What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disturbing video with parents' reaction to son coming out as gay (1 Viewer)

Disgusting

And also, here is a video from another guy and his reaction to the above video

Amazing to me that this is still an issue in our society.
Only got 56 seconds in and killed it because of the obvious political implications of "choice." I still remember when people on the gay activist left insisted it was choice and not biology. And how dumb I felt for my stupid, uninformed troglodyte insistence otherwise that proved correct twenty years later.

I still love how the means or the justification doesn't matter, only the ends and politics.

It started off well enough... she doesn't have to believe that it's not his choice- and she was civil enough for a bit there. First rule- never try to convince somebody who's using non-logic that they're being hypocritical.

Disgusting

Only got 56 seconds in and killed it because of the obvious political implications of "choice." I still remember when people on the gay activist left insisted it was choice and not biology. And how dumb I felt for my stupid, uninformed troglodyte insistence otherwise that proved correct twenty years later.

I still love how the means or the justification doesn't matter, only the ends and politics.
When was this exactly?

Disgusting

Why did you kill the video because of the obvious political implications of "choice"? It sounds like you agree with the kid. In any event, if you had continued watching, you would have seen that the choice/non-choice issue was completely secondary to what was the true tragedy of the events depicted.

Disgusting

When was this exactly?
'95. That's when they were so worried about genetic determinism and abortion that the fashionable thing to do was to insist on the morality of a choice-based homosexual lifestyle.

Hence the word "lifestyle" in all its etymological glory as a political statement about one's sexual preference.

Even the words betray that this was the leftist consensus.

Disgusting

Why did you kill the video because of the obvious political implications of "choice"? It sounds like you agree with the kid. In any event, if you had continued watching, you would have seen that the choice/non-choice issue was completely secondary to what was the true tragedy of the events depicted.
Because when you (me) remembers a while back, when you're getting yelled at in liberal arts classes and treated as pariah for being outspoken in your beliefs that gayness was not a choice, only to see it adopted by the same people that were doing this to you for their own ends...

it's dander raising. I think the main point of mine was that political activists and attention seekers will always be concerned with ends, and not truth. And I do agree with the kid. I remember kids at the age of seven who you knew were gay as the gayest of days.

For people that never experienced left-wing Northeastern liberal arts lockstep mandatory opinions in the face of empiricism, that's fine. But it's a little irritating if you've been through the personal obnoxiousness that are the culture wars.

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?
'95. That's when they were so worried about genetic determinism and abortion that the fashionable thing to do was to insist on the morality of a choice-based homosexual lifestyle.

Hence the word "lifestyle" in all its etymological glory as a political statement about one's sexual preference.

You got any links? Because this liberal doesn't recall that movement at all. In fact all I ever recall hearing was born that way out of my fellow travelers. Always heard lifestyle choice from the right wingers and alleged Christians. You know just like today.

Jaysus said:
Other than yelling, I am not so sure I even know what happened in that video.
Yeah, lots of voices. He was first talking to his mom then some other dame's voice pipes in. Grandma? Two dudes too. Dad I'm assuming and brother? Brother getting violent? Oof.

Jaysus said:
Other than yelling, I am not so sure I even know what happened in that video.
Yeah, lots of voices. He was first talking to his mom then some other dame's voice pipes in. Grandma? Two dudes too. Dad I'm assuming and brother? Brother getting violent? Oof.
I thought grandma (or aunt) was the one beating on him.

Sexuality is behaviorial. It is still not known how much is genetics, biochemical, environment, and choice. And in all likihood it is different for each person.

Sexuality is behaviorial. It is still not known how much is genetics, biochemical, environment, and choice. And in all likihood it is different for each person.
Pretty much where I'm at on it. And it really shouldn't matter.

The absense of religioin would do nothing to eliminate hatred in society. Emotions such as hate, greed, and envy are inherient in people. People are going to hate other people. Maybe geography, maybe politics, maybe skin color. Your manifestiation of hatred towards all things religion is just another example of what you profess to hate.

The absense of religioin would do nothing to eliminate hatred in society. Emotions such as hate, greed, and envy are inherient in people. People are going to hate other people. Maybe geography, maybe politics, maybe skin color. Your manifestiation of hatred towards all things religion is just another example of what you profess to hate.
How many secular leaders do you see condemning homosexuals?

When was the last time you heard somebody making an argument against homosexuality that wasn't rooted in religious beliefs?

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

You got any links? Because this liberal doesn't recall that movement at all. In fact all I ever recall hearing was born that way out of my fellow travelers. Always heard lifestyle choice from the right wingers and alleged Christians. You know just like today.
Weird. That could be generational or regional. I can only recount my experience as a liberal arts guy at a Northeast college and then working on the cusp of Dupont Circle in D.C. in the late nineties.

So I do have links, but they're muddled. The genetic stuff started in the 90's, so the best I can figure, the "choice" argument might have been a natural academic reaction to the deterministic and genetic findings. I think maybe the 90's were different, and that maybe I was in social circles that were sort of ahead of their time, as opposed to how I've presented it, which is that "choice" was modus operandi and justification for the mainstream gay movement in the 90's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/homosexuality--choice-born-science_n_2003361.html.

I think maybe I'm more of a product of a sort of more radical leftist education than most. I guess when you're penning elegies to the Gay 90's and the new phenomenon of "hasbians" that went to college at the time, you're in a bit of a different world than the religious right and NC. This might be an instructive thread for me, because all I know is what I heard about determinism. In writing about college lesbianism in the nineties, the author notes: For lesbians over 45, sexuality wasn’t a choice. It wasn’t popular to come out.

http://nymag.com/nymetro/nightlife/sex/columns/nakedcity/n_8301/

So, all I know is my own experience, and maybe my generalizations aren't correct, though I think they were for my brief moment in time, based upon my own experience. Maybe I was just in proximity with more radical queers back then.

So, all I know is my own experience, and maybe my generalizations aren't correct, though I think they were for my brief moment in time, based upon my own experience. Maybe I was just in proximity with more radical queers back then.
I was in college in the 80s and 90s and I never once heard anyone who was "pro-gay" say that it was a choice. Pretty assbackwards.

In this case, religion is quite obviously a huge influence in her developed beliefs and as such is a primary reason for her rejecting her son and his beliefs. She even says as much.

I don't hate religion. I disagree with it when it comes to views on homosexuality and I find it disappointing when people use it to justify beliefs that are pretty despicable.

I was in college in the 80s and 90s and I never once heard anyone who was "pro-gay" say that it was a choice. Pretty assbackwards.
Yeah, but you can't possibly have read the articles that are talking about queerness and determinism in the nineties. Do you do this often, this quickness?

ditto. and I was in the North East.

Never had a single conversation with my gay friends back then where choice was even mentioned- they all always knew. Since then, I've met maybe one or two people who feel their homosexuality coincided and/or was caused by being sexually molested as younger kids by same sex adults... but that's as choicey as I've heard.

When was the last time you heard somebody making an argument against homosexuality that wasn't rooted in religious beliefs?

What difference does that make which group you target your hatred towards? Hate is hate. butcher boy is casting a rather large net condemning all things religious.

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

Weird. That could be generational or regional. I can only recount my experience as a liberal arts guy at a Northeast college and then working on the cusp of Dupont Circle in D.C. in the late nineties.

So I do have links, but they're muddled. The genetic stuff started in the 90's, so the best I can figure, the "choice" argument might have been a natural academic reaction to the deterministic and genetic findings. I think maybe the 90's were different, and that maybe I was in social circles that were sort of ahead of their time, as opposed to how I've presented it, which is that "choice" was modus operandi and justification for the mainstream gay movement in the 90's.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/homosexuality--choice-born-science_n_2003361.html.

I think maybe I'm more of a product of a sort of more radical leftist education than most. I guess when you're penning elegies to the Gay 90's and the new phenomenon of "hasbians" that went to college at the time, you're in a bit of a different world than the religious right and NC. This might be an instructive thread for me, because all I know is what I heard about determinism. In writing about college lesbianism in the nineties, the author notes: For lesbians over 45, sexuality wasn’t a choice. It wasn’t popular to come out.

I went to a northeast liberal arts college in the 90s and worked in the vicinity of Dupont Circle shortly thereafter (hey neighbor!) and I don't ever remember any faction of the gay rights movement arguing that it was a choice, let alone taking issue with those claiming it was biologically determined.

In this case, religion is quite obviously a huge influence in her developed beliefs and as such is a primary reason for her rejecting her son and his beliefs. She even says as much.

I don't hate religion. I disagree with it when it comes to views on homosexuality and I find it disappointing when people use it to justify beliefs that are pretty despicable.
You should state it as such then.

Would these people be acting this way without their religion?

Jon is right. I will always hate people with atrocious spelling and the absense of religioin won't change that.

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

I went to a northeast liberal arts college in the 90s and worked in the vicinity of Dupont Circle shortly thereafter (hey neighbor!) and I don't ever remember any faction of the gay rights movement arguing that it was a choice, let alone taking issue with those claiming it was biologically determined.
I'm not going to fall on this sword, but here's an example of both, actually. This is exactly what I was talking about. From SUNY-Albany, this professor. I'm serious. Perhaps my experience doesn't match other peoples' experiences, but this was a distinct line of thought back then (1995), especially in the feminist movements of the time.

http://www.slideshare.net/tayoulevy/biological-determinism-and-homosexuality

BTW* Hello, old neighbor, also!

eta2* Note this line "Openly gay or pro-gay scientists have joined traditionally conservative biological determinists..." (1995)

eta3* And I remember the Time article distinctly, as it is what got me in the ####house back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

yeah but were you a a product of a sort of more radical leftist education than most?

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

yeah but were you a a product of a sort of more radical leftist education than most?
I think if you grew up in Northern CT, where Mt Holyoke and Smith are a half an hour from you, and the politics are deep blue, you can claim this.

Sounding like a pompous windbag is another story entirely.

rockaction said:
NCCommish said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

When was this exactly?

I'm not going to fall on this sword, but here's an example of both, actually. This is exactly what I was talking about. From SUNY-Albany, this professor. I'm serious. Perhaps my experience doesn't match other peoples' experiences, but this was a distinct line of thought back then (1995), especially in the feminist movements of the time.

http://www.slideshare.net/tayoulevy/biological-determinism-and-homosexuality

BTW* Hello, old neighbor, also!

eta2* Note this line "Openly gay or pro-gay scientists have joined traditionally conservative biological determinists..." (1995)

eta3* And I remember the Time article distinctly, as it is what got me in the ####house back then.
Yeah totally possible that this was a thing. I don't remember it, but politics makes strange bedfellows. NTTAWWT.

rockaction said:
bigbottom said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

Because when you (me) remembers a while back, when you're getting yelled at in liberal arts classes and treated as pariah for being outspoken in your beliefs that gayness was not a choice, only to see it adopted by the same people that were doing this to you for their own ends...

it's dander raising. I think the main point of mine was that political activists and attention seekers will always be concerned with ends, and not truth. And I do agree with the kid. I remember kids at the age of seven who you knew were gay as the gayest of days.

For people that never experienced left-wing Northeastern liberal arts lockstep mandatory opinions in the face of empiricism, that's fine. But it's a little irritating if you've been through the personal obnoxiousness that are the culture wars.
It's such an irritating issue that you feel compelled to shut down a video where the topic is mentioned, but not so irritating that you are good researching decades old articles and debating the topic on the internet for the ensuing couple hours?

(Just giving you a hard time ;) )

You should state it as such then.
No, instead maybe you shouldn't interpret any criticism of religion as "hatred of all things religion".

rockaction said:
bigbottom said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

You were right, why so serious?

Besides, what did you think you were getting into going to a Northeastern liberal arts college?

What non religious grounds do you see people shielding themselves with when spewing hate towards gays?

Religion empowers the hate by shielding it from having to justify itself on rational grounds. Without religion, there is no leg to stand on here.

rockaction said:
bigbottom said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

It's such an irritating issue that you feel compelled to shut down a video where the topic is mentioned, but not so irritating that you are good researching decades old articles and debating the topic on the internet for the ensuing couple hours?

(Just giving you a hard time ;) )
So darn true. Cognitive dissonance. Seriously. :cool:

rockaction said:
bigbottom said:
rockaction said:
gianmarco said:
Disgusting

You were right, why so serious?

Besides, what did you think you were getting into going to a Northeastern liberal arts college?
Came from a middle class upbringing into a hardcore hippie-left PG year at boarding school, and was honestly so apolitical and clueless that I didn't realize what Northeast universities were like. Hadn't heard that before. In my little hick town, if you went to college, that was living the dream. Our graduating class college rate was about 50%, which is pretty low.

I also came from the left back then. I was in no position to realize how radicalized it had gotten. I was seventeen and thinking FDR and poverty; they were thinking about the New New Left and a century ahead.

And not too serious. Just a bad memory. When the Women's Coalition has four of the seven members of the entire campus on your dang floor your freshman year of college, and it's below zero all the time, you remember your freshman year, that's for sure. We spent most of our time in the gym playing basketball that year, that's all I'll say.

Users who are viewing this thread