What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will be the GOP candidate in 2024? (1 Viewer)

What say ye?

• Total voters
Indeed. I think the question for the GOP voters will be if they can get behind a single non-Trump candidate quickly before Trump starts collecting delegates with 30-40% of the primary votes.  If the field is fractured, then Trump will be the 2024 nominee.
I think you're spot-on. It would behoove the GOP to get behind somebody at least as early as 2022 instead of having multiple anti-Trump candidates trying to knock him from his perch. I really think 2024 comes down to whether Republicans can get one candidate to effectively create a coalition of GOP voters that rivals Trump's working class/evangelical coalition.

The intellectuals have left Trump in droves. His support among people with college degrees was so low as to be preventative to his re-election. People keep talking about the "surburb" effect, but it was really people who held college or postgraduate degrees that he lost. (People that have college and postgrad degrees tend to be able to afford the 'burbs and live there because they commute to bigger urban areas, so that is an easy mistake to make.) That's why this board is rather skewed in that a lot conservatives disavow Trump. It's an education thing more than anything. Not that his supporters here are uneducated. They're just in the minority, both on this board and nationally.
:yes:

I think you're spot-on. It would behoove the GOP to get behind somebody at least as early as 2022 instead of having multiple anti-Trump candidates trying to knock him from his perch. I really think 2024 comes down to whether Republicans can get one candidate to effectively create a coalition of GOP voters that rivals Trump's working class/evangelical coalition.
What is so fantastic about Trump’s coalition is he’s neither working class nor evangelical and doesn’t give a damn about either one.  

Indeed. I think the question for the GOP voters will be if they can get behind a single non-Trump candidate quickly before Trump starts collecting delegates with 30-40% of the primary votes.  If the field is fractured, then Trump will be the 2024 nominee.

Part of the issue is Ted Cruz and SCOTUS.

The long game for Cruz is placement on SCOTUS, but not under the Trump Administration, as that would drive a firestorm like no other before it. So he's turned down his desire for such in public, but that's his future pathway. Cruz has massive influence on RNC delegates and would give them to Haley if she guaranteed him a nomination slot on SCOTUS.

It appears the GOP favors Daniel Cameron ahead of Cruz.

DHS will push against Steve Colloton, James Ho, Sarah Pitlyk and long shot Martha Pacold since any of those would basically start a chain reaction against Clarence Thomas by extreme radical pro choice leftists. US Marshals SOG would have to move Clarence Thomas onto an aircraft carrier.

Cruz cares about long term legacy, as most narcissists do, and his best shot is railroading Obama/Biden/Holder through Operation Fast & Furious, which would be a precursor to toppling the ACA.

The person seen as the hero who gave America a true M4A is going to have actual bullet proof legacy.

What on earth is DHS? Department of Health and Human Services? Gekko, if we're gonna read your posts, at least abide by the standard rule of using only well-known and standard acronyms that should be known to the reader instead of ones known only to the writer. It's not like vocabulary where someone has the choice to look it up. It's jargon without much context.

FairWarning said:
They could learn in the midterms.  They did in 1980.   Don’t underestimate the D’s blowing this either.
Yes I don’t disagree at all the Dems could blow it like they did in 2020 with some supporting defund the police. 

What on earth is DHS? Department of Health and Human Services? Gekko, if we're gonna read your posts, at least abide by the standard rule of using only well-known and standard acronyms that should be known to the reader instead of ones known only to the writer. It's not like vocabulary where someone has the choice to look it up. It's jargon without much context.

https://www.dhs.gov/

DHS is Department of Homeland Security. (It's the first thing that comes up when one puts DHS into Google)

US Marshals SOG is their tactical Special Operations Group. While they are not primarily tasked with close protection, the reality is that an actual threat to a sitting Supreme Court Justice would very likely be a well coordinated well funded pre planned strike from a comparable Tier 1 level tactical unit.

A member of Jon Ossoff's staff let it leak that Biden plans to pack SCOTUS when the dust settles. Many believe that as a precursor to the DNC shoveling as many new Justices as possible, esp with a Super Majority, that Republicans will try to reverse Roe Vs Wade first. The spearhead of this, if it happened, would be through Clarence Thomas.

Since the only way to change the numbers on SCOTUS is through retirement ( rare) and death ( unpredictable), this hyper accelerates the threat risk to Thomas. Extreme Pro Choice radical leftists will want to cancel out the conservative vote on SCOTUS. The easiest way to change the Court, in the eyes of extremists, is to start picking them off.

Colloton, Pityuk and Ho are all seen as GOP SCOTUS contenders, at varying levels, but have Pro Life leanings in their background. To nominate and confirm any of them would only further enrage extremists and lend the narrative that Roe Vs Wade is going to shift. Pacold worked for Thomas and that would literally start a war in the streets if she somehow turned longshot status into SCOTUS.

US Marshals has to coordinate with Secret Service ( via DHS) and Diplomatic Security Service as well as Federal Protective Service and Capitol Police to coordinate security for sitting Justices. DHS doesn't want this kind of conflict on their watch. If you pick off Thomas, the response by the extreme radical right will be to pick off liberal Justices in response.

Do I think Roe Vs Wade would get overturned? No. Abortion, while no one wants to say it out loud, is a functional resource management problem once you get past the anger, statistics and religion aspect of it. With the purchasing power of Third Wave Feminism, which leads to corporate level influence, there's no way things will change. Also who is going to pay for generations of unwanted children to raise them? But this isn't going to sway extremists.

This is the political backdrop under which Ted Cruz has to consider his chances at SCOTUS himself. It's not enough to trade his influence with the RNC delegates to Nikki Haley for a lock onto a nomination, he has to weigh out his actual competition for it to be sensible for Haley to agree ( i.e. is there a win/win pathway for both Haley and Cruz)

For long term legacy for Cruz, he has to topple the ACA. How does he do it from SCOTUS? He engineers Operation Fast & Furious gets the public spotlight and have it's case make it's way up to the Supreme Court. We are talking Obama and Holder gun running for drug cartels where the death of federal law enforcement covers blood on their hands. OF&F also links to Operation Wide Receiver during the Bush administration, which leads to wiping out Bush, Obama, Biden, Holder and since the ACA will topple with Obama's fall, it would also wipe out Pete Buttigieg and his patch over , Medicare For All Who Want It (A polite way for a Public Option without Obama having to swallow his pride to say that out loud)

As long as Obama loyalists hold power and sway, the ACA will survive.

It's not enough for Ted Cruz  to get onto SCOTUS, he has to have a chance at historical legacy. Which is why Obama wanted the ACA to happen so badly, so he could pin his name to something he thought would last forever with his signature stamped all over it.

Ted Cruz is not just going to give Nikki Haley control over his delegates out of sheer goodwill. He's going to want something for them.

The idea that the RNC ticket in 2024 will be as simple as the leftist wet dream of hillbillies and white trash and Morlocks setting down their burning crosses long enough to hold delegates hostage for Donald Trump is really minimizing the high level of complexity in how delegate votes are essentially bought and sold with influence and political pork. But people don't want to talk about James Ho's chances at SCOTUS and how that dovetails into Cruz, then SCOTUS, then Haley, then Trump. They want to shout out the next Twitter bite sized nugget that the MSM demands they be outraged about.

Can you imagine how popular I would be with the majority here if I posted the exact same way, but as a woke cancel culture lefty that rode Orange Man Bad like it was sandpaper on a wooden deck? 

But, alas, nothing is going to piss people off more than to hear about the SALT Act being repealed, risk limiting audits and the media optics on Young Kim in HOR CA-39. God forbid people actually talk politics in a subforum designated for political discussion.

BMST

Sounds like a Tom Clancy novel. Which one was it where the Supreme Court justices were getting assassinated? Such intrigue. I would agree with you that the left-wingers on the board would upvote or like the connections you made had you posted this information about the right doing such nefarious activities. As a matter of fact, we had a guy, SaintsInDome2006, who sounded exactly like you did about Trump, his connections, and all the shadow guys that followed him around with respect to his foreign dealings and his domestic issues and got upvoted and liked often, much to my chagrin at first regarding the seemingly psychotic line-drawing on a whiteboard that SID was doing. Turns out, though, SID, for all of his writing that sounded like your goobledy####, was actually almost to the letter correct. We saw prosecutions, convictions, legal wranglings, and almost every court motion in the country backed up the things SID said. The only thing stopping SID from being completely right was the Republicans' refusal to convict #MAGA man under the impeachment power the first time around. Nay, they had such a majority and a Supreme Court and federal judges deal to do with the devil that first time around that they refused to even call John Bolton, the most right wing guy I can think of, whose research assistant back in the day I used to know and to whom someone I am really close to used to work with him firsthand for five years at the AEI think tank, the one with **** Cheney as a trustee, and they tell me -- and is public knowledge -- that Bolton was about to spill national security beans on Trump, not for some book deal he had, but because he watched with utter horror in the way in which the presidency was being run with respect to foreign policy. For all the certitude I have about life, I'm dollars to donuts certain that when John Bolton was about to cost Republicans the presidency through impeachment that I had walked a bridge too far and that something had happened. You can spend all the time on Parler you want hashing out grand conspiracy theories and you'll never be as close to right as SID was, he who simply followed the trail of slime and ooze the president left wherever he went. Because this particular president was so stupid, sloppy, and had so much hubris that he not only committed what appear to be dozens of high crimes and misdemeanors, he managed to alienate practically everyone who had previously worked in Republican circles or for Republican administrations. By the end, McConnell calling him out on the Senate floor and abstaining from voting was not political cowardice, but potentially a political masterpiece signaling, in the words of the great popular act Tag Team, to let the dogs out, despite my posts in the Republican civil war thread to the contrary. It's a distinct possibility the turtle just served the death knell to Trump. Now we'll buckle up and see.

And I'll leave you with this partially conspiratorial observation: #MAGA, my foot -- Trump is the losingest loser in loserville and if we're talking political violence, and he's fixing for war with the real military establishment that still belongs to Cheney and Rumsfeld, he'll get it, and no tried-and-true military man is going to back him because he's a loose cannon with loose lips who doesn't respect the American military's utter crushing might nor can he direct its attention to the most important thing it has to give its members and itself -- honor. He knows no honor in his life nor deeds. They don't respect him to lift a finger to start a coup, and you can be damn sure the guys pulling strings wouldn't miss him if he were to die somehow. So he needs to know who runs this ship and ####### soon. It's not him and his loose coalition of QAnon crazies, rubes, and evangelicals. Modern evangelicals, as a group, are the biggest ####### exurb ####### known to man, QAnon we saw at the Capitol storming (they're delusional idiots), the Proud Boys are still getting killed in Portland by Antifa members who both outnumber and outclass them in technique and willingness to kill and die, and the Oath Keepers faction that broke for Trump will either be under surveillance by the Democrats or kept in line by their own rank and file who generally don't respect this particular president because their oath, as it were, is to the Constitution, not to some dumb orange diktat Twitter dispatcher.

We built this city (to quote a horrendous song) on the backs of volunteers (to quote the real version of that band's excellence) and statesmen, not on grifters and ten-penny con men that hawk dollar store products. "Riddance" is too gentle a terminology after "good" for this guy, and I assure you, neither the electorate nor their protectors in the armed services will sit idly by nor are in the mood for any more of this stupidity. He got a major hall pass. He should take that pass and go away before #### gets ugly for him.

Overall odds update:

U.S. 2024 Presidential Election Odds

Odds to Win the 2024 Presidential Election, courtesy of BetOnline 

Kamala Harris +400

Joe Biden +500

Donald Trump Sr. +1200

Mike Pence +1200

Nikki Haley +1400

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez +2500

Ron DeSantis +2500

Michelle Obama +3300

Donald Trump Jr. +4000

Josh Hawley +4000

Pete Buttigieg +4000

Tom Cotton +4000

Andrew Yang +5000

Bernie Sanders +5000

Candace Owens +5000

Charlie Baker +5000

Chris Christie +5000

Dan Crenshaw +5000

Deval Patrick +5000

Elizabeth Warren +5000

Mike Pompeo +5000

Tulsi Gabbard +5000

Does Christie have any chance at 50/1?  I know 2 people who had Biden 25/1 15 months before the 2020 election, so these can change fast.  Personally I think Harris is a lock, but Trump was a lock in 2020 before COVID.

Sounds like a Tom Clancy novel. Which one was it where the Supreme Court justices were getting assassinated? Such intrigue. I would agree with you that the left-wingers on the board would upvote or like the connections you made had you posted this information about the right doing such nefarious activities. As a matter of fact, we had a guy, SaintsInDome2006, who sounded exactly like you did about Trump, his connections, and all the shadow guys that followed him around with respect to his foreign dealings and his domestic issues and got upvoted and liked often, much to my chagrin at first regarding the seemingly psychotic line-drawing on a whiteboard that SID was doing. Turns out, though, SID, for all of his writing that sounded like your goobledy####, was actually almost to the letter correct. We saw prosecutions, convictions, legal wranglings, and almost every court motion in the country backed up the things SID said. The only thing stopping SID from being completely right was the Republicans' refusal to convict #MAGA man under the impeachment power the first time around. Nay, they had such a majority and a Supreme Court and federal judges deal to do with the devil that first time around that they refused to even call John Bolton, the most right wing guy I can think of, whose research assistant back in the day I used to know and to whom someone I am really close to used to work with him firsthand for five years at the AEI think tank, the one with **** Cheney as a trustee, and they tell me -- and is public knowledge -- that Bolton was about to spill national security beans on Trump, not for some book deal he had, but because he watched with utter horror in the way in which the presidency was being run with respect to foreign policy. For all the certitude I have about life, I'm dollars to donuts certain that when John Bolton was about to cost Republicans the presidency through impeachment that I had walked a bridge too far and that something had happened. You can spend all the time on Parler you want hashing out grand conspiracy theories and you'll never be as close to right as SID was, he who simply followed the trail of slime and ooze the president left wherever he went. Because this particular president was so stupid, sloppy, and had so much hubris that he not only committed what appear to be dozens of high crimes and misdemeanors, he managed to alienate practically everyone who had previously worked in Republican circles or for Republican administrations. By the end, McConnell calling him out on the Senate floor and abstaining from voting was not political cowardice, but potentially a political masterpiece signaling, in the words of the great popular act Tag Team, to let the dogs out, despite my posts in the Republican civil war thread to the contrary. It's a distinct possibility the turtle just served the death knell to Trump. Now we'll buckle up and see.

And I'll leave you with this partially conspiratorial observation: #MAGA, my foot -- Trump is the losingest loser in loserville and if we're talking political violence, and he's fixing for war with the real military establishment that still belongs to Cheney and Rumsfeld, he'll get it, and no tried-and-true military man is going to back him because he's a loose cannon with loose lips who doesn't respect the American military's utter crushing might nor can he direct its attention to the most important thing it has to give its members and itself -- honor. He knows no honor in his life nor deeds. They don't respect him to lift a finger to start a coup, and you can be damn sure the guys pulling strings wouldn't miss him if he were to die somehow. So he needs to know who runs this ship and ####### soon. It's not him and his loose coalition of QAnon crazies, rubes, and evangelicals. Modern evangelicals, as a group, are the biggest ####### exurb ####### known to man, QAnon we saw at the Capitol storming (they're delusional idiots), the Proud Boys are still getting killed in Portland by Antifa members who both outnumber and outclass them in technique and willingness to kill and die, and the Oath Keepers faction that broke for Trump will either be under surveillance by the Democrats or kept in line by their own rank and file who generally don't respect this particular president because their oath, as it were, is to the Constitution, not to some dumb orange diktat Twitter dispatcher.

We built this city (to quote a horrendous song) on the backs of volunteers (to quote the real version of that band's excellence) and statesmen, not on grifters and ten-penny con men that hawk dollar store products. "Riddance" is too gentle a terminology after "good" for this guy, and I assure you, neither the electorate nor their protectors in the armed services will sit idly by nor are in the mood for any more of this stupidity. He got a major hall pass. He should take that pass and go away before #### gets ugly for him.
The Pelican Brief - John Grisham

Why would this be?
In 6 weeks we have seen the ruling party attack the first two constitutional amendments protection of the defeated party.  We have an occupying military force hand picked to make sure there may not be any dissenters. We have barriers constructed in Washington to protect the administration. 6 weeks!  

You think we are going to be back to normal in 2024?   

In 6 weeks we have seen the ruling party attack the first two constitutional amendments protection of the defeated party.  We have an occupying military force hand picked to make sure there may not be any dissenters. We have barriers constructed in Washington to protect the administration. 6 weeks!  

100% yes.

No...the ruling party has not attacked the 1st and 2nd amendment of the defeated party (BTW...those 2 amendments apply to all parties).

No.  There is not an occupying military force...hand picked?  Umm, not that either.

The fences were put up prior to this administration and there to protect the previous guy....as well as congress after the previous guys supporters mounted an insurrrection. 

Do you care to back up anything you stated with any sort of credible evidence of any of it?  Because it all appears to be complete misinformation and propaganda.

No...the ruling party has not attacked the 1st and 2nd amendment of the defeated party (BTW...those 2 amendments apply to all parties).

No.  There is not an occupying military force...hand picked?  Umm, not that either.

The fences were put up prior to this administration and there to protect the previous guy....as well as congress after the previous guys supporters mounted an insurrrection. 

Do you care to back up anything you stated with any sort of credible evidence of any of it?  Because it all appears to be complete misinformation and propaganda.
Let me guess.... :link:

....And I'll leave you with this partially conspiratorial observation: #MAGA, my foot -- Trump is the losingest loser in loserville.....
Direct Headline: Ted Cruz's long-term delegate strategy is paying off

David Jackson USA TODAY 4/13/2016

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/04/13/ted-cruz-donald-trump-delegates-republican-convention/82973810/

What conspiracy theory?

The 2020 RNC primaries was not a real race (Trump got 94 percent of all delegates), so one has to look to the 2016 delegate votes. Trump won about 70 percent, and the next in line was Cruz with about 20 percent.

If Nikki Haley wants the RNC ticket in 2024, she needs Cruz's influence in the primaries on her side.

In 2024, if all three run for POTUS, Cruz cannot match Trump's core base. He also cannot match Haley's big money backers and her optics appeal to minorities and women. He stands a better chance getting to SCOTUS through Haley  than with Trump. How long is he going to survive in Congress with a big fat target on his back? Is he going to replace Greg Abbott in Texas?

Both Haley and Trump need something from Cruz and nothing in politics is ever free. So who can come up with the  better offer?

Again, what conspiracy? If you want the RNC ticket, you need to win the primaries and you need delegates. This is a basic math problem for Haley. There's no reason for her to fight a two front political war here. Cruz is more than qualified for SCOTUS and with eventual court packing, there's no reason not to trade him a nomination if she gets, in theory, eight years in office.

The number of death threats that brand name American politicians have gotten in the last year has skyrocketed exponentially. You think Clarence Thomas isn't being bracketed like the rest? Have you seen how rabid the Pro Life/Pro Choice extremists can get.

Orange Man Bad doesn't change the simple math here. If you want to change the complexion of SCOTUS rapidly, esp for those extremists out there, the fastest full proof way is to neutralize them permanently. Do I want this to happen? Of course not, but this is political reality. There are a finite amount of delegates and Trump has a locked in base, the rest of the RNC contenders can't afford to split the remaining delegates amongst themselves, they have to compromise to get someone other than Trump on the ticket.

As for Donald Trump being a loser, he's 2-0 for impeachment hearings so far. He's currently the most acquitted POTUS in American political history. He beat the largest financial warchest in American political history, toppled two political dynasties and took on the entire establishment in 2016 as a total political outsider no previous political experience. And he won even after getting caught on tape trashing women in general. He had a massive down the ticket impact and mobilized voters in a way that even surpassed Reagan. He might be a 4th rate failed reality TV star and a stone cold narcissistic grifter, but that is an incredible achievement by anyone. Your tribalism doesn't change that.

God forbid Old Man Gekko does something nutty like talk about RNC delegates in a thread about the 2024 RNC ticket instead of lining up for some more Orange Man Bad by folks only here to hijack the thread topic.

Seriously, if you are going to call Trump a loser, then actually point out some cogent reasons why he's going to lose delegates in 2024.

Bovada's current odds to be the Republican candidate in 2024:

·         Donald Trump+400

·         Mike Pence+500

·         Nikki Haley+600

·         John Kasich+900

·         Ron DeSantis+1200

·         Ted Cruz+1200

·         Tom Cotton+1400

·         Dan Crenshaw+1600

·         Josh Hawley+2000

·         Mike Pompeo+2000

·         Paul Ryan+2000

·         Tim Scott+2000

·         Carly Fiorina+2500

·         Donald Trump Jr.+2500

·         Rudy Giuliani+2500

·         Kristi Noem+3000

·         Candace Owens+3300

·         Mitt Romney+3300

·         Rand Paul+4000

·         Jared Kushner+5000

·         Condoleezza Rice+6000

·         Jeff Flake+7500

·         Lindsey Graham+7500

·         Charlie Baker+8000

·         Greg Abbott+8000

·         Tommy Tuberville+8000

·         Adam Kinzinger+10000

·         George P. Bush+10000

·         Kanye West+10000

·         Kayleigh McEnany+15000

I think Nikki Haley at 6-1 is interesting.  And at 12-1 to win the presidency in 2024, I might throw a sawbuck down on that.  I think she would be a threat to topple the Dems.

Let me guess.... :link:
So no...no answer to anything posted.

Nothing to show there is an occupying force.

Nothing to show how the 1st and 2nd Amendments are under attack against the party just voted out.

Just baseless assertions...business as usual.

You want me to link to negatives...like there isn't an occupying force...and there aren't attacks on those amendments?  Seems odd.  You made assertions that don't appear to be reality.  How about you provide something to back up your claims.

Start with calling the amount of national guard an occupying force.  Being there to protect does not make them an occuypying force.  You know that, right?

Or Michelle Obama.
No...that one doesn't bother me that she would have good odds.  She isn't going to run...but if she ever did...she would do quite well in a race.  I don't see AOC doing nearly as well as that...Michelle would appeal to a large group of people.

The GOP will need to somehow miraculously seize control of the House...history is on their side but the present climate is going to make this very difficult. 

The GOP just lost Senate seats in Georgia, they are in a total tailspin right now. 

I've never seen a guy leave office after his 1st term and start talking up running again...I just can't recall where a person who just lost an election could be so widely popular still. 

And then there are large groups of civilians who really have not been heard from much, will be interesting to see if the House is even in play in 2022. 

Donald Trump Jr.+2500

·         Rand Paul+4000

Oh, how Mitt and Paul have fallen.  To not have better odds than Giuliani and Candace Owens...really?

Bovada's current odds to be the Republican candidate in 2024:

·         Donald Trump+400

·         Mike Pence+500

·         Nikki Haley+600

·         John Kasich+900

·         Ron DeSantis+1200

·         Ted Cruz+1200

·         Tom Cotton+1400

·         Dan Crenshaw+1600
How do I bet against something?  I'd bet everything I own that Kasich won't be the nominee.

How do I bet against something?  I'd bet everything I own that Kasich won't be the nominee.
In general, you can't on things like this.  Also, although it sounds good, this would ultimately be a pretty poor return on investment.  Figure even if you could do this, they would give you something like -700 odds to account for vig, meaning you'd be getting about a 14% ROI, over 3.5 years where they're holding your money.  Somewhere between 3-4% annual ROI, at best.

To be fair, do you think the Dems would nominate a candidate who gave a speech against the party at the 2020 Republican national convention?
Probably not...but going against the current party seems wise.  It isn't conservative...it isn't what it once was.  

To be fair, do you think the Dems would nominate a candidate who gave a speech against the party at the 2020 Republican national convention?
But isn't that the point he was making?  The odds in favor of Kasich seem pretty out of touch with reality.

Donald Trump Jr.+2500

·         Rand Paul+4000

Oh, how Mitt and Paul have fallen.  To not have better odds than Giuliani and Candace Owens...really?
The fact that Rudy is on this list tells you all you need to know about the Republican Party (according to Bovada).

No...that one doesn't bother me that she would have good odds.  She isn't going to run...but if she ever did...she would do quite well in a race.  I don't see AOC doing nearly as well as that...Michelle would appeal to a large group of people.
If you read her book she makes it very clear that she has zero interest in a return to the White House as an occupant.  She ain't running.  I'd bet my life on that. 

I think Nikki Haley at 6-1 is interesting.  And at 12-1 to win the presidency in 2024, I might throw a sawbuck down on that.  I think she would be a threat to topple the Dems.
Of all the anti-trumpers Niki seems like a good bet. But she needs to get over the hump of not being his chosen one.

Users who are viewing this thread