What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade your team's draft from 2012 (1 Viewer)

Amazing how John Schneider has crushed the draft. Hard to find another team that has had a better three year run in the draft. I'm sure it's happened, but not recently and likely not any of the current GMs in the league.

AZ Cards - 2012 draft

1.13 Michael Floyd - Notre Dame - B+ - Possible probowl type of player if he can get his head screwed on straight. Need more consistent QB play as well.

3.17 Jamel Fleming DB Oaklahoma - Never quite lived up to the draft spot - C-/D+

4.17 Bobby Massie - T Mississippi - C+/B- Much improved Cards line helped by Massie

5.16 Senio Kelemete - T Washington - Never was a productive player. practice squad type of player. - D-
6.7 Justin Bethel - DB Presbyterian - B-/C+ - Deep DB core opposite the best DB in the game Peterson. Allows for safety help often. Still serviceable.

6.15 Ryan Lindley QB - SD State - Flyer that has not done much - Started a playoff game last year due to injury - Looked completely lost - F

7.36 Nate Potter - T - Boise State - D - Played a few games then was hurt.

Players still with team: 4
Starters: 4
Potential future starters: 3/4
Pro-bowls: 0

Overall - B-

Last edited by a moderator:
sho nuff said:
Green Bay Packers 2012 draft

1.28 Nick Perry LB USC

2.19 Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State

2.30 Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt

4.37 Mike Daniels DT Iowa

4.38 Jeron McMillian DB Maine

5.28 Terrell Manning LB NC State

7.34 Andrew Datko OT Florida State

7.36 BJ Coleman QB Tennessee-Chattanooga

Players still with team: 3

Starters: 2

Potential future starters: 2

Positives: Getting 2 quality starters in the late 2nd and 3rd rounds is good. Lots of teams botch those picks. Casey Hayward looked stellar as a rookie, then struggled with injuries. But he's shown he can play. Mike Daniels has been a very solid starter on the D-line.

Negatives: Nick Perry was a bad pick from the beginning. And we all knew it. He was a tweener who was a better fit at DE, but we took him in the 1st and tried to fit him into a 3-4 OLB. (like we didn't already learn that lesson with Aaron Kampman.....fike) Jerel Worthy was a terrible, blown 2nd round pick. We could say it was injuries, but he looked lazy & lost from the beginning. Again, something we should have known. When will teams stop drafting "low motor" defensive linemen? It just doesn't work. Most of this draft class is off the team - and let's face it, most of them are out of the NFL. That says it all.

Grade: D+
Little harsh... I think it's more in the C range. Hayward and Daniels that late, given their performance/potential, were home runs. Not his best draft, but I don't think it was that much below average for an NFL draft. First round busts alone are in the ~40% range, second round closer to 50%. The fact that two of the first three picks were hits is above average.

At the time, Perry was the obvious pick. Everyone had him going to the Packers. He had the length/speed to close in on the running QBs that were all the rage a few years ago, but the size to take on edge blockers.

It sure would have been nice to use that Perry pick on one of the 2nd round LBs, though .... look at all those great ILBs .... Bobby Wagner, Lavante David, Mychal Kendricks, Zach Brown, Courtney Upshaw. Man, I would take any of those guys right now over Perry, and it would completely solidify our LB core against the run.
Would agree with a lot of this.

Would like to go back to the draft and see how many thought Perry was really bad at the time...or Worthy.

And I think Daniels makes this draft ok...Hayward can make it a bit better than OK and its more like a typical Thompson draft.

Get picks...throw a bunch at the wall, and hope 2-3 are quality starters years down the road.

Also...Perry, while not first round great at all...has come on to at least contribute some at this point. So not full on bust level. He and Neal being able to platoon some at OLB give them the chance to move Clay inside.
I'd grade the draft higher because of Daniels.

Now if Thompson had picked some WR's...

AZ Cards - 2012 draft

1.13 Michael Floyd - Notre Dame - B+ - Possible probowl type of player if he can get his head screwed on straight. Need more consistent QB play as well.

3.17 Jamel Fleming DB Oaklahoma - Never quite lived up to the draft spot - C-/D+

4.17 Bobby Massie - T Mississippi - C+/B- Much improved Cards line helped by Massie

5.16 Senio Kelemete - T Washington - Never was a productive player. practice squad type of player. - D-

6.7 Justin Bethel - DB Presbyterian - B-/C+ - Deep DB core opposite the best DB in the game Peterson. Allows for safety help often. Still serviceable.

6.15 Ryan Lindley QB - SD State - Flyer that has not done much - Started a playoff game last year due to injury - Looked completely lost - F

7.36 Nate Potter - T - Boise State - D - Played a few games then was hurt.

Players still with team: 4

Potential future starters: 3/4

Overall - B-
Bethel is probably the best ST player in the NFL and has made 2 pro-bowls.

Would like to go back and change my Seattle grade here to an A+ instead of an A. Seahawks crushed this draft with quality talent top to bottom. 

Picks: Round 1 (9): Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College

Round 2 (40): Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State

Round 4 (103): Frank Alexander, DE, Oklahoma

Round 4 (104): Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas

Round 5 (143): Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina

Round 6 (207): Brad Nortman, P, Wisconsin

Round 7 (216): D.J. Campbell, FS, California

Players still with team: 5
Potential future starters: 1
Pro-bowls: 2

Positives: Kuechly all by himself makes this draft. He's been fantastic and a monster on defense. For a 5th and 6th round, a starting CB and P is pretty solid. Four starters including a multi-year pro-bowler and a decent backup isn't a bad draft. If Alexander and Silatolu are healthy this year, it is a solid draft.

Negatives: Honestly, not that many. 4 starters and Alexander has potential. The biggest negative is that Alexander and Silatolu have been hurt. Silatolu has been a starter every time he's been healthy. They both missed most of 2014, so their results are a little incomplete.

Grade: B+
Not sure how to ratchet this up or down now that Norman and Nortman are gone. For the 4 years, this draft may only have 3 hits, but according to PFF, the Panthers got the highest graded LB in their history of rankings and a CB who was top 5 the last couple years (I think he ranked #1 this year). That is two great hits. I'd say that is an A- for pure quality impacts, that had a huge part in Carolina's best season ever at 17-2. Losing Norman sucks, but it was a good draft to get two All-Pro/top guys at their respective positions.

1 1 20 20 Kendall Wright WR Baylor
2 2 20 52 Zach Brown LB North Carolina
3 3 19 82 Mike Martin DT Michigan
4 4 20 115 Coty Sensabaugh DB Clemson
5 5 10 145 Taylor Thompson TE Southern Methodist
6 6 20 190 Markelle Martin DB Oklahoma State
7 7 4 211 Scott Solomon DE Rice

Two starters - Wright and Brown (I'd bet on Brown starting though it isn't a lock), though neither have done exceptionally well.
Three role players still with the team who haven't developed into anything more.
One player who's in Cleveland as a backup (Solomon)
And I'm pretty sure Markelle Martin is out of the NFL.

No pro-bowls, though I think Wright has a chance with a better QB.

Positives? Wright has done alright and Brown is solid when healthy. Three role players are helpful but not a lot of positives here.
Negatives? Honestly, this class is about what fans should expect from any given year (if Brown were healthy). But you aren't going to win in the NFL with these types of draft classes.

I'll give the class a B- overall for no real busts but no standouts. Again, this class is almost the textbook as to what fans should expect - a good starter in the 1st and 2nd, role players later, no hidden gems but 5 / 7 are contributors.
Yeah the average NFL player plays 3-4 years. That's what they're looking for. 10 is great, one or less than one is a very bad pick.

Thompson is a common theme with the Titans and rest of NFL. He was a very good college DE, Titans had a need for a DE and were insistent on him playing an h-back TE role. Projects are fine but a need is a need. He should have played some snaps at DE. Ya gotta see what you've got in game action. If the DEs are not getting done there is literally no risk.

Browns QB talk all last year, yet there's Pryor the former QB. If he WAS 3rd string QB, McCown and Manziel would have been pulled for him to play. Just because he's learning WR doesn't mean your QBs should be brutal. Try it!

Titans struggled with return guys all year- Perrish Cox was an outstanding return guy in college and DB who returned INTs for touchdowns like Deion- once he caught it, it was showtime. 

There's really a long long list. It shouldn't be "never again" but instead "just in case" or "why not." A lot of OLBs played DE in HS and college- they can't do that on 3rd and long?

I can understand JJ Watt is the Texans best TE (you know he is) but they don't want him hurt. Generally, there's a ton of non-star players though that this fear doesn't apply to.

In a healthy business type manner, coaches should be fired based on previous drafts. We always look at GMs in this regard. I think the NFL is littered with players that do well year 1 (and maybe year two) but not so much after that. That is totally on the coaches to develop a player. They got a guy capable of playing in the NFL as evidenced by first year or two. If he "stinks" in year three, that is on you, coach.

I'm sure this happens some but I don't read about it often enough so it's not so public. It'll fix itself too because coaches can coach. If they disregarded development or inadvertently gave all their attention to three guys while three others didn't develop...they'll fix it. Just let this "necessary evil" play out.

Daniels continues to make that draft look better than it was.  Perry actually keeps improving a bit too.  Switch his draft spot and Daniels and it probably looks better.

looks like no one did the Broncos, so here goes:

Denver Broncos 2012 draft

2.36: Derek Wolfe

2.57: Brock Osweiler

3.67: Ronnie Hillman

4.101 Omar Bolden

4.108: Phillip Blake

5.137:Malik Jackson

6.188: Danny Trevathan

UDFA: Aaron Brewer (LS), Steven Johnson (LB) were both members of the SB50 squad.  Duke Ihenacho also made the team as a UDFA, started 14 games in 2013, and left for greener pastures in WAS.

Players still with team*: 6

Starters*: 4

potential future starters*: 5

pro-bowls: 0 (yet)

*as of 2015 season, to be consistent with previous posts

Who knew at the time that this would be the foundation to a SB winning defense.  Derek Wolfe really came on last year, registering 5.5 sacks in 12 games.  Wolfe was the foundation of a Broncos defensive line which led the league in sacks and rushing AND passing YPA.  Wolfe signed a second contract averaging $9m/year for 4 years.

Brock Osweiler was the back-up and insurance policy for PFM.  he obviously didn't play much, but he did tally up a record of 5-2, including key wins vs NE and CIN.  He signed a second contract averaging $18M/year for 4 years.

Ronnie Hillman was a starter and key role player for 4 years.  While I think he still has some physical maturation (he was the youngest player in the league when he was drafted), he really started to put it together last year.  He signed a second deal worth $2m for one year.

Omar Bolden has been a standout special teams player and key back-up.  he signed his second contract ($760k, one year) with Chicago to play for John Fox again.

Philip Blake is the only guy from this draft class to not make the team.

Malik Jackson, like Derek Wolfe, was a key player on a championship defense.  Malik developed into a stout pass-rusher from the interior defensive line.  We all know he was the key free-agent of 2016, signing a $14M/year, 6 year deal with Jacksonville.

Danny Trevathan was a starter in 2013-2015 (although injured in 2014).  He led the team in tackles (total + assist), despite playing 15 games.  He signed a second contract with Chicago for $6m/year for 4 years.

I'll give this an overall grade of A+.  any time you can get 4 starters plus a back-up QB (which is a position just as important as starter) on a team that wins the SB, you are doing something right.  Specifically, 3 starters on an all-time top 10 defense is fantastic.  The pro-bowls for guys like Wolfe, Malik, and Trevathan haven't been there yet but they will come.

looks like no one did the Broncos, so here goes:

Denver Broncos 2012 draft

2.36: Derek Wolfe

2.57: Brock Osweiler

3.67: Ronnie Hillman

4.101 Omar Bolden

4.108: Phillip Blake

5.137:Malik Jackson

6.188: Danny Trevathan

UDFA: Aaron Brewer (LS), Steven Johnson (LB) were both members of the SB50 squad.  Duke Ihenacho also made the team as a UDFA, started 14 games in 2013, and left for greener pastures in WAS.

Players still with team*: 6

Starters*: 4

potential future starters*: 5

pro-bowls: 0 (yet)

*as of 2015 season, to be consistent with previous posts

Who knew at the time that this would be the foundation to a SB winning defense.  Derek Wolfe really came on last year, registering 5.5 sacks in 12 games.  Wolfe was the foundation of a Broncos defensive line which led the league in sacks and rushing AND passing YPA.  Wolfe signed a second contract averaging $9m/year for 4 years.

Brock Osweiler was the back-up and insurance policy for PFM.  he obviously didn't play much, but he did tally up a record of 5-2, including key wins vs NE and CIN.  He signed a second contract averaging $18M/year for 4 years.

Ronnie Hillman was a starter and key role player for 4 years.  While I think he still has some physical maturation (he was the youngest player in the league when he was drafted), he really started to put it together last year.  He signed a second deal worth $2m for one year.

Omar Bolden has been a standout special teams player and key back-up.  he signed his second contract ($760k, one year) with Chicago to play for John Fox again.

Philip Blake is the only guy from this draft class to not make the team.

Malik Jackson, like Derek Wolfe, was a key player on a championship defense.  Malik developed into a stout pass-rusher from the interior defensive line.  We all know he was the key free-agent of 2016, signing a $14M/year, 6 year deal with Jacksonville.

Danny Trevathan was a starter in 2013-2015 (although injured in 2014).  He led the team in tackles (total + assist), despite playing 15 games.  He signed a second contract with Chicago for $6m/year for 4 years.

I'll give this an overall grade of A+.  any time you can get 4 starters plus a back-up QB (which is a position just as important as starter) on a team that wins the SB, you are doing something right.  Specifically, 3 starters on an all-time top 10 defense is fantastic.  The pro-bowls for guys like Wolfe, Malik, and Trevathan haven't been there yet but they will come.
Heck of a draft, especially late.

Heck of a draft, especially late.
yup.  As you noted, this is the kind of draft that can set you up for championships.  it's funny because no one saw this in 2012.  this draft was almost universally panned:  no one knew who Wolfe was, Osweiler - why waste a high pick to back up Manning, and the rest were a bunch of scrubs.

the success of this draft is why the Broncos are now being lambasted in free-agency.  Elway simply couldn't afford to keep all of these guys.  The reality of the situation is, if you have a good team and you draft well, 4 years after the draft you will have to let talented players walk. 

I posted the contract numbers above because I think it's pretty remarkable. 6 of 7 draftees signed a second contract for an average value of $8.3M/year.  That's incredible.  Along with that, the Broncos stand to gain 2 3rds and a 5th round compensatory picks in 2017 based on these guys leaving.

yup.  As you noted, this is the kind of draft that can set you up for championships.  it's funny because no one saw this in 2012.  this draft was almost universally panned:  no one knew who Wolfe was, Osweiler - why waste a high pick to back up Manning, and the rest were a bunch of scrubs.

the success of this draft is why the Broncos are now being lambasted in free-agency.  Elway simply couldn't afford to keep all of these guys.  The reality of the situation is, if you have a good team and you draft well, 4 years after the draft you will have to let talented players walk. 

I posted the contract numbers above because I think it's pretty remarkable. 6 of 7 draftees signed a second contract for an average value of $8.3M/year.  That's incredible.  Along with that, the Broncos stand to gain 2 3rds and a 5th round compensatory picks in 2017 based on these guys leaving.
Hey, Panthers saw the same thing. When they had a chance to think about Norman they realized what it meant to sign him versus having money to sign others. Check out the 2013 draft thread. Our 2013 - 2015 drafts were great drafts. In 2014, our first 5 picks have turned into 5 starters on the 2016 squad. That is incredible and for as great as Cam, Kuechly, Davis and Olsen have been, those 3 drafts are the reason why we should have won it all last year (ugh, still hurts).

it's funny because no one saw this in 2012.  this draft was almost universally panned:

Another solid reason why we ought to spend more time in threads like this instead. Every "Grading your team's draft" that comes out days after a draft makes me cringe. 

The same thing was said of Seattle's draft that led to their first super bowl win. They got Fs across the board because everyone thought Irvin was a reach and Wilson was a wasted pick. 

Another solid reason why we ought to spend more time in threads like this instead. Every "Grading your team's draft" that comes out days after a draft makes me cringe. 

The same thing was said of Seattle's draft that led to their first super bowl win. They got Fs across the board because everyone thought Irvin was a reach and Wilson was a wasted pick. 
you know, you should wait 4 or 5 years before doing this.  After thinking about it a little bit, a good measurement for caliber of a draft class is how much the players signed their second contract for in aggregate.  If players of team A got, say, $100m and team B got $20m, you can clearly see that team A's players were better.

you know, you should wait 4 or 5 years before doing this.  After thinking about it a little bit, a good measurement for caliber of a draft class is how much the players signed their second contract for in aggregate.  If players of team A got, say, $100m and team B got $20m, you can clearly see that team A's players were better.
Solid idea. 

Steelers draft from 2012 was basically Meh in the middle with greatness in the beginning and end.  None of the mid-round picks are with the Steelers still except for Mike Adams, and that's just because his last season didn't count due to injury so they get him for another year, if they want.

Decastro was our 1st round pick and Beachum was our 7th.  A starting pro-bowl Guard and a left tackle who should've gone.  Sadly Beachum left for the Jags, but the value at pick 248 was amazing.

St. Louis Rams 2012 draft

1.14 Michael Brockers DE LSU B-/C+
2.1 Brian Quick WR Appalachian St. D until '14, could be salvaged into a B
2.7 Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama/Florida B-/C+, strong rookie trajectory unsustained, may walk in '16
2.18 Isaiah Pead RB Cincinatti F-
3.2 Trumaine Johnson CB/FS Montana B-/C+, if he regains starting gig, factoring in his pedigree
4.1 Chris Givens WR Wake Forest C-, regressed after rookie campaign, currently WR5, maybe gone in '16
5.15 Rokevious Watkins OT/G South Carolina F-, fat guys stay fat, linked with the Pead fiasco/debacle
6.1 Greg Zuerlein K Missouri Western B, not the best K in the league, but good value given pedigree
7.2 Aaron Brown LB Hawaii ? Hard to grade, a pick here is typically ticketed for practice squad or cut
7.45 Daryl Richardson, RB Abilene Christian B-, limited and later cut, but started briefy, good for a 7th rounder
7.25 Greg Scruggs DE Louisville? See 7.2

Note - RG3 trade archaeology, excavation and post-mortem

2012 was the first year of the Jeff Fisher, Les Snead regime. They kicked things off with a double trade down in the first round (after adding up the extra picks, I think their 11 picks that year may have been the most of any team in that draft class). First from 1.2 to 1.6 (WAS took RG3), which yielded additional first round picks in 2013 and 2014, and the 2012 2.7 pick. The intent was probably to draft WR Justin Blackmon, but JAX traded up from 1.7 to 1.5 (Peter King or Michael Silver were in the war room and reported that Fisher slammed his reading glasses down in frustration), sparing the Rams from a wasted pick. They than traded from 1.6 to 1.14 (DAL took CB Morris Claiborne, largely another wasted pick), bringing an extra 2.13 pick. At this point, they took starting DT Brockers (who they reportedly would have selected at 1.6 anyway, if unable to trade down). With the WAS 2.7 pick, they took starting CB Jenkins. With the DAL 2.13 pick, they had their eye on LBs Mychal Kendricks or Bobby Wagner, but fatefully wanted to generate an absent fifth round pick, and thought they could make a surgical move five picks down and still land one of them, trading with CHI. Wrong (they went in rapid succession with the next two picks to PHI and SEA). They disastrously settled for bust Pead, and the fifth round guard that prompted the move in the first place had weight problems and was cut before the season, never playing a down for the team. Adding insult to injury, CHI took Pro Bowl WR Alshon Jeffery with the vacated pick, and the Rams left Pro Bowl LB Lavonte David on the board, possibly because he was viewed as being "too small"? In 2013, they traded the WAS 1.22 to 1.30 (ATL took CB Marcus Trufant), taking starting LB Alec Ogletree, and yielding an extra 3.30 (WR3/4 Stedman Bailey) and 6.30 (packaged with another sixth round pick to trade up into the fifth round for 2013 and partial 2014 starting RB Zac Stacy). WAS imploded in 2013 due to an RG3 torn ACL injury and dysfunctional Mike Shanahan regime, so in a case of symmetry, the last legacy 2014 first round pick ended up being the 1.2, the same spot which kicked off the blockbuster trade in the first place. They took starting LT Greg Robinson.

The final tally from the trade*:

Brockers - starter
Jenkins - starter
Pead - ? ST player likely to be cut after a torn ACL ended his 2014 campaign early, massive dissapointment
Watkins - cut in 2012
Ogletree - starter B+, but technically can't grade for another year (as with Bailey and Stacy)
Bailey - WR3/4 B-/C+, possible future starter if Quick leaves in '16 and they don't draft somebody better
Stacy (actually one of the two sixths directly traced to the original trade) - former starter, now reserve C, had nearly 1,000 rushing yards as a rookie in just 12 games, albeit on volume and with limited explosiveness, already supplanted by 2014 third rounder Tre Mason, as well as UFA Benny Cunningham
Robinson - starter B+, see Ogletree, raw in pass pro, flashes dominant run blocking potential, freakish, generational athlete for a big man, more of a projection grade, revisit in 2017

So starters at all three levels of the defense, plus LT, and two reserves in Bailey and Stacy.

On a last sidebar, the Rams were oft criticized for continuing to back incumbent starting QB Bradford, instead of just taking RG3 themselves. With his injuries, struggles and being benched twice by two different HCs, this is not looking like as tenable a critique as it did three or even two years ago. They were also criticized for not using some of that multiple day one and day two draft picks windfall (counting, in some cases, trade downs of trade downs, they ended up with three firsts, two seconds and a third) on a developmental QB prospect to groom for the future. But PHI and Chip Kelly helped mitigate this last potential critique, as they leveraged Bradford (coming off of two straight torn ACLs) into starting QB Nick Foles, a 2016 second and bump from the fifth to fourth in 2015, not to mention a completely unexpected eight figures of salary cap relief. If Bradford is injured and misses the season, the Rams pay a conditional 2016 third, if he plays but less than 50% of the snaps, a conditional 2016 fourth, if he plays more than 50% of the snaps (or is traded) they owe nothing.

(Totals including RG3 trade in parentheses)
Players still with team: 6 (add four to this category [[so 10]] in Ogletree, Bailey, Stacy and Robinson)
Starters: 3-5, depending on if CB Johnson retains his job, and if you count K (5-7, add two to this in Ogletree and Robinson)
Potential future starters: 4-6 (6-8, see above Starters comments, plus add Bailey, could be as many as 8 starters - if a typical draft yields 2 starters on average, the 2012 draft, augmented by and amplified with the RG3 windfall, may end up effectively manufacturing 4 X that number)

Positives: Brockers has emerged as a solid starter, probably not Pro Bowl material. He plays more of a classic NT role, as an early down run stuffer and block eater, a position that doesn't usually rack up stats and gain a lot of notoriety, but enables his teammates to make plays and is very important and valuable to the scheme as a whole. ESPN beat reporter Nick Wagoner has already stated they are expected to pick up his fifth year option. Quick was looking like an epic, colossal bust before last year (an athletic, talented small school prospect with attendant level of competition and delayed development concerns which proved on the mark - think Jerome Simpson, who didn't "break out" until season three). Possibly due to vet, free agent big WR Kenny Britt taking him under his wing, he broke out in a big way, flashed impressive skills and was their most productive WR until a season-ending shoulder injury shelved him. He is in an important contract year, and the injury was complicated, so may keep him out of OTAs until training camp. Like any Rams WR, evaluation is complicated by the fact that they have been forced to play with backup QBs for the past season and a half. I was surprised when ex-TB HC Schiano (on ESPN or NFL Network) stated he would have taken Jenkins in the top 10 overall in a recent 2012 draft do-over segment. A stat noted his 6 defensive TDs since 2012 are the most in the NFL (two other players had 4). That is a little deceiving, in that I think 4-5 were from an admittedly very good rookie season, when he looked like a future elite playmaker. Since then, his play has been inconsistent, at times erratic in coverage, previously more prone to guessing, getting burnt and giving up big plays, too much cushion and open field tackling allergies, with sub-optimal size at 5'10", 200 lbs. Also in a contract year, I don't see them breaking the bank for him in 2016 (definitely not tagging him), perhaps re-signing him at the right price, wouldn't be a surprise to see another team valuing him more. He represented a lot of character, off-field risk at the time, too, but has generally stayed out of trouble (some scouts thought he was as good a man cover CB as there was in the draft, including Claiborne, otherwise he might have been a top 10-15 pick). Pead has been a catastrophic pick and unmitigated disaster by any measure, especially when viewed through the lens of their possibly instead having LBs Kendricks or Wagner. Ouch. CB Trumaine Johnson gradually emerged as a starter (like Quick, a small school prospect, in his case from Montana, where Jeff Fisher's son also played DB), but after a knee injury last year in pre-season, stellar rookie sixth rounder E.J. Gaines started most of the year, and he may have to earn his job back. Also in a contract year, not sure they would let BOTH Jenkins and Johnson walk, the latter offers better size at 6'2", 210 lbs., and the collegiate cross-trained safety is a more physical and surer tackler. So even if beat out by Gaines this year, he could reemerge as a starter in 2016. Givens, like Jenkins, may have peaked in 2012 (he had a 50+ yard reception in five straight games, breaking a rookie record held by former CHI great and Olympic caliber hurdler Willie Gault, which stood for about three decades). Not an adept route runner, doesn't have great hands, a well rounded skill set or complete game, has been too much of a one trick pony deep threat. Again like Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson and also 2013 first Ogletree, he represented some character red flags and off field concerns, but they have generally avoided incident (except for a hiccup a few years ago). Watkins was cut almost immediately due to a weight problem, as noted above. Greg "The Leg"/"Legatron" Zuerlein got off to an outstanding start, especially distance-wise, has since been somewhat inconsistent, but remains the starter, and the team thought enough of him to give him an extension. Brown bounced around on the roster as a reserve for a while. Richardson actually started in some games during 2012 and 2013, but washed out, par for the course with a seventh rounder. I think Scruggs never made the roster.

If you factor in the RG3 trade into the 2012 draft (how can you not :) ), and the Rams skirting potential disaster TWICE by not taking the injury-prone and underachieving QB, and again when JAX "sniped" troubled, unemployed alcoholic WR Blackmon, the trade worked out extremely well in helping fill out a roster largely devoid of talent on both sides of the ball. I think Fisher and Snead inherited a team that was 15-65 (.1875%) in the previous five seasons, which may have been not only the worst half decade stretch in NFL history, but one of the worst stretches ever in professional sports, period - after long time Harlem Globetrotter patsies, the Washington Generals? While no Pro Bowlers have been generated from the trade (yet), to fully and properly evauate the trade under the terms set forth here (after three years), we will have to wait until 2016 for Ogletree and Bailey, and 2017 for Robinson, in order to tally the final reckoning on the trade. Kind of like the gift that keeps on giving.

Negatives: Pead. Quick took a long time to develop. Unclear if second and third round CBs Jenkins or Johnson have played well enough to be be retained long term. More quantity than quality. Fisher and Snead have not drafted as many immediate difference makers as division rivals SEA and ARI during their tenure (though Robinson and Ogletree have high ceilings and upside, especially the former, 2014 second overall pick). But the numbers and roster turnover may finally be starting to reveal a cumulative, incremental impact, notably on defense, where the Rams were top 5 in the second half of last season, by metrics such as scoring defense (16.8 - 5th), rushing yards allowed per game (84.4 - 4th), sacks (26 - tied 4th) and takeaways (15 - tied 6th).

Grade: A- (when factoring in all the starters on both sides of the ball from the RG3 bounty)

* 2014 WAS pre-game coin flip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1c2xiVvPY4
WAS playoff berths (and division titles) since the trade: 2

STL playoff berths (and division titles) since the trade: 0

WAS trade legacy in terms of personnel - 0

Playoffs RG3 helped with - 1 (2012 Rookie season, lately, not so much, hence released)

LA trade legacy in terms of personnel - 3 first round starters at DT, MLB and LT (plus expected 2017 third round comp pick for 2012 second round CB Jenkins - the gift that keeps on giving :) )  

Playoffs that the three (or four or more, depending on 2017 pick) can help reach going forward - open ended (in 2016, Brockers 26, Ogletree 25 and Robinson 24)

The way I break it down, personnel-wise (since WAS can't use their 2012 record going forward, it is meaningless now), would you rather have something or nothing? Pretty easy call for me.

* IMO, if you had a time machine or crystal ball and informed Shanahan PRIOR to the trade he would - A) win no Super Bowls, B) be soon fired and C) RG3 would be universally viewed as a catastrophic bust and unceremoniously dumped in 2016, and ask him if he was SURE he wanted to consummate the trade, good chance he would pass. 

Last edited by a moderator:
San Francisco 49ers:

Picks:

Round 1 (30): AJ Jenkins, WR, Illinois

Round 2 (61): LaMichael James RB Oregon

Round 4 (117): Joe Looney C/OG Wake forest

Round 4 (165): Darius Fleming , OLB Notre Dame

Round 6 (180): Trent Robinson S, Michigan State

Round 6 (199): Jason Slowey T, West Oregon

Round 7 (237): Cam Johnson OLB Virginia

Players still with team: 1
Starters: 0
Potential future starters: 0

Oooooooooooooooooooof. Way to follow 2011 up with THIS mess. Grade F -.

Only player that remains on the roster is Looney, who started some last year after Boone went on IR, and filled in throughout 2014. To sum up his season:

Just read through those names again.. Seriously, wtf.
Thanks for whichever one of you jerks bumped this and made me relive this draft one more time :(

Users who are viewing this thread