What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Vince Mayle, WR, Browns (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
Let me start out by saying by no means do I feel he is a stud. But, I'm seeing him go completely undrafted in rookie draft results and I'm not understanding why.

- Opportunity: 4th round draft pick by the Browns who have below average competition at WR (Brian Hartline, Dwayne Bowe and Andrew Hawkins)

- Size: 6-2, 224lbs

- Film: Looks pretty decent from my eyes. Seems to be an athletic hands catcher with decent high-point catch ability. Not a burner, but adequate speed for that size (4.5-4.65 range)....has TD catches of 72, 81 and 90 yrs over last two season so needs to have some above average game speed to pull that off. Was a Biletnikof Award semi-finalist this past season.

- Upside: Was a former JUCO basketball player and has only played football for 3 years.

He did hurt his thumb at the Senior Bowl and has had recent surgery, so not taking part in rookie minicamps, but is expected to be fine for start of training camp.

Soooo, what am I missing here?

ETA: highlight vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdS7O1KPLA

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropping the ball: Sixteen receivers were taken before Mayle. The reason: He drops passes too often. ProFootballFocus.com had him with 19 drops last season, by far the most in the nation (second highest had 12). Mayle was targeted 163 times, 12.5 per game, according to PFF. To his credit, Mayle said being taken in the fourth round when he had outstanding production was humbling and shows he has something to work on. That’s the right thing to say.

Old, 15% drop rate.
- Will be 24yrs old in NFL rookie season. Old for a rookie, yes. Not old for a WR with an immediate opportunity to see the field.

- Had 106 receptions this past season and four career 10+ catch games. Only has been playing football for 3yrs.

Old, 15% drop rate.
- Will be 24yrs old in NFL rookie season. Old for a rookie, yes. Not old for a WR with an immediate opportunity to see the field.

- Had 106 receptions this past season and four career 10+ catch games. Only has been playing football for 3yrs.
Here are the best Rookie seasons for 24-year old WRs at least 6-2 220lbs drafted in the 4th round or later since 1984: http://pfref.com/tiny/f6hlZ

His raw stats look good because his team passed so often, but he only had 25.9% of the receiving yards and 20% of the receiving TDs. Those are not very good numbers.

He simply doesn't project very well. Therefore, won't be of much value in Dynasty. Can easily be replaced by someone younger and more talented next year.

(Rotoworld)Browns fourth-round WR Vince Mayle (broken thumb) is expected to be a full-go for training camp.

Analysis: Mayle is currently in a soft cast after undergoing a procedure to insert a screw in his thumb. He's doing everything at OTAs except catching the football.

Old, 15% drop rate.

Here are the best Rookie seasons for 24-year old WRs at least 6-2 220lbs drafted in the 4th round or later since 1984: http://pfref.com/tiny/f6hlZ

His raw stats look good because his team passed so often, but he only had 25.9% of the receiving yards and 20% of the receiving TDs. Those are not very good numbers.

He simply doesn't project very well. Therefore, won't be of much value in Dynasty. Can easily be replaced by someone younger and more talented next year.
If you use those tight parameters it doesn't look good but Colston was 23 yo, 6-4 5/8, 225, 7th round, and Mike Williams was 23 yo, 6-1 1/2, 221, 4th round.

The good news about rostering Mayle is that you can dump him after the season if he doesn't show anything.

ETA: drop rate is a little less important to me when a guy catches 106 passes since getting that many targets shows they trust him to catch the ball.

Took him as a flyer in the 4th round.

Why the hell not? Hes BIG and McCown LOVES big
Exactly. It's not like they have a receiver like Josh Gordon.

On another note. I think the Browns' drafts would go better with Costner at the helm. No way he would have drafted Johnny Football. :P

his situation and skill set make him kind of like a poor man's KB from last year- older, huge, raw, problems with drops, and tons of opportunity. KB was bigger, drafted higher, had a better qb and less competition, and is a better athlete, so I have no idea if Mayle has any chance to be successful. The 4th seems like a worthwhile place to take a shot to find out though.

How many games do you expect McCown to start for the Browns over the rest of his career?

I actually think he was overdrafted by the Browns - he wasn't in the top 19 WRs across the 18 pre-draft rankings I charted. I think drafting him in the 4th in rookie drafts is way too high.

That said, I picked him up in 3 of my 4 dynasties as a late 6th or cheap FA. Maybe the Browns know what they're doing...

How many games do you expect McCown to start for the Browns over the rest of his career?

I actually think he was overdrafted by the Browns - he wasn't in the top 19 WRs across the 18 pre-draft rankings I charted. I think drafting him in the 4th in rookie drafts is way too high.

That said, I picked him up in 3 of my 4 dynasties as a late 6th or cheap FA. Maybe the Browns know what they're doing...
mid 40th pick is "overdrafted"? come on, man.

also, you know the guy backing up mccown... who may even surpass him as the starter....

he likes big WRs too. a lot. a lotttttttttt

Rotoworld:

Browns fourth-round WR Vince Mayle has been "plagued" by drops thus far in camp.

It's not a surprise. Mayle was a drop machine in the Pac 12, and only recently resumed catching passes after recovering from a broken pinkie. A pedestrian athlete, Mayle would probably benefit from a year on the practice squad, but his fourth-round status all but assures he'll crack the 53-man roster.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal
Aug 4 - 7:48 PM

LOL at the Browns. 2 years worth of top flight rookie WRs available and the best they could do was waste a 4th on a stone handed bum. Worst run franchise and that is saying a lot with the Raiders still in the league.

LOL at the Browns. 2 years worth of top flight rookie WRs available and the best they could do was waste a 4th on a stone handed bum. Worst run franchise and that is saying a lot with the Raiders still in the league.
Couldn't agree more. Theeee worst.

Although they did extract a high draft pick for Trent Richardson, which was a total coup.

Users who are viewing this thread