What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Austin (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
Miles had two huge games to open the season and then he got hurt and missed a couple games then came back too soon and got hurt again and missed 4 games. Owners have sat on him all season while watching Austins production fall to Laurant Robinson. Austin practiced with the team yesterday while Robinson was out. The Giants secondary is a very favorable matchup and this game could very well be a score fest. What do you see as Austin's floor and ceiling? Personally I think his floor could be he gets hurt early in the game and gets you nothing but his ceiling could be a repeat of week 2 where he had 9 receptions for 142 yards and 3 Tds in the game. Boom! or Bust?

Who are you starting him over?

I am starting him over Andre Johnson, Santana Moss and Pierre Garson

Last edited by a moderator:
Id like to hear more practice report info and get an idea of his snap count for his first game back. For me, its between him and damian williams. I hate that austin is the sunday night game.

Id like to hear more practice report info and get an idea of his snap count for his first game back. For me, its between him and damian williams. I hate that austin is the sunday night game.
Sunday night sucks unless you have Robinson and Austin. I happen to have both and I am playing against Romo, so this is a big decision. If Austin is a full go on Friday I will probably roll with him. If they both are full go, I might have to think about sitting AJ Green and play both to try to neutralize Romo's TD's. Good idea? or not?

Im facing this decision too... also have Lance Moore to debate about too...I think that Dallas will throw against a porous NYG D, and it should be quite the shootout

starting both Austin and Robinson could be a good play if it's a shootout, as it likely will be. if Robinson's shoulder is an issue -- and it might be -- then Austin is a great start.

Sunday night sucks unless you have Robinson and Austin. I happen to have both and I am playing against Romo, so this is a big decision. If Austin is a full go on Friday I will probably roll with him. If they both are full go, I might have to think about sitting AJ Green and play both to try to neutralize Romo's TD's. Good idea? or not?
Out of those three, which two do you project to score the most points? Start those two.

Im starting Dez and Austin. Here is the latest news on Robinson:

cbs.com

In a strange twist of events on Thursday, Cowboys WR Laurent Robinson's status for Week 14 against the Giants remains in question. Early on Thursday all the reports were that Robinson returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday because of a shoulder injury. However, when the Cowboys released their official injury report, Robinson was listed as a did not practice for a second straight day.

'Breesisdaman said:
Im starting Dez and Austin. Here is the latest news on Robinson:cbs.comIn a strange twist of events on Thursday, Cowboys WR Laurent Robinson's status for Week 14 against the Giants remains in question. Early on Thursday all the reports were that Robinson returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday because of a shoulder injury. However, when the Cowboys released their official injury report, Robinson was listed as a did not practice for a second straight day.
This might turn out yet. I have to go search out some news on how Austin looked in practice today.Austin was limited again in practice today......

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4687883/austin-robinson-ready-to-go-vs-giants

Austin had hoped to return last week against Arizona, but the extra week helped him get more in tune with the game plan during the week of practice. He said his leg feels good and he does not expect to knock off any rust in terms of getting used to Tony Romo again.

“I’m just saying in the way of the actual fundamentals of running routes, we have a good feel,” Austin said.

Miles had two huge games to open the season and then he got hurt and missed a couple games then came back too soon and got hurt again and missed 4 games. Owners have sat on him all season while watching Austins production fall to Laurant Robinson. Austin practiced with the team yesterday while Robinson was out. The Giants secondary is a very favorable matchup and this game could very well be a score fest. What do you see as Austin's floor and ceiling? Personally I think his floor could be he gets hurt early in the game and gets you nothing but his ceiling could be a repeat of week 2 where he had 9 receptions for 142 yards and 3 Tds in the game. Boom! or Bust?Who are you starting him over? I am starting him over Andre Johnson, Santana Moss and Pierre Garson
Unless we hear any negative news about Miles, to me it's a no brainer to start him over those guys. Yes, Pierre had a huge game last week but that was against the Pats who give up points against Wr's and most of his came in garbage time, I doubt he gets that kind of yardage this week.Dallas is in a very competitive game, so Miles will be used as often as Dallas can get him the ball. I expect him to have a solid week, I would expect 5 or 6 receptions, 70 to 80 yards and a good chance at a TD. Tony Romo has always had a good connection with Miles so they should be able to pick things up where they left off.

Miles had two huge games to open the season and then he got hurt and missed a couple games then came back too soon and got hurt again and missed 4 games. Owners have sat on him all season while watching Austins production fall to Laurant Robinson. Austin practiced with the team yesterday while Robinson was out. The Giants secondary is a very favorable matchup and this game could very well be a score fest. What do you see as Austin's floor and ceiling? Personally I think his floor could be he gets hurt early in the game and gets you nothing but his ceiling could be a repeat of week 2 where he had 9 receptions for 142 yards and 3 Tds in the game. Boom! or Bust?

Who are you starting him over?

I am starting him over Andre Johnson, Santana Moss and Pierre Garson
Unless we hear any negative news about Miles, to me it's a no brainer to start him over those guys. Yes, Pierre had a huge game last week but that was against the Pats who give up points against Wr's and most of his came in garbage time, I doubt he gets that kind of yardage this week.Dallas is in a very competitive game, so Miles will be used as often as Dallas can get him the ball. I expect him to have a solid week, I would expect 5 or 6 receptions, 70 to 80 yards and a good chance at a TD. Tony Romo has always had a good connection with Miles so they should be able to pick things up where they left off.
Hm, who's playing the Pats this week?

Fri, 09 Dec 2011 13:33:10 -0800

Dallas Cowboys WR Miles Austin (hamstring) was limited in practice Friday, Dec. 9, and is questionable for Week 14.

So is this the "limited" where he can't do what it will take to play, or the "limited" where he just didn't take all the reps?

I really thought by Fri he would have a full practice. Makes this difficult. Hopefully something else will pop up on Robinson or Austin today.

Roto has both starting and it seems like it's a toss up as to who scores more points. Then there's the " don't start a player 1st game back" line of thinking.

Miles Austin (hamstring) is listed as questionable for Sunday Night Football against the Giants.

Despite a limited week of practice and the "questionable" tag, Austin is fully expected to be active and start the game. Rotoworld has Austin ranked 15th among fantasy receivers for Week 14. Giants-Cowboys projects as a potential shootout, so both Austin and Dez Bryant could emerge with productive efforts. Dec 9 - 3:46 PM

Laurent Robinson (shoulder, questionable) reiterated Friday that he fully plans to play on Sunday Night Football.

Robinson will wear extra padding on his separated shoulder, but he should be active for third receiver duties behind Dez Bryant and Miles Austin. "It felt good to be running around and it felt good to be back with the guys," Robinson said Friday. "The shoulder felt good. I’m ready to roll for Sunday." Dec 9 - 3:06 PM

Anyone rolling with Austin tonight? Keep going back and forth between him and Keenan Allen, Thompkins, and Edelman for my last spot.

Sure, I guess you never know with Miles' hambone but he practiced in full all week and has a great chance at a big game tonight. Im thinking the risk is worth the reward right now.

Anyone rolling with Austin tonight? Keep going back and forth between him and Keenan Allen, Thompkins, and Edelman for my last spot.

Sure, I guess you never know with Miles' hambone but he practiced in full all week and has a great chance at a big game tonight. Im thinking the risk is worth the reward right now.
I'd be playing Allen over him if I still had Austin. who is to say he plays a full game or doesn't split time with Williams

Rotoworld:

Miles Austin (hamstring) was spotted in uniform and running routes with the first team during Wednesday's practice.

It's a significant step in Austin's rehab process. Instead of just resting through the Week 11 bye, he's getting some actual practice in before the Cowboys part ways. It's a sign that he'll at least be questionable for the Week 12 game against the Giants. Austin's exact role upon his return isn't clear, but Terrance Williams has been struggling over the last three weeks. Despite constant double teams on Dez Bryant, T-Will has totaled just five catches for 118 yards with two touchdowns during that span. Austin could easily force a rotation.

Related: Terrance Williams

Source: Todd Archer on Twitter

Cowboys could use someone to draw coverage away from Dez. He's had plenty of time to fully rehab. Had 13 catches, 206 yards, 1 TD in two games against the Giants last year if anybody's desperate for a week 12 starter.

The only reason Austin is relevant is to determine whether he will sap snap counts and targets from Terrance Williams. I would never even consider starting the guy this week. He goose egged the last time he "came back"

The only reason Austin is relevant is to determine whether he will sap snap counts and targets from Terrance Williams. I would never even consider starting the guy this week. He goose egged the last time he "came back"
The way that offense looked, it could use his help. That's what makes him relevant. An effective Austin helps dez and witten IMO

Austin was recently cut in my dynasty league and I am thin at WR, so I added him in the hopes that he could be a decent insurance policy come playoff time. He plays GB and WAS in weeks 15 and 16, those are pretty enticing matchups!

MIles has probably been dropped in most redraft leagues.

Is now a good time to pick him up cheaply? Terrence Williams has significantly slowed and the Cowboys offense is struggling. Miles should have some kind of role when he returns.

Is now a good time to pick him up cheaply? Terrence Williams has significantly slowed and the Cowboys offense is struggling. Miles should have some kind of role when he returns.
i picked him up for week 12 given bye week issues. He has more upside than the other dreck on the waiver wire like DHB.

How do yo arrive at this information? I was at the game and Williams was covered pretty well by the Saints secondary but more importantly , Romo was getting a defender in his face before Romo was ready to unleash the football. The Saints put up more points than the Cowboys had plays in that game. the problem was not the WR's the problem was the offensive lines inability to stave off Rob Ryans defense. I doubt Austin would have made any difference myself. If he returns he will have some value if you like him sharing reps with 3 other WR's because I don't see him taking the job back from Williams myself and I do not own Williams so I am unbiased.

How do yo arrive at this information? I was at the game and Williams was covered pretty well by the Saints secondary but more importantly , Romo was getting a defender in his face before Romo was ready to unleash the football. The Saints put up more points than the Cowboys had plays in that game. the problem was not the WR's the problem was the offensive lines inability to stave off Rob Ryans defense. I doubt Austin would have made any difference myself. If he returns he will have some value if you like him sharing reps with 3 other WR's because I don't see him taking the job back from Williams myself and I do not own Williams so I am unbiased.
I don't have any hard #s but it seem like every box score recently he has like 2 catches on 10 targets for 50 yards

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas suggests Miles Austin (hamstring) is expected to return for Week 12.
Austin returned to practice on the Wednesday before the Cowboys Week 11 bye. It suggests he's near 100 percent and ready to contribute. ESPN Dallas suggests Austin would move ahead of Terrance Williams on the depth chart, but a rotation in two-wide sets opposite Dez Bryant would make more sense. It's a threat to both player's fantasy upside.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Rotoworld:

Speaking Tuesday, Jerry Jones said Miles Austin (hamstring) is ready to play.

Jones said that the oft-injured Austin actually could have played in Week 10, but the Cowboys chose to play it safe. Now he should be close to 100 percent. It would not be a surprise at all if Austin immediately steps back in front of Terrance Williams, who has totaled a somewhat disappointing 5/118/2 line over the last three games despite constant double teams on Dez Bryant. When healthy, Austin is a far more polished route runner that can win out of the slot. He's worth adding as a potential WR3 for the stretch run as we wait and see what develops. The Cowboys have a slew of potential shootouts on the schedule over the next five weeks.

Source: Calvin Watkins on Twitter

Doesn't Dallas schedule get a little soft in the coming weeks? Austin in on our WW and I looking at adding him over the likes of Emmanuel Sanders.

Doesn't Dallas schedule get a little soft in the coming weeks? Austin in on our WW and I looking at adding him over the likes of Emmanuel Sanders.
The time to add cheaply was last week.

Any insight regarding the expected snap counts of Austin and Williams?

The sample size is small but odds are they'd rotate in two WR sets with Austin moving to the slot in three wide sets. I could be completely and utterly wrong however.

I also believe Austin has lost several steps, bum hammy or not but maybe that's just me.

The sample size is small but odds are they'd rotate in two WR sets with Austin moving to the slot in three wide sets. I could be completely and utterly wrong however.

I also believe Austin has lost several steps, bum hammy or not but maybe that's just me.
He's not even 30, so I'd say he hasn't lost any steps. He's just not been healthy.

Any time a player stops performing, he magically loses steps. Put him back into a situation where he gets targets or run blocking and - boom - sudden resurgence. See Andre Johnson and Corey Dillon.

FF Ninja said:
SameSongNDance said:
maf005 said:
towney said:

He's not even 30, so I'd say he hasn't lost any steps. He's just not been healthy.

Any time a player stops performing, he magically loses steps. Put him back into a situation where he gets targets or run blocking and - boom - sudden resurgence. See Andre Johnson and Corey Dillon.
IMO, he didn't look that great to me even before the injury, even though it was essentially just two games. Also, Austin only has two good/great seasons under his belt, I wouldn't go comparing him to AJ or Dilon who have strung together numerous great seasons and a/were legitimate fantasy commodities.

Maybe if Austin weren't plagued by a chronic bum hammy (since 2011), 2009 wouldn't look as flukish, who knows. I do think that he offers WR3/flex appeal as he will be seeing play in a legitimate passing offense but I don't think he offers a ton of upside.

Also..

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website believes Miles Austin (hamstring) is "your guy" as the No. 2 receiver when he returns this week.

When asked if the Cowboys plan to ease Austin back in, Broaddus replied that it "doesn't appear that way." Speaking on Tuesday, Jerry Jones said Austin is ready to go after missing basically every game since pulling his hamstring in Week 3. Terrance Williams has struggled of late in the No. 2 role, so it sounds like Austin is going to take over. Williams will still see plenty of action in three-wide sets, with Austin moving to the slot. Cole Beasley and Dwayne Harris will be the Nos. 4 and 5 receivers. Austin has WR3 upside.

You can't argue with the poor defenses the cowboys will be playing the next month. And if dezs back problems were to keep him off the field, Austin could see heavy targets. I'm considering handcuffing Bryant with him.

Rotoworld:

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website believes Miles Austin (hamstring) is "your guy" as the No. 2 receiver when he returns this week.
When asked if the Cowboys plan to ease Austin back in, Broaddus replied that it "doesn't appear that way." Speaking on Tuesday, Jerry Jones said Austin is ready to go after missing basically every game since pulling his hamstring in Week 3. Terrance Williams has struggled of late in the No. 2 role, so it sounds like Austin is going to take over. Williams will still see plenty of action in three-wide sets, with Austin moving to the slot. Cole Beasley and Dwayne Harris will be the Nos. 4 and 5 receivers. Austin has WR3 upside.

Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter

towney said:
Actually Dallas has the 3rd easiest playoff schedule for QB and the 5th easiest for WRs during fantasy playoffs. A bunch of shootouts and divisional games with playoff implications

@ CHI

vs GB

@ WAS

vs PHI

I would like to think Austin is going to have a decent ROS with an easy schedule, but I just can't buy into it 100% unless Dez goes down. He has been disappointing to say the least even before the injury in week 3. Week 1 he had signs of hope if you are in a PPR league, but not much anywhere else. Hopefully he becomes the pickup of Fantasy Playoffs. With all that said, I did decided to swap him out for Terrence Williams this week.

The comment about Austin losing several steps is hyperbole. But it's not that far from being the truth. Hamstrings are the core drivers that give WR's that explosion off the line. Everything that makes a WR good is that first half second, where he can beat the press coverage and slip across the seams of the defense. Austin's hammy has been worn down and abused to the point where he's pretty close to seeing his career end. Anyone starting him risks the zero point game he could get you on the mild tweak on a non-contact route. He used to be an "ascendent" talent, but his hammy isn't going to just get better. You know the history, and yet he'll get scooped up off the wire and someone will hope they catch lightning in a bottle. But he's done I tell ya. Done.

The comment about Austin losing several steps is hyperbole. But it's not that far from being the truth. Hamstrings are the core drivers that give WR's that explosion off the line. Everything that makes a WR good is that first half second, where he can beat the press coverage and slip across the seams of the defense. Austin's hammy has been worn down and abused to the point where he's pretty close to seeing his career end. Anyone starting him risks the zero point game he could get you on the mild tweak on a non-contact route. He used to be an "ascendent" talent, but his hammy isn't going to just get better. You know the history, and yet he'll get scooped up off the wire and someone will hope they catch lightning in a bottle. But he's done I tell ya. Done.
Lots of conjecture and hyperbole here.

Rotoworld:

Miles Austin (hamstring) is practicing Wednesday.

Austin is back at or near 100 percent after initially pulling his hamstring in Week 3. He's expected to resume No. 2 receiver duties opposite Dez Bryant, pushing rookie Terrance Williams back into the No. 3 role. All three will play plenty. Austin and Williams will cancel each other out a bit, leaving them as WR3 options. The Cowboys have a very favorable schedule down the stretch.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Who starting him this week?
:bye:

WR4 with Harvin on a bye.

Good history against the Giants (including 10 catches against them in Week 1) and the Cowboys are talking him up bigtime this week. Makes me think he really is healthy and ready for a big game if Giants focus all their attention on Dez again. .

Users who are viewing this thread