What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: QB Connor Cook, Oakland Raiders (1 Viewer)

An NFC regional scout said Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook is a third-round prospect.
"The most polarizing guy in the draft is going to be Connor Cook," he said. "Watch. Scouts argue about him all the time. We've seen him long enough that everyone's mind is made up already. He's a third-rounder to me and an average starter at best." Similar to Brady Quinn several years ago, Cook is a long-time starter who folks still can't quite get their finger on despite ample tape to watch. "Cook has been a productive starter who has shown improvement each year, but there are still questions about his accuracy on the NFL level and whether or not he can be a team leader in the locker room and on the field," noted NFL.com. "While Cook might be polarizing, he's also a quality quarterback, and quality quarterbacks rarely fall very far outside of the second round."

Source: NFL.com 
Thu, Dec 10, 2015 07:32:00 PM

According to an anonymous NFL scout interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook "likes being a celebrity."
Said the scout, "[Cook] can make all the throws and he's got some strength to him and he can run. It's all the other stuff with him. How much does he really like ball? How much is he going to work at it? He likes being a celebrity." This isn't the first time Cook's character's come under fire. Prior to the season, minor waves were made when the 6-foot-4, 218-pound senior wasn't named a team captain, and after the Big Ten Championship Game, Cook visibly snubbed two-time Heisman winner Archie Griffin. It's doubtful this stuff will matter in the long run--despite so-called "character concerns," the Spartans are still in the College Football Playoff. And of course, should Cook turn in a huge game against Alabama's top-ranked defense on New Year's Eve, that would go a long way toward minimizing idle whispers.

Source: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 
Tue, Dec 15, 2015 03:34:00 PM

AL.com's Matt Zenitz noted that Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said that Michigan State senior QB Connor Cook "reminds him of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan when Ryan was at Boston College."
The Michigan State prospect has been solid for the Spartans in 2015, throwing for 2,921 yards with 24 touchdowns to just five interceptions. With a huge win over a tough Crimson Tide defense, it could give his draft stock a slight boost. The 6-foot-4, 218-pound senior has been seen as one of the top-3 quarterback prospects heading into the NFL draft.

Source: AL.com 
Mon, Dec 28, 2015 02:41:00 PM

He's this year's Tom Savage IMO.  Think when BS season ends and the cards get turned over next week he'll have been drafted as a pure backup.

Michigan State QB Connor Cook has "come across as flippant and cavalier" in interviews, reports TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

Cook continues to get assaulted with questions about his leadership and personality. On the other hand, CBS Sports' Jason La Confora reported recently that a handful of teams loved the throw-dirt-on-Connor scuttlebutt because it meant he might slide down the board to them. Cook is either going in the late first or early second rounds. Apr 15 - 3:26 PM

Source: Walter Football

A scout on a team that doesn't need a QB said that some in his organization like Michigan State QB Connor Cook just as much as Carson Wentz and Jared Goff.
"I don't see him going in the top 15 picks, but after that he is in play," the scout said. "There is a lot to like there, he played in a pro-style offense, he can handle the big stage." CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora spoke with "several scouts" who have dealt with Cook and reported they are "very impressed with his personality." The analyst also reported that "some coordinators have raved internally about his demeanor following his visits there." La Canfora wrote a lengthy column investigating Cook's disappearing act from the prospect scene and concluded that teams aren't talking about him because they want him to drop to them. "The team captain thing is totally overblown, totally overblown," said one scout who spoke with CBS. "(All-American center) Jack Allen is the alpha male of that program. Period. There was no way he wasn't going to be named the offensive team captain."

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 11 - 8:00 PM

ESPN's Jon Gruden said that Michigan State QB Connor Cook "is gonna be perhaps the best quarterback in this draft."
That's high praise for the much-embattled Cook, though Gruden has also referred to North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz as the most NFL-ready quarterback he has seen in years. Like all drugs, hyperbole can be abused. The Michigan State gunslinger has been among the more scrutinized draft prospects over the past few months, due to a combination of questionable arm talent and his overall character and demeanor. Not everybody is scared away, though. Of late, he has worked out for the 49ers and Browns. And he took a visit to the Saints on Thursday.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Apr 7 - 8:49 PM

Pro Football Focus analyst Wes Huber noted that Michigan State QB Connor Cook's best NFL fit could come in "a vertical passing offensive scheme."
Huber specifically raised concerns about Cook's accuracy issues on short-to-intermediate throws, writing that those questions "will likely drop him into the second day of the draft." While the 6-foot-4, 217-pounder failed to complete 60% of his passes in any single season with the Spartans, the analyst does highlight the fact that he was the most accurate quarterback in the country on throws of more than 20 yards. Hence why he thinks Cook would fit well with a team that launches downfield on a regular basis. "He has a lightning-fast release, makes quick decisions and should provide decent value selected after the second round," Huber concluded.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Mar 24 - 2:20 PM

Following his Pro Day, Michigan State QB Connor Cook told reporters that he believes he comes with "no red flags."
Cook addressed his lack of team captaincy in 2015 for the billionth time (approximate) this draft season, saying, "So obviously, there's going to be some red flags, but that's the funny thing about it. There is no red flags. So I'm just going to continue to be me and just go from there." The 6-foot-4, 217-pounder did admit to being annoyed at the team snub, but insisted that that annoyance was born from his competitive drive. "Obviously, you want to be captain. But it just drove me to be the best quarterback I could possibly be and just earn everything I get." He offered a very similar explanation in a piece he wrote for MMQB earlier this week. The grilling Cook has received theoretically makes sense, but at this point, it's not like Cook was an outwardly bad apple during his time with the Spartans and all of this is probably overblown. His lack of arm-upside should matter far, far more to his draft stock.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 17 - 10:24 PM

QB coach George Whitfield defended one of his pupils, Michigan State QB Connor Cook.
"He has comeback wins in the Rose Bowl and Cotton Bowl and an appearance in the college football playoff. He beats Ohio State," Whitfield says. "But now he’s getting dogged for the non-captaincy and some personality stuff, which is the same thing as knocking Beyonce because she doesn’t snowboard very well." Scouts remain at least somewhat concerned. "Is the guy a leader in the building? That’s what you want to see," said one evaluator. "So he passed the test as a QB, but it’s more than that for that position. I think there’s some maturity issues there. But his track record at Michigan State is pretty sweet, so this league could be wrong on him."

Source: MMQB 
Mar 21 - 3:55 PM

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt believes that Michigan State QB Connor Cook's best offensive system-fit would come in a West Coast offense.

In Brandt's rundown of the best available quarterbacks (via free agency, draft or potential trade), Cook checks in at No. 7, beneath Memphis QB Paxton Lynch. Wrote the analyst, "I think the thing that separates Cook from Lynch is arm strength and the type of offense best suited for each. While Lynch can play in any type of offense, Cook will be limited to a West Coast-style scheme." This echoes what we've heard from various scouting outlets over the course of the pre-draft process. The 6-foot-4, 217-pound Spartan product just doesn't have the same sort of howitzer as Lynch or Carson Wentz, nor does he have the pinpoint accuracy of Jared Goff. A scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel in late February summed up Cook as "a great winning percentage, an average arm and a quick release."

Michigan State QB Connor Cook "didn’t show tremendous pop or accuracy on his passes [at the NFL Scouting Combine]," according to Rivals recruiting director Mike Farrell.
"Cook needed to wow everyone to stay in the first round discussion and he didn’t do that," Farrell noted. The recruitment analyst saw the same issues with accuracy during the 6-foot-4, 218-pounder's days at Walsh Jesuit High, too, so it's not like this is a new thing for Cook. To the accuracy point, he never completed more than 59% of his passes during his three years starting for the Spartans. Indeed, his completion percentage has dropped each season, from 58.7% as a sophomore to 58.1% as a junior to just 56.1% as a senior. Farrell indicated that Cook needed to perhaps be a little more sharp at the combine events just to make up for some of the attitude questions that surround him. No dice. The analyst pegged him as a Day 2 or Day 3 selection for the draft. He probably won't slip to Day 3, but a second or third-round selection is certainly in play.

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel said that Michigan State QB Connor Cook possesses "a great winning percentage, an average arm and a quick release."
That scout's description is probably the most accurate you'll read this draft season. While character questions and demeanor draw the big headlines, those relatively minor complaints overlook the fact that Cook's just not as athletically skilled as some of the other gunslingers in this class. That's not to say that he can't make the throws, just that he lacks some of the rangier abilities that make a Carson Wentz appeal. While the above scout tore down his physical tools, two others who spoke with the Journal-Sentinel attacked different angles. One questioned the 6-foot-4, 218-pounder's drive and love of football, while another believes he's "not the sharpest guy" in terms of football IQ.

FL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Michigan State QB Connor Cook to Carson Palmer.

"Old-school quarterback with a workmanlike game and winning pedigree," he wrote. "Cook is a gifted game manager capable of taking his game up a notch when needed. He capably makes tight-rope throws to receivers at every level, but also shows the ability to change ball speed and trajectory on touch throws." As for arm strength, Brooks sees Cook as on par with Jared Goff but clearly below Carson Wentz. Brooks isn't concerned about that, but he does have some issues. "The three-year starter wasn't elected as a team captain by his teammates -- and the snub leads to concerns about his connection with his team," he wrote. "On the field, Cook's accuracy and ball placement are his biggest flaws." The Eagles, Texans, Rams, Broncos and Cowboys are potential fits, he writes.

Last edited by a moderator:

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel doesn't believe Michigan State QB Connor Cook "can lead you to the promised land."
"It's a tell-tale sign when your teammates don't like you," the scout said, "and I know they don't. [Cook]'s good, but that position is more than physical attributes. It's also leadership. Is he going to lead your guys? I don't think so." With the draft now just a week away, it looks like Cook has failed to scrub himself free from character questions. Just last week, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline relayed that the 6-foot-4, 217-pound gunslinger "[came] across as flippant and cavalier" during interviews. Another scout who spoke with the Journal-Sentinel absolutely savaged Cook -- for every aspect of his being. "He stinks," the scout said, adding, "Average arm, average mobility, average field vision. Not a leader. Not aware." That scout went so far as to say that if Cook is drafted in the first round, the offending GM should be fired "right after they pick him." We have issues with Cook as an NFL prospect, too, but wow.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 21 - 3:35 PM

FL Media analyst Bucky Brooks compares Michigan State QB Connor Cook to Carson Palmer.
WTH?

They're both QBs?  Both of them have names that start with C and have two words?  No idea how you get to this one.

An NFL scout who spoke with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel doesn't believe Michigan State QB Connor Cook "can lead you to the promised land."
"It's a tell-tale sign when your teammates don't like you," the scout said, "and I know they don't. [Cook]'s good, but that position is more than physical attributes. It's also leadership. Is he going to lead your guys? I don't think so." With the draft now just a week away, it looks like Cook has failed to scrub himself free from character questions. Just last week, TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline relayed that the 6-foot-4, 217-pound gunslinger "[came] across as flippant and cavalier" during interviews. Another scout who spoke with the Journal-Sentinel absolutely savaged Cook -- for every aspect of his being. "He stinks," the scout said, adding, "Average arm, average mobility, average field vision. Not a leader. Not aware." That scout went so far as to say that if Cook is drafted in the first round, the offending GM should be fired "right after they pick him." We have issues with Cook as an NFL prospect, too, but wow.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel 
Apr 21 - 3:35 PM
Lol wut?

Anonymous scout 1 week before the draft. Somebody wants him to fall.

He's this year's Tom Savage IMO.  Think when BS season ends and the cards get turned over next week he'll have been drafted as a pure backup.
I think Cook is a much better prospect than Savage was. That said, Cook rubs a lot of people the wrong way, I think he is an early 3rd rounder, likely to a team that will allow him a chance to start, but not necessarily be the favorite to start. Kind of like Mike Glennon was a few years ago. Could also see him as perhaps an "heir apparent"  to an aging starter. Maybe Dallas in round 3?

wdcrob said:
WTH?

They're both QBs?  Both of them have names that start with C and have two words?  No idea how you get to this one.
Yeah, some of these pundits say some outrageous stuff this time of year knowing full well we will forget everything and move on the second the actual draft starts. I teally think Brooks is one of those guys.

The hate for this guy is out of control imo.

If you needed a college guy to win you an NFL game in week 1 I think the first guy on the list would be Goff, but Cook might be #2. He has won big games against the best defenses in the country and so many of these QB's seem like huge projects just to get on the field of an NFL game. In a QB desperate league I am not sure how patient some of these teams can afford to be.

Cook's 2014 was actually good, which puts him miles ahead of Savage. Hackenberg seems like a closer comp for Tom #2.

Instead of playing at 18/19/20/21 and entering the league at 21 (young) or 22 (normal) he played at 20/21/22 and is entering the league at 23.  The extra year is a significant advantage in terms of NCAA production, on average -- especially since he didn't play at 18 or 19.  His completion percentage is pretty bad to begin with, but when you age adjust it it's even worse.

76"/217 is very slender by NFL standards.  It's been done, but it is still undersized.  Combined with the weak arm it's troubling.

Instead of playing at 18/19/20/21 and entering the league at 21 (young) or 22 (normal) he played at 20/21/22 and is entering the league at 23.  The extra year is a significant advantage in terms of NCAA production, on average -- especially since he didn't play at 18 or 19.  His completion percentage is pretty bad to begin with, but when you age adjust it it's even worse.

76"/217 is very slender by NFL standards.  It's been done, but it is still undersized.  Combined with the weak arm it's troubling.
He's younger than Wentz and and is much thicker than Goff. Wentz has a bigger arm, but Cook has more then enough arm strength. I'm guessing you only wretched the Bama game where he had a bum shoulder, or didn't watch any games and are basing it on the radar from the combine. That's fine, but I think anything that saw him in 2014 and 2015 pre- injury knows he has a sufficient arm.

Or he's old, undersized, inaccurate, and has a weak arm.
I appreciate the answer that actually addresses football reasons to ding him as a player, as opposed to these real GM/scouts that sound like palm readers that are sensing some sort of bad magic eminating from the guy. I don't agree with all your reasons but at least they are founded on something tangible.

- old, he may be a year older than the average rookie QB but imo he's a year closer to hitting the field as well. He's actually won big, pressure packed games against defensive players that will be playing on Sunday.

- undersized, maybe but haven't the same things been said about Goff and Mariota? It just seems like this is made to be a bigger deal for Cook than those other guys. Maybe it's due to a perma-scar from the Ryan Leaf days but I tend not to write off the Brees/Brady/Montana guys when they come out of college based on size alone.

- inaccurate, this is likely the biggest red flag to me. First, again the level of competition has to factor in a bit doesn't it? I mean if you are consistently winning against big programs doesn't completing just under 60% of your passes mean as much or more than completing under 65% of your passes beating something called Jacksonville State in your "championship"? Secondly, maybe this is a crutch argument but I have read that the offense Cook played in was more of a vertical passing game which often leads to lower completion %. I honestly don't know how true that is but it's something I have read. You would really need to watch an entire season rather than a few games to know for sure if that was the case I suppose.

- arm strength, almost every scout I have heard says that arm strenth is the single most over-rated attribute when rating a QB. Maybe he was hurt, but maybe he does have a weak arm. Based on the 2014 tape were there throws that it looked like he couldn't make? That 2014 tape leads me to believe the injury talk may be more than just an excuse. 

I think you bring up valid concerns, but I just don't put as much weight on them as some people do. Perhaps most importantly I guess I don't see many other QB's that have any fewer concerns. I just feel like grabbing an award and the like rubs people the wrong way. Look, he does look like he belongs in Cobra Kai and sounds immature at times but are NFL teams so set at QB they can drop this guy 1-3 rounds based on that alone? We aren't talking about drug test immature..... we're talking about "he's grabby with post game awards". At one point does the fact he earned the award while the game was actually going on overcome that? There are people who would still never want Cam Newton on their team because he wore a towel on his head while sitting on the bench for crying out loud. This silly stuff makes for some great narratives but seems to be a poor way of evaluating how a guy plays the game. Again, I am not accusing YOU of making those arguments thankfully but every one of his critics in the media lean heavily on them. We shall see.

wdcrob said:

This!

I've looked at his 'accuracy issues' and I can't explain away some of his bad throws.  

Accuracy is the issue with Cook that I can't overcome before I could factor in any personality quirks that some place before his primary issue and that is accuracy.

I'm a spartan fan and live in the area, and I never heard any of the talk of him being disliked by teammates or partying. I was really excited over the first two years because he got noticably better every game. He kind of plateaued his senior year, perhaps due to injury. His trophy grab was unfortunate, but the media coverage after that stopped there. He made a very sincere apology explaining he was caught up in te moment that didn't get any recognition, now he's labeled "flippant" or "arrogant".  Look at the recent knocks on him- "something seems off, I can't really put a finger on it". Msu wr core hasn't had any game changers in quite a while either. Sure it's a homer/apologist take, but I can't just watch people tear this kid down. I think the "red flags" are being blown out of proportion.

I'm a spartan fan and live in the area, and I never heard any of the talk of him being disliked by teammates or partying. I was really excited over the first two years because he got noticably better every game. He kind of plateaued his senior year, perhaps due to injury. His trophy grab was unfortunate, but the media coverage after that stopped there. He made a very sincere apology explaining he was caught up in te moment that didn't get any recognition, now he's labeled "flippant" or "arrogant".  Look at the recent knocks on him- "something seems off, I can't really put a finger on it". Msu wr core hasn't had any game changers in quite a while either. Sure it's a homer/apologist take, but I can't just watch people tear this kid down. I think the "red flags" are being blown out of proportion.

Hey Snork,

Since you are an MSU fan and have seen this kid play, what do you think of the accuracy issues and I'm sure you know what I mean.  Throws that come out of nowhere that stun you.  His bottom line completion percentage was bad so I went back to look at some of his bad throws and I was left scratching my head.  I just can't overcome his accuracy issues.  

Do you think it is fair to question his accuracy?

Yeah I think that's fair. 2013 he was managing games, occasionally sailing a pass or making a wrong read but progressed. 2014 I thought that he can make all the   throws that are asked of in the nfl. Showed poise in te pocket and the ability to sense the rush and set up blockers. Showed poise under pressure late in games to put his team in a position to win. If I had to knock him on something it would be that he's not as accurate as you'd like, but not so much that he's out there chucking every ball over open wrs. 2015 he didn't take the step forward that I hoped, if he had we would be having a different discussion. I don't think he regressed, just didn't look better like he had week by week up to then. Perhaps it's the shoulder injury, maybe he wasn't putting in the time and was busy being big man on campus. Either way I think a little time can cure both. I see him being less of a project than some of this years qbs, what you have is what you get. Could start now if needed more than wentz/lynch/hack. Close to maxed potential. 

As far as accuracy I've seen him make great throws in tight windows, drive the ball downfield, get it in the wrs hands at the right time on hitches and screens, make reads and use all his options, can sell play action well, and lead his wrs. Accuracy isn't his strength, but I wouldn't describe him as inaccurate or let that scare me off. 

Yeah I think that's fair. 2013 he was managing games, occasionally sailing a pass or making a wrong read but progressed. 2014 I thought that he can make all the   throws that are asked of in the nfl. Showed poise in te pocket and the ability to sense the rush and set up blockers. Showed poise under pressure late in games to put his team in a position to win. If I had to knock him on something it would be that he's not as accurate as you'd like, but not so much that he's out there chucking every ball over open wrs. 2015 he didn't take the step forward that I hoped, if he had we would be having a different discussion. I don't think he regressed, just didn't look better like he had week by week up to then. Perhaps it's the shoulder injury, maybe he wasn't putting in the time and was busy being big man on campus. Either way I think a little time can cure both. I see him being less of a project than some of this years qbs, what you have is what you get. Could start now if needed more than wentz/lynch/hack. Close to maxed potential. 

As far as accuracy I've seen him make great throws in tight windows, drive the ball downfield, get it in the wrs hands at the right time on hitches and screens, make reads and use all his options, can sell play action well, and lead his wrs. Accuracy isn't his strength, but I wouldn't describe him as inaccurate or let that scare me off. 

He has everything in terms of baseline size, etc.  That is fine by me.  I LOVE that he makes NFL throws and completely agree with all of your points pertaining to his strengths but I don't think accuracy can be taught.  This is the deal breaker for me with Cook.  The personality quirks might be more sensational to others but my bottom line with Cook is accuracy.  

A few years ago, Pittsburgh's GM said he looks for a completion percentage of over 63% for any college QB and he would red flag anyone below 61%, that stuck with me.  Jake Locker is a guy that immediately comes to mind.  Big guy, great arm, tough, etc, poor accuracy and he never overcame that fault in the NFL.  Other guys have accuracy issues with certain throws that they never overcame like a Brady Quinn who has the worst deep ball accuracy I've ever seen.  

Cook is inconsistent with his accuracy and that is mind boggling because you see the tight window throws, you see the really impressive deep out NFL big time throws and then you see a ball that isn't anywhere near his target and you just scratch your head.  I can't overlook this fault with Cook.  I think this will stay with him throughout his NFL career.

He has everything in terms of baseline size, etc.  That is fine by me.  I LOVE that he makes NFL throws and completely agree with all of your points pertaining to his strengths but I don't think accuracy can be taught.  This is the deal breaker for me with Cook.  The personality quirks might be more sensational to others but my bottom line with Cook is accuracy.  

A few years ago, Pittsburgh's GM said he looks for a completion percentage of over 63% for any college QB and he would red flag anyone below 61%, that stuck with me.  Jake Locker is a guy that immediately comes to mind.  Big guy, great arm, tough, etc, poor accuracy and he never overcame that fault in the NFL.  Other guys have accuracy issues with certain throws that they never overcame like a Brady Quinn who has the worst deep ball accuracy I've ever seen.  

Cook is inconsistent with his accuracy and that is mind boggling because you see the tight window throws, you see the really impressive deep out NFL big time throws and then you see a ball that isn't anywhere near his target and you just scratch your head.  I can't overlook this fault with Cook.  I think this will stay with him throughout his NFL career.
The accuracy issues worry me as well.  Have heard the same thing about Hackenberg.

There are some warts, for sure. Time can cure his maturity and shoulder issues, not his accuracy. He tends to not set his feet when he throws late in his progressions, when he gets to 3rd-4th read or throwing to the rbs (of all things). The qbs around him have issues too. I think he makes sense for a team like Denver or Baltimore, a backup that fits the system. Could win a game for you. Could manage the right team with success. I don't expect a prolific career. If I'm Denver and I think Sanchez is too mistake prone I have to look at him at the end of rd 1 (or trade back into early rd 2 sounds better), over the qbs available. Unique situation tho, if they don't like him then he could free fall. With all the bad qb situations in the nfl it seems like there aren't a lot of jobs up for grabs.

Some good information in this video.

I snipped out some.

This video went over the top QB prospects comparing their stats from the 2015 season but there wasn't enough data from Carson Wentz since he got injured last year so I only grabbed the information from, Cook, Lynch, and Goff.  Go to the link to see the video, good stuff here.

https://realfootballnetwork.com/2016/04/21/the-rest-of-the-qb-class/

Connor Cook completion percentage metrics

QBs under pressure comparative metrics
- Facing 3 or less pass rushers -

Connor Cook 52.4%
Jared Goff 56.9%
Paxton Lynch 70.9%

- Facing 4 pass rushers -
Connor Cook 60.4%
Jared Goff 67.3%
Paxton Lynch 65.7%

- Facing 5 pass rushers -
Connor Cook 58.7%
Jared Goff 62.6%
Paxton Lynch 69.6%

- Facing 6 pass rushers -
Connor Cook 35.4%
Jared Goff 60.6%
Paxton Lynch 50.0%

This shows that Jared Goff stands tall in the pocket and handles pressure well but it says the opposite for Connor Cook.

Where Cook stands out is with his deep ball accuracy, passes over 20 yards.
- QB completion on deep pass attempts 21+ yards -
Connor Cook 47.4%
Jared Goff 43.8%
Paxton Lynch 44.9%

Cook struggled with his accuracy on the more commonly attempted shorter routes
- QB completion on intermediate pass attempts 11-20 yards -
Connor Cook 54.0%
Jared Goff 58.8%
Paxton Lynch 54.6%

- QB completion on short pass attempts 0-10 yards -
Connor Cook 56.3%
Jared Goff 66.7%
Paxton Lynch 67.7%

- QB completion on pass attempts behind the line of scrimmage 0 to -10 yards -
Connor Cook 75.6%
Jared Goff 89.5%
Paxton Lynch 86.1%

--------

You can see a couple of glaring red flags on accuracy for Cook, especially when he's under pressure and with his short passing game.  Derrick Anderson had terrible short yardage accuracy and he's never overcome that weakness in his game.  Cook has two red flags, short game accuracy and he obviously struggles when he faces more than 5 pass rushers so you'd have to logically conclude he would struggle when faced with sophisticated blitz packages that he would be served in the NFL.

There are some warts, for sure. Time can cure his maturity and shoulder issues, not his accuracy. He tends to not set his feet when he throws late in his progressions, when he gets to 3rd-4th read or throwing to the rbs (of all things). The qbs around him have issues too. I think he makes sense for a team like Denver or Baltimore, a backup that fits the system. Could win a game for you. Could manage the right team with success. I don't expect a prolific career. If I'm Denver and I think Sanchez is too mistake prone I have to look at him at the end of rd 1 (or trade back into early rd 2 sounds better), over the qbs available. Unique situation tho, if they don't like him then he could free fall. With all the bad qb situations in the nfl it seems like there aren't a lot of jobs up for grabs.
A team doesn't draft a backup at the end of rd 1 or beginning of round 2, no matter how desperate they are.  If he ends up being drafted that high, they envision him as a starter.

Agree that you don't draft a backup then but Denver may need him to start, and I see him being more pro ready than most in this class with a lower ceiling career wise. He makes sense as a backup for a team like Baltimore, or a similar offense, later on if he starts to fall. 

Nice  post with the passing metrics, it really illustrates the issue. If that's for the 2015 season id be curious as to his splits for the 14 season.

Agree that you don't draft a backup then but Denver may need him to start, and I see him being more pro ready than most in this class with a lower ceiling career wise. He makes sense as a backup for a team like Baltimore, or a similar offense, later on if he starts to fall. 

Nice  post with the passing metrics, it really illustrates the issue. If that's for the 2015 season id be curious as to his splits for the 14 season.

Cook might be a good fit with his deep ball accuracy in a vertical passing attack like with Norv Turner in Minnesota backing up Teddy.  

The only reason i bring up Denver is the situation and need. He seems like backup talent unless his shoulder is to blame and he has a stronger arm than demonstrated. For a team with ?? At qb and a Super Bowl window open now he could make sense if Denver reached. He also may be there in the 2nd or 3rd.

The only reason i bring up Denver is the situation and need. He seems like backup talent unless his shoulder is to blame and he has a stronger arm than demonstrated. For a team with ?? At qb and a Super Bowl window open now he could make sense if Denver reached. He also may be there in the 2nd or 3rd.

I don't know if he's the best fit for a Gary Kubiak offense that is predicated on quick/short passing attack with play-action and a roll-boot staple.  Just doesn't feel like a good fit especially if they keep quick-hitting short gimme plays that Peyton used but I do know Kubiak's system has a moving pocket so the best fit is someone who can move and sell play-action.  

Users who are viewing this thread