What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vancouver Island vacation (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
I started planning a trip to Vancouver Island over the weekend. Looking at mid-August, probably 7-10 days. We've been to Seattle and Vancouver already but the plan is to end the trip with a day or two in Vancouver. Love the city.

We'll probably start in Seattle since American Airlines flies there direct. What's the best way to get to Victoria? Doesn't have to be quickest. Maybe see a little of Olympic National Park and take a ferry from Port Angeles?

How is Victoria at night? I found a really nice hotel in Brentwood Bay but that's about a half hour ride from Victoria. If Victoria is a fun night out, I'd probably stay in the city but if dies out at night, I'll take the drive.

After that is where I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of doing like 3 days in the Tofino area and then heading NE to Sonora Island for what looks like an amazing experience at this hotel for another 2-3 days before heading back to Vancouver.

Is that just too much to cram in? I'd like to try some salmon fishing and maybe do some nature tours, especially to see some grizzlies. We do have a tough time sitting still when there are things to do but I would like to soak in what looks like some amazing scenery.

Anything else I should consider while there?

Man the pics from that hotel website are amazing. Vancouver added to my list of places to visit. Have fun!

Oh and :blackdot: for the trip report...

Haven't been to Victoria for years but I remember it being pretty quiet town so you won't miss out on too much staying a bit out of town. The ferry ride over after seeing Olympic National Park is a good idea, Hurricane Ridge is pretty spectacular and is short drive from Port Angeles. Port Townsend is a cool little town if you have time for bite there, a bit out of the way though.

Only hiked up on Vancouver Island on the south side of the island. It's awesome up there. That place you are staying looks amazing.

The Sunshine Coast is my favorite place to fish.
Ugh, that just made me realize I haven't considered the trip back to Vancouver. I didn't really want to stop again but that's like 8 hours, if not more.

Haven't been to Victoria for years but I remember it being pretty quiet town so you won't miss out on too much staying a bit out of town. The ferry ride over after seeing Olympic National Park is a good idea, Hurricane Ridge is pretty spectacular and is short drive from Port Angeles. Port Townsend is a cool little town if you have time for bite there, a bit out of the way though.

Only hiked up on Vancouver Island on the south side of the island. It's awesome up there. That place you are staying looks amazing.
Hmmm, Port Townsend looks like a nice place to stop before the ferry. I'm sure we'll want a little break after the flight. Thx! Definitely consider it. Is it a pain to do a border crossing there?

Done that trip a number of times and the best way to get to Vancouver from Seattle was BoltBus. Surprisingly cheap, easy and pleasant ride (except for being detained at the border for a bit). They are nice, roomy buses with Wifi.

Done that trip a number of times and the best way to get to Vancouver from Seattle was BoltBus. Surprisingly cheap, easy and pleasant ride (except for being detained at the border for a bit). They are nice, roomy buses with Wifi.
Thanks but Vancouver will end the trip. Planning on getting a car at Seattle airport and go straight to Victoria.

Hmmm, Port Townsend looks like a nice place to stop before the ferry. I'm sure we'll want a little break after the flight. Thx! Definitely consider it. Is it a pain to do a border crossing there?
I haven't taken that ferry - the one from PT to Victoria - but I think it would be about as easy as possible.

I have taken the ferry from Seattle and taken a seaplane from Seattle and honestly I don't even remember what I had to do to enter Victoria so it must have been really easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't taken that ferry - the one from PT to Victoria - but I would think it wouldn't be about as easy as possible.

I have taken the ferry from Seattle and taken a seaplane from Seattle and honestly I don't even remember what I had to do to enter Victoria so it must have been really easy.
Cool...thx.

Trying to talk my wife into a seaplane from Campbell River to that hotel on Sonora Island. That would be amazing but she's too nervous. Gonna keep trying.

uh... no. There are lots of ways to get to Vancouver but this is definitely not one of the best. besides, he's going to Vancouver Island - which is not Vancouver (city of).

The whole island is fantastic but it would be a lot of driving to try to see the whole thing. For the time you have, if you drove out to Port Angeles early and caught an afternoon ferry it would probably be enough time in WA. Unless you decide to spend some time in Olympic National Park, in which case you'd have to spend at least another day to keep driving past PA to something worth seeing worth the drive (unless you're into hot springs - Olympic or Sol Duc are close to PA). Once on Vancouver Island, probably Victoria, Brentwood Bay, Tofino and the hotel mentioned is pretty manageable to tackle in a week. I've never found much going on in Victoria as far as night life, so probably not worth staying in the city in my opinion. I'll add another thing to consider - this - a pretty unique experience.

Whatever you do, try to take it slow because Vancouver Island is definitely one of the most beautiful spots on planet earth.

Stayed in Tofino and Victoria for five nights a few years ago.

Victoria -- make it a day trip. Saw the hotel, did a water taxi tour, did the museum and...not much else there. Nice place to see for sure, but wouldn't plan to stay two days.

Under not circumstances should you miss Buchart Gardens. Trust me.

And Tofino is one of the best places I've ever been. We hiked the rainforest and a coastal trail a bit south of there. And also did a whale watching tour out of Tofino proper. Unbelievable. The beaches are hundreds of yards wide and you'll see maybe 10 other people looking up and down the coast. I forget the name of the lodge where we stayed but it was right on the surfing mini-bay and was very nice.

Strongly recommend.

We just moved to the Olympic Peninsula from Seattle in November, after having spent a bunch of time hiking and staying out here and deciding it was so beautiful we have to live here. I'd be happy to help with all things Olympic National Park (there's a WHOLE lot more to do there than what has been listed--I suggest seeing all the ecosystems there including the mountains, beaches and rainforest), Port Townsend (which is about 20 minute from where I live and has some great restaurants), etc.

There is a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria that has been mentioned. The Black Ball ferry (better than blue ball, I suppose) is easy as pie and you can even make reservations in advance. Just remember to bring your passports.

Also, if you're going to drive from Seattle to the Olympic RF stop at a place called Hurricane Ridge near Squim(?). Really nice place to see on the route.

Thanks MarcO, wdcrob and krista!

Seems like I might have to either add a day or cut a day somewhere else. I was just thinking of Victoria as a stop before really starting our trip the next day as we headed to Tofino. The hotel I was looking at is in Brentwood Bay and I was reading about Buchart Gardens since it's so close. I'll have to look more into Olympic Nat. Park and see what to do.

Right now it's one night in Brentwood Bay, 3 in Tofino, 3 in Sonora Island and 2 nights in Vancouver. Like I said, we've been there already but it's been a long time (pre-Olympics, probably late 90's) and would really like the day and a half to see it again.

Thanks for giving me more to think about! :thumbup:

Also, if you're going to drive from Seattle to the Olympic RF stop at a place called Hurricane Ridge near Squim(?). Really nice place to see on the route.
Hurricane Ridge is accessed from Port Angeles, but Sequim (spelled like that but pronounced "Squim") is a nice town in itself. In early August you'd be after the Lavender Festival, which is good because it gets PACKED there but you would still be there during the season.

Hurricane Ridge is not in the rainforest area of ONP, by the way. The Hoh rainforest (which is incredible and where I'd suggest you go if you want rainforest) is quite far from there. Remember that ONP is gigantic and is not a national park where you just drive through. Getting to the different areas can take quite a bit of time. Most people would suggest staying a few nights there. If you only have time to see one thing, though, I agree Hurricane Ridge is a good choice.

We just moved to the Olympic Peninsula from Seattle in November, after having spent a bunch of time hiking and staying out here and deciding it was so beautiful we have to live here.
I've taken four vacations in the Pacific NW and would move there tomorrow if it weren't literally 3000 miles from family and everyone I've ever known.

Seattle--Hurricane Ridge--Hoh Rainforest--Canon Beach--Columbia River Gorge--Snoqualmie Pass--the scenery and tourist towns of the North Cascades Loop--Mount Ranier--Mount St. Helens--Orcas Island--Mount Consitution--Vancouver--Victoria--Tofino--a week in Denali. Loved every second of it. Very jealous jamny.

We just moved to the Olympic Peninsula from Seattle in November, after having spent a bunch of time hiking and staying out here and deciding it was so beautiful we have to live here.
I've taken four vacations in the Pacific NW and would move there tomorrow if it weren't literally 3000 miles from family and everyone I've ever known.

Seattle--Hurricane Ridge--Hoh Rainforest--Canon Beach--Columbia River Gorge--Snoqualmie Pass--the scenery and tourist towns of the North Cascades Loop--Mount Ranier--Mount St. Helens--Orcas Island--Mount Consitution--Vancouver--Victoria--Tofino--a week in Denali. Loved every second of it. Very jealous jamny.
that's one of the reasons I moved to Seattle

You've spent a week in Denali? Would love to hear about that if it's not too much a hijack. Dying to go there.

Denali is unbelievable. The scale and scenery is hard to describe.

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]I was by myself, so stayed at [/SIZE]North Face Lodge[SIZE=14.2857141494751px], but if I go back with my wife I'd stay in one of the cabins in Camp Denali. IIRC that's the only lodging inside the park, so we were able to do several sightseeing/hiking trips without spending hours getting to the location. Highlight of the trip was biking the 25 miles from the visitor center back to the lodge.[/SIZE]

I had mostly clear skies so the mountain was out big time. It was huge even though it was something like 20-30 miles away. Some of the people visiting at the same time I did took a small engine plane tour around the mountain one night and said it was completely worth the $$.

Wildlife was awesome too. Several grizzlies (including a mom with two cubs right next to the one lane gravel road that goes through the park), mountain goats (white dots up high), a big wolf pack, lots of caribou, a couple moose, a lynx (for a split second), beavers, some owls and golden eagles. Fantastic.

If you didn't want to stay in the park proper, you could overnight at one of the hotels at the train station/park entrance and then do the bus tour in and out. [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]Not sure about the permit laws, but [/SIZE]you can get off the buses anywhere and just head out over the tundra if you want to camp. Definitely worth a visit.

Congrats on your move Krista. It's beautiful place to live. We go the other way and go to Moclips two times a year or so for long weekends. I don't think I could live in Moclips full time tho, way too small and a bit trashy for me.

One day I am sure I will end up in Yachats, OR, which is one of our favorite places on earth -- although to be fair, like many people, I have several "favorite places"

[SIZE=14.2857141494751px]I was by myself, so stayed at [/SIZE]North Face Lodge[SIZE=14.2857141494751px], but if I go back with my wife I'd stay in one of the cabins in Camp Denali. IIRC that's the only lodging inside the park, so we were able to do several sightseeing/hiking trips without spending hours getting to the location. Highlight of the trip was biking the 25 miles from the visitor center back to the lodge.[/SIZE]

I had mostly clear skies so the mountain was out big time. It was huge even though it was something like 20-30 miles away. Some of the people visiting at the same time I did took a small engine plane tour around the mountain one night and said it was completely worth the $$.

Wildlife was awesome too. Several grizzlies (including a mom with two cubs right next to the one lane gravel road that goes through the park), mountain goats (white dots up high), a big wolf pack, lots of caribou, a couple moose, a lynx (for a split second), beavers, some owls and golden eagles. Fantastic.

If you didn't want to stay in the park proper, you could overnight at one of the hotels at the train station/park entrance and then do the bus tour in and out. [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]Not sure about the permit laws, but [/SIZE]you can get off the buses anywhere and just head out over the tundra if you want to camp. Definitely worth a visit.
:goodposting: It's like everything is on steroids up there. I believe those were Dall Ram, not mountain goats, btw. Stayed in Denali at this unabomber cabin. Good times. Not sure K4 would want to camp anywhere back in the park. Mosquito mania.

The Anacortes-Sydney BC ferry is a cool ride. It winds through the San Jaun Islands. You can drive 40 mins north from Seattle to La Conner (and see a Wash. hidden gem). Have lunch and shop then carry on to Anacortes. From there you can take the Sydney BC- Anacortes Orcas Island ferry to Vic or head south to Port Townsend, ONP and PA.

[SIZE=14.28px]I was by myself, so stayed at [/SIZE]North Face Lodge[SIZE=14.28px], but if I go back with my wife I'd stay in one of the cabins in Camp Denali. IIRC that's the only lodging inside the park, so we were able to do several sightseeing/hiking trips without spending hours getting to the location. Highlight of the trip was biking the 25 miles from the visitor center back to the lodge.[/SIZE]

If you didn't want to stay in the park proper, you could overnight at one of the hotels at the train station/park entrance and then do the bus tour in and out. [SIZE=14.28px]Not sure about the permit laws, but [/SIZE]you can get off the buses anywhere and just head out over the tundra if you want to camp. Definitely worth a visit.
:goodposting: It's like everything is on steroids up there. I believe those were Dall Ram, not mountain goats, btw. Stayed in Denali at this unabomber cabin. Good times. Not sure K4 would want to camp anywhere back in the park. Mosquito mania.
that's why i cover myself with enough Deet to kill a small village.

The Anacortes-Sydney BC ferry is a cool ride. It winds through the San Jaun Islands. You can drive 40 mins north from Seattle to La Conner (and see a Wash. hidden gem). Have lunch and shop then carry on to Anacortes. From there you can take the Sydney BC- Anacortes Orcas Island ferry to Vic or head south to Port Townsend, ONP and PA.
Looks like a cool ride through those islands. Definitely something to consider, especially if I tack on another day in the beginning of the trip. Thx!

Looks like a cool ride through those islands. Definitely something to consider, especially if I tack on another day in the beginning of the trip. Thx!
San Juan Islands are worth a visit in themselves rather than just a ferry through. I think we're trying to give you too much to do, unless you want to stay a month. :excited:

San Juan Islands are worth a visit in themselves rather than just a ferry through. I think we're trying to give you too much to do, unless you want to stay a month. :excited:
Tell me about it! :D

Question: From Tacoma, which is the nicer ride up, Route 16 to 3 or 5 through Olympia to 101?

Question: From Tacoma, which is the nicer ride up, Route 16 to 3 or 5 through Olympia to 101?
To get to which destination specifically?

Mosquito mania.
Forgot about this. I was there at the end of August when it was already cooling down (it actually snowed at elevations about 500 feet above the lodge one day). So the mosquitoes were almost non-existent. Earlier in the year they're supposed to be hellish.

Mosquito mania.
Forgot about this. I was there at the end of August when it was already cooling down (it actually snowed at elevations about 500 feet above the lodge one day). So the mosquitoes were almost non-existent. Earlier in the year they're supposed to be hellish.
This is very good to know (and BRONG has a great notebook). ;)

Port Townsend.

My answer is probably going to be "neither".

Port Townsend.
To Port Townsend, the best route would be I-5 to the Edmonds ferry, which drops you in Kingston. From there it's about a 45-50 minute drive to PT. I find this the most pleasant and most beautiful route--you get the city of Seattle, then a gorgeous and relaxing ferry ride, then a beautiful bridge over the Hood Canal, etc. It might technically be quicker to go one of the other routes, but if so it would be by only a few minutes and would require a lot more driving.

Driving on 101 is generally very pretty but can be slow-going, with speed limits between 25 and 50 until you get pretty far north near Quilcene. If you wanted to avoid the ferry for some reason, I like this one better than the 16->3 route, though the latter is probably a bit quicker. Not much to see on that one, though, until you get through Poulsbo to the bridge (same bridge you would come over if you go with the ferry route I recommended).

Wait, wait, wait, wait, TACOMA?!?! Sorry, I thought you were coming from Seattle or SeaTac. If actually in Tacoma I'd go the 101 route through Olympia. Very pretty drive, and the one I recommended above would add too much time if you're coming from Tacoma.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, TACOMA?!?! Sorry, I thought you were coming from Seattle or SeaTac. If actually in Tacoma I'd go the 101 route through Olympia. Very pretty drive, and the one I recommended above would add too much time if you're coming from Tacoma.
I just figured if I'm at the Seattle airport, I'd head south towards Tacoma to head back up. I thought 101 at first but looking at the map, 16 to 3 looked like it might be nice too.

I just figured if I'm at the Seattle airport, I'd head south towards Tacoma to head back up. I thought 101 at first but looking at the map, 16 to 3 looked like it might be nice too.
Oh, no way would I go all the way down to Tacoma. It's not only out of the way, but it's really ugly and usually has awful traffic for reasons I don't understand. If you're actually coming from SeaTac, you're best off taking the ferry route I originally mentioned, or you could take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and come up that way. 16 to 3 is not very pretty until the end of the trip and is a lot of not-that-great driving.

Oh, no way would I go all the way down to Tacoma. It's not only out of the way, but it's really ugly and usually has awful traffic for reasons I don't understand. If you're actually coming from SeaTac, you're best off taking the ferry route I originally mentioned, or you could take the ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island and come up that way. 16 to 3 is not very pretty until the end of the trip and is a lot of not-that-great driving.
You mentioned the Black Ball ferry but I thought that was only from Port Angeles.

We're probably coming in on a Sunday if that helps with traffic.

You mentioned the Black Ball ferry but I thought that was only from Port Angeles.

We're probably coming in on a Sunday if that helps with traffic.
When I mention ferries in this post, I'm talking about Washington State ferries that will get you, the most appealing ways, to Port Townsend. Wasn't actually getting you past that point.

Sunday will be the worst time in terms of traffic, unfortunately, for where you're going.

I started planning a trip to Vancouver Island over the weekend. Looking at mid-August, probably 7-10 days. We've been to Seattle and Vancouver already but the plan is to end the trip with a day or two in Vancouver. Love the city.

We'll probably start in Seattle since American Airlines flies there direct. What's the best way to get to Victoria? Doesn't have to be quickest. Maybe see a little of Olympic National Park and take a ferry from Port Angeles?

How is Victoria at night? I found a really nice hotel in Brentwood Bay but that's about a half hour ride from Victoria. If Victoria is a fun night out, I'd probably stay in the city but if dies out at night, I'll take the drive.

After that is where I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of doing like 3 days in the Tofino area and then heading NE to Sonora Island for what looks like an amazing experience at this hotel for another 2-3 days before heading back to Vancouver.

Is that just too much to cram in? I'd like to try some salmon fishing and maybe do some nature tours, especially to see some grizzlies. We do have a tough time sitting still when there are things to do but I would like to soak in what looks like some amazing scenery.

Anything else I should consider while there?
Victoria is a super happening place at night. Lots of old english pubs with great microbrews but there are lots of clubs going with young ladies if that is what you are interested in. I would stay downtown. The Rialto is a great place right in the heart of things with a great little lounge.

That's not too much to do if you ask me. You'll like tofino, great spot, great surfing.

This is from a guy that just moved here

OK, took a trip to Vancouver a year and a half go and LOVED the place. Want to take the rest of the family back and do a trip similar to what you've outlined. (though Portland, Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver all in initial conversation - not sure what was doable). Very interested in this thread...

OK, took a trip to Vancouver a year and a half go and LOVED the place. Want to take the rest of the family back and do a trip similar to what you've outlined. (though Portland, Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver all in initial conversation - not sure what was doable). Very interested in this thread...
Our first plan was to drive from London to Edinburgh but the FFA wisely convinced me that it wasn't a great drive. Then we were looking at Virginia and North Carolina but I wasn't blown away by the hotel options and didn't really want to head south in August. Then I started looking at Calgary and/or Whistler until I started seeing pics of Vancouver Island. Now I'm psyched! Looks so amazing. I'm trying to avoid looking at too many pictures though. I'm sure they still don't do the real thing any justice.

fwiw, we did a great drive from Portland down to Carmel a few years ago. Just an incredible part of the country, so beautiful. Not sure if it's exciting enough for the whole family though.

We went to Victoria in August 2014. Stayed at the Oak Bay Beach hotel. It's a short drive from the main tourist area (the Empress hotel area), but I really enjoyed the hotel. Bucharest Gardens is very nice, walking the tourist area was good for 1/2 day. But my favorite excursion was a kayak tour around the Discovery islands. The tour leaves from the dock of the Oak Bay Beach hotel. We also walked to Craigdarroch castle - which I would skip if I could do the trip again.

Users who are viewing this thread