What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone do any pickling? (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
So I came into some fresh okra yesterday, and was trying to decide what to do with it...I was gonna freeze some for gumbo, and maybe stew some w/tomatoes...then after remembering that I love pickled okra on pulled pork nachos in place of jalapenos and as a yummy, tangy snack as well, I decided to look up pickling recipes. And then I picked em. Very simple. I already had some canning jars, vinegar, and spices, and in 15 minutes I had a couple quart jars of okra pickling in the pantry.

Then I decided I might as well make some pickles today, so I got some small cukes, cut em into spears, and theyre pickling now, too (just a single jar). Thinking about doing some eggs...and maybe some fresh green beans and carrots (theyre great as bloody Mary garnishes and on relish trays).

Anyone here do any pickling?

Last edited by a moderator:
My pickling experience is limited to red onions for use in salads and Mexican torta sandwiches I make but I'm open to branching out.

I really cant wait to see how the okra turns out...theyre nice, big pods...not sure exactly how long I need to wait, but Im gonna give em like a week.

I cold pickle onions, cucumber and carrots to have with Mexican food and Asian dishes. I have slightly different recipes for those different styles.

I make a pretty good quick cucumber kimchee too.

We also pickle asparagus, cauliflower, Anaheim peppers, onions, and pickling cucumbers, in some combination. I like to add cayenne, red pepper flakes and Sriracha, in addition to vinegar, salt and dill.

My wife likes sweet pickles, but they are an abomination in my book.

I really cant wait to see how the okra turns out...theyre nice, big pods...not sure exactly how long I need to wait, but Im gonna give em like a week.
A week is probably fine. I think our recipe calls for 10-14 days.

The key thing I've found is to put them in the refrigerator and get them good and cold before you open them.

I cold pickle onions, cucumber and carrots to have with Mexican food and Asian dishes. I have slightly different recipes for those different styles.

I make a pretty good quick cucumber kimchee too.

We also pickle asparagus, cauliflower, Anaheim peppers, onions, and pickling cucumbers, in some combination. I like to add cayenne, red pepper flakes and Sriracha, in addition to vinegar, salt and dill.

My wife likes sweet pickles, but they are an abomination in my book.
Cuke kimchee recipe please!

I'll usually pickle fresh snap peas once a year.

I haven't pickled any myself, but I love pickled turnips in middle eastern food. I go crazy for those things.

Hopefully not too big. A few years ago, we grew okra in our garden. first time I had ever grown it. i was psyched when those little guys grew and grew and grew. when we picked them, they were like 8-10 inches long. not good. #### tasted like woody cardboard

Wingnut if you have ever made it to a Pappas restaurant in the Bay Area they have a great pickled octopus.

Hopefully not too big. A few years ago, we grew okra in our garden. first time I had ever grown it. i was psyched when those little guys grew and grew and grew. when we picked them, they were like 8-10 inches long.not good. #### tasted like woody cardboard
Nah theyre not huge, and I ate a few before I pickled the rest, they were relly good.

Do kosher dills every year -- with varying levels of heat. Multiple habaneros FTW. Vastly prefer "refrigerator style" pickles to the boiled shelf stable kind for snap and flavor. Worth giving up the bottom shelf of the beer fridge for 6 months / year. Easily.

I enjoy pickling, but haven't done it lately. Big fan of daikon and red radishes. I have a great pickled ramp recipe floating around somewhere too.

Green tomatoes (sliced thin) make great dill pickles. I just do refrigerator pickles with a packaged pickling mix and a few red pepper flakes.

I also have a good Asianed pickle recipe that I'll find and post

Green tomatoes (sliced thin) make great dill pickles. I just do refrigerator pickles with a packaged pickling mix and a few red pepper flakes.

I also have a good Asianed pickle recipe that I'll find and post
Love pickled green maters!

The okra turned out great. Just did a jar of refrigerator pickles for the hell of it (garlic/dill/horseradish). I used prepared horseradish so Im not sure how much flavor Ill get, but Ill find out in a few days.

in NC we have great weather to grow stuff and this year we decided to drop some cukes. well, they grew like crazy, so I decided to make pickles. they came out pretty awesome, I used a vinegar, water, pickling spice blend, with garlic, dill and onions. added some Italian red chilis. I made some spears and whole ones......I just used a whole pickle and sliced it to make fried pickle chips.

not sure if I pickle other veggies, but this is a start......

Holy crap the fridge pickles are awesome. The horseradish gives a little kick on the back end. They're a little salty so next time I'll cut the salt in half, but otherwise they're great. Cukes to pickles in 2 days.

http://i.imgur.com/wBgxKP6.jpg

Holy crap the fridge pickles are awesome. The horseradish gives a little kick on the back end. They're a little salty so next time I'll cut the salt in half, but otherwise they're great. Cukes to pickles in 2 days.

What means fridge pickles...you still have to boil them, right?
Not really.I put the spices/seasonings into a quart jar (some dill, crushed garlic, a few crushed peppercorns)...then pack the cukes (speared or halved lengthwise) into the jar.

On stove, bring 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 TBSP salt to a simmer (to dissolve salt). Pour over cukes in jar, leaving about 1/4 inch of space. Put lid on jar. Let sit on counter til room temp (shake jar occasionally). Then put in fridge. 24-48 hours later, enjoy.

What means fridge pickles...you still have to boil them, right?
Not really.I put the spices/seasonings into a quart jar (some dill, crushed garlic, a few crushed peppercorns)...then pack the cukes (speared or halved lengthwise) into the jar.

On stove, bring 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 TBSP salt to a simmer (to dissolve salt). Pour over cukes in jar, leaving about 1/4 inch of space. Put lid on jar. Let sit on counter til room temp (shake jar occasionally). Then put in fridge. 24-48 hours later, enjoy.
Cool, thanks. Wanting to try this, but never knew how.

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]Target veggies for ~4 quarts[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]1 large Daikon[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]6-7 medium carrots[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]½ C Sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]¼ C Salt[/SIZE]

Brine for 4 quarts

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]3 C water[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]1 ½ C plain rice vinegar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]1 ½ C white vinegar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]1 ½ C sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]3 limes, halved and juiced[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]Spices (per quart)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]3 cloves garlic[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]2 scallions - white part whole, green part chopped[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]2 sprigs mint[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]2 T Sriracha [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]¼ C Fish sauce [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]Cut daikon and carrots into matchsticks (or coarse shred in food processor). Toss with sugar/salt mix, let stand 5-7 minutes until softened. Daikon and carrot should bend double without breaking. Rinse and drain, then pack into jars along with spices.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]Bring brine to a boil with lime halves, stirring to dissolve sugar. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666666666667px]Run hot water over the outside of the jars to temper them, then pour hot brine into jars. Close with lids, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.[/SIZE]

I like to use 2:1 vinegar:water for extra tartness.

Made some siracha garlic jalepeno pickles last night.

My other favorite is fresh mexican corn. Corn, japs, red onion, cilantro. Cover with equal parts vinegar/water/lime juice + salt/pepper/sugar/ground cumin to taste.

Man...just cracked my 2nd jar of okra...its fantastic. I hope I can remember the exact recipe.

My 2nd jar of pickles, not so much...kind of bland. Not sure what I did different than the first batch.

3 batches of eggs, every one has been great. The secret I think is lots of Tabasco.

I have some pickled, roasted beets that I did a few months back. Every couple of weeks I will boil half a dozen eggs and toss em in there to soak up all that spicy, salty goodness.

Was just gifted with some pickled onions to go with a huge pot of red beans from an old family friend. I thought these would be finely chopped onions in the red beans. Nope it was a whole jar, whole onions, yep.

Picked up some fresh okra and asparagus at a farmers market. Gonna pickle some of the asparagus and do a couple different variations of okra - one regular, one spicy, and one sweet (think bread and butter pickles). Will report back when finished.

Cracked the spicy okra a few days ago, it turned out great, it picled up the heat from the garlic and hot peppers perfectly. Theyll be great on nachos. The asparagus turned out really good too. Here's a pic of the day I canned em, and the asparagus today.

http://i.imgur.com/WB6l1Uw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BSpFSvD.jpg

Time to pick up some green beans and cukes.

Cracked the spicy okra a few days ago, it turned out great, it picled up the heat from the garlic and hot peppers perfectly. Theyll be great on nachos. The asparagus turned out really good too. Here's a pic of the day I canned em, and the asparagus today.

http://i.imgur.com/WB6l1Uw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BSpFSvD.jpg

Time to pick up some green beans and cukes.
:thumbup:   Think I might give the asparagus a try. What's your recipe for that?

I recently pickled some bok choy and carrots (added some asian flair) and made some sauerkraut (kinda like pickling?)

E-Z Glider said:
:thumbup:   Think I might give the asparagus a try. What's your recipe for that?

I recently pickled some bok choy and carrots (added some asian flair) and made some sauerkraut (kinda like pickling?)
The asparagus I did simple water - salt - white vinegar - dill - garlic.

I wanna look into making kimchi too.

Users who are viewing this thread