What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wealth inequality (1 Viewer)

I have zero problem with it.  They get rich off the backs of all of us.  Squeeze them enough and you'll eventually get the result you want (or at least the result I want).
Don't buy their product?  Seems like a straightforward market solution.  Nothing forces you to use amazon or twitter, facebook, MS office, etc etc.

This becomes a semantics debate. I dont think wealth inequality is a problem. I think lots of things that can lead to wealth inequality can be a problem. But ultimately the income floor is the real problem. If the bottom 90% of earners all received 500% raises tomorrow, but the top 10% got 1000% that would be inequality, but it would be awesome for everybody. 

The whole concept of focusing on the amount of money the upper echelon has just seems completely ridiculous. We dont have to take their money to robin hood it. 

Now people will say that they just lump all those problems that need fixing into a big general dumpster of "wealth inequality" and that is why I say it becomes a semantics debate. If people want to use that term, i cant stop them of course, but it just seems to me that the only reason to use that term would be to focus on taking away from the rich rather than actually working to help the poor. 
If we aren’t going to take from the rich, what is your plan to get more money to poor people? Print more money? Raise the minimum wage? If you have another solution, I’m all ears for it. 

Bucs, do you have a specific tax or other source of taking money from rich people you would implement and how much that would bring in?

What do you do if (and we know when) government allocates this income poorly and you still have poor people?

Not trolling, in general as I noted earlier I would be for some sort of additional tax on extreme wealth...just not sure it amount to much and not confident it solves anything in the long run. 

Don't buy their product?  Seems like a straightforward market solution.  Nothing forces you to use amazon or twitter, facebook, MS office, etc etc.
I don't know if you made this specific argument, but the above would seem to go against a fairly recent talking point that Twitter and Facebook are monopolies and shouldn't be allowed to remove/silence those they believe violate their terms of service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you made this specific argument, but the above would seem to go against a fairly recent talking point that Twitter and Facebook are monopolies and shouldn't be allowed to remove/silence they believe violate their terms of service.
I didn't, but I believe they both exhibit "market hoarding" traits, not sure either I'd consider a monopoly or even duopoly.  I haven't weighed into the argument of if they should be able to silence or not, I can see both sides to that argument and laws aside I think silencing of speech is bad for the country (in general I think discrimination is bad). 

Are they arguing for a meaningful tax on their existing wealth?
A few quick searches show me that Gates has argued for treating capital gains like ordinary income and increases in the estate tax, which is about as close to a tax on existing wealth as one can get in our current tax structure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/warren-buffett-and-bill-gates-the-rich-should-pay-higher-taxes.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2019/10/15/billionaires-more-taxes-gates-buffett-bloomberg/?sh=7f1142767792

This next one seems to indicate that Gates had some reservations about a wealth tax, but the actual quotes are somewhat ambiguous.  A lot of the article is worthless opining by random folks on what Gates meant.

https://medium.com/citizen-truth/philanthropist-bill-gates-nervous-about-wealth-tax-80ac233fd583

Can we all first admit there is a problem with wealth inequality?  I mean, is there anyone who believes this isn't a problem to solve?
This becomes a semantics debate. I dont think wealth inequality is a problem. I think lots of things that can lead to wealth inequality can be a problem. But ultimately the income floor is the real problem. If the bottom 90% of earners all received 500% raises tomorrow, but the top 10% got 1000% that would be inequality, but it would be awesome for everybody. 

The whole concept of focusing on the amount of money the upper echelon has just seems completely ridiculous. We dont have to take their money to robin hood it. 

Now people will say that they just lump all those problems that need fixing into a big general dumpster of "wealth inequality" and that is why I say it becomes a semantics debate. If people want to use that term, i cant stop them of course, but it just seems to me that the only reason to use that term would be to focus on taking away from the rich rather than actually working to help the poor. 
I guess ideologically we can disagree.  When the agenda of the top 10% is simply to protect their 10%, not to truly make things better, I believe our true north is broken.

:2cents:

A few quick searches show me that Gates has argued for treating capital gains like ordinary income and increases in the estate tax, which is about as close to a tax on existing wealth as one can get in our current tax structure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/25/warren-buffett-and-bill-gates-the-rich-should-pay-higher-taxes.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2019/10/15/billionaires-more-taxes-gates-buffett-bloomberg/?sh=7f1142767792

This next one seems to indicate that Gates had some reservations about a wealth tax, but the actual quotes are somewhat ambiguous.  A lot of the article is worthless opining by random folks on what Gates meant.

https://medium.com/citizen-truth/philanthropist-bill-gates-nervous-about-wealth-tax-80ac233fd583
Actually you can get a lot closer on taxing existing wealth as proposed by Elizabeth Warren annual wealth tax.

This is sort of astray from the topic but before I hold up Bezos, Buffet, Gates as models of "hey im rich and take my money" I'd at least want to see them support the only real way that would impact them today...which as you note the one way it would impact Gates today he has reservations about.

So basically, tax all those people that haven't made their wealth yet...thats very heroic of them.

BTW, I think the capital gains idea is a good one to explore (wouldn't be great for me).  Estate tax I'm a little more sketchy on but think its an area to look into.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
I don't know if you made this specific argument, but the above would seem to go against a fairly recent talking point that Twitter and Facebook are monopolies and shouldn't be allowed to remove/silence they believe violate their terms of service.
Amazon the retailer and amazon the massive web hoster(twitter and facebook as well) should be treated very differently. 

Actually you can get a lot closer on taxing existing wealth as proposed by Elizabeth Warren annual wealth tax.

This is sort of astray from the topic but before I hold up Bezos, Buffet, Gates as models of "hey im rich and take my money" I'd at least want to see them support the only real way that would impact them today...which as you note the one way it would impact Gates today he has reservations about.

So basically, tax all those people that haven't made their wealth yet...thats very heroic of them.

BTW, I think the capital gains idea is a good one to explore (wouldn't be great for me).  Estate tax I'm a little more sketchy on but think its an area to look into.
I understand the bolded.  My point was that a wealth tax is a departure from our current, income-based tax structure.  Such a proposal would get bogged down in Constitutional questions, among other issues.  Off the top of my head, I think raising the rates on capital gains and estate taxes are about as close as one can get to taxing "wealth" within an income-based tax structure, although I could be missing something.

I would also point out that there is no "universal wealth tax proposal", much the same way there is no "universal BIG/UBI proposal", so it gets tough to discuss the nitty-gritty of what such proposals would entail.  There can be a world of difference between two proposals even though both might fall in the realm of "wealth tax proposals".  Without agreement on what a proposal is, it's tough to debate the specific pros and cons.

Amazon the retailer and amazon the massive web hoster(twitter and facebook as well) should be treated very differently.
Specifically why I listed Twitter and Facebook and not Amazon. :hifive:

13 minutes ago, djmich said:

Expand  
I understand the bolded.  My point was that a wealth tax is a departure from our current, income-based tax structure.  Such a proposal would get bogged down in Constitutional questions, among other issues.  Off the top of my head, I think raising the rates on capital gains and estate taxes are about as close as one can get to taxing "wealth" within an income-based tax structure, although I could be missing something.

I would also point out that there is no "universal wealth tax proposal", much the same way there is no "universal BIG/UBI proposal", so it gets tough to discuss the nitty-gritty of what such proposals would entail.  There can be a world of difference between two proposals even though both might fall in the realm of "wealth tax proposals".  Without agreement on what a proposal is, it's tough to debate the specific pros and cons.
Agree 1000%.  Our current "income based" tax structure is being massively taken advantage of

I have to remember this when people are complaining about Big Tech around here.   We can just choose not to use those things? ;)  

I have to remember this when people are complaining about Big Tech around here.   We can just choose not to use those things? ;)  
Right, you are more aligned than you think, there are good reasons not to see power and income monopolized  :clap:

I have zero problem with it.  They get rich off the backs of all of us.  Squeeze them enough and you'll eventually get the result you want (or at least the result I want).
Quite the opposite.  My life, at least, is better because of all three.  I've used or bought products from all.  What they provide has value and so it prospers.  

If the bottom 90% of earners all received 500% raises tomorrow,
Then we'd have massive inflation as prices rise to meet the excess cash in the system.  

It's blatantly unconstitutional, i.e. a pipe dream.  It's now simply something she can use as a talking point for as long as she's in office.  It will never come true, she knows that, so she can safely talk about it forever.  Capital gains taxes are really the only meaningful way to tax the truly wealthy.

It's blatantly unconstitutional, i.e. a pipe dream.  It's now simply something she can use as a talking point for as long as she's in office.  It will never come true, she knows that, so she can safely talk about it forever.  Capital gains taxes are really the only meaningful way to tax the truly wealthy.
This is certainly debatable.  I've read good arguments on both sides.  I suspect that SCOTUS, given its current makeup, would rule such a tax unconstitutional, but that's not the same thing as "it's blatantly unconstitutional".

Quite the opposite.  My life, at least, is better because of all three.  I've used or bought products from all.  What they provide has value and so it prospers.  
No clue what that has to do with what I said.  I never said my life isn’t better because of these companies and I’ve bought products from them all too.  Taxing the #### out of them won’t make them or their replacement go away.  The idea that innovation or services that would still enrich people would dry up is absurd.  The statement “off the backs of all of us” should be taken at face value - meaning, without people paying them money they aren’t rich.  There’s literally no argument to be had there.  

Relevant to earlier discussion: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/stocktons-basic-income-experiment-pays-off/618174/

In one of the least surprising developments ever, it turns out, UBI works!

The families receiving the $500 a month tended to spend the money on essentials, including food, home goods, utilities, and gas. (Less than 1 percent went to cigarettes and alcohol.) The cash also doubled the households’ capacity to pay unexpected bills, and allowed recipient families to pay down their debts. Individuals getting the cash were also better able to help their families and friends, providing financial stability to the broader community.

The researchers also found that the guaranteed income did not dissuade participants from working—adding to a large body of evidence showing that cash benefits do not dramatically shrink the labor force and in some cases help people work by giving them the stability they need to find and take a new job. In the Stockton study, the share of participants with a full-time job rose 12 percentage points, versus five percentage points in the control group. In an interview, Martin-West and Castro Baker suggested that the money created capacity for goal setting, risk taking, and personal investment.

Rich Conway said:
Relevant to earlier discussion: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/03/stocktons-basic-income-experiment-pays-off/618174/

In one of the least surprising developments ever, it turns out, UBI works!
I wouldn't go that far.  I read that article yesterday and it struck me that this was a very small study (125 folks) and that the difference in employment was small (12% increase vs. 5% in the control group).  There was no mention in here of statistical significance and it's likely that there isn't one due to the sample size and the low percentage changes.  So, for now, I'd regard those results as purely anecdotal.  Always be wary when a highly biased source (which the Atlantic certainly is) writes something like this with no discussion of statistics.

I wouldn't go that far.  I read that article yesterday and it struck me that this was a very small study (125 folks) and that the difference in employment was small (12% increase vs. 5% in the control group).  There was no mention in here of statistical significance and it's likely that there isn't one due to the sample size and the low percentage changes.  So, for now, I'd regard those results as purely anecdotal.  Always be wary when a highly biased source (which the Atlantic certainly is) writes something like this with no discussion of statistics.
I disagree on "highly biased source".  That said, it's not like this is the only study showing UBI works.  There are plenty of them over the years and the overall conclusion is undeniable.

I disagree on "highly biased source".  That said, it's not like this is the only study showing UBI works.  There are plenty of them over the years and the overall conclusion is undeniable.
The Swedish study was larger - 2000 people.  It showed, again, very marginal results (78 days of employment for UBI, 72 days of employment for control).  Finland has a similar sized study that was discontinued due to being a failure.

The question is very much open at this point.

UBI has lots of benefits.  Why is the only thing anybody ever talks about whether people keep working as much?  Does it make people happier or healthier or more secure?  Does it make them better parents and caregivers?  Maybe those are the important things we need to look at.  I don’t really care that much if McDonald’s has enough workers.

UBI has lots of benefits.  Why is the only thing anybody ever talks about whether people keep working as much?  Does it make people happier or healthier or more secure?  Does it make them better parents and caregivers?  Maybe those are the important things we need to look at.  I don’t really care that much if McDonald’s has enough workers.
We'd probably all be better off if McDonald's implemented more automation and we taxed McD's savings to pay for UBI.  The food would likely be better and more consistent too.

One of my main drivers for UBI is that I believe the world is moving towards massive automation.  Vast swaths of people will be unemployed, to levels beyond the Great Depression worldwide.  UBI will be the ONLY way to resolve this without violent/lasting upheaval and massive pain and suffering.  I'd rather live in one of the first countries to figure out how to do UBI right than one of the last.

Why is the only thing anybody ever talks about whether people keep working as much?  
Ultimately a system like this needs to be self-sustaining.  Any effort like this must end up with enough employment gains to turn net recipients into net contributors to keep the system going.

The rest are nice to have, but certainly not must have.  Without sustainability it's destined to implode.

Because the guy in the middle looks Jewish?  
Or because he looks old?  Or he’s white.
Lol... The guy looks Jewish? How so?

And, are you trying to suggest that the wealthiest people in this country AREN'T white males? That's your takeaway from that cartoon?

ETA -- Do a google search of the top 50 wealthiest people in the US. You'll actually see a list of the top 25, or so. All of them are white. All but like 4 or 5 are men (with the women pretty much being relatives or ex-wives of men from that list).

Lol... The guy looks Jewish? How so?

And, are you trying to suggest that the wealthiest people in this country AREN'T white males? That's your takeaway from that cartoon?

ETA -- Do a google search of the top 50 wealthiest people in the US. You'll actually see a list of the top 25, or so. All of them are white. All but like 4 or 5 are men (with the women pretty much being relatives or ex-wives of men from that list).
Ah, so as long as the stereotype has underlying data to support it that’s ok?  What if the old man  was wearing a kippah?

There have been many studies showing an association between increased neighborhood disadvantages and poorer health outcomes. If you consider the opposite (contrapositive),  is this in play with COVID-19 vaccine distribution in Florida? Many of these wealthy neighborhoods also have lots of old money and old people, so the democrats need to make sure they don't overpay this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1367822202188496900

is that a surprise ? 

the shutdowns & covid restrictions killed literally tens of thousands of small businesses and millions of jobs .......... everyone knew the consequences of that and if they didn't, they were not thinking/understanding the simplicity of it

here's something else - that 1.2 trillion infrastructure bill ? it'll make many Biden supporters richer - much richer 

that's part of the political games that are played - the difference is Democrats/Biden talk this talk of being for the poor people and fighting wealth disparity etc .... its all lies to get votes. Really - how much wealth do you think Biden will acquire in the next 4 years? 

As recently as November 2009, Joe Biden's net worth was less than $30,000, according to CBS, but life post-vice presidency has been quite lucrative for President Obama's former number two. When Biden released his financial disclosures in July of 2019, they showed that he and his wife Jill had earned more than $15 million in 2017 and 2018.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/politics/a31265187/joe-biden-net-worth/

the shutdowns & covid restrictions killed literally tens of thousands of small businesses and millions of jobs .......... everyone knew the consequences of that and if they didn't, they were not thinking/understanding the simplicity of it

You get what you enact.  When you shut down small business and keep Walmart open guess where the money goes?

When you keep rates at ZIRP for forever (thank Obama for this one) what do you expect?

When you print money hand over fist and pass massive spending bills (thanks Biden and Trump!), causing real property inflation those with assets benefit - what else were you expecting?

At this point we can leave out the Trump tax cuts as they actually did much more for the middle and lower economic classes than has been trumpeted from the media and in here.  IRS data there, so hopefully in Tim's green zone.  I don't expect retractions from either, though.  That would be silly to expect such.

Opinion piece by Justin Haskins, editor-in-chief of StoppingSocialism.com.  
If you have a concurrent analysis using the same IRS data that concludes something different please share it.  Otherwise maybe lay off aspersions.

BTW, here is what was published.  I don't see opinion in there.  I see analysis and conclusions based on IRS data.  You may disagree with those facts as presented, but you're going have to back it up with something.  Table 1 shows a pretty clear trend to me.

Are you under the impression that this is unusual?

nope

but Democrats have repeated for the last few years how the rich are bad, gotta hammer them harder on their wealth, the inequality is horrible, continuing this privilege thing ... and the people shaking their heads yes yes yes and agreeing and thinking the Democrats are on their side? they're fooled - the Democrats are the very people they're talking about and they're not committing suicide FYI

Biden is an example as is his son Hunter

If you have a concurrent analysis using the same IRS data that concludes something different please share it.  Otherwise maybe lay off aspersions.

BTW, here is what was published.  I don't see opinion in there.  I see analysis and conclusions based on IRS data.  You may disagree with those facts as presented, but you're going have to back it up with something.  Table 1 shows a pretty clear trend to me.
You are fine.  The first link you used linked to the opinion section of the The Hill.   Using the same data from his table one, I'd tell a different story.

Average tax cut for someone making:

• $20-25K - $101.69
  • $50-75K- $863.46
  • $500K -$1M - $14,959.92
  • $2M - 5M - $37,133.16
  • $10M+ - $611,003.42
This is before we look at the value of the corporate tax cut on their stock portfolios.

I'm not sure that I agree with the authors conclusion that the Trump Tax cut did much more for the middle and lower economic classes.  

nope

but Democrats have repeated for the last few years how the rich are bad, gotta hammer them harder on their wealth, the inequality is horrible, continuing this privilege thing ... and the people shaking their heads yes yes yes and agreeing and thinking the Democrats are on their side? they're fooled - the Democrats are the very people they're talking about and they're not committing suicide FYI

Biden is an example as is his son Hunter
If you have some sort of gotcha moment from a former VP making money after he leaves office, rock on. 

You are fine.  The first link you used linked to the opinion section of the The Hill.   Using the same data from his table one, I'd tell a different story.

Average tax cut for someone making:

• $20-25K - $101.69
  • $50-75K- $863.46
  • $500K -$1M - $14,959.92
  • $2M - 5M - $37,133.16
  • $10M+ - $611,003.42
This is before we look at the value of the corporate tax cut on their stock portfolios.

I'm not sure that I agree with the authors conclusion that the Trump Tax cut did much more for the middle and lower economic classes.  
I'd prefer to use percentages than raw numbers, as those are more revealing as to what the effects were.  Obviously a household making 50k isn't paying enough federal taxes to get a 37k reduction, etc.  And, to be fair, I thought that tax cut should have eliminated the SS income threshold (180k?) so we could shore up that system.  

I also believe the corporate tax should be zero, or close to (now that we have a global 15% floor that's what we should do).  These are pass through entities and, in the end, individuals pay all taxes.

I'd prefer to use percentages than raw numbers, as those are more revealing as to what the effects were.  Obviously a household making 50k isn't paying enough federal taxes to get a 37k reduction, etc.  And, to be fair, I thought that tax cut should have eliminated the SS income threshold (180k?) so we could shore up that system.  

I also believe the corporate tax should be zero, or close to (now that we have a global 15% floor that's what we should do).  These are pass through entities and, in the end, individuals pay all taxes.
Tell that to the guy making $22K when he tries to take his 16% to the bank.  

Tell that to the guy making $22K when he tries to take his 16% to the bank.  
A guy making 22k isn't paying much at all in federal taxes to begin with.  Dipping below zero starts to create all kinds of perverse incentives, so really there's only so much blood to squeeze from that stone if you don't do that.

A guy making 22k isn't paying much at all in federal taxes to begin with.  Dipping below zero starts to create all kinds of perverse incentives, so really there's only so much blood to squeeze from that stone if you don't do that.
Agreed.  He was paying about $600 year, now he is paying $500 year.  His savings was less than $10 per month.  The guy who just saved $50K per month seems to have been advantaged more.  The author wants to push a narrative that the $22K guy saving 16% is better off than the multi-millionaire saving less than 6%.  

Also, if you look at the CAGR of the markets before and after the tax cut you won't find a whole lot there.  The markets have been growing for a long time and continue to.  

I'd put much more on Fed monetary policy when it comes to value of hard assets than this particular tax cut.

Users who are viewing this thread