What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

It just all goes back to why are we even testing? If the NFL was testing all players every day, this season would be a literal mess. 

If getting covid off the field and saving lives is the goal here, the NFL should be testing everyone daily. 

The reality is the NFL has an outdated policy that punishes the unvaccinated and they only care about the bottom line. 
I'm always open to the idea that the NFL is both incompetent and cynically focused on PR over substance, but in your opinion what would be the optimal testing policy?

I'm always open to the idea that the NFL is both incompetent and cynically focused on PR over substance, but in your opinion what would be the optimal testing policy?
Either everyone everyday or everyone once a week or even not at all. 

The NFL just isn't clear with a goal. 

I would have posted this in the Cole Beasley Shark Pool thread, but Joe said that any posts there have to be 100% about football.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/04/nfl-cole-beasley-rips-bills-mafia-booing-home-game/?adid=social-twa

NFL'S COLE BEASLEY

RIPS BILLS MAFIA For Heckling Him Over COVID-19 Vaccine Stance 

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley has a bone to pick with Bills Mafia ... calling out the diehard fan base for jeering at him during Sunday's home game for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine.

"Only place I get boo'd is at our home stadium," Beasley tweeted Monday. "Then some of the same people want me to take pictures and sign autographs. I thought bills fans were the best in the world? Where'd they go?"

FYI -- Highmark Stadium currently requires fans to have at least one shot of the COVID-19 vax in order to attend games.

The 32-year-old wideout has not gotten vaccinated against COVID-19 ... and seems to believe that he is being booed by the vaxxed fans at home as a result.

"If the vaccine works then why do vaxxed people need to be protected from unvaxxed? #letemin," Beasley added.

CB has been openly passionate about his decision to not get vaccinated, saying "I may die of COVID, but I'd rather die actually living."

[...]

I would have posted this in the Cole Beasley Shark Pool thread, but Joe said that any posts there have to be 100% about football.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/04/nfl-cole-beasley-rips-bills-mafia-booing-home-game/?adid=social-twa

NFL'S COLE BEASLEY

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Cole Beasley has a bone to pick with Bills Mafia ... calling out the diehard fan base for jeering at him during Sunday's home game for not getting the COVID-19 vaccine.

"Only place I get boo'd is at our home stadium," Beasley tweeted Monday. "Then some of the same people want me to take pictures and sign autographs. I thought bills fans were the best in the world? Where'd they go?"

FYI -- Highmark Stadium currently requires fans to have at least one shot of the COVID-19 vax in order to attend games.

The 32-year-old wideout has not gotten vaccinated against COVID-19 ... and seems to believe that he is being booed by the vaxxed fans at home as a result.

"If the vaccine works then why do vaxxed people need to be protected from unvaxxed? #letemin," Beasley added.

CB has been openly passionate about his decision to not get vaccinated, saying "I may die of COVID, but I'd rather die actually living."

[...]
Such stupidity. Not gonna die actually living if you die from Covid.

I honestly don't care about the whole Beasley saga, but his grasp of logic has me worried he may be experiencing brain fog from Long Covid.

A good rule of thumb is that any time you hear the phrase "some of the same people" it's a good bet that it is, in fact, none of the same people. Out of a crowd of 50,000 fans, a few asked him to take pictures and sign autographs. Meanwhile, there were fans at the game who booed him, possibly because of his stance on the vaccine. Are there overlaps between the two groups? I have no idea, and neither does Beasley.

Imagine Tom Brady expressing befuddlement that "some of the same people" who booed him in New England last night asked him to sign autographs after the game.

The Philadelphia Eagles have placed tight end Dallas Goedert on the reserve/COVID-19 list just two days ahead of their home game against the defending Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The moves leaves a tight and improbable window through which Goedert could be available to play Thursday night. Goedert has been vaccinated, per NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, which means he can rejoin the team if tests negative for the virus twice, 24 hours apart, and is asymptomatic for 48 hours.

Chandler Jones was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Tuesday. While Jones' Week 6 status for Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns is up in the air, there is an opportunity he can play. 

Jones is vaccinated, per Chuck Harris of USA Today, so he could play if he tests negative twice 24 hours apart by Saturday.

Chicago Bears RB Damien Williams was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced on Thursday. If Williams is vaccinated, he must record two negative test results for COVID-19 24 hours apart and be asymptomatic for 48 hours before he can return to the team. With just two full days left before the Bears host the rival Green Bay Packers, Williams’ status is up in the air.

Unconfirmed reporting that he is vaccinated. 

TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have had three positive COVID-19 tests this week, a source told ESPN NFL insider Dan Graziano on Thursday, putting the team one positive test away from going into intensive protocols.

That would mean more testing for several players and personnel.

The positive tests include one player and two members of the staff, according to a source.

Max Power said:
TEMPE, Ariz. -- The Arizona Cardinals have had three positive COVID-19 tests this week, a source told ESPN NFL insider Dan Graziano on Thursday, putting the team one positive test away from going into intensive protocols.

That would mean more testing for several players and personnel.

The positive tests include one player and two members of the staff, according to a source.
Kliff Kingsbury tested positive

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-hc-kliff-kingsbury-positive-for-covid-19-will-miss-game-vs-browns

Max Power said:
Probably.  I think everyone has accepted the NFL policy is stupid.  

This is a lose/lose situation for the NFL.

If all teams had 100 percent vaccination from all players, coaches, support staff, broadcasters, stadium personnel, etc, etc, then being across the board would not solve the COVID19 problem, but it would remove/simplify a lot of complex issues in running an NFL franchise. The logistics would be dramatically simplified.

However to create a mandate league wide would alienate a large portion of the fanbase that the league can't afford to lose. And they've suffered a lot of losses already from the pandemic and the fallout of the social justice blowback.

Goodell painted himself and the league administration into a corner here. Years and years of the entire "Fall In Line Or Fall Period/Screw You But Pay Me/Take A Beating From The Commissioner/Let's Burn All The Evidence" has left no real choice. You play the role of a heavy, that's all people will expect moving forward. Goodell likes to run people over and in this case it's not going to work.

The league should have done bonus payouts for vaccination based on league tenure. Cash in a plain white envelope always works.

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- The Chicago Bears have placed veteran pass-rusher Robert Quinn on the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.

Quinn tested positive for COVID-19, a source told ESPN's Field Yates. If Quinn is asymptomatic and is vaccinated, he would be able to return once he produces two negative tests 24 hours apart.

This whole Damien Williams story is truly bizarre. Guy opts out last year because his mom had Stage IV cancer; it's admirable that he was willing to put his family first, but the decision cost him his roster spot with the Chiefs. So then he signs a one-year deal with the Bears as the backup behind Montgomery, and when Montgomery goes on IR, he has a chance to shine and maybe secure bigger money next year ... except then he gets Covid. And now he may miss a second straight game because he's unvaccinated, and even if he doesn't, there's a good chance Khalil Herbert may have passed him on the depth chart anyway. 

Also, as far as I can tell his mother is still alive (and still immunocompromised), so by not getting vaxxed he may have put her at risk, too. 

I wish both him and his mother good health, but man, talk about throwing away your shot.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers could potentially be without Aaron Rodgers' most important target for their biggest game of the season Thursday at Arizona after receiver Davante Adams was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Monday.

Adams tested positive for COVID-19, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Adams hasn't been forced to follow protocols for unvaccinated players, an indication that he is vaccinated.

Matt Nagy announced Monday he has tested positive for COVID-19. Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor will stand in for Nagy in full team settings while Nagy is absent due to the coronavirus. Nagy is vaccinated, leaving open the possibility for a return in time for Chicago's Week 8 game against San Francisco.

With four players on the reserve/COVID-19 list and Nagy positive for the novel coronavirus, the Bears are now in enhanced mitigation protocols, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported, per sources. That means mandatory mask-wearing around the team facility and daily testing for all players and staff, regardless of vaccination status.

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers could potentially be without Aaron Rodgers' most important target for their biggest game of the season Thursday at Arizona after receiver Davante Adams was placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list Monday.

Adams tested positive for COVID-19, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. Adams hasn't been forced to follow protocols for unvaccinated players, an indication that he is vaccinated.
And now Lazard also in protocol (and therefore also likely to miss Thursday).

Kind of an interesting contrast between the Adams and Lazard situation tonight that highlights the controversial issue regarding the NFL's policy.

Adams tested positive, is vaccinated - can't play tonight but gets paid.

Lazard did not test positive, is not vaccinated - can't play tonight due to close contact (with Adams) and misses a paycheck.

Kind of an interesting contrast between the Adams and Lazard situation tonight that highlights the controversial issue regarding the NFL's policy.

Lazard did not test positive, is not vaccinated - can't play tonight due to close contact (with Adams) and misses a paycheck.
That's not going to fly when a signific name player misses a paycheck. The NFLPA isn't going to war over Allen Lazard though. Even though they should be representing all their players. 

22 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Expand  
That's not going to fly when a signific name player misses a paycheck. The NFLPA isn't going to war over Allen Lazard though. Even though they should be representing all their players. 

Lazard and his agent reportedly appealed the decision to the NFL, denying that Lazard had "close contact" with Adams and noting that Lazard had 5 consecutive days with negative tests each day prior to the game yesterday.  Appeal denied.

NFL'S COLE BEASLEY

[...]

FYI, Cole.  Eagles fans are the best in the world.

Unvaccinated don't deserve paychecks
Ill be interested in the lawsuit and how it will be ruled. Because yes there's a contract and league rules negotiated by the union but it can be argued that these arbitrary rules were not negotiated in good faith or at the very least not being applied in accordance with safety in mind as was implied. 

Insein said:
Ill be interested in the lawsuit and how it will be ruled. Because yes there's a contract and league rules negotiated by the union but it can be argued that these arbitrary rules were not negotiated in good faith or at the very least not being applied in accordance with safety in mind as was implied. 
Then his grievance is with the body that negotiated on his behalf. 

Then his grievance is with the body that negotiated on his behalf. 
Agreed. Of course he can also sue for how the rules are being applied. Testing negative for 5 straight days and still no positives but because they labeled him "close contact" by an arbitrary nature, he lost a game check. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:
Just stealing his money then basically. 
Not really.  If he was never paid the money, it isn’t his.  He had no problem being in the system when it benefits him.  He’s welcome to go work at a real job.  

Not really.  If he was never paid the money, it isn’t his.  He had no problem being in the system when it benefits him.  He’s welcome to go work at a real job.  
If your real job decided to send you home for a week without pay not because you are sick but because you were near someone who was sick, how would you then feel?

It’s an interesting motivation. His choice obviously but sometime our choices cost us a lot.  It’s certainly an odd choice for a guy who literally sells his body for a living.  

I actually respect people who are willing to tank their careers for their principles.  At least he’s not just talking a bunch of trash and then getting the vaccine on the sly like The right wing media apparatus.  He’s actually putting his money where his mouth is.  

If your real job decided to send you home for a week without pay not because you are sick but because you were near someone who was sick, how would you then feel?
I work for myself but hypothetically, not great.  But if it was for something like this I guess I’d take my medicine.  He fooled around and found out.  

I work for myself but hypothetically, not great.  But if it was for something like this I guess I’d take my medicine.  He fooled around and found out.  
This is why I think the lawsuit will be very interesting. Can an employer take someone's paycheck when they have followed all the arbitrary guidelines laid before them and have proven they are not sick. 

This is why I think the lawsuit will be very interesting. Can an employer take someone's paycheck when they have followed all the arbitrary guidelines laid before them and have proven they are not sick. 
Maybe in our quest to be the most awesomest capitalist nation, we’ve voted way too much power onto corporations.  They control the laws and the courts now.  

You think Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas are going to kneecap corporate America’s ability to impose their will on an employee?  I think not.  

Maybe in our quest to be the most awesomest capitalist nation each, we’ve voted way too much power onto corporations.  They control the laws and the courts now.  

you think Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas are going to kneecap corporate America’s ability to impose their will on an employee?  I think not.  
I'm doubting this makes it that high. Still curious what the courts have to say on this matter. Courts have rule in favor of the employee on the unemployment end the last year with almost complete acceptance of UI regardless of termination cause last year. 

I don't think Lazard would win against the NFL but he might have a chance against the NFLPA since they negotiated in bad faith for him. 

I'm doubting this makes it that high. Still curious what the courts have to say on this matter. Courts have rule in favor of the employee on the unemployment end the last year with almost complete acceptance of UI regardless of termination cause last year. 

I don't think Lazard would win against the NFL but he might have a chance against the NFLPA since they negotiated in bad faith for him. 
I do as well.  However our lower courts are full of corporate friendly judges as well.  

What is the bad faith? 

I do as well.  However our lower courts are full of corporate friendly judges as well.  

What is the bad faith? 
They negotiated a set of rules that implied if you were not sick and showed you were not sick then you wouldn't miss time. Now he's missed a game despite proving he wasn't sick. 

They negotiated a set of rules that implied if you were not sick and showed you were not sick then you wouldn't miss time. Now he's missed a game despite proving he wasn't sick. 
Gotcha.  Now that he knows he won’t get paid, I wonder if he gets vaccinated.  

Gotcha.  Now that he knows he won’t get paid, I wonder if he gets vaccinated.  
I doubt it. He's obviously weighed the benefits of getting it vs not getting it and felt it wasn't for him. I'm sure the pressure is there to cave in but if he didn't cave in the preseason to the pressure, I doubt he will now.

It sounds good but I’d expect a union member’s ability to sue his employer or his union is extremely limited. Not to say there is no claim at all, but it’s not like he can sue the union because they negotiated a deal he doesn’t like. 

I doubt it. He's obviously weighed the benefits of getting it vs not getting it and felt it wasn't for him. I'm sure the pressure is there to cave in but if he didn't cave in the preseason to the pressure, I doubt he will now.
But according to your argument he made that decision based on money to an extent.  If the money goes away, does that change the equation for him?  Obviously you don’t know the answer, I just mean it will be interesting.  

But according to your argument he made that decision based on money to an extent.  If the money goes away, does that change the equation for him?  
I don't remember saying he did it for money. I have no idea why he made his decision. Point is, he's been bribed, coerced, pressured, threatened and now punished into taking the jab. But he hasn't so far. I doubt he changes his mind. 

Ha, they don't just take players words for it, they got to show proof of vaccine. So unless he used a forged vaccination copy he was not lying.
I wanted to reply to this here because I'm sure it's going off topic, but there is no real depository for recording vaccination cards. So yes, it's very possible Aaron Rodgers forged a card to  show he was vaccinated.

I wanted to reply to this here because I'm sure it's going off topic, but there is no real depository for recording vaccination cards. So yes, it's very possible Aaron Rodgers forged a card to  show he was vaccinated.
Yes and an NHL player recently was busted using a fake vax card.

I was just trying to say no one is taking his word for it and if he did in fact use a fake vax card I would suspect an immediate suspension is heading his way.

Yes and an NHL player recently was busted using a fake vax card.

I was just trying to say no one is taking his word for it and if he did in fact use a fake vax card I would suspect an immediate suspension is heading his way.
Pretty big news.  Is that the speculation right now?  He used a fake card?

Pretty big news.  Is that the speculation right now?  He used a fake card?
Here's the thing, you can't just say "Oh I'm vaccinated". To get into the "vaccinated" level of mandates, you have to show proof of vaccination a.k.a a vaccination card showing you had X Vaccine by X doctor and the dates. However unless you were vaccinated by the team, you can bring in a card by the medical organization who gave you the shot. There's no real verification database so you show the card, you're good.

For the Packers to have Rodgers in the "vaccinated" level of mandates, he a) showed them a fake card b) him and the Packers did a *wink wink nudge nudge* deal. The first is bad, the second would be really bad.

Users who are viewing this thread