What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vancouver Island vacation (2 Viewers)

Of all the things we've mentioned here, the one thing you guys need to work in is Buchart Gardens. You'll never see anything else like it.

We went to Victoria in August 2014. Stayed at the Oak Bay Beach hotel. It's a short drive from the main tourist area (the Empress hotel area), but I really enjoyed the hotel. Bucharest Gardens is very nice, walking the tourist area was good for 1/2 day. But my favorite excursion was a kayak tour around the Discovery islands. The tour leaves from the dock of the Oak Bay Beach hotel. We also walked to Craigdarroch castle - which I would skip if I could do the trip again.
I was looking at Oak Bay beach hotel until I realized it's still a drive away from the city center. Looks like a nice hotel. We'll probably go with the Magnolia if we stay in the city or Brentwood Bay Resort if not. I expect to be doing some kayaking around Tofino but thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind.

killface said:
I started planning a trip to Vancouver Island over the weekend. Looking at mid-August, probably 7-10 days. We've been to Seattle and Vancouver already but the plan is to end the trip with a day or two in Vancouver. Love the city.

We'll probably start in Seattle since American Airlines flies there direct. What's the best way to get to Victoria? Doesn't have to be quickest. Maybe see a little of Olympic National Park and take a ferry from Port Angeles?

How is Victoria at night? I found a really nice hotel in Brentwood Bay but that's about a half hour ride from Victoria. If Victoria is a fun night out, I'd probably stay in the city but if dies out at night, I'll take the drive.

After that is where I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of doing like 3 days in the Tofino area and then heading NE to Sonora Island for what looks like an amazing experience at this hotel for another 2-3 days before heading back to Vancouver.

Is that just too much to cram in? I'd like to try some salmon fishing and maybe do some nature tours, especially to see some grizzlies. We do have a tough time sitting still when there are things to do but I would like to soak in what looks like some amazing scenery.

Anything else I should consider while there?
Victoria is a super happening place at night. Lots of old english pubs with great microbrews but there are lots of clubs going with young ladies if that is what you are interested in. I would stay downtown. The Rialto is a great place right in the heart of things with a great little lounge.

That's not too much to do if you ask me. You'll like tofino, great spot, great surfing.

This is from a guy that just moved here
Yes I would be interested in young ladies but considering I'm 50 and married, it might not be part of the equation. Thanks though, glad to hear that Victoria is cool at night. Not really looking for clubs but at least an active pub life.

Of all the things we've mentioned here, the one thing you guys need to work in is Buchart Gardens. You'll never see anything else like it.
Definitely going to try, especially with it being so close to the hotel we might be staying at. My wife really enjoyed the Japanese Gardens in Portland and this one looks even better.

killface said:
I started planning a trip to Vancouver Island over the weekend. Looking at mid-August, probably 7-10 days. We've been to Seattle and Vancouver already but the plan is to end the trip with a day or two in Vancouver. Love the city.

We'll probably start in Seattle since American Airlines flies there direct. What's the best way to get to Victoria? Doesn't have to be quickest. Maybe see a little of Olympic National Park and take a ferry from Port Angeles?

How is Victoria at night? I found a really nice hotel in Brentwood Bay but that's about a half hour ride from Victoria. If Victoria is a fun night out, I'd probably stay in the city but if dies out at night, I'll take the drive.

After that is where I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of doing like 3 days in the Tofino area and then heading NE to Sonora Island for what looks like an amazing experience at this hotel for another 2-3 days before heading back to Vancouver.

Is that just too much to cram in? I'd like to try some salmon fishing and maybe do some nature tours, especially to see some grizzlies. We do have a tough time sitting still when there are things to do but I would like to soak in what looks like some amazing scenery.

Victoria is a super happening place at night. Lots of old english pubs with great microbrews but there are lots of clubs going with young ladies if that is what you are interested in. I would stay downtown. The Rialto is a great place right in the heart of things with a great little lounge.

That's not too much to do if you ask me. You'll like tofino, great spot, great surfing.

Yes I would be interested in young ladies but considering I'm 50 and married, it might not be part of the equation. Thanks though, glad to hear that Victoria is cool at night. Not really looking for clubs but at least an active pub life.
Lots of pubs for the older crowd with lost of charms and local microbrews. I would argue victoria is better for the older crowd than the younger

stay downtown...so many great restaurants to try

killface said:

Lots of pubs for the older crowd with lost of charms and local microbrews. I would argue victoria is better for the older crowd than the younger

stay downtown...so many great restaurants to try
I think that's how I'm leaning. The Anacortes-Sydney ferry, check out the Gardens and head into Victoria, check into the Magnolia Hotel and enjoy the first night walking the city, doing a little pub crawl. Coming from NY, the time zone difference is great because we can get off to an early start the next day.

It means missing Olympic Nat. Park but I'll save it for a Seattle return trip so we can give it more time. Adding a day for the park would mean cutting one from Tofino or our one day in Vancouver and I couldn't do either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Change of plans!

To get to Seatac by like noon or so, we'd have to get up around 4 am for a flight.

We're going to catch a flight the night before, get there around 10pm, crash at an airport hotel and get an early start the next morning. That'll give us the whole day for Olympic national park, the gardens and the night in Victoria.

We're making up that extra day by taking a helicopter from Sonora to Vancouver, which should be pretty amazing! Not sure what that will cost though, hopefully not more than like $400. That'll give us a good part of the day in Vancouver and leave the next morning from Vancouver airport.

Very psyched!

the whole day for Olympic national park, the gardens and the night in Victoria
You're going to drive from Seattle to the rainforest, ferry to Victoria and do the Gardens in one day? If it's doable, that's a hell of a long day. At least IIRC.

We spent four or five hours at Buchart too. Toured the whole place, had the high tea and then went back to the first quarry/garden towards sunset.

the whole day for Olympic national park, the gardens and the night in Victoria
You're going to drive from Seattle to the rainforest, ferry to Victoria and do the Gardens in one day? If it's doable, that's a hell of a long day. At least IIRC.

We spent four or five hours at Buchart too. Toured the whole place, had the high tea and then went back to the first quarry/garden towards sunset.
It's not ideal but I don't think it'll be a problem. It's an add on to the trip. We'll see the highlights of the park, spend a couple of hours in the garden and head to Victoria. We did Yellowstone in one day. It was like a 12 hour day, got up before sunrise and got back in the dark but we saw most of the park except for the lake. We're actually hoping to retire near there so we can really see it.

Man the pics from that hotel website are amazing. Vancouver added to my list of places to visit. Have fun!

Oh and :blackdot: for the trip report...
Yeah, that hotel is the one that made us consider this trip. I would really hate to cut that from the trip although the one we found in Tofino looks awesome too.
I stayed at this place - the Wickanninish - about ten years ago. Incredible views and surroundings, although perhaps a bit too fancy/formal for our tastes. They nearly kicked us out after the second time they caught me smoking a Cuban on the porch outside our room. Super fancy restaurant, we preferred the trailer up the road that had the best fish tacos I've ever eaten. Awesome place to visit.

Yeah, skip ONP for this trip. It's not like Yellowstone where you can drive through.
Just to expand when I'm not on my phone, ONP is not like many national parks where there is a main road you can drive through and see things. It's gigantic and the main road does a circle around the park, and to get to anything interesting you have to go pretty far or take forest roads (do you know forest roads? if not, be prepared to be disappointed) for quite a long time. The perimeter of ONP is not pretty at all, so to get to good stuff you have to take some actual time. There's no way for you to visit the park as a drive-through

As much as it would be great for you to see some of it, I highly recommend you don't wedge it into this trip--in fact, I forbid it. ;)

It's insane, but you can take months and months and not scratch the surface of this area. Take it slowly and have a bunch of great trips instead of messing it up with trying to fit too much in. It pains me to say, but skip ONP and our lovely Olympic peninsula this trip, and we'll see you another time. :)

Man the pics from that hotel website are amazing. Vancouver added to my list of places to visit. Have fun!

Oh and :blackdot: for the trip report...
Yeah, that hotel is the one that made us consider this trip. I would really hate to cut that from the trip although the one we found in Tofino looks awesome too.
I stayed at this place - the Wickanninish - about ten years ago. Incredible views and surroundings, although perhaps a bit too fancy/formal for our tastes. They nearly kicked us out after the second time they caught me smoking a Cuban on the porch outside our room. Super fancy restaurant, we preferred the trailer up the road that had the best fish tacos I've ever eaten. Awesome place to visit.
I actually heard something similar from someone else who stayed there, saying at most to have just one meal there. Plenty of good options in the town of Tofino. We love the high-end resorts but don't do spa things and generally eat off site whenever possible. More into local type of places than the minimalist, gourmet type restaurants. I'll take a fish taco anytime! Thx!

Yeah, skip ONP for this trip. It's not like Yellowstone where you can drive through.
Just to expand when I'm not on my phone, ONP is not like many national parks where there is a main road you can drive through and see things. It's gigantic and the main road does a circle around the park, and to get to anything interesting you have to go pretty far or take forest roads (do you know forest roads? if not, be prepared to be disappointed) for quite a long time. The perimeter of ONP is not pretty at all, so to get to good stuff you have to take some actual time. There's no way for you to visit the park as a drive-through

As much as it would be great for you to see some of it, I highly recommend you don't wedge it into this trip--in fact, I forbid it. ;)

It's insane, but you can take months and months and not scratch the surface of this area. Take it slowly and have a bunch of great trips instead of messing it up with trying to fit too much in. It pains me to say, but skip ONP and our lovely Olympic peninsula this trip, and we'll see you another time. :)
:D

Thanks for the details. I hadn't even looked into the park yet but I get what you're saying. Probably similar to Bear Mountain near me. I'll take yours and wdcrob's advice and save it for another trip. Thx!

Thanks for the details. I hadn't even looked into the park yet but I get what you're saying. Probably similar to Bear Mountain near me. I'll take yours and wdcrob's advice and save it for another trip. Thx!
yeah... JUST like Bear Mountain. :)

sounds like a great trip- jealous.

also amused at Krista having to even mention that she "recently moved" somewhere. (psst... it's a given)

One other minor tip - if you go whale watching in Tofino, it's better to go on one of the smaller boats, rather that the big cruisers. The boats that skim on top of the water on what look like huge inflated inner tubes, where they dress you up in waterproof coveralls. The smaller boats are much faster, maneuver much more quickly and get you right in close to the whales.

One other minor tip - if you go whale watching in Tofino, it's better to go on one of the smaller boats, rather that the big cruisers. The boats that skim on top of the water on what look like huge inflated inner tubes, where they dress you up in waterproof coveralls. The smaller boats are much faster, maneuver much more quickly and get you right in close to the whales.
+1

Plus the smaller boats are open to the air and move more quickly if you're prone to sea sickness.

Found what looks like a great option at SeaTac. Sounds pretty good for an airport hotel

Cedarbrook Lodge
That area is pretty typical for any near a big airport - pretty crummy. That hotel will be just fine though and do the job for sure.

As far as the getting up to OP, yeah that's a really full day with all the other stuff. But, If the weather is somewhat clear, which in should be in August, and you time it right with the ferry in PA (if that is how you are getting to Vancouver Island) you can drive up to Hurricane Ridge pretty easily one-way in under an hour from the PA Ferry. Just the drive up is amazing, then stop at the top or along the way and get some fresh air then pop back down to the ferry.

I like the moxie of fitting all that stuff in!

Going to be a sweet trip. Weather is perfect that time of year and the places you are staying look very nice.

Found what looks like a great option at SeaTac. Sounds pretty good for an airport hotel

Cedarbrook Lodge
That area is pretty typical for any near a big airport - pretty crummy. That hotel will be just fine though and do the job for sure.

As far as the getting up to OP, yeah that's a really full day with all the other stuff. But, If the weather is somewhat clear, which in should be in August, and you time it right with the ferry in PA (if that is how you are getting to Vancouver Island) you can drive up to Hurricane Ridge pretty easily one-way in under an hour from the PA Ferry. Just the drive up is amazing, then stop at the top or along the way and get some fresh air then pop back down to the ferry.

I like the moxie of fitting all that stuff in!

Going to be a sweet trip. Weather is perfect that time of year and the places you are staying look very nice.
Thanks!

We're working on locking down the rooms now. Eventually I'll plan out how we'll get from SeaTac to Victoria and Hurricane Ridge is definitely going to play a part in the decision. Unless we get the ferry on Anacortes and go through the San Juan Islands. One or the other. Coming together nicely, can't wait!

Missed the part where San Juan route was an option. Haven't gone all the way to Canada on the route but have gone to most the islands up there via ferry from Anacortes and it is a very cool ride. That part of Puget Sound is a really unique area. That way would be less driving for sure.

yeah... JUST like Bear Mountain. :)

sounds like a great trip- jealous.

also amused at Krista having to even mention that she "recently moved" somewhere. (psst... it's a given)
:lmao: Hadn't been in this thread for a while. Had never heard of Bear Mountain and looked it up--almost 8 square miles!

Olympic National Park and National Forest are 2,423 square miles. And yes, I know you both were joking but didn't know until I looked up WTF Bear Mountain was.

The General said:
Missed the part where San Juan route was an option. Haven't gone all the way to Canada on the route but have gone to most the islands up there via ferry from Anacortes and it is a very cool ride. That part of Puget Sound is a really unique area. That way would be less driving for sure.
I like the ferry ride but don't like the drive to Anacortes, much of which is not-that-beautiful highway, though you can see the Cascades on the right some of the time. I still like the two-ferry route I gave earlier as a much more scenic--and not much more driving--option. Also if he wants to go to Hurricane Ridge, of course, he wouldn't be able to. On the other hand, in favor of the Anacortes ferry, unless you're stopping somewhere like Hurricane Ridge or to have lunch, look around, etc., coordinating two ferry times is more of a pain than one.

The General said:
I like the ferry ride but don't like the drive to Anacortes, much of which is not-that-beautiful highway, though you can see the Cascades on the right some of the time. I still like the two-ferry route I gave earlier as a much more scenic--and not much more driving--option. Also if he wants to go to Hurricane Ridge, of course, he wouldn't be able to. On the other hand, in favor of the Anacortes ferry, unless you're stopping somewhere like Hurricane Ridge or to have lunch, look around, etc., coordinating two ferry times is more of a pain than one.
I like that I have a bunch of options. I'll probably wait until I see how the weather will be before deciding. How far in advance would I need to book a ferry? Can I buy tix when I pull up or do they usually sell out? (with car)

The General said:
I like that I have a bunch of options. I'll probably wait until I see how the weather will be before deciding. How far in advance would I need to book a ferry? Can I buy tix when I pull up or do they usually sell out? (with car)
Some take reservations and some don't (Edmonds/Kingston and Seattle/Bainbridge don't, for instance). If you can get a reservation, it's advisable as Sunday in summer will be prime time and you can have a long wait (two hours or more) for an open spot if you don't. They open up the reservations in stages--summer reservations will open up two months in advance, then more become available two weeks in advance, then more two days in advance.

In other words, you definitely don't need to do anything now or even for several months.

Coming together.

Almost had to change plans because I was hoping the helicopter would cost $400 but it costs around $400 per person. Plus it doesn't leave the island until 4pm, which kills the day in Vancouver. That was pushing our budget and I thought we might have to forget about Victoria altogether. I really didn't want to do that.

Turns out the Sonora Island resort is all inclusive! Drinks alone will pay for the helicopter ride. We'll save on the car rental instead of leaving it at the lot and the boat itself costs $200 each anyway so it's really just an extra 200 each, or less. We will probably only have in Vancouver from 5PM until around 5pm the next day. Good enough!

Spent a lot of time in Victoria. Went to college across the straights in Port Angeles,WA and would take the Black Ball Ferry across to Victoria. Buchart Gardens is a must. Could spend most of a day just there. Its really the can't miss aspect of Victoria. Don't bother trying to see Olympic National Park. The best aspects are over on the coast which are going to be too far of a drive (Hoh River rain forest and La Push). Hurricane Ridge above Port Angeles can be a nice day hike if you want to take the Ferry across to Victoria from Port Angeles.

Got back last night...great trip!

Book ended by a day in Seattle to start and a day in Vancouver to end it. Both places we've been to before but it was nice to see them again.

Victoria was nice, but as was said here, a half day is all you need. Lots of pub/restaurant options and lots of activity. Buckhart Gardens was ok but kinda boring. Not sure what I expected. Only stayed around an hour.

The Wickaninnish was an incredible hotel with amazing views right by a great beach. Lots of beach and hiking trails all around and the town of Tofino was a pleasant surprise. The food at the Wick was excellent but so were the tacos and burritos at the nearby food truck.

Drove to Campbell River to catch a boat up to Sonora Island Resort (link in OP) Over the top, all-inclusive resort with something for everyone to do. Some minor complaints and we both liked The Wick a little more but it's still an incredible experience. 45 minute helicopter ride to Vancouver capped it off! We lucked out with great weather throughout and it looks like a lot of rain was on the way.

We travel a lot and this was one of our top 5 trips. Beautiful, beautiful part of the world.

:thumbup: Glad you had such a great time and really appreciate that you took the time to write a trip report! I really need to make it to Tofino...

:thumbup: Glad you had such a great time and really appreciate that you took the time to write a trip report! I really need to make it to Tofino...
Thanks for your help, krista! :thumbup:

The whole coast from Tofino to Ucluelet is incredible. Can't imagine how cool the Wild Pacific Trail must look during a storm. The beaches were like 2 different worlds during high and low tide. So much fun just to walk along them.

Took the Victoria Clipper from Seattle. Easy, comfortable ride. People aren't all crammed together.

Thanks for your help, krista! :thumbup:

The whole coast from Tofino to Ucluelet is incredible. Can't imagine how cool the Wild Pacific Trail must look during a storm. The beaches were like 2 different worlds during high and low tide. So much fun just to walk along them.

Took the Victoria Clipper from Seattle. Easy, comfortable ride. People aren't all crammed together.
Fantastic. That is great info!

The food at the Wick was excellent but so were the tacos and burritos at the nearby food truck.
Over ten years ago now, and we still fondly remember the fish tacos at that food truck.
Tacofino!

I saw it highly rated on Tripadvisor and thought it was a Mexican restaurant. Didn't realize it was a truck. Didn't matter, nice walk from the hotel and the food was worth the wait. The place was packed! Only wish I could have gotten a beer with it.

Users who are viewing this thread