy and his stock fell at the Senior Bowl, according to a report that I read. I'll pass on that.

Senior Bowl Practice Review: Day 2 National DBs, WRs, TEs

Excerpt:

One of the more polarizing receivers in the Senior Bowl, SAGE SURRATT from Wake Forest, showed some steady improvement. Surratt has impressive size and a basketball player, jump-ball skill set but had been refusing to use his hands to separate in reps. Halfway through the one-on-ones Surratt suddenly began using his hands to find separation—as if he had just been coached up on it—and it worked! Surratt ended the day with three straight wins in practice.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that "[w]ere it not for another dominant group of SEC receivers in the 2021 class," Wake Forest redshirt junior WR Sage Surratt would be in serious contention for WR1.

"As a redshirt sophomore (in 2019), [Surratt] tore up the field with big-time power and physicality in his routes and after the catch," Miller writes of the 6-foot-3, 215-pounder, later adding that Surratt's "play above the rim" traits were the best he's seen in his early film watch for the prospective 2021 receiver class. Miller ranks Surratt as the No. 14 player for next spring on his latest big board. And man is he gaga compared to one of his fellow evaluators. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. not only opts to keep Surratt out of his own big board, he also does not list him among the top six receivers in the class. Last season, Surratt posted a 66-1001-11 receiving line, this even despite missing multiple down-the-stretch games due to injury.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

May 5, 2020, 12:27 PM ET

Wake Forest redshirt junior WR Sage Surratt opted out of the fall season to begin prep for the 2021 NFL Draft.

While we have yet to see any sort of mass exodus of quarterbacks when it comes to opt outs, it's a different story with receivers. Surratt (6'3/215) is just the latest wideout to say no mas to the coming campaign, joining Minnesota's Rashod Bateman, Purdue's Rondale Moore and Colorado State's Warren Jackson among the major names at the position who are now prepping for the draft. For his part, Surratt logged a slick 66-1001-11 receiving line last season (even despite missing multiple games due to injury) and could potentially land as a Day 1 selection in the spring should the evaluating process break right for him. Surratt, Bateman and Moore are all potential first-round picks.

SOURCE: Sage Surratt on Twitter

Aug 19, 2020, 11:27 AM ET

They've pegged him as a 4.6+ guy and his stock fell at the Senior Bowl, according to a report that I read. I'll pass on that.
I'll go to bat for Sage this year. He isn't special I'll admit that, but he's a worker rather than gifted. A lot like Antonio Brown in that way. I just hope he does enough to elevate himself to that kind of level. He's not the fastest, but he bodies out defenders easily, he's smart, and has the best hands in the entire class to me. He looks like Larry Fitzgerald from my eyes. I just hope he can improve on some quickness and that will really help him out. 

He's another that I thought I had a thread on, I guess I was just lazy this year. Anyways he got hurt at the senior bowl, didn't get a chance to really showcase. I absolutely LOVE him. 

I'll go to bat for Sage this year. He isn't special I'll admit that, but he's a worker rather than gifted. A lot like Antonio Brown in that way. I just hope he does enough to elevate himself to that kind of level. He's not the fastest, but he bodies out defenders easily, he's smart, and has the best hands in the entire class to me. He looks like Larry Fitzgerald from my eyes. I just hope he can improve on some quickness and that will really help him out. 

He's another that I thought I had a thread on, I guess I was just lazy this year. Anyways he got hurt at the senior bowl, didn't get a chance to really showcase. I absolutely LOVE him. 
I wouldn't go to bat for Sage. He's too slow. He's not Antonio Brown. Brown was sub 4.5 (4.47) and returned punts at first because of his speed and joystick-like moves on his returns.

You liked Edwards, too. Big, slow guys that make contested catches in college but can't quite separate in the pros. The jury is still out on Edwards. The red flags are there with Surratt.

I wouldn't go to bat for Sage. He's too slow. He's not Antonio Brown. Brown was sub 4.5 (4.47) and returned punts at first because of his speed and joystick-like moves on his returns.

You liked Edwards, too. Big, slow guys that make contested catches in college but can't quite separate in the pros. The jury is still out on Edwards. The red flags are there with Surratt.
I don't disagree that there are flags. I just love his game.

I'm not comparing the player to AB, just the work ethic. AB is arguably the hardest working player in the entire NFL, and he's not that naturally talented. I see the same things from Sage. Not that naturally talented, but he works his butt off. Coaches will love that about him and get him opportunity. 

I saw a few people comp him to JJAW and although I hate the comp, I can see the similarities. I believe him to be way better than that. 

Lions signed Wake Forest WR Sage Surratt.

Surratt (6'3/215) used his large frame to overpower cornerbacks and lead all Power 5 receivers with 1,001 receiving yards through nine games in 2019 before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury and opting out of 2020 altogether. His background as a basketball player is transparent on tape, often showing him win at the catch point (18-of-30 on contested catch situations in 2019) and pick up any additional yards via his physicality. Although it's unlikely Surratt beats press coverage in the NFL given his slow 4.70 40-speed, he can be used on fades and back shoulder throws as a "big" slot option (think Preston Williams or Devin Funchess) to help move the chains. He lands in arguably the best situation possible based solely on the lack of competition on Detroit's depth chart.

May 1, 2021, 7:45 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread