What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

I know we as dynasty owners aren't afraid of ACL's anymore, but when was the last time any player with a torn ACL less than six months earlier went in the 1st round? I think it's far more likely someone gets great value in the 2nd round because NFL teams are way too conservative to take Gurley anywhere near where he would have gone healthy. I think a good team trades into the top of the 2nd for him.
If this happens, a good team will get a hell of a lot better.

I know we as dynasty owners aren't afraid of ACL's anymore, but when was the last time any player with a torn ACL less than six months earlier went in the 1st round? I think it's far more likely someone gets great value in the 2nd round because NFL teams are way too conservative to take Gurley anywhere near where he would have gone healthy. I think a good team trades into the top of the 2nd for him.
Didn't the Pats literally just do it this past draft with Easley?
I thought Easley's injury was more extensive than just an ACL. Not Lattimore-esque, but, complicated.

Yea, the Gurley fanboys are in a bit of denial. DraftScout has him with a projected draft position of the 1st-2nd round after the injury, whereas they have Gordon as a solid 1. That may ultimately be a conservative projection for Gurley and he could certainly go higher if teams in the second half of the first round really love him, but I don't see top 15 as being very realistic right now. There are lots of good talents in the typical draft class, so why not just take a healthy OT/CB/S/WR/QB who has a first round grade instead of a RB (low positional value) coming off a serious injury?

Just curious as to the guys you like the most later in the 1st? I currently own 3 1st rounders this year and the highest one is #6 overall (just missed playoffs) and the other 2 are still TBD, but later. I keep floating around the idea of trading up to get Gordon or Gurley as I'm desperate for an elite RB, but I don't even know if giving up 2 of my later 1st's would be enough in my league and I hate the thought of giving that all up if I can get 3 shots later in the draft to land a guy of equal value.
Situation is so important for RBs that a second tier talent could pretty easily have top value if he lands in a great opportunity. Right now guys like Jerick McKinnon, Eddie Lacy, Tre Mason, and CJ Anderson have weekly starting value. By and large, they weren't regarded as ELITE talents in their respective draft classes. If you get a "good" player in a great opportunity, you're going to see some nice production. This is a pretty deep RB class and someone like Artis-Payne, Abdullah, or Yeldon could be pretty valuable next year if he goes to a wide open situation in the 2nd-3rd round.

That said, I think Gordon, Cooper, Gurley, White, Funchess, Parker, and Tyreek Hill are guys who either might go in the first round or might have "first round talent." Others like Coleman, Coates, and Green-Beckham could make things interesting, but are more likely going on day two. Personally, I think Ameer Abdullah is a good prospect and I think Michael Dyer could do some damage out of the day three/UDFA route. I think the depth of this class is pretty good (especially at RB) and there a number of other mid-round guys who have a chance to do something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this Clowney all over again? Gurley is a top5 talent, I doubt he slips out of the top10 regardless of his pro day.
Clowney's positional value >>>>>>>> Gurley's positional value. You can have an effective ground game with 2nd and 3rd rate backs, you don't need a special back. Can't have an effective defense with 2nd and 3rd rate performance from your defensive front.
You can get an effective rushing offense from a second tier running back in certain situations, when everything clicks perfectly. A team with a great offensive line opening holes, or an effective passing game keeping defenders away from the line can get away with an average ball carrier. But even such a fortunate offense would be that much better with a transformative talent like Gurley.

And anyhow, just because you can succeed with a mediocre running back, doesn't mean you will. Not every team has the pieces to pull it off.
You can make a similar case for every position on the field. Which one has the most impact on a team's performance? Every team has to play deficient at some position. It's the nature of how the game is today with the salary cap and the way the draft is setup. It's easier to be competitive and win games being deficient at RB than DE, DT, CB, etc. It's also easier to find competent RB's cheaply. Healthy Gurley is great, but if I have a choice between an A rated RB (Gurley) and an A- rated DE then I'm taking the end.

Situation is so important for RBs that a second tier talent could pretty easily have top value if he lands in a great opportunity. Right now guys like Jerick McKinnon, Eddie Lacy, Tre Mason, and CJ Anderson have weekly starting value. By and large, they weren't regarded as ELITE talents in their respective draft classes. If you get a "good" player in a great opportunity, you're going to see some nice production. This is a pretty deep RB class and someone like Artis-Payne, Abdullah, or Yeldon could be pretty valuable next year if he goes to a wide open situation in the 2nd-3rd round.
How many Johnathan Franklins does it take to make an Eddie Lacey?

I get the point you're making, but it's not just Franklin vs. Lacy. It's Franklin + whatever else you get in the trade vs. Lacy. It doesn't even have to be Franklin at all.

Immediate example that comes to mind, I had the 1.12 in 2013. I didn't think the value at that point in the draft was all that different from about then until 10-15 picks later. I was offered 2.12 and 3.1 and took it. I was a pick away from getting Ogletree + Alonso, but Alonso went right in front of me and I took Denard Robinson instead.

Everyone will look at every draft differently, but I see this year's draft a lot like I saw picks 10-27 or so in 2013. There are a few better bets than the rest, but the quality of the second tier is not only deep but it's strong too.

Similar story last year. I held pick 1.3 (would have been Evans or Hyde). I was offered 1.8 and 2.8 and I took the deal. Evans is doing very well and Hyde may be the lead guy next year. However, I may have two starters instead of just one as I took ODB and Davante Adams. I didn't know who was going to fall, but I felt like either ODB or Cooks would probably be there at 1.8 and that one of Adams, Moncrief, Robinson, etc. would be there at 2.8.

Perceived difference by the public and my own outlook is what drove those two trades. Public thought there was X difference, I thought it was Y, creating value from both my POV and my trading partner.

Yes.
End of the 1st round, much higher positional value, and on top of that Belichick and the Patriots FO has a long history of operating differently in the draft than the majority of the NFL. A good example that slipped my mind, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Agreed.

I get the point you're making, but it's not just Franklin vs. Lacy. It's Franklin + whatever else you get in the trade vs. Lacy. It doesn't even have to be Franklin at all.

Immediate example that comes to mind, I had the 1.12 in 2013. I didn't think the value at that point in the draft was all that different from about then until 10-15 picks later. I was offered 2.12 and 3.1 and took it. I was a pick away from getting Ogletree + Alonso, but Alonso went right in front of me and I took Denard Robinson instead.

Everyone will look at every draft differently, but I see this year's draft a lot like I saw picks 10-27 or so in 2013. There are a few better bets than the rest, but the quality of the second tier is not only deep but it's strong too.

Similar story last year. I held pick 1.3 (would have been Evans or Hyde). I was offered 1.8 and 2.8 and I took the deal. Evans is doing very well and Hyde may be the lead guy next year. However, I may have two starters instead of just one as I took ODB and Davante Adams. I didn't know who was going to fall, but I felt like either ODB or Cooks would probably be there at 1.8 and that one of Adams, Moncrief, Robinson, etc. would be there at 2.8.

Perceived difference by the public and my own outlook is what drove those two trades. Public thought there was X difference, I thought it was Y, creating value from both my POV and my trading partner.
I guess my point was, how many times do you need to swing and miss on mid - late round running backs until you find one? How many Silas Redd's do you have to pick up before you get Alfred Morris? Green Bay serves as a perfect example of a team who's went years trying to find that late round gem running back, until they bit the bullet and put up a moderate investment. Yet they've still only managed to find acceptable effectiveness.

Agreed.
For some reason I can't get the thought of Gurley going to the Seahawks out of my head. If that happened, I'm sure he would go 1st overall in rookie drafts. I know no player wants to get injured, especially as they are about to go into the draft, but in the long run it could really be a blessing to the player.

I guess my point was, how many times do you need to swing and miss on mid - late round running backs until you find one? How many Silas Redd's do you have to pick up before you get Alfred Morris? Green Bay serves as a perfect example of a team who's went years trying to find that late round gem running back, until they bit the bullet and put up a moderate investment. Yet they've still only managed to find acceptable effectiveness.
Ah, I missed your point. Thought you were talking fantasy.

Real life, quantity quantity and more quantity. The supply of RB's is greater than the demand. Get 4 of them cheaply then let them duke it out. Expect 1 or 2 of them to emerge from the rubble then restock the next offseason - rinse, and repeat. I think it's what the Browns are doing right now. Went into camp with a mid round rook (West), undrafted rook (Crow), veteran free agent (Tate), and wildcard (Dion Lewis). West and Crow have emerged. Add two more (one mid-late pick, one cheap free agent) then repeat the process. It'll take a couple-few years to get going since these guys started from scratch and there will be some misses, but as long as they hit one per year it'll be a solid or better backfield in a couple years. All while spending premium picks at premium positions.

Real life, quantity quantity and more quantity. The supply of RB's is greater than the demand. Get 4 of them cheaply then let them duke it out. Expect 1 or 2 of them to emerge from the rubble then restock the next offseason - rinse, and repeat. I think it's what the Browns are doing right now. Went into camp with a mid round rook (West), undrafted rook (Crow), veteran free agent (Tate), and wildcard (Dion Lewis). West and Crow have emerged. Add two more (one mid-late pick, one cheap free agent) then repeat the process. It'll take a couple-few years to get going since these guys started from scratch and there will be some misses, but as long as they hit one per year it'll be a solid or better backfield in a couple years. All while spending premium picks at premium positions.
Generally, I agree with this strategy. If a draft has a bunch of Andre Williams, Charles Sims, or Bishop Sankeys, a team is wise to take the shot-gun approach.

Occasionally, though, a player will come along and make you reconsider. Perhaps I'm guilty of overrating Gurley, but I think he is that player. End the running back carousel by landing an elite player who will instantly help your offense in a way no other player could.

Generally, I agree with this strategy. If a draft has a bunch of Andre Williams, Charles Sims, or Bishop Sankeys, a team is wise to take the shot-gun approach.

Occasionally, though, a player will come along and make you reconsider. Perhaps I'm guilty of overrating Gurley, but I think he is that player. End the running back carousel by landing an elite player who will instantly help your offense in a way no other player could.
You may or may not be over valuing Gurley and I may or may not be under valuing him. You'd rather be wrong with him on your team and I'd rather be wrong with him elsewhere. Nothing wrong with either approach. Until one of us is wrong anyway.

Agreed.
For some reason I can't get the thought of Gurley going to the Seahawks out of my head. If that happened, I'm sure he would go 1st overall in rookie drafts. I know no player wants to get injured, especially as they are about to go into the draft, but in the long run it could really be a blessing to the player.
I have this same sneaking suspicion.

Oh, and that sound you hear is the muffled screams of Christine Michael owners everywhere.

Yes.
End of the 1st round, much higher positional value, and on top of that Belichick and the Patriots FO has a long history of operating differently in the draft than the majority of the NFL. A good example that slipped my mind, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Much worse injury and not as highly rated a player as well. I think people are overblowing the impact this will have on his draft stock. It probably hurts a little, but if he was a high first rounder prior he doesn't drop to the 2nd because of it. Barring setbacks.

Yes.
Much worse injury and not as highly rated a player as well. I think people are overblowing the impact this will have on his draft stock. It probably hurts a little, but if he was a high first rounder prior he doesn't drop to the 2nd because of it. Barring setbacks.
I read multiple places that Easley was a top 10 pick pre injury.

Yes.
Where? I hadn't read that once.

Anybody want to take a shot at the top 12 prospects in order for a PPR league?

Gordon

Gurley

Cooper

Parker

Then who's the next 8?

Gordon

Gurley

Cooper

Parker

Then who's the next 8?
1.Gurley

>

2.Gordon

>>>>

3.Cooper

>>

4.Ajayi

5.Coleman

6.Abdullah

7.Duke Johnson

8.Parker

9.Montgomery

10.Funchess

11.Mariotta

12.Mike Davis

I just started researching, so I'm sure my opinion will change a lot till early May.

Gordon

Gurley

Cooper

Parker

Then who's the next 8?
1.Gurley

>

2.Gordon

>>>>

3.Cooper

>>

4.Ajayi

5.Coleman

6.Abdullah

7.Duke Johnson

8.Parker

9.Montgomery

10.Funchess

11.Mariotta

12.Mike Davis

I just started researching, so I'm sure my opinion will change a lot till early May.
Yeah it's early plus the combine and the actual draft will change a lot of rankings. Still fun to talk about it. I'm grabbing ODB if he comes out this year and falls to the back end of the draft.

Gordon

Gurley

Cooper

Parker

Then who's the next 8?
1.Gurley

>

2.Gordon

>>>>

3.Cooper

>>

4.Ajayi

5.Coleman

6.Abdullah

7.Duke Johnson

8.Parker

9.Montgomery

10.Funchess

11.Mariotta

12.Mike Davis

I agree with the top 3(as most everyone will).

4-Parker

5-Ajayi

6-DGB(wildcard)

7-Kevin White

8-Mike Davis

9-Coleman

10-Funchess

11-Duke Williams

12- Sammie Coates

4-Parker

7-Kevin White
I have a feeling Parker will slide after the combine, sort of like Allen Robinson last year. To me, he doesn't appear to have a lot of speed. I would gladly have him with my 8th-12th pick, but top 5 is a little rich.

I omitted Kevin White for some accidental reason. Though now that I think about it, he's probably my second favorite receiver.

Yes.
Where? I hadn't read that once.
it was referenced several times in my twitter feed, so...brugler...Matt miller...Riddle...Middlekauff...Jeremiah...Bramel...Waldman...Sig...Clay...others. Don't remember who and exactly when, it was six to eight months ago so I'm not gonna look.

4-Parker

7-Kevin White
I have a feeling Parker will slide after the combine, sort of like Allen Robinson last year. To me, he doesn't appear to have a lot of speed. I would gladly have him with my 8th-12th pick, but top 5 is a little rich.

I omitted Kevin White for some accidental reason. Though now that I think about it, he's probably my second favorite receiver.
Even if Parker runs a 4.5, he's going to glide like a gazelle and pluck the hell out of the ball in the gauntlet, and absolutely destroy the vertical and broad jumps. I think his stock goes even higher after the combine.

4-Parker

7-Kevin White

Even if Parker runs a 4.5, he's going to glide like a gazelle and pluck the hell out of the ball in the gauntlet, and absolutely destroy the vertical and broad jumps. I think his stock goes even higher after the combine.
I haven't watched a ton of Parker, but he gives off a Jeffery vibe

4-Parker

7-Kevin White

He's what we want Justin Hunter to be.

4-Parker

7-Kevin White

Which is basically AJ Green-slightly-lite, in a lot of ways.

4-Parker

7-Kevin White

Justin Hunter isn't going to be what people thought(elite WR). I saw some stat that he's had the worst catch % of any WR over the last 2 years.

I agree that Parker is a better athlete than Jeffery though.

With today's technology and considering all the information we've received about Gurley being a good kid and hard worker. Count me as one who's not afraid of his injury. I still think at the end of the day over his career will be the best of this class.

Tex

With today's technology and considering all the information we've received about Gurley being a good kid and hard worker. Count me as one who's not afraid of his injury. I still think at the end of the day over his career will be the best of this class.

Tex
I agree, i'm not worried over an ACL. Quantity argument doesn't equal quality. Take every other RB, i'll take Gurley/Gordon and we'll see which FF team is better in the future.

ConnSKINS26 said:
cloppbeast said:
tdmills said:
4-Parker

7-Kevin White

Been trying to think of a good comparison for him. Nothing really comes to mind. He seems to play bigger and stronger than his listed weight of 208 pounds. Pretty good speed from what I can tell. Average quickness and agility. Not particularly creative with the ball in his hands, though he'll make some plays in that area sometimes (had one last week). I'd be temped to compare him to Muhsin Muhammad, but he might be a little less of a possession guy and a little more of a deep threat.

Muhammad wasn't much of a big play artist in the NFL. He averaged just 13.3 yards per catch during his pro career. However, he averaged 17.3 yards per catch on 50 catches as a senior at Michigan State. Parker is at 21.0 on 35 grabs this year, but that's propped up by his 6 for 180 day against Kentucky in the most recent game. He'll probably finish around 19, which would be within shouting distance of Muhammad's senior year.

Xue can you repost that Cooper 40 time. Not sure why it's such a repeated opinion that he's not an explosive athlete. Looks pretty darn explosive to me and that clip seemed to back it up.

Xue can you repost that Cooper 40 time. Not sure why it's such a repeated opinion that he's not an explosive athlete. Looks pretty darn explosive to me and that clip seemed to back it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzEcKUzPLs
Thanks, I'm guessing it's that Kiper blub from a while back that people are regurgitating, but I don't see any difference from Cooper and Watkins in almost every category. I think Cooper even has an edge in route running right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzEcKUzPLs
Thanks, I'm guessing it's that Kiper blub from a while back that people are regurgitating, but I don't see any difference from Cooper and Watkins in almost every category. I think Cooper even has an edge in route running right now.
I think Watkins has an explosive element to him on the field that I think Cooper lacks, but at this point it's just splitting hairs. Cooper moves so effortlessly that even if he doesn't get out of 4th gear even the best still can't cover him. The only negative with Cooper is he probably won't get much better than he is right now, but he's already great so it's not really a negative at all.

Only two senior games of Parker's are available to watch at draftscout, hardly enough. From what little is available, I can see he uses his frame and long arms well, maneuvering to make catches even when he doesn't get open and doing well in jump ball situations. Using proper technique, he maintains space with his long arms and gets open with pretty good routes; then gets up field with the ball in his hands, no hesitation.

I'm a little torn about his speed though. I really don't think he'll blow past anybody at the next level. After getting past NC State corner Jack Tocho (1), later in the same game can't manage to get past Juston Burris (2). Against FSU, safety Justin Hunter chases him down even with a poor angle (3).

Talk me out of being alarmed by a lack of deep speed as a glaring weakness with Parker.

Only two senior games of Parker's are available to watch at draftscout, hardly enough. From what little is available, I can see he uses his frame and long arms well, maneuvering to make catches even when he doesn't get open and doing well in jump ball situations. Using proper technique, he maintains space with his long arms and gets open with pretty good routes; then gets up field with the ball in his hands, no hesitation.

I'm a little torn about his speed though. I really don't think he'll blow past anybody at the next level. After getting past NC State corner Jack Tocho (1), later in the same game can't manage to get past Juston Burris (2). Against FSU, safety Justin Hunter chases him down even with a poor angle (3).

Talk me out of being alarmed by a lack of deep speed as a glaring weakness with Parker.
He said after the FSU game he wasn't 100% yet and still had pain in his foot.

Just wait for the Kentucky game. Looked his best yet.

Gordon

Gurley

Cooper

Parker

Then who's the next 8?
1.Gurley

>

2.Gordon

>>>>

3.Cooper

>>

4.Ajayi

5.Coleman

6.Abdullah

7.Duke Johnson

8.Parker

9.Montgomery

10.Funchess

11.Mariotta

12.Mike Davis

Shouldn't be a gap between Gurley and Gordon. As much as I like Gurley, Gordon is the real deal. He is going to be an absolute stud at the next level, especially when he is drafted by the Colts.

Users who are viewing this thread