What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (7 Viewers)

gruecd said:
I'm lucky to have the Pettit National Ice Center about 30 minutes from my house.  There's a 443-meter run/walk track around the skating oval, so it's less than 4 laps per mile.  Plus it's a perfectly climate-controlled 55 degrees.  I run there often during the winter, but I may head there this weekend for my long run.  It'll be 55 laps for my 15-miler, but it beats running in the heat and humidity, and it sure as hell beats running on a treadmill.
Love that place ...drove a couple hours from Chicago for a long marathon training run a few years ago when the snow/ice were too nasty on the streets.  Well worth the trip.

Duck - I had a piriformis issue some time back, and it's a bugger to shake.  Big muscle; slow to heal.  And it's deep in the butt, so it's harder to address.  I could maybe fly out to lube it for you, but beyond that, I guess you're on your own.  :shrug:  

Just did an 8.53 - short run 1.3m but I was very surprised I was able to push further than last fri.  Only really running fridays and once during the week.  It's about 90 bazillion degrees out too but it didn't really phase me until near the end.  Recovered quicker too.  Man I need to just keep running as I freakin love it.  Glad the ffa has an awesome community for that.

Anybody dealt with pirformis issues?  It's literally a pain in the butt, and I think the root of the knee pain I had going into States, the dull ache and constant stubbing of my left foot on rocks in the first 30-40 miles, and the problems I've been having since.  I've Dr. Google'd all day today and have read to stretch/don't stretch, trigger point massage/don't, ice/don't ice.  Not sure what the hell to do, but it is at the point now that it hurts all the time, not quite to the point of sciatic pain but I do feel a twinge every once in awhile, and my hammy is sore as well.

I know to truly "fix it" I need to strengthen the glutes and hip flexors and I know what to do for that, but not sure how to get this to chill out quickly.
Chronically. I roll on a lacrosse ball every now and then, but it's gotten to the point where I feel like I'm always gonna be dealing with it. It's the worst when I'm sitting for a long time and then I stand up.

Just did an 8.53 - short run 1.3m but I was very surprised I was able to push further than last fri.  Only really running fridays and once during the week.  It's about 90 bazillion degrees out too but it didn't really phase me until near the end.  Recovered quicker too.  Man I need to just keep running as I freakin love it.  Glad the ffa has an awesome community for that.
Glad to have you join the fun!

Damn########sonofa#####

My Tomtom broke!  Like won't go to another screen or upload this morning's run.  

Damn########sonofa#####

My Tomtom broke!  Like won't go to another screen or upload this morning's run.  
Probably a dumb question, but there's typically some hard resets you can do (I.e. Hold these buttons for XX seconds).  Tried that? When I've had issues, though with Garmin, the hard reset or plugging into a PC has typically resolved the issue.  Sucks dealing with these types of issues, especially once you become so accustomed to having that data readily at hand.  Hope you figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a dumb question, but there's typically some hard resets you can do (I.e. Hold these buttons for XX seconds).  Tried that? When I've had issues, though with Garmin, the hard reset or plugging into a PC has typically resolved the issue.  Sucks dealing with these types of issues, especially once you become so accustomed to having that data readily at hand.  Hope you figure it out. Good luck.
I'll have to try the hard reset.  Any past issues have generally resolved themselves or like you said, plugging into the PC. 

I'll sell you my garmin 225 ;)  
:no:   I have a 325 IIRC, haven't used it in years. 

I'll have to try the hard reset.  Any past issues have generally resolved themselves or like you said, plugging into the PC. 

:no:   I have a 325 IIRC, haven't used it in years. 
Years? I thought the 325 was less than 2 years old. 

So ran my 5k Saturday at 23:14 and my first half on Sunday at 1:55:16. I was happy with both. Not my PR for 5k, but run felt ok and I tri-man's comfortably uncomfortable pace is what stuck with me. For the half, not having done one before, it surprised me that so many people gun off. I mean I took it very slow the first mile, but people really came off fast. I wanted to run the first 3 miles at 9:20 or so. I was intent on not going out too fast and ran a 9:44 first mile. Picked up a bit as it went on and really felt great and finished very strong. It was a surprisingly enjoyable run for the most part. Thanks to all for the input and tips.

So ran my 5k Saturday at 23:14 and my first half on Sunday at 1:55:16. I was happy with both. Not my PR for 5k, but run felt ok and I tri-man's comfortably uncomfortable pace is what stuck with me. For the half, not having done one before, it surprised me that so many people gun off. I mean I took it very slow the first mile, but people really came off fast. I wanted to run the first 3 miles at 9:20 or so. I was intent on not going out too fast and ran a 9:44 first mile. Picked up a bit as it went on and really felt great and finished very strong. It was a surprisingly enjoyable run for the most part. Thanks to all for the input and tips.
Those are two solid efforts. Nice work!

Anyone have any tips for shin splints.  I have heard they will go away with time.  Right now my cardio is not the best, but sometimes the shin splints are what causes me to walk a bit instead of being out of breath.  I need a solid stretching routine.

Anyone have any tips for shin splints.  I have heard they will go away with time.  Right now my cardio is not the best, but sometimes the shin splints are what causes me to walk a bit instead of being out of breath.  I need a solid stretching routine.
Google heel striking and shin splints - is that you?

Ice the heck out of the shins.

Unfortunately, rest. Right now anyway.

It's a common injury for new runners.  I've read mixed opinions on what's the biggest driving force between technique and too much/too hard/too soon.  It's probably both, but which is the greater issue? :shrug:  Probably depends case-to-case.

When you start running again focus on technique, slow down, and (at least initially) take more days off in between runs.  In the meantime, bike/swim, yoga/stretch, hit some weights, etc.

@Osaurus saw your comment on strava, if you need any additional feedback on stuff to do and how to get around let me know.  I'm going to a concert the Wednesday you're here, have a work event Thursday, and birthday party Friday so unless you're looking to do 10-15 hilly trail miles in the woods 25 miles south of downtown Wednesday afternoon I'm kinda buried but if you have any questions I'll do my best!

Just left the cruise ship yesterday. Ran 5 of the 7 days on the treadmill with a beautiful view of the front of the ship. My last run was a 1 mile run, 10 minutes of bike, and another mile run, both at 8:30 pace. Felt good.

Now in Denali and tried running outside for the first time really. This is WAY different than the treadmill, especially with the uphill I had to start with. I definitely need to work on this. Only did a mile and a half but I was struggling after first 1/4 mile. My wife made me push through and it got easier but I wasn't ready for that. I'm going to try again in a couple hours with her and see how much I can do. If I see a bear, I think I'll be able to run faster for sure. If I don't ever post here again, well,........

ETA -- I also worked in intervals while on the ship on the treadmill. I'm starting to learn about cadence and stride and realizing how to keep my cadence the same. It's just frustrating how some days feel good and others are a real struggle to keep going. 

If it makes you feel any better, this happens to every runner.
Exactly. Progress isn't a straight line that goes up at 45 degree angle. Unfortunately there's some dips but over time you should improve. Would be nice if it was all positive reinforcement. 

Really?

Do you push through it or listen to it?  I have a hard time getting through it, honestly.
The more that you run the more fatigue you're going to be battling. So to answer you question whether your should push through or listen to you. Yes. Tough to know which sometimes but if you don't ever push through your body won't improve and adapt but occasionally we need rest and/or a down week. 

Really?

Do you push through it or listen to it?  I have a hard time getting through it, honestly.
For me, on those days, you push through but you may have to change your plan for that run. Sometimes if I have a struggle I just slow my pace way down and run some nice easy miles. Usually that alone can push you through a wall and you start to feel better toward the latter part of a run. And then pick up the pace.

Edit to add: one thing an old marathoner once told me that I always use: if you are struggling both mentally and physically, just try to make to the next tree. Or light pole. Or crack in the sidewalk - whatever.

Once you reach that point, go for the next landmark. That advice has helped me A TON over the last 4 years.

@Osaurus saw your comment on strava, if you need any additional feedback on stuff to do and how to get around let me know.  I'm going to a concert the Wednesday you're here, have a work event Thursday, and birthday party Friday so unless you're looking to do 10-15 hilly trail miles in the woods 25 miles south of downtown Wednesday afternoon I'm kinda buried but if you have any questions I'll do my best!
NP.  Just wanted to see if you were free at all.  I'll be downtown on foot for Thursday and Friday while the wife is at a conference.  I've get plenty to keep me entertained.   :thumbup:

Finally got back to intervals on Saturday.  7 miles total with a 4 mile ladder:

400m: 6:27/mi pace

800m: 6:51

1200m: 7:04

1600m: 7:10

1200m: 6:59

800m: 6:51

400m: 6:20

Good to know there's still some amount of pop in the legs.
Sounds fun, might need to try this.

What rest between each set?

Really?

Totally depends on why you're training. For endurance? Keep going. Health and you're feeling run down? Go a bit then stop early if you're not feeling it.

Anybody dealt with pirformis issues?  It's literally a pain in the butt, and I think the root of the knee pain I had going into States, the dull ache and constant stubbing of my left foot on rocks in the first 30-40 miles, and the problems I've been having since.  I've Dr. Google'd all day today and have read to stretch/don't stretch, trigger point massage/don't, ice/don't ice.  Not sure what the hell to do, but it is at the point now that it hurts all the time, not quite to the point of sciatic pain but I do feel a twinge every once in awhile, and my hammy is sore as well.

I know to truly "fix it" I need to strengthen the glutes and hip flexors and I know what to do for that, but not sure how to get this to chill out quickly.
I have had piriformis issues for the past year or so.  I am managing it but it definitely is painful at times.  I think mine is tied to my tight hamstring.  That being said, mine gets better when I religiously stretch.  I've also gone to PT for it when it flares up bad and that seems to work. 

The stretch my PT has me do is this one....   http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/piriformis-stretch

Really?

If your goals involve improvement then you need to push through.  Sometimes.  You're not going to realize or increase those limits unless you test them.  But.  This is also where injuries happen.  If you dance around this limit enough you will #### up on occasion.  In the early stages, probably fairly often.  That's how you learn though.

It's a never ending battle.  Because as those limits increase you still want to be better.  So you start testing new limits.  And make more mistakes.

Fun sport, huh?

Quick shoe post: really liking my brooks puregrits I use on trail and need another pair of road shoes - looking into the Brooks pure cadence6, any experience?

Will take my current topo athletics and Brooks in to fleet feet store to assess wear pattern and see if I should be in something different. 

Thanks

JShare87 said:
168 SI is no joke. Being able to complete more than 1 mile in that is amazing. 
Thanks.

How have you been feeling lately? Hope things have stabilized.  Only a few more days, yes? Weather looks good for the start of your race.

ChiefD said:
Baby steps run today.

168 SI when I started. Only 3.2 miles, but pace was at 10:51.

Was in the 11:20's last week and the weeks before. Only one run, but progress. I will take it.
Got on the bike this morning with the si just over 150 so I figured it would be fine. :no: . Humidity is still at 100% with now 88 temp, so the si is only 176. 

We've had some mid Atlantic storms that popped the SI bubble for now. Been in 130s this week which I hardly remembered how good it was. 

We've had some mid Atlantic storms that popped the SI bubble for now. Been in 130s this week which I hardly remembered how good it was. 
Yeah, we are getting a cool front tonight coming through. Lows are going to be in the 60's and highs in the mid 80's through the weekend. Should be a nice relief.

Thanks.

How have you been feeling lately? Hope things have stabilized.  Only a few more days, yes? Weather looks good for the start of your race.
Thanks for asking. Yes, the race is this Saturday and the temps look to be about 50 at the start and reaching about 70 at the end. Humidity looks to be in the 90s at the start and down to the 60s at the end. So looks like an SI ranging from 100-130 throughout the race. The lowest I have trained in so far in this program was about 140 and within the past month 150 is the lowest. I'm not sure how much this will help but has to be a good thing.

As far as my body and training, everything is pretty good. I switched my diet and have gone completely organic/vegan for the past 3 weeks. My runs have seen an improvement with the exception of 1 or 2. Every once in a while I go out and I can't get my HR to go down. I haven't figured out why it does this just kind of a game of chance. If it is normal the morning goes of the run, I should do awesome. If it is really high then there's not much I can do about it. I hope I am at my best so I can see what I am truly capable of. No injuries or tweaks in my entire body, I fell like this is the healthiest I have been in some time.

In preparation for the race, I plan to drink nothing but water and eat only rice and oatmeal starting tomorrow (48 hours from race day). I have been getting naps when I can and my sleep has been great. 

Any other tips for the final few days before would be greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of socks do you guys normally wear for a marathon. I have the Balega thin socks and the Balega blister prevention ones that are a bit thicker. So thinner or thicker? Other than that I don't have much else to say. 

Thanks for asking. Yes, the race is this Saturday and the temps look to be about 50 at the start and reaching about 70 at the end. Humidity looks to be in the 90s at the start and down to the 60s at the end. So looks like an SI ranging from 100-130 throughout the race. The lowest I have trained in so far in this program was about 140 and within the past month 150 is the lowest. I'm not sure how much this will help but has to be a good thing.

As far as my body and training, everything is pretty good. I switched my diet and have gone completely organic/vegan for the past 3 weeks. My runs have seen an improvement with the exception of 1 or 2. Every once in a while I go out and I can't get my HR to go down. I haven't figured out why it does this just kind of a game of chance. If it is normal the morning goes of the run, I should do awesome. If it is really high then there's not much I can do about it. I hope I am at my best so I can see what I am truly capable of. No injuries or tweaks in my entire body, I fell like this is the healthiest I have been in some time.

In preparation for the race, I plan to drink nothing but water and eat only rice and oatmeal starting tomorrow (48 hours from race day). I have been getting naps when I can and my sleep has been great. 

Any other tips for the final few days before would be greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of socks do you guys normally wear for a marathon. I have the Balega thin socks and the Balega blister prevention ones that are a bit thicker. So thinner or thicker? Other than that I don't have much else to say. 
I try to avoid advice in this space and I only ran one marathon before moving on to other events.  However, I suggest you google around to see if only water will deplete your electrolytes to a negative and possibly harmful level.  If you are looking to replace them, I am a huge Endrolyte by Hammer fan, but am an even huger proponent of don't try anything new on race day.

I'm curious what the thought process is here because my knee jerk is this is a recipe for disaster.

Do whatever you did in training. Now is not the time to experiment on new items for the marathon. 

As far as your diet, my only fear is that you won't have enough nutrients to carry you through race day, but I'm assuming you have done the necessary research to have enough stores to make it through the race.

I try to avoid advice in this space and I only ran one marathon before moving on to other events.  However, I suggest you google around to see if only water will deplete your electrolytes to a negative and possibly harmful level.  If you are looking to replace them, I am a huge Endrolyte by Hammer fan, but am an even huger proponent of don't try anything new on race day.
Cant agree more. I would never try something new on race day. If you have been running in crazy heat and humidity you have had to do something thus far. Just keep doing that. 

I'm curious what the thought process is here because my knee jerk is this is a recipe for disaster.
Yeah, my thoughts too. I know for my 2 marathons, and really even my half's I eat like a horse that week and just start to reduce fibers by the end of the week.

Water is the only thing I drink, no matter what. As far as the rice thing, everything I've read is to carb load and don't upset the digestive system, doesn't rice check both of those boxes? Within the past 3 weeks, rice has made up about 1,500-2,000 calories a day. I plan to up that and eat as much as I can handle. I never heard of the electrolyte and water thing, but I did buy water with electrolytes in it. Plus I have those Gatorade electrolyte packets I can add to it. I have no clue what I'm doing. What I do know is that what I was doing during training probably isn't smart. I hate greasy food and threw a bunch of garbage in my body which I think led to me being sick.

@JShare87 - I'm getting excited about your race.  This is a pretty inspiring race report of a guy who ran your race... http://www.darelruns.com/races/2016/7/31/jack-jills-downhill-marathon-north-bend-wa

Are there any ways to track you? 

In terms of diet, I've never heard of a diet of rice and oatmeal just prior to a race, but there may be some evidence that's what should be done for endurace races.  I generally eat lots of pasta and fish the 48 hours prior. 

Most importantly, do NOT, I repeat do NOT, try anything new race day.  I don't care what they are selling at the expo that the sales person guarantees will make you faster.  Your marathon is not the time try something new. 

Finally....about the socks, its personal preference.  Which sock do you prefer on long runs?  Whichever it is, use that.  Don't over think this too much.  You have run a boatload of training runs.  You know what you like and what you don't like.  Trust yourself.

Water is the only thing I drink, no matter what. As far as the rice thing, everything I've read is to carb load and don't upset the digestive system, doesn't rice check both of those boxes? Within the past 3 weeks, rice has made up about 1,500-2,000 calories a day. I plan to up that and eat as much as I can handle. I never heard of the electrolyte and water thing, but I did buy water with electrolytes in it. Plus I have those Gatorade electrolyte packets I can add to it. I have no clue what I'm doing. What I do know is that what I was doing during training probably isn't smart. I hate greasy food and threw a bunch of garbage in my body which I think led to me being sick.
Did you drink any electrolytes or fuel during training at all?

I primarily only drink water too.  A lot of it.  Possibly too much.  Only exceptions outside of the obvious (booze) are black coffee (basically water) and gatorade (only after a long run).  The water part is fine, there's really no way for you to know how much is too much so I'll just say drink when you're thirsty.  If you're not then don't.  You won't need as much as you usually do given the race conditions.

The rice/oatmeal part is where I get lost.  I think carb loading is real, but no one agrees on an amount and there are some (myself included) that don't believe the night before binge is effective.  I think everyone will agree that you still need the nutrients from a balanced diet though.  Whatever else you have been consuming to compliment your diet, keep having it.  If you've been rice heavy, performing well, and feeling better then keep doing that - don't change whatever else you're doing though.  You just may need to replace some of the calories that could upset the GI over the last day or two.  Trail mix does it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

• xulf