What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk about Nashville, Tennessee (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
I've been politicking so hard to land in Nashville where I'd be the assistant to the regional manager in charge of all kinds of cool stuff in three states.  I like to blow stuff up and shoot guns, this would be my job.

What do I need to know?  Nashville has pucks and AAA beisbol right?  Can I marry Carry Underwood?  How many fat chicks do they have there?  Enough for me?  I have a big appetite for the buffet crowd,

Will answer yours, tiatiatiatiatiatiaglllllllllllllllllll

One of my favorite cities and I've thought about moving there too. I don't know much you don't probably know already. Music, babes, great restaurants & nightlife, Titans, cheap cost of living. It seems like a cooler, more laid back, more authentic and less pretentious Atlanta. 

a city that conflates eccentricities with character. it's full of privledge, sanctimony and related hazards of the nouveau riche. more like Charlotte than Atlanta in that it's dominated by one industry and doesn't truly attract world class anything. fun for a long weekend but not much else.

- former resident with family still residing there

a city that conflates eccentricities with character. it's full of privledge, sanctimony and related hazards of the nouveau riche. more like Charlotte than Atlanta in that it's dominated by one industry and doesn't truly attract world class anything. fun for a long weekend but not much else.

While I haven't lived there or near, this is true. Tell you what.

This is more in line with the truth than anything. 

Cost of living (housing) has inflated significantly and sprawl has resulted. No state income tax. Wants so bad to think of itself as a major cosmopolitan city but still is populated by lots of rednecks... just some drive Bimmers and think they’re not rednecks as a result. Traffic can be a problem. Bible Belt politics. Lots of jesus. 

It's an awesome city. Nice parks to walk/run, hot chicken, plenty of entertainment options, hot chicken, coeds, hot chicken, etc etc.  

It's an awesome city. Nice parks to walk/run, hot chicken, plenty of entertainment options, hot chicken, coeds, hot chicken, etc etc.  
Hot chicken isn't all it's clucked up to be, IMO. Tried a couple places and was significantly underwhelmed. I've had "Buffalo chicken" sandwiches in many restaurants that surpass Hattie B's. Princes is a bit better but still not worth anywhere near the pride Nashvillans have in it. 

If you want real fried chicken... head on down the road a couple hours to Gus's. 

Nashville does feel more like Charlotte than Atlanta. A little like Austin too - a tiny island of civilization in a sea of hillbillies. Yeah the traffic is bad - but I think most cities can claim this. You can always get Titans and Preds tickets cheap. It's definitely Bible belt. Lot of entertainment options and a good home for foodies.  Plus Joe Bryant is just down the road and he'll always drop by for a beer or three at the drop of a hat.

I've been politicking so hard to land in Nashville where I'd be the assistant to the regional manager in charge of all kinds of cool stuff in three states.  I like to blow stuff up and shoot guns, this would be my job.

What do I need to know?  Nashville has pucks and AAA beisbol right?  Can I marry Carry Underwood?  How many fat chicks do they have there?  Enough for me?  I have a big appetite for the buffet crowd,

Will answer yours, tiatiatiatiatiatiaglllllllllllllllllll
Yes...there are chicks of all different sizes.

MLS soccer coming soon too.  Don’t think I’ve seem you as a soccer fan in here though.

Getting more pricey by the day but still a fun town.  Most of the newer restaurants try to out do the last as being high end.  But yes some good eats here.

Curious what are the perceived issues with living in the bible belt anyway? It's not like people are proselytizing in your face when you're in line at CVS. I'm an atheist, friends are mostly the same, and it's not an issue. And I live in an area of town saturated with churches, including megachurches. Worst impact on my life is traffic on Sunday mornings when I'm out getting my hangover breakfast.

Curious what are the perceived issues with living in the bible belt anyway? It's not like people are proselytizing in your face when you're in line at CVS. I'm an atheist, friends are mostly the same, and it's not an issue. And I live in an area of town saturated with churches, including megachurches. Worst impact on my life is traffic on Sunday mornings when I'm out getting my hangover breakfast.
For me it's largely (but far from exclusively) in the laws/politics.  Some folks tend to be a little judgey of non-christians as well... then there's the "we're a christian bakery... a christian movie theater... a christian etc.". if you've not lived outside the bible belt... it's more in your face. IMO. 

Hot chicken isn't all it's clucked up to be, IMO. Tried a couple places and was significantly underwhelmed. I've had "Buffalo chicken" sandwiches in many restaurants that surpass Hattie B's. Princes is a bit better but still not worth anywhere near the pride Nashvillans have in it. 

If you want real fried chicken... head on down the road a couple hours to Gus's. 
:thumbdown:

:shrug:  IMO it's greasy, poorly cooked chicken hidden under breading and a fairly standard buffalo style sauce. The underlying flesh of Gus' is far far superior with regards to moisture, flavor, and texture. I love buffalo anything flavor wise.. and it's tasty... but it's just not the same product. There's a reason Hattie B's serves the chicken on a bed of white bread... to soak up the puddle of grease under the meat.

Gus's achieves a phenomenally moist/tender internal flesh (thanks to the buttermilk bath), with a very light crust (no hiding under soggy breading) and a nice foundation of heat and flavor. All without being even remotely greasy. 

Again, this is personal preference. Nashville style may be some folks' jam. I just think Gus's is a superior overall product. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's largely (but far from exclusively) in the laws/politics.  Some folks tend to be a little judgey of non-christians as well... then there's the "we're a christian bakery... a christian movie theater... a christian etc.". if you've not lived outside the bible belt... it's more in your face. IMO. 
Have not encountered this in GA. When we moved into this house, the old bat across the street did ask if we'd found our "church home" yet though. "Not yet" :unsure:  

Atlanta is pretty unique in the number of transplants though. Vast majority of our friends are not originally from GA.

Have not encountered this in GA. When we moved into this house, the old bat across the street did ask if we'd found our "church home" yet though. "Not yet" :unsure:  

Atlanta is pretty unique in the number of transplants though. Vast majority of our friends are not originally from GA.
Atlanta, in my experience, is a city filled with people mostly from other parts of the South. They built a massive city for Southerners who wanted to feel like they got out of the South without actually leaving it. In short, it's for folks who aren't curious.

Atlanta, in my experience, is a city filled with people mostly from other parts of the South. They built a massive city for Southerners who wanted to feel like they got out of the South without actually leaving it. In short, it's for folks who aren't curious.
I'm from CT, wife's from Philly, we have friends from Chicago, Jersey, the Carolinas, Ohio, Boston, Germany, Florida, DC, CA and NYC. But yeah, stereotypes are cool too. We're a city of 6 million southerners who aren't curious, whatever the hell that means.

My favorite is when someone will say something like "Atlanta sucks; bad food, rude people, no culture at all". Then you find out they were here for a conference for two days in 2002, never left a two-block radius of the Hilton downtown, wandered into a sports bar and ate a dry burger and the server wasn't very talkative. Thanks for the review, Anthony Bourdain. 

My favorite is when someone will say something like "Atlanta sucks; bad food, rude people, no culture at all". Then you find out they were here for a conference for two days in 2002, never left a two-block radius of the Hilton downtown, wandered into a sports bar and ate a dry burger and the server wasn't very talkative. Thanks for the review, Anthony Bourdain. 
Pipe down, Carpetbagger!

Gus's is a better breading, but you don't eat hot chicken for the breading. :lol:

Nashville's a fine town. Getting a bit big for its britches lately, but that's kind of fun too. It was a great town for us when we wanted to go out and party two or three nights a week and is still great now that we've moved north to Hendersonville and enjoy things at a somewhat slower pace. We might go downtown once or twice a month. In my opinion it is one of the top places for single folk; lots of room to grow and more than your fair share of people to meet.

City sales tax is 9.25% and I think you can buy alcohol in most areas of town no matter what day it is.

Gus's is a better breading, but you don't eat hot chicken for the breading. :lol:
I can't help but feel like you didn't read my post. Gus's doesn't hide behind breading... that's the point :)  

My point stands... Nashville hot chicken is subpar chicken hidden behind a greasy breading and a solid but unspectacular buffalo sauce. The meat itself can't hold a candle to what Gus's turns out. Just sayin. 

saintfool said:

Thinking about a long weekend there next fall. What are the must see/dos?  Any good golf?

I'm not sure I'm ready to move to Nashville, but I know I'm hungry for fried chicken now.
They have this chicken called Nashville Hot Chicken, OMG it's phenomenal. Try Prince's, or if you really want to treat yourself, Hattie B's. Make sure you ask for the buffalo sauce with double breading. 

They have this chicken called Nashville Hot Chicken, OMG it's phenomenal. Try Prince's, or if you really want to treat yourself, Hattie B's. Make sure you ask for the buffalo sauce with double breading. 

Nashville's a fine town. Getting a bit big for its britches lately, but that's kind of fun too. It was a great town for us when we wanted to go out and party two or three nights a week and is still great now that we've moved north to Hendersonville and enjoy things at a somewhat slower pace. We might go downtown once or twice a month. In my opinion it is one of the top places for single folk; lots of room to grow and more than your fair share of people to meet.

City sales tax is 9.25% and I think you can buy alcohol in most areas of town no matter what day it is.
Nashville has some good hot chicken but Gus's is better. 

Gus’s is damn good.  Not a princes fan...used to be bigger in Hattie Bs but think the quality has gone downhill as they got more popular.

As much as I like the hot chicken...give me a good Gabbys burger instead.  Talk about some greasy goodness.

I’m staying in the area all week. Going to see the Titans twice. Hit Topgolf the other day which is pretty new. Also went to Andrew Jackson’s Hermitage. It’s crazy cold right now. Coldest I’ve ever been down here. 

Going to the Music City Bowl tomorrow and got some credit at Bovada so I’ll have a reason to care about it if anyone has any idea who I should bet on.

Was there for a bit of a tour this summer. Nice city, we had a blast at the Country Music HOF.

You are 75 miles from Lynchburg. JD is a fun place to visit!!!

A lot of places to hang out around Nashville. Great restaurants. City parks. Ton of great state parks, lakes, rivers within 2 hour or less drive. And of course, the Preds!  Locals are very friendly in Nashville.  It's odd how different the entire area is since my partying days. I miss the smaller town feel it used to have. I'd bump into people downtown I knew on a regular basis. Very unlikely that would happen now

Last edited by a moderator:
My son is taking a job there after graduation in May.  He’s been there a few times and loves it.  My impression (from him) is that it’s a great city for the younger crowd. 

Please move there so I have someone there to keep him in line.

TIA

McGarnicle said:
Curious what are the perceived issues with living in the bible belt anyway?
Nothing in practical terms - other than some weird alcohol laws. Mostly just the occasional embarrassing law or proposed bill (usually of the anti-LBGT type) that you're asked to explain to friends.

No offense to Atlanta peeps, but I've been a lot of places and Atlanta is just one of the worst big cities I've ever spent time in.  As far as the big cities in the US, it's not much better than Baltimore or Cleveland.  My best family lives there so I've spent a good amount of time there, and I don't like it.

I was hoping Nashville was nothing like Atlanta.  :shrug:

In the late 90s Buckhead was AWESOME
I've had a chance to move to Atlanta three times in the past five years, and I love my family there, but I couldn't do it. 

They are the leader in panhandlers and southern bsing, neither of which I'm tolerant of. 

Users who are viewing this thread