What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL owners & NFLPA approve a 17-game season: details & fantasy football discussion thread. (1 Viewer)

The only way the league is going to get more than a 16-game schedule is by adding more teams, and I don't see the NFL doing that anytime soon.

The only way the league is going to get more than a 16-game schedule is by adding more teams, and I don't see the NFL doing that anytime soon.

This is so wrong imo. The players will never again receive a CBA offer that has "only" 16 games as part of the deal. The owners have been allowed to get too close here, even if this vote fails (and that seems unlikely) the players are never getting the owners' teeth out of that juicy steak. It's coming.

What we need to be discussing on this board is how this effects our leagues and schedules.

First blush from my leaguemates--it changes nothing and we just don't play week 17 OR week 18 now. Should lead to less studs sitting in week 16 championships (which wasn't common anyways). 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so wrong imo. The players will never again receive a CBA offer that has "only" 16 games as part of the deal. The owners have been allowed to get too close here, even if this vote fails (and that seems unlikely) the players are never getting the owners' teeth out of that juicy steak. It's coming.

What we need to be discussing on this board is how this effects our leagues and schedules.

First blush from my leaguemates--it changes nothing and we just don't play week 16 OR week 17 now. Should lead to less studs sitting in week 15 championships (which wasn't common anyways). 
Think you're off by a week (there's already 17 weeks in the nfl).  There weren't many week 15 championships anyways.  Do you mean we don't play week 17 or 18? 

Think you're off by a week (there's already 17 weeks in the nfl).  There weren't many week 15 championships anyways.  Do you mean we don't play week 17 or 18? 
Yeah, that's what I meant, thank you. I'll edit to avoid confusion 

I’d welcome any comments from the Shark Pool on how you are planning on adapting your fantasy football schedules to a 17-game season?

What I want to know is how is the league going to determine who plays who in the 17th week?
Still hold the same playoff format (playoffs weeks 14, 15, 16 for 12 team leagues and week 13 - 16 for 2 conference leagues).  If anything, having another game at the end reduces the chances of players sitting during fantasy playoffs.  What this will do is affect when your off-season starts and perhaps a final waiver wire before the off-season.

What I want to know is how is the league going to determine who plays who in the 17th week?
I suppose they could add one out-of-conference opponent.  I'm wondering how they decide who's the home team.  Maybe they rotate that each year.

I’d welcome any comments from the Shark Pool on how you are planning on adapting your fantasy football schedules to a 17-game season?
Most of my leagues are a 14 teams with a 13 game schedule where everyone plays everyone else one time.

What I would want to see is a 14th game added to our regular season schedule and that 14th week is a flex week where the 1st place team plays the 2nd place team, 3rd plays 4th etc. all the way to 13th plays 14th.  Should make for some exciting matchups in week 14 as teams jostle for playoff positions.

Most of my leagues are a 14 teams with a 13 game schedule where everyone plays everyone else one time.

What I would want to see is a 14th game added to our regular season schedule and that 14th week is a flex week where the 1st place team plays the 2nd place team, 3rd plays 4th etc. all the way to 13th plays 14th.  Should make for some exciting matchups in week 14 as teams jostle for playoff positions.
i think that i might like to see a longer FF playoff to reduce some of the variance (well personally, I'd rather do away with the playoffs more or less, but I doubt that will happen).

I started fantasy football in 1990.  I always used all 17 weeks (14 week regular season and 3 playoff weeks championship week 17) until 2009.  Up until then teams rarely rested their players an entire game even stars like Priest Holmes played half a game.  Starting in 2010 I went to a 13 week regular season, 3 playoffs so for my local leagues I will just move it back to what I had 2009 and before back to 14 weeks regular season (which is great for 12 team leagues now every one plays everyone every year again) week 17 back to championship game and week 18 off.

Now what will FFPC, RTS, NFFC, DFWC do ?  That is of more importance since those are the big money leagues.

RTS already uses 12 week regular season they duel week 14 as a league championship game and 1st round of the big money playoffs they could just split that make 15-17 the big money playoffs.

FFPC uses an 11 week regular season but we always get week 12 playoff players on bye which wrecks these leagues so hopefully they will add another week regular season so we no longer have that week 15-17 will be overall playoffs

NFFC adding another regular season week ect

DFWC same

It would suck to take away week 17 and 18 away from us fantasy playoffs so the major sites don't want change.

I imagine NFL teams won't rest players both weeks though now 7 playoff teams and #2 seed not getting a bye not sure how that affects teams again would think they would not want to rest 2 weeks.

No one has to worry about this for this year though can't happen until 2021.

Awesome.   I like it
Me too. I like the 7-team-per-conference playoffs. Small  tweak gains us another 2 wild card weekend playoff games. 
agreed that it’ll be interesting to see how the 17 week season is scheduled by the NFL. Another "rivalry week" game (non-conference, of course). And I assume they’d alternate home games each year (year 1 = Raiders @ home. Year 2 = Raiders on road). 

as for fantasy, I think I’ll just extend regular season by 1 week which will have championship weekend delayed a week as well. 

more = better!

I like giving the bye to only the regular season conference champs. Better to have the cutoff between 1&2 than 2&3.  Also gives us a 6 game weekend patterned after Thanksgiving Day.

I suppose this also means that in 5 years time, we're going to be expanding the NFL from 32 teams to 34 teams as well, right?  I take back everything I said negatively about the city of St. Louis.  I'd welcome an expansion team to the market of the Gateway Arch.  And while we're at it, let's add an NFL expansion team to a market that has never had an NFL franchise: Birmingham.  Can anyone else think of other markets that the NFL will expand to in the next 5 to 10 years?  I can add a couple more, like Memphis and Orlando.  What about Louisville and Portland?  Or even Albuquerque and Oklahoma City?  What I'm saying is if the NFL is going to go through with the 17-game schedule, they'd better be prepared to add more teams to the league!

I suppose this also means that in 5 years time, we're going to be expanding the NFL from 32 teams to 34 teams as well, right?  I take back everything I said negatively about the city of St. Louis.  I'd welcome an expansion team to the market of the Gateway Arch.  And while we're at it, let's add an NFL expansion team to a market that has never had an NFL franchise: Birmingham.  Can anyone else think of other markets that the NFL will expand to in the next 5 to 10 years?  I can add a couple more, like Memphis and Orlando.  What about Louisville and Portland?  Or even Albuquerque and Oklahoma City?  What I'm saying is if the NFL is going to go through with the 17-game schedule, they'd better be prepared to add more teams to the league!
re: expansion cities...St Louis is a slam dunk imo. I know it would be a 4th a Texas team but San Antonio has wanted a team for ages and their short-lived AAF team had great attendance numbers iirc. 

I suppose they could add one out-of-conference opponent.  I'm wondering how they decide who's the home team.  Maybe they rotate that each year.
I read that one of the things that they are considering is to do it by conference. AFC has the extra home game one year and NFC has it the next year. Makes sense to me.

In a perfect world there would be no preseason games and a 20 game schedule.  Training camp in July and start games first week of August.  Player get a 20% salary increase across the board.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the NFL is planning on expanding the regular season to 17 games pending a new media deal.

The expansion of the regular season has been on the agenda for the NFL for years and it looks to be finally coming to fruition, even if this deal isn't made official for a few more months. Pelissero's source said, "We're all anticipating it's going to happen," in regards to the new media agreement and an extra game. Pelissero added that there will still be one bye week and the Super Bowl will be pushed back a week to accommodate. This likely means there will be 14 games of the fantasy football regular season instead of 13. Commissioners could also choose to keep the same length of regular season and expand the playoffs.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Dec 27, 2020, 8:46 AM ET

Like I said in another topic, it's only a matter of time before the NFL expands to 34 teams, maybe 36.  I know people in St. Louis want an expansion team.  Portland, San Diego, San Antonio?  The NFL might as well expand to those markets as well.

MMQB: Inside the 49ers' Bold Decision to Move Up in the Draft

Excerpt:

The NFL’s meeting this week won’t include rules changes, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be affected by its events. In fact, in the 25-page agenda prepping owners and team presidents/executives for it, there are a lot of interesting nuggets on what they’re calling the “restructured” season. Here are some of the small details that flow into the bigger picture of going to 17 games, and what it means for football in America.

• The NFL calling it a restructured season rather than an expanded season is intentional, of course, and references the change from a 16 regular-season/four preseason game format to a 17 regular-season/three preseason game model. The league and union agreed on this in part based on injury data that broke down all football activities (regular season games, regular season practices, preseason games, training camp practices, joint practices, etc.) and found that the highest injury rate was actually in preseason games. So, as they saw it, the healthy-and-safety difference from one model to the other was seen as a push.

• As part of this restructure, the NFL calendar will simply expand a week. Camp will open around the same time it normally does, the Hall of Fame game will still be five weeks from the Thursday night opener, and the first full slate of preseason games will be four weeks out from Week 1. The difference? A two-week gap between the final preseason weekend, and Week 1. So there will be no games leading into Labor Day weekend. 

• Because of the new TV deals, the NFL will need to have games in an early kickoff window (9:30 a.m. ET), and is planning to have three of those annually to satisfy the agreements in those contracts (which kick in two years from now). Obviously, those games would likely be held in, let’s say, different time zones than they normally would. We’ll get to that in a second.

• Another piece of the new TV deals included enhanced flex scheduling, and that’s being voted on too. If passed, the league (and networks) will be able to move games between the early and late afternoon windows freely “with proper notice”; flex games to Sunday Night Football with 12 days’ notice in Weeks 5–14, and six days’ notice Weeks 15–17; and flex games to Monday Night Football in Weeks 12–17 with 12 days’ notice.

• The league is also putting in some limits on TV. Teams can’t appear in prime time more than seven times in a season (including flexed game) and can be scheduled ahead of time for a max of three SNF appearances and three MNF appearances. Also, the league is now going to be allowed to schedule two teams per year to have two games with fewer than five days to prepare (which is to accommodate TNF and, perhaps, Amazon’s Black Friday game).

• The NFL will also formally vote through the scheduling formula for the 17thgame—which will match divisions and pit teams that finished in corresponding spots for each team’s fifth inter-conference game. (For 2021 the divisional matchups would be: AFC East v. NFC East, AFC North vs. NFC West, AFC South vs. NFC South, AFC West vs. NFC North). The home team will rotate by conference each year.

In the end, all of this stuff is wrapped into two voting matters. Resolution JC-1 covers going to 17 games. Resolution M-1 encompasses the 11-year, $113 billion media deals the NFL struck with the networks. And on JC-1, the resolution “reason and effect” reads: “To confirm a change in the scheduling format to one consisting of three preseason and 17 regular season games per club, the manner for scheduling games within that format, and to establish the League’s authority to schedule regular season games in countries outside of the United States once a 17-game regular season schedule is implemented.” That brings use to our next takeaway….

The NFL’s international aspirations are growing again, after COVID-19 put them on hold for a year. And if you go through the aforementioned 25-page memo, that much is made clear over and over again. Tucked into the two voting proposals are pretty serious changes to how the NFL is going to conduct its international series. Here’s a snapshot of that:

• NFL teams will be required to “host” at least one International Series Game over an eight-year period, which gives the league a baseline inventory of four games each season to move outside the States.

• And here’s a really interesting twist within that: If the NFL only has that baseline of four to work with (the requirement of teams to play one international home game over an eight-year span doesn’t start until 2022) in a given year, the breakdown of “target markets” in the memo included a newcomer. It called for a goal of two games at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, one at Estadia Azteca in Mexico City and one in Germany, either in Munich or Berlin.

• With the new requirement, the NFL will drop for future Super Bowl bidding its mandate that teams with winning bids to host Super Bowls must “give” the league a home game for the International Series.

• Also, as part of the resolution, the NFL retains the right to schedule games in Canada, Mexico, the U.K., Europe and South America. I’m the told the reason for the inclusion of South America on that list was that the league specifically has its eyes on Brazil. The reason for the exclusion of Asia and Australia? Because of the logistical issues related to time zones, going to those places would have to be part of a bigger discussion.

• When International Series games are scheduled, teams can protect divisional games, and one non-divisional game from being moved.

• The “home” teams for the four international games will come from the conference that is getting the ninth home game.

• Volunteers to play internationally could lead to their being more than four international games in a given year. Which could lead to the NFL getting to or even past the number (four) they have in London in recent years.

So if there’s one takeaway from all that, I’d say the inclusion of Germany and Brazil marks a subtle shift in the league’s strategy, from focusing on one or two markets (London, Mexico City) to trying build replicate its successes in those places elsewhere.

Like I said in another topic, it's only a matter of time before the NFL expands to 34 teams, maybe 36.  I know people in St. Louis want an expansion team.  Portland, San Diego, San Antonio?  The NFL might as well expand to those markets as well.
It would be interesting if each conference went to three different divisions(East, Central, West) and 6 teams per division. That would solve some of the consternation every few years when a team in a bad division stumbles into the playoffs even if they don't finish above .500(although it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother other people). In a 6 team division it seems much less likely a team with a losing record makes the playoffs.

I think the league would love to get a team in Canada (Vancouver/Toronto) and/or Mexico City to finally go international. San Antonio, San Diego, Oklahoma City seem like slam dunk choices to me. Not as sure about Portland. IMO either Salt Lake City or Boise makes more sense unless you have a Bezos situation where someone is willing to come and pay for everything... Portland fans just don't care enough to contribute much to building a stadium and SEA is just so much closer than ANY nfl team is to either SLC or Boise. STL deserves a team but the NFL may have soured that fan base for ~50 years after they built the stadium and the team came and went. If JAX finally does sneak to London in the middle of the night I can see Orlando getting a team.

Given the amount of money they get from the new TV contracts it seems to me a team almost anywhere should be profitable. The league might be looking at viewing/streaming markets or regions more than what city works best. The tickets and $13 beers are just gravy at this point for the owners. Under the OLD broadcast deals I think tickets were only ~15% of revenues.

NBC Sports' Peter King reports "most observers" believe the NFL will eventually move to an 18-game season. 

King said expanding the season even further -- 2021 will be the first 17-game season in league history -- will be a pressing issue for whoever follows Roger Goodell as the next NFL commissioner. King expected Goodell to leave his post by the 2024 or 2025 season, which would make his commissioner tenure nearly 20 years. Tacking on more games to the NFL schedule, King said, would be a tough sell to players. "How can a league that professes to care about the long-term health of its players subject them to 17 games (in 2021) and maybe 18 (by 2025 or ’26) without imaginatively pursuing ways to assure players they’re not going to be guinea pigs for the NFL’s almighty dollar?" King said. "The owners have dollar signs dancing in their heads over more inventory; the players should have a roadblock dancing in theirs."

SOURCE: FMIA 

May 31, 2021, 11:52 AM ET

What is the consensus for a 12 team league for scheduling this year?  Historically, we've run playoffs week 14,15,16.  Are leagues now going to run playoffs in weeks 15,16, 17? 

I think that is the way to go given that in week 14, there will be teams on byes. 

Thanks for feedback....

MFL has an option for 12 double header weeks and 2 single game weeks. basically playing everyone twice in a 14 week schedule. 

What is the consensus for a 12 team league for scheduling this year?  Historically, we've run playoffs week 14,15,16.  Are leagues now going to run playoffs in weeks 15,16, 17? 

I think that is the way to go given that in week 14, there will be teams on byes. 

Thanks for feedback....
We're going 15-17 for playoffs.

The week 14 byes kinda suck if you're fighting for a playoff spot though. I know every player will have one bye week where you have to work around him in your lineup, and a loss is a loss no matter what week of the regular season, but there's no time to recover if you lose week 14.

Users who are viewing this thread