What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikings vs Bills preseason week one. (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
I will share observations of this game here. Getting close to kick off now (after another commerical).

The pre game crew for the Vikings are terrible.

1st play is a inside zone run out of the pistol. He is met after about 2 yards but is able to drive for another 3 yards.

2nd and 5 another run inside for 4 yards.

3rd and 1 Bradford hits Cook in the right flat for a 7 yard reception.

After the 1st down the Vikings show a lot of action flowing to the left side then Bradford tries to hit Diggs on the right side, Diggs fell down on the play incomplete.

2nd down they run with Cook up the middle for 2 yards.

3rd down Remmers wiffs his block and Bradford gets sacked. 

Sammy Watkins with 3 consecutive receptions on the right side. The first two he was covered by Trey Waynes, the 3rd one Terrance Newman.

Nice run by Johnathan Williams up the middle but they get called for holding.

Incomplete pass to Watkins on the right side.

Griffen sacks Taylor from the right side, good coverage.

Draw play with Williams on 4rd down for good yardage, but too far to go after the holding and sack backed them up.

Love the forcing the ball to Watkins. That's only about 4 years too late. Even on the incompletion it was a good call - the timing just got thrown off.

2nd Vikings drive Huges comes free off the right side. Cook does not pick him up in pass protection, instead floating out to the flat and Bradford is sacked. Hill beat badly by Hughes on the block.

Bradford throws a stop route to Diggs.

On third down Bradford throws to Cooks on the right flat but short of the first down.

Trey Waynes was hurt on the Bills second play, slow to get up and he hasn't been back replaced by Newman.Paul Allen saying he may not return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice run by Williams on the left side. Kendricks jumps at his feet too early.

A second run for no gain.

Tyrod Taylor looks like he was going to be sacked but jumps out of the low tackles and scrambles for a short gain. Nice play by Taylor, somewhat disappointing the poor tackling on Hunters part.

3rd drive by the Vikings run up the middle with Cook for no gain.

2nd down dump off pass to Cook that almost gets a 1st down but Boone called for holding on the play.

2nd down again screen left to Cook for 16 yards.

3rd and 4 Bradofrd rolls to the right high throw to Diggs near the sideline that would have been a difficult pass to bring in.

Bills drive WIliams with a reception for 6 yards middle right.

2nd down a run to the right for 8 yards, nice cut by Williams.

1st down run by Tolbert on the left side for another 1st down.

1st down play action Robinson is able to break up the pass on the left side.

2nd down Taylor finds Watkins on the right side.

End of quarter.

Bills 3rd and 1 try to run with Tolbert but the Vikings meet him in the backfield tackle for loss.

The Bills kick a field goal.

Nice running by Williams before they brought Tolbert in. Tolbert did have a good run on his first play that the Vikings didn't seem to be expecting.

4th Vikings possession Keenum in a QB. McKinnon not playing so Cook is still in the game.

After an incomplete pass on 1st down Keenum tries to get it to Wright is almost intercepted. The refs call pass interference giving the Vikings a 1st down. 

1st and 10 another incomplete pass.

2nd and 10 Dalvin Cook on a run to the right for 2 yards.

3rd down Keeum throwing deep no WR in the area. Coley was the WR in the area (kind of).

4th Bills drive they are backed up near their own end zone.

Power run left side by Tolbert for 4 yards.

2nd down a 1st down run by Tolbert with a lot of room on the right side.

1st and 10 quick throw on the right side for a 1st down.

1st and 10 TE screen on the left side for another 1st down.

Vikings playing good defense so far. NOT

Bills with a lot of penalties so far. My guess is that McDermott is going to be giving a lot of guys an earful next practice and classroom work. He's not going to put up with that same garbage that Rex let happen.

5th Vikings drive Keenum finds Rodney Adams for 9 yards.

Bishop Sankey in the game gets stuffed for 3 yard loss.

3rd down good pass rush that Keenum somehow escapes and runs for the 1st down.

Keenum deep to right on 1st down but throws too far.

2nd down throw to Coley on a slant route. Nice run after the catch. Penalty after the play.

1st down quick pass in the seam to Michael Floyd for 8 yards.

2nd and 2 Bishop Sankey up the middle for 4 yards.

2nd and 12 screen left to Sankey for 6 yards.

3rd and 6 pass to Sankey short of the 1st down.

Vikings kick a field goal.

Bills 5th drive they find a WR on the right side for 5 yards.

2nd and 5 run inside for 3 yards.

3rd and 2  Pass to Banyard on the right flat for a 1st down.

Plays are coming pretty fast so kind of hard to keep up with them.

Mike Zimmer said a few days ago that the Vikings defense was ready to play for 3 or 4 days at that point.

Based on what I have seen so far, I can't say I agree with him.

I didn't even know Wilson was a LB who would play so early. He wears number 50.

The Bills complete a pass to the right side.

Sack by Bower off the left side.

3rd down Yates throws to an open space on the right side.

Vikings 6th drive.

Shotgun dump off to Sankey who slips after the catch for minimal gain.

2nd down Keenum finds Adams on a comeback route on the right side for a 1st down.

1st down screen to Sankey on the right side for 5 yards.

2nd down nice throw to Adams in the left seam. The Bills defender goes low and Adams drops the catch as he gets hit.

3rd down Keenum has pressure up the middle rolls right and almost throws an interception.

PUNT

Vikings punt coverage has been pretty good so far. They have pinned the Bills deep 3 times now.

Bills run inside left fo the last play of the half.

It is Dalvin Cooks 22nd birthday today.

@Biabreakable, many thanks for this as I can't catch the game. 

Whats your overall opinion on Cook's performance?
He looked pretty good early on and he catches the ball very smoothly.

He missed that pass protection assignment. He was in position to block Hughes but just doesn't do it and continues to release on his route. I don't agree with his decision, this resulted in a Bradford sack.

Not entirely on him as Hill completely missed his block. Hughes is good. Still that is why he checks and he should have tried to block him.

He looks a lot better than Sankey.

The Vikings throwing to the RB often.

He looked pretty good early on and he catches the ball very smoothly.

He missed that pass protection assignment. He was in position to block Hughes but just doesn't do it and continues to release on his route. I don't agree with his decision, this resulted in a Bradford sack.

Not entirely on him as Hill completely missed his block. Hughes is good. Still that is why he checks and he should have tried to block him.

He looks a lot better than Sankey.

The Vikings throwing to the RB often.
Rookie RBs struggling with pass blocking is nothing new. Not ideal, but not surprising. And not many RBs period can handle Hughes coming off the edge.

Sankey finds a crease on the right side and gains 15 yards but hurts his knee at the end of the play, Still on the ground.

Rookie RBs struggling with pass blocking is nothing new. Not ideal, but not surprising. And not many RBs period can handle Hughes coming off the edge.
True. I just would have liked to see him at least try instead of getting out of the way and continuing his route.

eta - I love Cook and I am expecting good things from him this season, but when he makes a mistake I am going to tell it like it is.

Stacey Coley with a nice catch right side. Maybe out of bounds though. The refs will check.

Keenum rolled to his right side before the throw.

CJ Ham runs up the middle right side for a TD.

Ham moved to fullback this offseason and has been doing a pretty good job.

Rodney Adams muffs the punt return but Zach Tocho is able to recover it.

Adams has not looked very good on returns thus far. High standard from Patterson though.

Based on what I have seen in this game I would rather see Sherels returning kicks than Adams easily.

Heinicke in at QB and Newby in at RB now.

Newby stuffed for a tackle for loss, then finds some room on the 2nd down run getting the yards back.

Heinicke misses the snap but is able to pick up the ball and run for a 1st down.

Deep shot by Heinicke offsetting penalties on the DB and the WR. Play doesn't count.

Nice throw to Ham on the left side for a 11 yard gain.

1st and 10 high throw for Fruechte on the right side.

Newby tackled for loss on a sweep right play.

3rd and 14 throw to Freuchte on the left side but the DB knocks it out from behind him.

Penalty for hitting the QB around the neck after the throw 1st down.

Newby with a 3 yard gain.

2nd down another high throw by Heinicke.

Draw play to Newby on 3rd down and he gets 9 yards on the right side for a 1st down.

Heinicke throws what should be an interception on the right side. Newby catches the deflection and they gain 7 yards.

Counter run with Newby right to left he gets the 1st down.

1st and goal.

1 yard run by Newby right middle.

2nd and goal Hienicke throws a fade to Frueckte on the right side but he turns for the ball too late.

Rodney Adams runs behind the formation to the right with motion to the left of the rest of the offense. Heinicke finds him for the TD right side.

I stepped out for a minute so I likely missed some plays.

Peterman in now for the Bills. Nice throw to their TE (82?) but Lemur gets a hand in there.

Off target throw by Peterman on a slant route behind the receiver. They gained a 1st down off a penalty by Sinkfield.

2nd down the Bills run for 3 yards.

3rd and 7 Peterman scrambles for the first down.

1st and 10 play action Peterman takes off again and runs for another 1st down.

Throw to Powell which is off his hands and up in the air, but he is able to catch it off the bounce for 4 yards.

Run by Johnson on the right side for 3 yards.

3rd and 3 at the 10 yard line shotfun Peterman finds Thomas (82) in the seam for 9 yards.

Peterman fade route to Desmin Lewis in the left corner for a TD. Nice throw.

Vikings run with Newby to the left side for no gain.

2nd down Heinicke rolls right and throws an interception to Joe Powell.

oof

Run to the left side with number 7 (Jones) ??

Nice fake move and he finds room for a 1st down.

Two incomplete passes by Peterman following this.

3rd and 10 Peterman throws a dart for 87 slanting into the end zone. Vikings number 50 gets a hand on it and knocks the pass off target. Pretty good hops by 50 there (I forgot his name already). Eric Wilson.

The Bills go for it on 4th down but fail to complete the pass.

Heinicke sacked on 3rd down after a couple ineffectual plays by the Vikings.

Keenum definitely looked better than Heinicke in this one.

I kind of like how Peterman looks.

Peterman nice throw to Shorts left side on the slant route.

Runs out to the left for 5 yards and a 1st down.

1st down throws an out route to Lewis on the right side.

2nd and 6 run right by Johnson (39) for a 2 yard gain. Good penetration by the defense for a change.

3rd and 4 nice throw by Peterman but the receiver drops it.

They go for it on 4th down again deep shot on the right side but the receiver gets tangled up with the DB and no one can get to the ball.

Overall I would say the Bills have been winning the line of scrimmage, especially on defense. The Vikings didn't give RB much room to run.

The Bills were able to create some lanes for their RB early on against the Vikings 1st team defense. 

Peterman throws a pretty nice ball. He maybe could have put more loft on the pass that got knocked down, but this was more a good play by the LB.

Peterman avoid a sack by Wilson (50) and is able to throw the ball away after he escapes. Safety was crashing down as well.

Throws a nice pass to Shorts deep left side.

Then again to Shorts on the left side on a out route, Shorts gets out of bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread