What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lache Seastrunk - RB - Baylor (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Most of you guys should already know about this guy but if you don't he's a RB that has straightline speed similar to CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson. There are mixed reviews about this guy and his ability to take a handoff through traffic on an isolation or power run but in my opinion he's got enough substance to be an effective NFL weapon.

I feel like he's a guy that needs to develop a little more in the passing game but the speed cannot be denied. He accelerates past defensive backs, it's kind of crazy. In the right situation, I think production will come.

No way he falls past the 3rd Round. I'd like to see him bulk up just a smidge more. Check him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATV13gzocN0

Last edited by a moderator:
His best high school 100m time was 10.81 with a little bit of a wind at his back. That's pretty fast, but based on times from other guys who ran track in high school, it points towards him being more of a 4.38-4.45 runner than a potential 4.2 guy. For the sake of comparison, I know CJ Spiller ran at least a 10.42 in high school.

Wow. His long speed and second level burst is elite. Vision and lateral movement are plus. I'd love to see him on a team like the Eagles.

Broad jumped 11'2....his measurables will be great. But watch him on film...many holes to his game.
Like what? I'd like to know.
Right from my rankings thread:

10) Lache Seastrunk 5-10 210 Baylor

2013: 158 for 1177 7.4 11 TD, no receptions

2012: 131 for 1012 7.7 7 TD, 9 rec for 107 1 TD

Comparison: Michael Bennett

Seastrunk is an unbelievable athlete with great speed. If he has space, he can definitely go the distance. However, when he doesnt have space provided through great blocking, hes not going to do well in the NFL. Seastrunk, despite his thick lower body, has poor power running with the football. Ive seen Seastrunk brought down by too many arm tackles in the NCAA, its only going to get worse at the next level. He also lacks football instincts or the aggressive attitude needed to be a RB. He tries to run around everyone and that wont work at the next level. Seastrunk has a lot of work to do in the mentality of the RB, much like Reggie Bush needed. The vast space provided for Seastrunk is a byproduct of the spread offense Baylor runs, all of their RBs succeed in that offense. For being a speed RB, Seastrunk doesnt possess great agility; normally those two things would correlate for a RB prospect to be successful at the next level. Lastly, most speed RBs can catch the football, but Seastrunk has 9 career receptions in college and hes not a good blocker. I used to be alone on these boards discussing my concerns about Seastrunk last year, but now I think many have started to come around. Hes an athlete trying to play the RB position and needs a lot of work to his game.

FF wise: RB1 to RBBC player. Its all on Seastrunks development and usage in the NFL.

I find it odd you question his agility. It's one of his strengths IMO.
It's what I see on film, I don't read other's analysis. People think he's great at using agility? I think he runs around people more often and does that weird leaning thing.

It's what I see on film, I don't read other's analysis. People think he's great at using agility? I think he runs around people more often and does that weird leaning thing.
I think you don't see his agility on tape often because he's got the straightline speed to beat most people but I agree that his agility is there as well. He'll be called to use his agility to make more people miss in the NFL than in college though.

Which, I think he's capable of doing.

I think you don't see his agility on tape often because he's got the straightline speed to beat most people but I agree that his agility is there as well. He'll be called to use his agility to make more people miss in the NFL than in college though.

Which, I think he's capable of doing.
I watch full games, perhaps I should clarify his agility. Seastrunk can make defenders miss using just his agility. However, he stops his feet doing it by doing lateral jump cuts and it takes him a bit to get going again. This allows pursuit to make up ground and get to him(worse in the NFL). I would much rather like players to use agility that makes defenders miss but doesn't totally rob them of momentum.

I like his potential but he's not CJ
CJ actually has underperformed to date in the NFL, so that might be a good thing.
That's not true.
Your subjective opinion is noted.
Facts:

6th most rushing yardage in a season

Top 50 rushing all time

6th most rushing yards of active RBs. All of those in front of him have been in the NFL longer.

top 20 active rushing/receiving TDs. All others in the top 25 have been in the NFL longer

but yeah, he's underperformed.

CJ actually has underperformed to date in the NFL, so that might be a good thing.
That's not true.
Facts:

Top 50 rushing all time

6th most rushing yards of active RBs. All of those in front of him have been in the NFL longer.

top 20 active rushing/receiving TDs. All others in the top 25 have been in the NFL longer

It would help if you were talking about the same player. Everyone else is talking about CJ Spiller. You seem to be talking about Chris Johnson.

FUBAR said:
buck naked said:
MoveToSkypager said:
buck naked said:
FUBAR said:
That's not true.
Facts:

Top 50 rushing all time

the discussion was about spiller not Johnson. Spiller hasn't been anything special.

gianmarco said:
FUBAR said:
buck naked said:
MoveToSkypager said:
buck naked said:
FUBAR said:
That's not true.
Facts:

Top 50 rushing all time

It would help if you were talking about the same player. Everyone else is talking about CJ Spiller. You seem to be talking about Chris Johnson.
:shrug: I use initials, not first names with these guys. And the OP stated: "he's a RB that has straightline speed similar to CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson" so no, not everyone is talking about Spiller. Buck naked seems to have been, and I'll actually agree that Spiller should do more than he has. But he's young.

Nice workout. A little lighter than I hoped and a touch slower, but those jumps were nasty. This guy has a lot of juice in his legs. With Hyde and Hill sliding after today, I think he's probably on track to be the top RB prospect on my rankings. I'm going to take a second look at Mason and Sankey before I officially decide, but right now I'd say Lache is the frontrunner.

Nice workout. A little lighter than I hoped and a touch slower, but those jumps were nasty. This guy has a lot of juice in his legs. With Hyde and Hill sliding after today, I think he's probably on track to be the top RB prospect on my rankings. I'm going to take a second look at Mason and Sankey before I officially decide, but right now I'd say Lache is the frontrunner.
Pretty much where I am. Seastrunk and Mason 1,2.

Ditto. I think Sankey is my third too. Then I need to think about the fourth...

All 3 of you are sliding down Hyde/Hill and bumping up Seastrunk due to the underwear olympics? I can see a little here and there due to the combine, but not that much. Seastrunk just isn't a full time NFL RB and that's due to a lack of vision/power/stopping his feet/instincts. I don't care how far he can jump from a standing position. He had a 4.51 official...for a speed back he dropped, much less rose in my rankings.

All 3 of you are sliding down Hyde/Hill and bumping up Seastrunk due to the underwear olympics? I can see a little here and there due to the combine, but not that much. Seastrunk just isn't a full time NFL RB and that's due to a lack of vision/power/stopping his feet/instincts. I don't care how far he can jump from a standing position. He had a 4.51 official...for a speed back he dropped, much less rose in my rankings.
My opinion of Seastrunk didn't change today whatsoever. The 40 time doesn't bother me. On the field, with pads on, he's the fastest, shiftiest back in this class. His explosiveness is special.

He was my #1 back a month ago and still my #1 back today. If anything he solidified himself as the #1 guy for me. He looked great in the receiving drills and backed up what I thought all along, he wasn't used as a receiver, but it didn't mean he couldn't catch.

ETA: I think Hill would be my #3 guy behind Mason and ahead of Sankey. I think he showed enough at the combine to confirm who he is. He lacks the top end speed but his initial burst and his feet are impressive for his size. I see a lot of Lacy in his game. Sankey is ahead of him if I'm playing it safe, but I think he can put the off field stuff behind him.

I like Seastrunk, but I also didn't care what Hyde or Hill ran in the 40 or any other combine stuff. They were good football players playing well against good football players. That's more important to me.

Disclaimer: I only play PPR

I agree that the Seastrunk 40 time isn't that concerning. My biggest concern for him this combine was how he looked catching the ball, and what I saw was encouraging. He'll likely need a decent amount of time to learn pass protection, so that's still a hurdle he'll need to overcome (as it is for many college backs), but the overall this combine is a "plus" in his column for me.

I don't know that he's my #1 guy post-combine/pre-draft, as I'd like to see the cone/shuttle data before I finalize that, but I think he's firmly in my top 5 at this point barring something really unexpected.

Carey had an abysmal day. I'm not sure what to make of him at this point. A. Williams' performance in the passing drills will likely earn him a ranking that neuters any chance of me drafting him.

Edit:

My pre-combine top 5 was Seastrunk, Sankey, Carey, Mason, Hyde (in that order).

Based off what I've seen so far this weekend, Carey will be dropping out and Sims will be moving in. There might be some more movement when the results of the other drills come out.

And for all these guys where they land is crucial, of course
Agreed 100%.

When you think of teams in need of RBs this draft you have: Cleveland, NYJ, Oakland, Atlanta?, Titans?, Jags?.
I'd add NYG in t here.
I was thinking about them too. Guess it depends if they bring Brown back and if Wilson keeps improving. Wouldn't rule out a RB for them, but they may not take one as high as the other teams.

Rotoworld:

Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk ran an official 4.51 second forty time and his 11-foot-2 broad jump was the sixth-longest at the NFL's Scouting Combine since 2006.

Scouts use the broad jump to gauge a running back's lower-body strength and potential explosion on the field, so Seastrunk's showing here was extremely encouraging. As if there were any more questions, the former Bears' star led all running backs at the combine with a 41 1/2-inch vertical jump. Seastrunk will fit in well with a team that spreads it out offensively and uses its backs in the passing game (though Baylor rarely deployed Seastrunk as a receiver, it should be noted). He isn't being discussed with as much enthusiasm as he deserves, as many evaluators prefer a bigger back such as Carlos Hyde or Jeremy Hill and don't see a Top-5 RB.

This guy looks like the recipe to be yet another extremely frustrating fantasy player. He dazzles you with speed but, year after year, we see that if you can not run inside, the speed trick lasts about one season.

The thing he is going to have a problem with in the NFL is, while his agility is really impressive (and I have to say his balance and the way he keeps his feet underneath his body is rare), he commits the cardinal sin of not keeping his feet moving. He has basketball moves instead of football moves and that stopping works in college but in the NFL, the competition is faster...Much faster. He won't get away with it at the NFL level.

In contrast, look at a guy like Bishop Sankey and you will see a player who might change direction 5-6 times in a run that only goes 7 yards but he never interupts the flow of his feet. As soon as the direction changes, the other foot is alread crossing back into the area under his center of balance. Sankey will be a highly effective runner in the NFL, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread