What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (3 Viewers)

El Floppo said:
My grandfather pronounced it - doo-wuz. But I doubt he ever drank dewars with sprite.  :banned:

for good reason as it turns out. But it's what I've got at the MILs place. 
That sounds harsh, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  

(I vividly remember stealing some of my daughter's pedialite for a gin mixer - definitely not recommended cocktail either).  

I do think The Joshua Tree is U2's most consistent album, as I mentioned, but the highs in The Unforgettable Fire are amazing, and it's got more teeth to it. Would've gone with those song picks too. "Bad" is my favorite of theirs.
Really an insane value pick at the end of Rnd4. And I loved the Joshua Tree, but I just prefer this album now. Twenty five years ago, probably not.

Soul Mining – The The

This is undoubtedly one of the true masterpieces of the new wave/original post-punk era. Sure, the synth and drum machine-heavy production makes it sound very much of a certain time, but the song-writing is brilliant and Matt Johnson’s caustic lyrics and really committed delivery are amazing.

Songs:

This is the Day

Uncertain Smile
This one was on my radar for a few rounds from now.

El Floppo said:
I still like u2. 

Even like some of their stuff from this centruy. I also scored with the ladies because I bore a passing resembelnce to Bono back in the 80s.
  I was at their last claw show in Canada to see Arcade Fire open up.  At that point I was already tired of Bono's act, but thought it might be a cool experience to see them.  I was already in a bad place before they even went on though because of the DB's.  Arcade Fire crushed it as always, and we (20% of crowd) were all dancing around and having fun.  You couldn't help but notice all of the menacing stares, scowls, and trash talk coming from the completly still part of the crowd during the whole set. 

To this day that show was one of the most strange scenes I have ever been involved with.  I watched the U2 line signup sheet message board guy/kid (from a distance), who led all the U2 rail folk in, put his hands on a girl who had happened to arrive at his spot early. He pushed her down and security ran over.  Security actually kicked her out after that and she left crying. 

Throughout the u2 portion of the show everyone in the crowd was acting stand-offish, and seemingly looking for violence.  They were so obsessed with Bono and praising everything, that it was actually kinda creepy.  And they didn't move or dance at all.  They just yelled crap out.

The show was loud, Bono was arrogant, and it went on forever.  That was expected at least.  On the way in to the show, it seemed everyone in the lot's were happy. Leaving was a totally different story.  Lots of pushing and general nonsense walking back to the camp site. May e it was because the U2 tour lasted two years and was over. I don't know.

After I got back across the border I had a random guy push me and want to fight in a gas station over my reaction to the show. He saw my Arcade Fire shirt and asked what I thought of it.  I was tired and was like meh, it was ok. He totally snapped.  He was offended I didn't drop to my knees singing U2's praise apparently.  I was bigger than him but just wanted to get home to my kids so I walked away.

Anyway, that's why I'm half Irish but hate U2 nation lol.

we Irish do like a bit of pint and a fight ...
It was beyond that. Not to get political, but it was like those MAGA rallys you see on TV.  So strange, the combination of anger, selfishness, and an unsettling devotion.  I hope I never see anything like that again.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very close to just passing out.  Should I pass someone my pick, or just start at 8am et when I wake?

Sorry wasn’t expecting to be up again tonight. 

Nick Drake- Pink Moon 

“Place to Be” 

“From the Morning”

Thanks again to @krista4 for introducing me to this fine artist. 
I thought, or hoped, you might go here sometime soon-ish.  I think this is his best record as a whole.  And I’m again unreasonably happy to have introduced you to him.

Once upon a time, it was paradise
Once upon a time, I was paralyzed
Think I'm gonna miss these harbor lights
But it's time to let it go

Eephus said:
Was there ever a decision about more rounds?
A lot of people think they'd like to spend two hours at the Golden Corral on Seafood night until about 45 minutes. On that scale this draft has only lasted 12 minutes. Let's see how perky everyone is about it after 43 fried shrimp.

krista4 said:
We had, I think I'm remembering it all:  pork/crab xiao long bao (soup dumplings), pork/shrimp shao mai (2 orders), pork/shrimp spicy wontons, vegetable rice cakes, garlic string beans, pork cutlet fried rice, fried hainan noodles with shrimp, salted cod dumplings, xiao long bao with chocolate(!!), and some sort of bun with red bean paste.  We usually just get the first five, but it was a special occasion. 
Now I want to eat at your house.  

We've been going to a Bangladeshi restaurant.  We take our samosas to the McDonald's, buy a coke, and eat in the parking lot.  Good lord, those are so good.  I've discovered a love for tamarind chutney.  That woman can really cook.  Mmmm- lamb chops.

Menu

5.06 - Back To Black - Amy Winehouse

Back2back 27s........................... And the last two people who could have saved jazz - more's the pity. I actually prefer Miss Amy's debut album, which makes me feel the loss more keenly. But the mastery here - pop too hot to drop, totally modern story songs with lyrical shape str8out of The Songbook. It is to die.

@PIK95

5.06 - Back To Black - Amy Winehouse

Back2back 27s........................... And the only two people who could have saved jazz - more's the pity. I actually prefer Miss Amy's debut album, which makes me feel the loss more keenly. But the mastery here - pop too hot to drop, totally modern story songs with lyrical shape str8out of The Songbook. It is to die.
I’m not as prone to superlatives and flowery language as you are, but this album is just exquisite.

Nigel Tufnel said:
Bring it haters. 

4.35 (?) The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Songs in a bit. 
my rd 4 choice came down to the 'Mats or the Smiffs - thought this one might hang on another round.  

i love both Moz and Paul equally - and it was tough leaving that Marr goodness on the bench. 

i dig how he's so polarizing, he wouldn't have it any other way - he feeds off it, actually.  

did i mention that i love Moz?

takin' the piss outta all youse for some 35+ years 🖤

oh, and Moz >> Bono 

The Unforgettable Fire – U2

I am neither a U2 mega-fan, nor, obviously, a hater (suck it, @shuke), but this album is just too masterful to pass up starting this draft at the bottom of the 4th Round.

I think it is low-key their best album (though Joshua Tree is a strong contender).

Songs:

The Unforgettable Fire

Bad

The Clash (self-titled debut, UK) – The Clash

My top two clash albums were off the board WAY early, so I am getting this one while the getting is good. It is the only straight forward punk album the Clash ever put out. I liked their eclecticism, but I appreciate the sheer energy and aggression of this record a lot.

Songs:

Janie Jones

White Riot

Soul Mining – The The

This is undoubtedly one of the true masterpieces of the new wave/original post-punk era. Sure, the synth and drum machine-heavy production makes it sound very much of a certain time, but the song-writing is brilliant and Matt Johnson’s caustic lyrics and really committed delivery are amazing.

Songs:

This is the Day

Uncertain Smile

Live in London (w/Joe Strummer) – The Pogues

This is the ultimate @Eephus pick. I get the best of the Pogues catalog, with Joe Strummer on vocals, and a few of my favorite Clash songs that I missed out on in Round 1. The single best thing on the album is Joe Strummer acknowledging Shane McGowan in the crowd (he had left the band to deal with his alcoholism) and extorting the fans to give him some “f----ing appreciation”.

Songs:

Dirty Old Town

Straight to Hell
1. "UF" is not only U2's finest musical hour, it's also their finest song.

one of the Jr instructors at my daughter's dance academy fancies herself an 80s aficionado - i thought it was just fashion statement shtick, but she really digs the music ... she asked me to cull a Spotty playlist for her featuring my top 25 of the decade - she had the expected reaction to all of it (LOVED!), but "Unforgettable Fire" struck the chord in that kid bigly - she choreographed an interprative piece that she was gonna dance at her HS's senior appreciation gig - never came to fruition due to the lockdown, natch - but that's exemplary of the power that tune packs when processed by an inspired soul - so many just know the usual hits and largess of the Bono.

"Pride" took all of the public accolades from this album (though "Bad" resonates deeper with devotees, along with "UF") - i said it in Tim's NU WAVE thread, and i'll say it here - i never got the overwhelming love for "Pride", and it really doesn't meld with the rest of that platters aural landscape.  yeah, i know, homage to MLK and all, but it's just outta place here ... "A Sort Of Homecoming" kicks off where we're heading, and it's evident right away that it's gonna be  a much more textured journey than anything the lads laid down prior - Eno/Lanois were leading them down some sonically luscious paths - but after that opening salvo, we're punched in the grill with "Pride" - meh ... it's just fish outta water - not a bad song (pun intended), but then we're regaled with their greatest 3 song run in Wire/UF/Promenade - all fixed in accordance with "Homecoming", but the "Pride" hiccup still renders me baffled - perhaps better served on side 2, it just feels like it was the single, and it had to be included. 

/"Pride" rant. 

anyways ... amazing album, sorry to see it go, though i suspect it was high time someone laid the love down on it. 

2. the eponymous Clash is their only punk album - totally agreed ... Bernie Rhodes saw what his buddies Malcolm (Pistols) and Andy (manager of the Damned) were up to, and knew he had to get a group together to rival them. 

Joe was an r n' b bar band strummer (the 101ers), and Mick had guitar god designs ... Paul was a Brixton snipe who loved his dancehall and reggae and dub - insert random Chimes or Headon on skins - in short, this album was crucial inasmuch that they knew it (a PUNK! stance) was their only path into the game, ergo allowing them to stretch their chops in any number of differing directions.

Bernie took them aside and said "everyone always writes about girls and love and cars - you gotta write about other things, things that matter to you socially/politically" - and they did ... credit where it's due, this has a crisper pace, and is leaner than "Bollocks", even with the nods to the aforementioned genres with "Police and Thieves" and "White Man in Ham Palais" (which is the jewel of this album, no question). 

the sonic confines of what defined the movement were always gonna be too restrictive for this bunch - so claustrophobic were they that it spawned genre bending works the rest of their way (lest their second album, which had it's punk moments, but was more trad rock, straight up).

the fingerprints of the various influences smear everything they produced right up to "Combat Rock" ... they may have been "the only band that mattered" for a spell, but they were far removed from any semblance of punk's Stalanist boundaries by that time. 

they were raw, but i never bought them as a crew that had a blinding desire to deconstruct the industry, but rather just reshape it to their preferences, which they did on their terms- so, mission accomploshed. 

all that being said, it's still a top 5 "must have" from that early class of England's rabble rousers - it's a powerful snap of a culture at the crossroads. 

3. i need to dig deeper into "Soul Mining" ... was never big on my radar.  

4. gotta say, for my money, Pogues body of work is on par with the Clash, and Shane is the great unsung frontman of all-time ... Joe was a natural here, this is a phenomenal piece of work - too good to be true, actually - can't toss enough love to this one.  

tl;dr - KILLER RUN!

PS- on mobile this morning, quoting each album individually woulda sent me straight to the Dew-uhhhz 🥃 ... maybe that's not the worst thing, actually. 

I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw U2 as well but I still love Achtung Baby
I saw them a while back at MSG. I don’t dislike them at all, just not as “all in” as most. I don’t think they were a particularly great live act but it did make me realize just how many “big” songs they had. For me I just don’t think the Edge is a very good guitarist and the band doesn’t have a ton of energy- they may have when they were younger though. This was around 2000.

Bill Clinton was near us on the floor in a VIP section (he was not us) which was interesting.

KarmaPolice said:
Still working on my 2nd pick, but will get this up there.   This is another band that I am a little bit surprised by the order of albums that have gotten picked.   Staring at my list this is another of those bands I don't want to risk having nothing on from on my island, and since my favorite album of theirs is still on the board it would be bad form not to take it.  (even though @Ilov80s ruined the pick a little by taking the 2 songs I was going to put in the list with his pick)  :P   On the plus side, the playlist will have 4 songs from my favorite Talking Heads albums, so I guess a thank you is more in order!! 

4.36:   TALKING HEADS - FEAR OF MUSIC

Mind

Cities 
I had my reasons for SiT (my first record purchase), but you can't go wrong with any TH album that's for sure...

Side A is as good as it gets:

I Zimbra3:06

Mind4:12

Paper2:36

Cities4:05

Life During Wartime3:41

👍

KarmaPolice said:
Alright - decision made.   I am gamble that I know the drafters enough that I am pretty sure one of my favorite albums of the 00s will go untouched.   Pretty sure I am the only one who drafts it or talks it up during these things, but it would be painful not to have it on my island, so I better be right.   Instead I will stick the 70s since most of the sniping seems to be happening here.  Probably listened to this album 5-6x in the last couple days, so it's time to draft it and move on to some more research.  

5.01:  THIN LIZZY - JAILBREAK

Cowboy Song

Angel From the Coast
I missed the boat on these guys (other than the smash hit), but after getting into vinyl 3 years ago I've been catching up on quite a lot of missed rock n roll, this is a kick butt record and band, great selection.

If we have this draft 10 years from now, I might have some Thin Lizzy next time..👍

zamboni said:
4.34: Queen - A Night At The Opera

Will provide write up/songs in the AM.
One of my very first favorite albums. An eclectic tour de force by a band that obviously sold a gazillion albums, but IMO never did anything better either before or after this 1975 gem. I probably would need to move the needle past "Bohemian Rhapsody" at this point due to massive overplay, but it still remains one the best rock songs ever written.

Side one

1."Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to...)"

2."Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon"

3."I'm in Love with My Car"

4."You're My Best Friend"

5."'39"

6."Sweet Lady"

7."Seaside Rendezvous"

Side two

1."The Prophet's Song"

2."Love of My Life"

3."Good Company"