What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL owners & NFLPA approve a 17-game season: details & fantasy football discussion thread. (2 Viewers)

We're going 15-17 for playoffs.

The week 14 byes kinda suck if you're fighting for a playoff spot though. I know every player will have one bye week where you have to work around him in your lineup, and a loss is a loss no matter what week of the regular season, but there's no time to recover if you lose week 14.
Haven't there historically been Week 13 byes under the old schedule? I think Tampa had one last year (ETA: They did, along with Carolina). Don't see how this is any different, though I will certainly grant that it's annoying.

Haven't there historically been Week 13 byes under the old schedule? I think Tampa had one last year (ETA: They did, along with Carolina). Don't see how this is any different, though I will certainly grant that it's annoying.
I thought in MOST previous years they were done by week 12, but yeah last year had week 13 byes.

Also TIL that 1993 had TWO byes per team and an 18-week season.  And from 1999-2001 there were 31 teams so at least one team had a bye every week, which would REALLY have sucked for FF playoffs. (I got in my first league in '99 but don't remember much about it.)

I thought in MOST previous years they were done by week 12, but yeah last year had week 13 byes.

Also TIL that 1993 had TWO byes per team and an 18-week season. And from 1999-2001 there were 31 teams so at least one team had a bye every week, which would REALLY have sucked for FF playoffs. (I got in my first league in '99 but don't remember much about it.)
I definitely remember the double byes, but I have zero memory of the 31-teams era. I didn't start playing fantasy until 2004, but I was still a huge football fan during that time. Maybe it was so traumatic that I blocked it out? 

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but it just occurred to me that some teams will have 9 home games and some teams will only have 8 (and 9 away games).  I haven't read the whole thread, but I haven't seen or heard this mentioned anywhere in all the discussion of the 17-game season.  How is it decided who has the extra home game?

I imagine we can all agree that 17 games is stupid on many levels, but this aspect in particular seems to be a BIG no-no in regards to competitive balance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing they alternate each year on the 9th home game, but yeah that is a slight imbalance that doesn’t get much attention. Although home field advantage has decreased some over the years to maybe 2 points generically. 

The 17th game is cross conference and the home team will annually alternate between conferences. I believe the AFC is home this year -- so each AFC has 9 home games, NFC 8. So it is balanced within conferences. Which is really all that matters. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread