What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 1 DST Streaming (1 Viewer)

shoecrew22

Footballguy
Ten. with a matchup against Miami

Chicago owned in less than 50% in yahoo. Roquan smith, Khalil Mack, but bad matchups

Detroit seems to have a juicy matchup against the JETS

Like these weekly DTBC threads, though Plan A for 2018 is to roll with Broncos (vs SEA WK 1.)

I don't think the Saints are a DTBC candidate as they are owned in 86% of leagues, but it's a great matchup. Thought it was weird their owner in our league had them backing up the Rams but then I remembered he was in the emergency room with his kid (stitches, nothing serious) & autodrafted.  :P

In a league of active ownership, I'm surprised no one has scooped up the Bears yet. Tempted to drop Ebron for them but my DT doesn't have a bye until WK 10. Weeks 6-9 CHI plays three AFC East teams that are expected to be woeful offensively this season, but in the first week of September we don't really know if that is true yet.

I do not think Detroit is going to faze Darnold. Nothing fazed him all preseason. His one pick in two full games of football? On fourth down, and he had to force it. Then again, when you don't throw the ball over ten yards downfield -- ever -- it's awfully tough to look anything but poised.  

And the Jets O-line stinks like two-day old fish, so there are sacks to be had. But I don't think it'll be one of those twenty-five point days you get when you get one of those juicy wire matchups because the Jets run, run, run, and Darnold isn't your typical rookie.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think Detroit is going to faze Darnold. Nothing fazed him all preseason. His one pick in two full games of football? On fourth down, and he had to force it. Then again, when you don't throw the ball over ten yards downfield -- ever -- it's awfully tough to look anything but poised.  

And the Jets O-line stinks like two-day old fish, so there are sacks to be had. But I don't think it'll be one of those twenty-five point days you get when you get one of those juicy wire matchups because the Jets run, run, run, and Darnold isn't your typical rookie.  
Pre-season is meaningless. Browns went 4-0 last pre-season...

Pre-season is meaningless. Browns went 4-0 last pre-season...
Yeah, I know, but you get a feeling and an ability to scout when you throw a rookie in against the ones, the ones and their coaches instantly dial up pressure, and the rookie deals with it just fine. 

It's just...different. 

Look, Teddy won that job, but the only thing scared about Darnold was his Y/A.  And the Jets run -- a ton. 

And frankly, Detroit didn't just get beat in preseason; they were getting wiped. Again, grains of salt to be taken because of preseason, but it was bad. 

That said, you could do much worse than Detroit's D/ST at home on national TV on Monday night against the rookie QB of a likely 6-10 team. 

If Detroit fast breaks their way out and down the field, Darnold will have to keep up with them, and that could get ugly. 

That said, you could do much worse than Detroit's D/ST at home on national TV on Monday night against the rookie QB of a likely 6-10 team. 

If Detroit fast breaks their way out and down the field, Darnold will have to keep up with them, and that could get ugly. 
The Lions should be the favorite in this game, but I wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if they lost this game. Especially after what I have seen and read about them this off season and into the preseason.  

Week 1 - BAL

Week 2 - LAC

Week 3 - MIN

Week 4 - GB

Week 5 - TEN

Week 6 - HOU

Week 7 - IND

Week 8 - NE

Week 9 - CHI

Week 10 - NYJ

Week 11 - not sure yet

Week 12 - JAC

Week 13 - MIA

Week 14 - not sure yet

Week 15 - DET

Week 16 - not sure yet

Week 17 - not sure yet

That's Buffalo's schedule.

The Lions should be the favorite in this game, but I wouldn't be surprised even a little bit if they lost this game. Especially after what I have seen and read about them this off season and into the preseason.  
Yeah, Jets are bad, though. When I said Darnold hadn't completed one twelve yards downfield yet, I wasn't exaggerating. 

I haven't watched Darnold and don't claim to be an expert on him, but wasn't one of his biggest knocks coming out of college his propensity to throw INTs? Hard to imagine that improving in his rookie season.

I haven't watched Darnold and don't claim to be an expert on him, but wasn't one of his biggest knocks coming out of college his propensity to throw INTs? Hard to imagine that improving in his rookie season.
Yes, it was ball security. I thought it was more fumbles, though that pesky int. stat was certainly prominent. It gave teams pause. I think he led FCS in turnovers for QBs. But...

Like I said, though, he hasn't looked like a guy with ball security issues. One of the things blowing away scouts is his ability to get to all of his reads rather quickly and stay poised and out of trouble.  

What they're underwhelmed with are the routes the receivers are running and his seeming unwillingness in preseason to throw the ball medium depth. Lots of dinking and duking, IMO. There's two ways that goes. 

1. Defense gives cushion all night, causes massive punting by the Jets due to cushion and quick tackling
  2. Defense gets aggressive and starts jumping short routes. 
We'll see. I just don't think it's a real waiver wire slam dunk match-up like we normally see mid-year.  

Yes, it was ball security. I thought it was more fumbles, though that pesky int. stat was certainly prominent. It gave teams pause. I think he led FCS in turnovers for QBs. But...

Like I said, though, he hasn't looked like a guy with ball security issues. One of the things blowing away scouts is his ability to get to all of his reads rather quickly and stay poised and out of trouble.  

What they're underwhelmed with are the routes the receivers are running and his seeming unwillingness in preseason to throw the ball medium depth. Lots of dinking and duking, IMO. There's two ways that goes. 

1. Defense gives cushion all night, causes massive punting on end of the Jets
  2. Defense gets aggressive and starts jumping short routes. 
We'll see. I just don't think it's a real waiver wire slam dunk match-up like we normally see mid-year.  
Yeah, I agree with your ultimate point (though that may just be because I'm a fatalistic Lions fan and I will never feel comfortable streaming their D or taking them in a survivor pool). And I definitely think a Darnold break-out is within the realm of possibility this year -- I came very close to drafting him last night for exactly that reason.

That said, I also can't argue that streaming a D against a rookie in his first NFL start is a bad idea. As percentage plays go, it's good process.

Although it's been said, many times, many ways...

I drafted the Detroit D in three leagues last week for week 1.

That said, I also can't argue that streaming a D against a rookie in his first NFL start is a bad idea. As percentage plays go, it's good process.
I agree. In the other link, I come to the conclusion that it's a good play with upside if Darnold and the Jets get behind and start trying to keep up with Stafford and the Lions. 

Bad news for the Jets at that point. 

I drafted Carolina to roll with for most of the year, but picked up Detroit & will probably play them week 1

Lot of votes for Detroit in the three DST threads running right now in TSP.

You guys are  :loco:

Fortune favors the brave.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread