What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks.  Thought maybe I missed something more overt. 
His comment about "I don't even know if I will be back next year" kind of stuff was what is leading this I guess.

Now...I think they will try to redo his deal in a way...because this next year is really the only year left of guaranteed money.  While he is under contract longer...he knows after next year they can cut him easily for cap savings and without eating money.  I would guess he is leveraging to get a restructure and pull in some more guaranteed money.  And they can do it right and spread things out to even lessen his cap hit next year to try and resign someone like Jones or Linsley.

Pipes said:
I’m still mad so all I’m going to say is I don’t think I’ll ever forgive Gutey for drafting Love.  You don’t draft for the future when you’re in your championship window.  For the record I wanted Queen or some other D help.  Not sure if it would’ve made a difference but we’ll never know.  All I can say he couldn’t have hurt to have another 1st round talent on the field today.  Big off-season for Gutey and the Pack.
This is what happens in the NFL.  He got caught up in thinking "I am going to draft the next Pat Mahomes"  Well the Pat Mahomes are few and far between. I have no idea how Love will turn out but Rodgers still has a few years left and GB is still in the winning window,  Really don`t see how GB can move on from A-Rod after the season he had.  I know yesterday was not his best game but the OL did not play well either..he was under pressure all day.

I still remember when Jerry Jones was infatuated with Mike Vick and he drafted Quincy Carter as his Vick. We know how that turned out.

Another note not going for the TD was a very questionable decision.  They get the TD and 2 pt it is tied, they get the TD and miss the 2 pt a FG will still win. They fail to get the tD they have TB pinned on the 7 yards line and in basically the same situation of having to get a stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great season.  I dont want to jump in to early and discuss fantasy impact after such a tough loss but its a fantasy site so interested in home town thoughts....

It could be argued that drafting Love lit a fire under Rodgers and perhaps thats why he had such an amazing season.....it could also be argued it was a wasted pick and drafting a different position could have helped them get to the Super Bowl.  

Ever since rookie contracts were instituted in 2011 I do not recall a 1st rd QB sitting for 2 entire seasons as the cost control is the best part of having a 1st rd QB....but I cant see them dealing Rodgers so Love will likely sit at least 2 yrs which gives them 2 yrs to see if he is worth the 5th yr extension...not a great situation....only way it pays off is if he is really good and fast....going to be a huge offseason and preseason for Love to show he's worthy of the discussion for 2022.  

Any thoughts? Ive heard nothing about Love at all which seems strange....

sho nuff said:
Wagner was bad...so was Turner yesterday...actually, will get to that in a sec, the whole Oline was awful in the first half.
Turner was really bad too. The reason I mention cutting Wagner is that his cap hit would only be around 1.5 mil if cut so would be a nice savings as well. Not sure of impact of cutting Turner as well.

it’s so crazy that this line goes from strength to big weakness with question marks in 2021. Bakhtari injury was absolutely devastating. And can he come back in time? At the same level? Linsley is a free agent and will get paid. If he leaves that leaves 4 question marks outside of Jenkins who is a stud. bakhtari when healthy solves one question. But what happens at RT? No one on this roster can play the position competently. And if Linsley leaves that’s a huge void. 

They need to prioritize Linsley right now if they believe they have one or two more runs at a championship.

Great season.  I dont want to jump in to early and discuss fantasy impact after such a tough loss but its a fantasy site so interested in home town thoughts....

It could be argued that drafting Love lit a fire under Rodgers and perhaps thats why he had such an amazing season.....it could also be argued it was a wasted pick and drafting a different position could have helped them get to the Super Bowl.  

Ever since rookie contracts were instituted in 2011 I do not recall a 1st rd QB sitting for 2 entire seasons as the cost control is the best part of having a 1st rd QB....but I cant see them dealing Rodgers so Love will likely sit at least 2 yrs which gives them 2 yrs to see if he is worth the 5th yr extension...not a great situation....only way it pays off is if he is really good and fast....going to be a huge offseason and preseason for Love to show he's worthy of the discussion for 2022.  

The few reports indicated Love couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at practice and was severely outplayed by Tim Boyle. Obviously preseason will be huge for him to show if he has progressed at all.

just a horrible pick for this team due to the fact the window is still open - just needed a few pieces. Instead they drafted a project qb in the first (traded up too) and drafted a 3rd string back in the second. Completely ignored defense and wide receiver.

I also think after Pettine is fired they should look to transition to the 4-3 on defense.

Preston Smith will be a cap casualty but I think Gary does the same thing at a reduced cost.

Turner was really bad too. The reason I mention cutting Wagner is that his cap hit would only be around 1.5 mil if cut so would be a nice savings as well. Not sure of impact of cutting Turner as well.

it’s so crazy that this line goes from strength to big weakness with question marks in 2021. Bakhtari injury was absolutely devastating. And can he come back in time? At the same level? Linsley is a free agent and will get paid. If he leaves that leaves 4 question marks outside of Jenkins who is a stud. bakhtari when healthy solves one question. But what happens at RT? No one on this roster can play the position competently. And if Linsley leaves that’s a huge void. 

They need to prioritize Linsley right now if they believe they have one or two more runs at a championship.
Turner was fine at RT it seems...but yeah, I agree with the rest of this.

I also think after Pettine is fired they should look to transition to the 4-3 on defense.

Preston Smith will be a cap casualty but I think Gary does the same thing at a reduced cost.
I don't think they transition really (obviously will depend on who the DC would be).

Where I disagree with this...Gary came on and IMO does more than Smith.  He is better pass rusher at this point and holds the edge better in run defense.

This that's why drafting Rodgers replacement was at least a year, i think 2, too early.  Oh well onto 2021.

The few reports indicated Love couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at practice and was severely outplayed by Tim Boyle. Obviously preseason will be huge for him to show if he has progressed at all.

just a horrible pick for this team due to the fact the window is still open - just needed a few pieces. Instead they drafted a project qb in the first (traded up too) and drafted a 3rd string back in the second. Completely ignored defense and wide receiver.
wow - if thats the case it really is an awful pick....sounds like the GM got cute and tried to reinvent the handoff from Favre to Arod....problem is that was before the rookie contract scale....complete waste unless they were going to move on from ARod like the Chiefs did with A Smith....except Arod is way better as we saw....the Dillion pick is pretty bad as well....new regime looked more to the future than present and it bit them bad...thats 2 potential upgrade starters they missed out on. 

This loss was for me very similar to the gut-punch loss to the Seahawks in the 2015 NFC Championship game. Many will point to one play or one player, but the fact is losing this game required a perfect storm of several events coming together.  Imagine going into the 4th qtr knowing we get two interceptions and hold the Bucs to 3 points.  That seems like a certain win. Individual and coaching failures, some bad luck, dumb mistakes, and the opposition capitalizing.

I think if you want to criticize Gutekunst, the main focus should be on signing Bahktiari to a record contract.  Rookies are almost never going to impact a team enough to win a Superbowl, but committing that $$ to the OL rather than going after a half-season FA rental might have helped.  Obviously, he would have to have found the right player (not Will Fuller), and I have no idea who that could have been.

Otherwise, great season, as we've come to expect.  I'm already looking forward to next year.  Rodgers clearly still has at least 1-2 high level seasons left.  The only major change I would want to see is a good special teams program.  That part of the game has failed us for at least a decade or so it seems, and did so again yesterday.  I'm sure they can add a player here or there who will help, but the team personnel, coaching and management is all on the level needed to win a superbowl.

This loss was for me very similar to the gut-punch loss to the Seahawks in the 2015 NFC Championship game. Many will point to one play or one player, but the fact is losing this game required a perfect storm of several events coming together.  Imagine going into the 4th qtr knowing we get two interceptions and hold the Bucs to 3 points.  That seems like a certain win. Individual and coaching failures, some bad luck, dumb mistakes, and the opposition capitalizing.

I think if you want to criticize Gutekunst, the main focus should be on signing Bahktiari to a record contract.  Rookies are almost never going to impact a team enough to win a Superbowl, but committing that $$ to the OL rather than going after a half-season FA rental might have helped.  Obviously, he would have to have found the right player (not Will Fuller), and I have no idea who that could have been.

Otherwise, great season, as we've come to expect.  I'm already looking forward to next year.  Rodgers clearly still has at least 1-2 high level seasons left.  The only major change I would want to see is a good special teams program.  That part of the game has failed us for at least a decade or so it seems, and did so again yesterday.  I'm sure they can add a player here or there who will help, but the team personnel, coaching and management is all on the level needed to win a superbowl.
I highly disagree on criticizing Gute for the resigning of Bahktiari...I think that game showed why you pay a guy like him.  He was very much missed.

Does it trouble Packer fans for Rodgers to say that it was not my call on the FG and then question his future, when his contract definitely ties him to GB at least another year?

Due to the first round QB Love pick, y’all just spent an entire off-season in question the management mode and now Rodgers throws it up again all over first chance he gets.

just seemed like time to say tough loss, I love this team, etc and move on to the off-season.

I highly disagree on criticizing Gute for the resigning of Bahktiari...I think that game showed why you pay a guy like him.  He was very much missed.
Agreed - exactly my point.  It's the Ted Thompson way - build through the draft; draft BPA, re-sign your own guys.  This year, the Glazer system prevailed, but overall Ted's approach has been more successful.

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

The #Packers are parting ways with special teams coordinator Shawn Mennenga, per source.

I can live with Pettine, but this guy had to go.  Special teams have been a consistent failure for this team the past 10 years and factored directly in 2 close NFCCC games, this year and 2015. For whatever reason, the Thompson / Gutekunst system fails to develop squad guys who can play ST, which is odd because Ted forged a 10 year career as a non-starter who made a living on special teams.  The is the most important hire of the off-season IMO. 

I can live with Pettine, but this guy had to go.  Special teams have been a consistent failure for this team the past 10 years and factored directly in 2 close NFCCC games, this year and 2015. For whatever reason, the Thompson / Gutekunst system fails to develop squad guys who can play ST, which is odd because Ted forged a 10 year career as a non-starter who made a living on special teams.  The is the most important hire of the off-season IMO. 
It sounds like they may just promote from within. I hope not.

Pettine's contract actually ran out at the end of the season. He did not want to sign an extension last year. Should be interesting to see what happens with him. Should know by the end of the week I would think.

Yeah...Pettine is frustrating...but he has produced everywhere he has been...and while its not always pretty, its effective. And...IMO...players have improved under him (not all of course).Though, he also was dumb in not signing an extension last year...probably banked on them improving big time this year hoping it would land him a job elsewhere or even head coaching considerations again.

ST has been awful for years...does not seem to matter the coordinator. And that is with having a rock solid quality kicker.  Punting has sucked, returns have sucked, coverages have sucked.

And Im so over all the Rodgers talk everywhere.

FFS the amount of overreaction to what he said.

I get it...people are going to draw the parallel with Favre...but man its getting old with people trying to speculate he will force a trade (and ignoring his actual contract in doing that).

The Athletic is reporting the Packers will not bring Pettine back.  I though finishing 9th in total defense would be good enough to get him another chance, but certainly won't miss him. My hope is that this is less about his performance and more about whomever they have in mind. In other words, this is more about opportunity to get the guy Gutekunst and LaFleur want.

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1355283138734219264

I wouldn't have flipped out if they kept Pettine but am slightly relieved they are moving on.

There are some assistants I would like to keep like Jerry Gray (likely DC candidate) and Mike Smith but maybe the whole staff gets wiped, who knows.

How do we feel about Joe Barry?  I don’t know him at all, but seems to be what I was hoping for - not really a retread, but been around long enough to handle this position. 

How do we feel about Joe Barry?  I don’t know him at all, but seems to be what I was hoping for - not really a retread, but been around long enough to handle this position. 
Agree. Of course there will be criticism as his previous stints as DC have not gone well.  But then look further, those teams sucked  before he was there and after.  So seems more of organizational vs just him.  He has been on some successful staffs.

Nothing super flashy...peers talk well of him.  Im satisfied.

And while Id like to see what Leonhard can do in the NFL or as a head coach...happy for Wisconsin to keep him.

and probably smart of him to stay in a situation with more stability as I don’t see them parting ways with him any time soon at UW.  Sets himself up to be a strong consideration to follow Christ as head coach.

Anyone else find it frustrating to watch TB destroy the Chiefs?  Knowing how close the Packers were...that if they play a little bit better its them with that chance to take on the chiefs.   Not that our D could have done that to Mahommes...but surely they could have put some pressure on him.

Wondering how long this engagement has been building for Rodgers here...is that the reason for the whole zen/love talk all year?  If so..hope she can keep him happy like that (and darn sure hope she likes Green Bay).

Anyone else find it frustrating to watch TB destroy the Chiefs?  Knowing how close the Packers were...that if they play a little bit better its them with that chance to take on the chiefs.   Not that our D could have done that to Mahommes...but surely they could have put some pressure on him.

Wondering how long this engagement has been building for Rodgers here...is that the reason for the whole zen/love talk all year?  If so..hope she can keep him happy like that (and darn sure hope she likes Green Bay).
Yes

The engagement explains it all.  Rodgers’ play always drops when he’s distracted. 

Not sure I understand this offseason.  Or who is to blame right now.

But how on earth do they not get some sort of restructure with Rodgers done to be able to sign more people?

Is it Gute being stubborn about picking Love...even after seeing Rodgers light it up last year?

Is it Rodgers pissed off and quietly telling them to piss off?

I mean...seems an extension or moving some money would have benefitted both.  Give him some security and the ability to leave in a couple years...get help for the Oline or D or a WR.

Signing Jones...unexpected...but great.  Very versatile...for what Williams got plus someone like Lindsay...I actually thought something like that or a Jamal and James White plus Dillon pairing would have been more the style they went with.  But you get multiple guys in Aaron Jones.

But they need help right now at OL.  Center is a hole...LT is  hole until Bakhtiari can come back.  Not sure Id agree if they just move Jenkins from LG to C.  While he would be capable...that combo of him and Bakhtiari on the left for years would be so good.  Do they really trust one of the 2020 draftees to play C?

They have a hole at CB opposite Jaire.  MLB is maybe ok after last year's draft...but still unspectacular.  And the Dline needs more guys.

It does continue to bring into question why on earth draft Jordan Love and give up capital to move up to do so.  I am on board with not waiting until you need a QB to try and find one (like say...the Bears)...but was last year really that time?  I don't think it was.  And to not figure out how to move money around and try and even keep Rodgers a little longer right now seems hard to excuse.

With the low market at WR...even a little money could go a long way with some of these guys...you would think a WR would be happy to catch passes from Rodgers and be across from Davante taking up the big coverages.  Even a short term deal to then cash in when the cap rises.

Not sure I understand this offseason.  Or who is to blame right now.

But how on earth do they not get some sort of restructure with Rodgers done to be able to sign more people?

Is it Gute being stubborn about picking Love...even after seeing Rodgers light it up last year?

Is it Rodgers pissed off and quietly telling them to piss off?

I mean...seems an extension or moving some money would have benefitted both.  Give him some security and the ability to leave in a couple years...get help for the Oline or D or a WR.

Signing Jones...unexpected...but great.  Very versatile...for what Williams got plus someone like Lindsay...I actually thought something like that or a Jamal and James White plus Dillon pairing would have been more the style they went with.  But you get multiple guys in Aaron Jones.

But they need help right now at OL.  Center is a hole...LT is  hole until Bakhtiari can come back.  Not sure Id agree if they just move Jenkins from LG to C.  While he would be capable...that combo of him and Bakhtiari on the left for years would be so good.  Do they really trust one of the 2020 draftees to play C?

They have a hole at CB opposite Jaire.  MLB is maybe ok after last year's draft...but still unspectacular.  And the Dline needs more guys.

It does continue to bring into question why on earth draft Jordan Love and give up capital to move up to do so.  I am on board with not waiting until you need a QB to try and find one (like say...the Bears)...but was last year really that time?  I don't think it was.  And to not figure out how to move money around and try and even keep Rodgers a little longer right now seems hard to excuse.

With the low market at WR...even a little money could go a long way with some of these guys...you would think a WR would be happy to catch passes from Rodgers and be across from Davante taking up the big coverages.  Even a short term deal to then cash in when the cap rises.
So let me get this straight. You're surprised the Packers haven't been active in the early parts of FA? i know, it's a real shocker.

My guess is there is some sort of agreement already in place with Rodgers in that if they need to free up some money this is what we'll do. I still expect the Packers to sign some depth guys at bargain rates.

KingPrawn said:
So let me get this straight. You're surprised the Packers haven't been active in the early parts of FA? i know, it's a real shocker.

My guess is there is some sort of agreement already in place with Rodgers in that if they need to free up some money this is what we'll do. I still expect the Packers to sign some depth guys at bargain rates.
No.  Im surprised they made zero move on Rodgers.  He was due a bonus the other day I believe.  A deal after that would make far less sense.

KingPrawn said:

No.  Im surprised they made zero move on Rodgers.  He was due a bonus the other day I believe.  A deal after that would make far less sense.
They're in a real tricky situation with Rodgers.  He makes about $38m this season, $40m next season, then about $28m in the last year of his current deal, when he will be 40 years old.  The dead cap number goes way down between the 2nd and 3rd/final year, so the team has a real easy out after that season if they want to move on.  If they extend, obviously that option is off the table and they will have made a major commitment to him.  That would also send a big message to Jordan Love, for whatever that matters.  To do nothing pretty much tells Rodgers they are preparing to move on in 2023-24 (which doesn't seem crazy to me, but probably won't sit well with him.)  The middle ground is obviously to restructure some of his base salary to signing bonus.  Depending on how much they restructure, that puts a crunch on the cap for that third / final year of his deal and could be the worst of both worlds - it keeps him tied to the club for 3 more full seasons, but also probably pisses him off because none of it is guaranteed, he's not extended beyond 40 years old, and he's probably not in the top 5 quarterbacks anymore dollar wise.

In any event, I'm not worried about the timing.  The draft is a long way off, and there's really no urgency now. His roster bonus came due last Friday, and it appears they must have paid it - or I guess maybe we'll find out tomorrow or Tuesday they converted some of it.  For me, it seems the FO is doing a great job so far doing what they always do - keeping our guys and waiting to pick off a value FA or two later in the Spring after the first wave.

They're in a real tricky situation with Rodgers.  He makes about $38m this season, $40m next season, then about $28m in the last year of his current deal, when he will be 40 years old.  The dead cap number goes way down between the 2nd and 3rd/final year, so the team has a real easy out after that season if they want to move on.  If they extend, obviously that option is off the table and they will have made a major commitment to him.  That would also send a big message to Jordan Love, for whatever that matters.  To do nothing pretty much tells Rodgers they are preparing to move on in 2023-24 (which doesn't seem crazy to me, but probably won't sit well with him.)  The middle ground is obviously to restructure some of his base salary to signing bonus.  Depending on how much they restructure, that puts a crunch on the cap for that third / final year of his deal and could be the worst of both worlds - it keeps him tied to the club for 3 more full seasons, but also probably pisses him off because none of it is guaranteed, he's not extended beyond 40 years old, and he's probably not in the top 5 quarterbacks anymore dollar wise.

In any event, I'm not worried about the timing.  The draft is a long way off, and there's really no urgency now. His roster bonus came due last Friday, and it appears they must have paid it - or I guess maybe we'll find out tomorrow or Tuesday they converted some of it.  For me, it seems the FO is doing a great job so far doing what they always do - keeping our guys and waiting to pick off a value FA or two later in the Spring after the first wave.
Here's a list of players the Saints have lost so far this off-season due to major salary cap problems:

Drew Brees (retired)

Trey Hendrickson

Sheldon Rankins

Emmanuel Sanders

Janoris Jenkins

Jared Cook

Kwon Alexander

Thomas Morstead

Justin Hardee

Malcom Brown

Josh Hill

Nick Easton

The bill always comes due eventually. The Packers seem to do a pretty decent job minimizing the damage from year to year. This off-season may be the toughest yet. Not sure if they'll lose anyone they really want to keep but we'll see where they end up.

Dudes...we have 10 picks this year.  Yes, we made a mistake with Love, but can you really blame the front office?  Rodgers was MVP in 2020, but was looking like he was regressing a little in 2018/2019.  The Packers made a very poor judgement call because having Chase Claypool or Patrick Queen would be pretty sweet right now, but lets focus on the positive here.  Number one, we have ten picks and are going to find at least three new starters.  Number two, we still can sign a few people on super low cost one year deals.  Number three, we are the Packers.  Throughout history, we have always come out on top.  Many of the greatest stars in the history of the NFL have played for our team!!!

12 - 4 next year and super bow champs!!  

Wont pass judgment until free agency wave ends.

Disappointed the Packers haven’t made more of an effort to address offensive and defensive lines. Specifically I think Tyson Alualu, JJ Watt, and Davlin Tomlinson were all players that would make the defense significantly better. No indication packers engaged in talks with any of them.

interested to see how O Line works itself out. Was hoping they would bring back Lane Taylor on a one year deal - but I see he is visiting San Fran right now. 

IMO...to do nothing sends the message they are moving on after this season.

The urgency was prior to last week I believe because of how a bonus he had worked (culling this from multiple reports on ESPN Wisconsin radio).

I think the FO has done ok...but after what was an exciting offseason of 19 that set them up well...last year and thus far this year have been disappointments IMO.  And any uneasy feeling fans or even some players may have was self inflicted by the GM (it isn't just Love...its the strong reports that they were ready to take Lock as the year before).

Balco said:
Wont pass judgment until free agency wave ends.

Disappointed the Packers haven’t made more of an effort to address offensive and defensive lines. Specifically I think Tyson Alualu, JJ Watt, and Davlin Tomlinson were all players that would make the defense significantly better. No indication packers engaged in talks with any of them.

interested to see how O Line works itself out. Was hoping they would bring back Lane Taylor on a one year deal - but I see he is visiting San Fran right now. 

Yeah...also interesting with Taylor.  Should be decently cheap depth.  Are they just over the injuries with him?

IMO...to do nothing sends the message they are moving on after this season.

The urgency was prior to last week I believe because of how a bonus he had worked (culling this from multiple reports on ESPN Wisconsin radio).

I think the FO has done ok...but after what was an exciting offseason of 19 that set them up well...last year and thus far this year have been disappointments IMO.  And any uneasy feeling fans or even some players may have was self inflicted by the GM (it isn't just Love...its the strong reports that they were ready to take Lock as the year before).
His roster bonus was due last Friday. I think it was false urgency manufactured by the media.  They presumably paid it, rather than converting it to signing bonus. It really doesn’t matter though because they can still convert some or all of his salary to get cap relief if needed. 

it’s still March, we have a great team that has played in the nfccg 2 straight years. For me, this is a time to chill and be happy to be a packer fan as other teams are cutting their mistakes from years past and rushing in to make new mistakes they’ll pay for next spring.  

Why tf re-sign Kevin king?
This is disappointing but not a shock. Packers playing it safe, again. Hopefully that 6M is incentive laden and KK plays well enough to earn it. 

I'm grew up in WI in the 70's & 80-'s so I know what it's like to watch bad football. I like the winning tradition that has become the Packers but I'd rather see them lay it all down on the table in the short term to win it all again while Rodgers is here. Once he's gone, you suck again but the NFL is made for bad teams to get better in a hurry. :2cents:

This is disappointing but not a shock. Packers playing it safe, again. Hopefully that 6M is incentive laden and KK plays well enough to earn it. 

I'm grew up in WI in the 70's & 80-'s so I know what it's like to watch bad football. I like the winning tradition that has become the Packers but I'd rather see them lay it all down on the table in the short term to win it all again while Rodgers is here. Once he's gone, you suck again but the NFL is made for bad teams to get better in a hurry. :2cents:
I think this is exactly what "laying it all down on the table in the short term" looks like. They are pushing a ton of cap out into '22 and '23.  King gets a 1 year deal for about $5mil, with a few voidable years on the back end to push the cap hit out a bit. Apparently, it will count less than $2mil to this year's cap, and about $3mil in dead cap money in 2022-23 after he's gone.  Or, if he rebounds and has a good year, they can restructure and keep him around.

I was hoping it would be less when the details emerged, but I guess this is what you pay for an average (at best) CB2 when Kyle Fuller is getting $9.5mil and Patrick Peterson is getting $10mil for one year.

Thoughts on the upcoming draft? Most of the mocks I've done have these players available in round , possibly round 2 (in positional order):

WR's: Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Terrance Marshall, Kadarius Toney

OL: Walker Little, Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Samuel Cosmi, Alex Leatherwood

LB: Zaven Collins (rarely available but possible), Nick Bolton, Jamin Davis, Jabril Cox

CB: Greg Newsome (see Zaven Collins), Jevon Holland, Aaron Robinson, Kelvin Joseph

I run 3 round mocks and the highest grades I get when staying pat with those picks (29,62,92) are Elijah Moore, Jamin Davis then double down on WR and take Josh Palmer. 

Rumors swirling around that Love could be sent to NE for the 15th (doubt that happens and seems like pre draft smoke screen crappola). 

Would love to see them jump up to the Giants 11 if Devonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle fall but that doesn't fall in line with GB draft philosophy. Baltimore & NO have needs at WR and could snipe a targeted WR's so they could be looking to trade up to Cleveland at 26. 

Question for those on the fence about the two Moore's and Marshall.  If the Packers get one of them, would you favor him over the other two, assuming the other two land in OK spots, but not great?

Paul Hembekides @PaulHembo

Fun research project with @VinMasi

- hit rate for 1st-round draft picks by position:

C (100%)

OT (60%)

LB (55%)

G (46%)

EDGE (45%)

QB (42%)

RB (40%)

S (39%)

TE (39%)

CB (35%)

DT (35%)

WR (27%)

Determined by whether or not that player signed a 2nd contract with his draft team

The dataset is the 17 drafts spanning 2000-16 (540 total players).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on the upcoming draft? Most of the mocks I've done have these players available in round , possibly round 2 (in positional order):

WR's: Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Rondale Moore, Terrance Marshall, Kadarius Toney

OL: Walker Little, Teven Jenkins, Dillon Radunz, Samuel Cosmi, Alex Leatherwood

LB: Zaven Collins (rarely available but possible), Nick Bolton, Jamin Davis, Jabril Cox

CB: Greg Newsome (see Zaven Collins), Jevon Holland, Aaron Robinson, Kelvin Joseph

I run 3 round mocks and the highest grades I get when staying pat with those picks (29,62,92) are Elijah Moore, Jamin Davis then double down on WR and take Josh Palmer. 

Rumors swirling around that Love could be sent to NE for the 15th (doubt that happens and seems like pre draft smoke screen crappola). 

Would love to see them jump up to the Giants 11 if Devonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle fall but that doesn't fall in line with GB draft philosophy. Baltimore & NO have needs at WR and could snipe a targeted WR's so they could be looking to trade up to Cleveland at 26. 
The only reason I think they do go a little WR heavy this year...is the contract situations of all of our WRs for the most part.  

IMO...OL is the bigger current need and seems to have value in this draft as well.  I see a lot of scenarios with CB/WR/OL combos in the first 3-4 rounds.  While LB is also there, and it may be different with a new DC, the team has not really valued that position much to use high picks on it.

Saw the Love rumor as well...from a guy who apparently has made up a lot of rumors in the past.  But Id have been giddy had it been real.  Move on from the mistake, move up to grab a possible stud...and secure Rodgers for 3-4 years.

The only reason I think they do go a little WR heavy this year...is the contract situations of all of our WRs for the most part.  

IMO...OL is the bigger current need and seems to have value in this draft as well.  I see a lot of scenarios with CB/WR/OL combos in the first 3-4 rounds.  While LB is also there, and it may be different with a new DC, the team has not really valued that position much to use high picks on it.

Saw the Love rumor as well...from a guy who apparently has made up a lot of rumors in the past.  But Id have been giddy had it been real.  Move on from the mistake, move up to grab a possible stud...and secure Rodgers for 3-4 years.
Perhaps you've already posted this somewhere, but who do they favor at WR that has a realistic chance at falling to them.  I ask this because no one knows the Packers like you do.

If only we had drafted a WR from last year’s stacked WR draft class......

Perhaps you've already posted this somewhere, but who do they favor at WR that has a realistic chance at falling to them.  I ask this because no one knows the Packers like you do.
Honestly...no clue of who they favor anymore....nor have I looked very strongly at this year's group of WRs.  Just the cursory glances at the big picture of it again being a deep group of guys.

What they don't seem to have is a consistent inside receiver.  And always a bonus if they can find a returner because they have been lacking in that department for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread