What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Antonio Brown’s Helmet Drama Is Exactly What Jon Gruden and the Raiders Bargained For

Excerpt:

Speaking of pass-catching backs, the Texans’ acquisition of Duke Johnson has Bill O’Brien’s fingerprints all over it. Since O’Brien’s been there, the Texans haven’t really had someone to fill the sub back role that the coach had Kevin Faulk and  Danny Woodhead for in his years running the New England offense. Like those two, Johnson’s an accomplished receiver, a deceivingly strong inside runner, and capable in pass pro (though not quite what Faulk was). And having a clear vision for the player, I think, is why O’Brien was willing to part with what will probably be a third-round pick for him (It’s a three if Johnson is active for 10 games, a four if he falls below that threshold).

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

Texans' Duke Johnson practices for first time, Bill O'Brien says: 'He's a very instinctive player. Good player, good hands, good route runner, does a good job'

Aaron Reiss @aaronjreiss

Duke Johnson has been a productive receiver in his second #Texans practice. He’s played all over the field today.

patrick @PatDStat

“He is an electric guy.” Deshaun Watson on the addition of Duke Johnson to the offense. #Texans

patrick @PatDStat

“We are moving him around alot.” Bill O’Brien on Duke Johnson. Likes what Johnson has done the past two days on the practice field. #Texans

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this being the Texans I can't see them letting Duke be the man. If anything this makes Damarea Crockett relevant again.

I agree. But whomever the time share will more likely be closer to 50/50 with Duke getting more runs than he would have before plus receptions.
Eh if they bring in Gordon, Duke suddenly has less value than he did pre-injury. Even ADP, I don’t see his touches changing. 

I just don’t think Houston traded for him to be the lead back at some point. He is phenomenal at what he does, and while he could certainly do it and I think he would EXCEL at it, I just don’t think it’s as easy as “Well kid, you’re gonna be touching the call 22-25 times a game now. Don’t #### up”. I think they actively attempt to bring in a banger - not because they have to but because it fits the system they’re rolling out. 

cross post from Crockett thread:

✔@adamlevitan

Not sure why it's assumed Duke Johnson can't handle a featured role.
* 210 pounds
* Averaged 18.4 carries over final two NCAA seasons
* HOU gave a 3rd-rd pick for him
* Never missed an NFL game in four seasons

7:57 PM - Aug 24, 2019 

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan
I think Duke would be a fantastic feature back. Size, hands, pass pro - dude can do it all. He did it in college. Durability could be a concern, but no more nor less than other running back. 

I just don’t think Houston traded for him to be the lead back at some point. He is phenomenal at what he does, and while he could certainly do it and I think he would EXCEL at it, I just don’t think it’s as easy as “Well kid, you’re gonna be touching the call 22-25 times a game now. Don’t #### up”. I think they actively attempt to bring in a banger - not because they have to but because it fits the system they’re rolling out. 
But why wouldn't Duke fit that system? 

I don't see why they can't just hand it to him 20-25 times and see what happens. 

He's a good football player. He plays running back. He's carried the ball before. They run a 1-cut system, right? So he just has to hit the hole & go. 

Miller was actually a kind of crappy fit for that system since he dances behind the line so much - he seemed to get better about that last year, but still wasn't awesome. 

Duke certainly has the quicks & vision to bang through a hole - I don't see why they couldn't give him a shot. 

What round do we think he goes in now in 12 team redraft? 

I think you'd have to go third to be sure to get him. This is a high scoring offense, and this guy knows how to score. 

What round do we think he goes in now in 12 team redraft? 

I think you'd have to go third to be sure to get him. This is a high scoring offense, and this guy knows how to score. 
Duke? 6th. Everyone’s saying HOU will bring someone in, and no one believes he’ll be the guy. 

The mock draft simulator at fantasy pros jumped him from a 10th-11th rounder to a ~6th. 

A bit steep compared to others of similar ADP, but I could see flex in PPR at that price if you’re not a fan of the others in that range. 

FYI stuff (full PPR, start 2 with W/R/T Flex):

Moved DJJ in my ranks from 105 (RB39) to 71 (RB31)  RB4 range with Sanders & Penny.

In the high 50s I have a group of RB3s I’ll be targeting at the 5/6 turn: Cohen-Coldeman-Drake-Murray-White.

Tier after is low 80s: Breida-Eckler-Freeman-Guice-Henderson.

Seems like same scenario that netted him a top 10 PPR season in 2017 only this time on a better offense with less RB competition and a real QB. What's there's not to love?🤷‍♂️

Duke? 6th. Everyone’s saying HOU will bring someone in, and no one believes he’ll be the guy. 

The mock draft simulator at fantasy pros jumped him from a 10th-11th rounder to a ~6th. 

A bit steep compared to others of similar ADP, but I could see flex in PPR at that price if you’re not a fan of the others in that range. 
Who can they even bring in? There’s isn’t anyone on the ww that would be any sort of difference maker. 

Ever wonder if there's any correlation between Watson getting sacked a league-high 62 times and throwing to his RB's a league-low 13.8% of the time?  Is Duke's presence going to trend both of those numbers in the right directions?  The first number has a few extra factors to add in - OL and Watson's decision-making, but the second number is all but guaranteed.

For those saying Lamar's injury will make no real difference in Duke's usage, I totally disagree.  The minute Duke was signed, his role as the passing down back was solidified.  And the minute Lamar went down, he became, at worst, the 1B in a timeshare with a stranglehold on passing downs.  Why can't he be the 1A?  He hasn't missed a game in his 4 yr NFL career.  He is plenty big enough at 5'9" and near 210.  CLE only gave him double digit carries twice in 2015, once in 2016, and once in 2017.  And how did he do?  45 carries for 244 yards = 5.42 YPC.  As a senior for Miami, he averaged 22 touches a game.  

Last year, Duke hit 10 touches only once.  I'd bet the farm he eclipses that in week 1.

The closest guess is Ajayi
I guess for me they should have already had him there if he’s any good. Before duke that backfield looked Pathetic (capital p). Duke was a nice add for them but wtf are they doing this offseason at rb? Looked like they were in on foreman, only to cut him. They have a good team but couldn’t add some depth in the late rds? 

I guess for me they should have already had him there if he’s any good. Before duke that backfield looked Pathetic (capital p). Duke was a nice add for them but wtf are they doing this offseason at rb? Looked like they were in on foreman, only to cut him. They have a good team but couldn’t add some depth in the late rds? 
Nailed it. Great QB/WR combo, good defense, excellent special teams...how they are not primed for a SB run if they don’t decide “yeah let’s roll with underwhelming Lamar a fourth straight year.” Baffling.

Ever wonder if there's any correlation between Watson getting sacked a league-high 62 times and throwing to his RB's a league-low 13.8% of the time?  Is Duke's presence going to trend both of those numbers in the right directions?  The first number has a few extra factors to add in - OL and Watson's decision-making, but the second number is all but guaranteed.

For those saying Lamar's injury will make no real difference in Duke's usage, I totally disagree.  The minute Duke was signed, his role as the passing down back was solidified.  And the minute Lamar went down, he became, at worst, the 1B in a timeshare with a stranglehold on passing downs.  Why can't he be the 1A?  He hasn't missed a game in his 4 yr NFL career.  He is plenty big enough at 5'9" and near 210.  CLE only gave him double digit carries twice in 2015, once in 2016, and once in 2017.  And how did he do?  45 carries for 244 yards = 5.42 YPC.  As a senior for Miami, he averaged 22 touches a game.  

Last year, Duke hit 10 touches only once.  I'd bet the farm he eclipses that in week 1.
This makes a lot of sense.  Duke is going have 15 touches/game.  He is a good RB that now has opportunity.  

This makes a lot of sense.  Duke is going have 15 touches/game.  He is a good RB that now has opportunity.  
Agree 100%. They’ll bring in someone off the trash heap. They’ll stink. Duke has wanted this opportunity and is hungry. I think he rises to the occasion. I don’t see ajayi, Crockett, or anyone else garnering carries and looking like “whoa, we need to get that guy the ball more” a la dar Thompson. He’s shown he is capable. He’s not too small. Rb2 numbers seem pretty attainable, but I honestly think he could flirt with rb1 if it plays out like this.

He has been foaming at the mouth for 4 years, trying to lose the label of simply being a pass-catching 3rd down back.  He WILL get a chance to lose that label this year.

I don't know about that.  

I love Duke and thought he should have had more touches with the Browns but he couldn't beat out the Crow and then Carlos Hyde took center stage.  Then Chubb and even though he was the perfect pass receiving back, neither Haley nor Kitchens used him as much as they should.

I honestly don't know why he never got more touches because his numbers screamed for more but he never got the ball and it really bugged me as to why.

We'll see if he is a legit bell-cow RB because no one is in his way.

He 'should' get 15 touches per game but I dunno....

Agree 100%. They’ll bring in someone off the trash heap. They’ll stink. Duke has wanted this opportunity and is hungry. I think he rises to the occasion. I don’t see ajayi, Crockett, or anyone else garnering carries and looking like “whoa, we need to get that guy the ball more” a la dar Thompson. He’s shown he is capable. He’s not too small. Rb2 numbers seem pretty attainable, but I honestly think he could flirt with rb1 if it plays out like this.
I can see Carlos Hyde getting cut in KC and being on the first plane to Houston. Average player but "vet" presence who would not disrupt the lockerroom and willing to assume any role he can to keep playing. 

He has been foaming at the mouth for 4 years, trying to lose the label of simply being a pass-catching 3rd down back.  He WILL get a chance to lose that label this year.
Not sure about that....a couple of years ago he wanted to be moved to receiver if I remember correctly....

Not sure about that....a couple of years ago he wanted to be moved to receiver if I remember correctly....
My point still stands - he wants more touches, and doesn't want to be typecast.  He was behind Crowell his first 3 yrs in CLE, then they bring in Hyde, draft Chubb, and sign Hunt.  It was time to go.

The other name mentioned yesterday besides Ajayi was ADP given the Texas connection.  I might vote ADP personally...but I'm not sure that DJJ isn't the best option.

As a Texans fan and Duke owner, I’ll give you my opinion. 

The Texans, when we’ve had a GM, have been historically cheap with the position. Before Miller, RB was just a plug and play just-a-guy mentality. 

Miller has been a decent back but his performance demonstrates the above more than people realize: he is decent but not spectacular but it’s been ok. 

As a fan, I’d love someone like Gordon if we could make it work as our window on Watson’s rookie deal window is closing. 

I expect the Texans to take the more cheap route here. They paid for Duke and while a 3rd isn’t significant, it’s more than they usually would give for the role. 

This feels like Duke 50-60%, JAG RB2&3 40-50%. Duke is the guy to own unless they make a move. Don’t chase Crockett, Higdon, etc. 

If they were to make a deal, the RB will likely be the lesser piece of the deal. One I’d be fond of would be Clowney + pick for ADP + Trent Williams. Even in this scenario, I’d envision a 50/50 split with the Texans going less ground and pound and using Duke / Keke as James White like and being ok with it. 

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle expects Duke Johnson to "get all the playing time he can handle."

Houston's backfield has thinned out considerably following the sudden release of D'Onta Foreman and now a potentially season-ending injury to bell cow Lamar Miller. Johnson has never been a featured back—the Browns mostly employed him as a passing-down complement to Isaiah Crowell and later Nick Chubb. But Johnson, who has averaged a healthy 4.3 yards per carry for his career with 13 touchdowns in four NFL seasons (five rushing, eight receiving), should be up to the task. The Texans will assuredly bring in another running back for depth purposes, but there's no doubt Johnson will see an increased workload this year. He's 26th among running backs and 63rd overall in our latest PPR rankings.
I would love to see him be a feature back, he never got a shot at it.

My point still stands - he wants more touches, and doesn't want to be typecast.  He was behind Crowell his first 3 yrs in CLE, then they bring in Hyde, draft Chubb, and sign Hunt.  It was time to go.
I am just saying that maybe he doesn’t enjoy the physicality of the RB position.

I don't know about that.  

I love Duke and thought he should have had more touches with the Browns but he couldn't beat out the Crow and then Carlos Hyde took center stage.  Then Chubb and even though he was the perfect pass receiving back, neither Haley nor Kitchens used him as much as they should.

I honestly don't know why he never got more touches because his numbers screamed for more but he never got the ball and it really bugged me as to why.

We'll see if he is a legit bell-cow RB because no one is in his way.

He 'should' get 15 touches per game but I dunno....
I don't think Duke is going to the bell cow.   I do think he gets a good amount of touches and leads a RBBC.  Bell cow RBs are not the norm these days.  

I don't think Duke is going to the bell cow.   I do think he gets a good amount of touches and leads a RBBC.  Bell cow RBs are not the norm these days.  
I agree. I’d expect him to be a 65-35 split with whatever other scrubs HOU runs out there. 

I’m not expecting a big name trade. Gut feeling. Maybe a recycling project. 

Users who are viewing this thread