What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Austin (2 Viewers)

Starting him with Dez, Garçon. And Romo...all the eggs in one basket. If they try to run contantly I may drive to Fallas and kick Garret in the nutts

I am seriously thinking of roliin' the dice and starting him as my other options are K. Allen, C. Shorts, and Dobson.

loose circuits said:
Roddy v Miles is an interesting line-up decision this week
yep. Roddy is an interesting pick for this week. I currently have him benched for Holmes, Shorts, Colston and Sanders.

Rotoworld:

Miles Austin played on 48-of-65 snaps in Sunday's win over the Giants.

As expected, Austin was not limited as he made his return from another hamstring issue. He played seven more snaps than Terrance Williams. The concern is that neither wideout was a real part of the gameplan against the Giants as Austin had one catch on three targets while T-Will had one catch on two targets. There's potential for these two to cancel each other out. Austin won't be a quality WR3 on Thanksgiving even though he'll be facing the Raiders at home.

Related: Terrance Williams

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys are expected to release Miles Austin as a post-June 1 cut.

The move would save $5.5 million versus the salary cap, but results in more than $5 million in 2015 dead money. Still, the Cowboys will need the room this year, and Austin isn't remotely worth his $5.5 million base salary. Austin's contract has proven to be one of Jerry Jones' biggest blunders, and that's saying something. The Cowboys should have gotten rid of this mess last year.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN Dallas, "all the sounds coming from Valley Ranch" suggest the Cowboys "want to move on" from Miles Austin.

It doesn't look like Austin will even get a chance to stay via a pay cut. He's fully expected to be released as a post-June 1 cut, thus saving the Cowboys $5.5 million on a player who has been unable to sustain health or effectiveness since his 2009 breakout. Austin, who will turn 30 in June, is not going to find a hot market after averaging just 3.8 catches for 52.9 yards with 20 touchdowns over the last four seasons. Raw rookie Terrance Williams was far more productive in 2013.

Related: Terrance Williams

Source: ESPN Dallas

Rotoworld:

The Jets could show interest in Miles Austin if/when he's cut by the Cowboys.
Austin is expected to be designated as a post-June 1 cut, saving the Cowboys $5.5 million. He's been highly injury-prone and ineffective ever since his 2009 breakout, but he'd be cheap flier for a Jets team that's absolutely desperate for weapons. The top-three wideouts on their depth chart right now are Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Stephen Hill.

Related: Jets

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Jets could show interest in Miles Austin if/when he's cut by the Cowboys.
Austin is expected to be designated as a post-June 1 cut, saving the Cowboys $5.5 million. He's been highly injury-prone and ineffective ever since his 2009 breakout, but he'd be cheap flier for a Jets team that's absolutely desperate for weapons. The top-three wideouts on their depth chart right now are Jeremy Kerley, David Nelson and Stephen Hill.

Related: Jets

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter
If the Jets sign Austin then that's throwing in the towel on Stephen Hill, the only Jets WR worse than Austin last year.

Rotoworld:

Cowboys released WR Miles Austin.
He'll be designated as a post-June 1 cut, allowing the Cowboys to spread out his $7.855 million in dead money. The move frees up $5.5 million in cap space, but the Cowboys don't get a penny of it until June 2. A former undrafted free agent, Austin was a feel-good story after erupting for an 81/1,320/11 line in 2009, but hasn't been the same since signing a seven-year, $57.168 million extension in September 2010. He has been positively racked by hamstring injuries, and caught only 24 passes across 11 games last season. Three months shy of his 30th birthday, Austin isn't going to have a robust market.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Rotoworld:

Browns agreed to terms with WR Miles Austin, formerly of the Cowboys.
Castigated for failing to draft a wideout as they awaited word on the length of Josh Gordon's suspension, the Browns have finally added a body in the second-best receiver on the open market. That's not saying much, of course. Released on March 11, Austin had yet to make a single-known visit, and appeared to be at the end of the line last season. The Cowboys were a better team when he wasn't on the field. Positively racked by hamstring injuries, Austin turns 30 next month. In theory, he's an option on the outside, but he's best left in the slot at this stage of his career. That's a crowded position in Cleveland. Austin is extremely unlikely to make a fantasy impact in 2014.

Related: Cowboys

Rotoworld:

Browns agreed to terms with WR Miles Austin, formerly of the Cowboys.
Castigated for failing to draft a wideout as they awaited word on the length of Josh Gordon's suspension, the Browns have finally added a body in the second-best receiver on the open market. That's not saying much, of course. Released on March 11, Austin had yet to make a single-known visit, and appeared to be at the end of the line last season. The Cowboys were a better team when he wasn't on the field. Positively racked by hamstring injuries, Austin turns 30 next month. In theory, he's an option on the outside, but he's best left in the slot at this stage of his career. That's a crowded position in Cleveland. Austin is extremely unlikely to make a fantasy impact in 2014.

Related: Cowboys
Probably a desperation move by Cleveland, but the pickings are pretty slim at receiver right now.

good point. He was probably never completely healthy last year - still, I am sure teams got a look at his medical, and they still passed on him during free agency (before the draft). That is not a good sign.

good point. He was probably never completely healthy last year - still, I am sure teams got a look at his medical, and they still passed on him during free agency (before the draft). That is not a good sign.
I don't expect him to make it through camp healthy.But if he does...

He was so good those first seven quarters in 2011. He pulled that hammy in the dog pile and hasn't been the same since,

He was so good those first seven quarters in 2011. He pulled that hammy in the dog pile and hasn't been the same since,
And he was an absolute stud in the first four games of 2010. I just saw this "more winners and losers" article by Alessandro Miglio. I copied his quote below. How the eff do these jokers get jobs writing? Austin obviously displayed talent in subsequent seasons. If you just look at his year end stats, then yes, he appears to be a one year wonder, but to the keen observer, he clearly wasn't a one year wonder.

Austin is a one-year wonder, nursing one injury after another while riding on the coattails of a fantastic 2009.
That being said, it's hard to get excited about landing in Cleveland since I'm very undecided on ol' JF. I'm also wary that he'll ever find a way to keep those hamstrings healthy. Can't have burst without hamstrings. To be a worthwhile fantasy play, he needs JF to be good, he needs chemistry with him, and Miles needs to stay healthy. That's a lot of IFs as they say.

FF Ninja said:
And he was an absolute stud in the first four games of 2010. I just saw this "more winners and losers" article by Alessandro Miglio. I copied his quote below. How the eff do these jokers get jobs writing? Austin obviously displayed talent in subsequent seasons. If you just look at his year end stats, then yes, he appears to be a one year wonder, but to the keen observer, he clearly wasn't a one year wonder.

Austin is a one-year wonder, nursing one injury after another while riding on the coattails of a fantastic 2009.
That being said, it's hard to get excited about landing in Cleveland since I'm very undecided on ol' JF. I'm also wary that he'll ever find a way to keep those hamstrings healthy. Can't have burst without hamstrings. To be a worthwhile fantasy play, he needs JF to be good, he needs chemistry with him, and Miles needs to stay healthy. That's a lot of IFs as they say.
Hamstring injuries can heal if given enough time to rest and proper treatment. So, I don't think this means Austin has no burst anymore. I see Austin as a good player to own for the early part of the season.

But, hamstring injuries frequently recur. So, there is a good chance he WILL get hurt again sometime this season. And that will probably be the end of his productivity that season. I like him as a player who can help early in the season and I could see pairing him with Gordon--on the assumption that Gordon misses 6 to 8 games. You could play Austin until Gordon's return and expect good production until Gordon returns or until the hammy is hurt again.

As for Cleveland being a bad place, I don't think that is necessarily true. If Austin is the featured WR on the team, he will get enough targets to be a good WR3. Again, this is until he is reinjured. Still, as a late round pick he could provide some very valuable early season production.

Rotoworld:

Miles Austin - WR - Browns

Miles Austin's one-year contract with the Browns included a $300,000 signing bonus.

It's nothing to sneeze at, and it suggests the Browns will give Austin every possible opportunity to stick on the final roster. He'll have plenty of incentive as well thanks to a $1.7 million base salary. Austin's chronic hamstring issues have been well documented, but the Browns will be bordering on desperate at wideout if Josh Gordon is suspended for a full year. Austin is at least capable of beating out the likes of Nate Burleson, Earl Bennett, Charles Johnson and Travis Benjamin for significant snaps.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

May 22 - 8:48 AM

I don't know if i should :drive: becuz I picked him up for nothing and he could have great value or if I should have reservations if/when :tfp: . His hamstrings scare me though, but I wonder if we're now :deadhorse: Needless to say I'm feeling a lot of emotions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think now is the time to try to sell. His prospects may never look brighter with the recent string of events. I have been shopping him around, but am yet to find someone to take the bait.

Hes a lottery ticket. Even if he's healthy and full speed - and isaac bruce had back to back years with hammy injuries and reaggravations so its definitely possible - there is no guarantee he's the leading wr on a team with a rookie qb and a te who is likely their top target. But he's got the pedigree, he's really easy to drop if he's hurt, and he's on waivers or dirt cheap (I got him for the 56th pick in our rookie draft, which I had acquired by trading my backup kicker). I like cheap lottery tickets like that.

Coach Mike Pettine said the Browns "feel good about where Miles Austin is health wise."
Although Austin needed offseason reps as the de facto No. 1 receiver in Cleveland, he sat out all of OTAs and minicamp for maintenance purposes. So the Browns will have to see if he has any gas left in the tank when they get camp underway this weekend. It certainly looked Austin was done during his final days in Dallas. We'd rather target Jordan Cameron and Andrew Hawkins in fantasy drafts.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Jul 23 - 8:53 AM

Hes a lottery ticket. Even if he's healthy and full speed - and isaac bruce had back to back years with hammy injuries and reaggravations so its definitely possible - there is no guarantee he's the leading wr on a team with a rookie qb and a te who is likely their top target. But he's got the pedigree, he's really easy to drop if he's hurt, and he's on waivers or dirt cheap (I got him for the 56th pick in our rookie draft, which I had acquired by trading my backup kicker). I like cheap lottery tickets like that.
Hawkins seems like he will get receptions but the YPC seems way too low to make it worth it.

The only way the Browns can make any progress in the passing game is to hit the same WR over and over and over again. Likely that's Cameron I guess but I'd say they need to get a WR in the game.

I don't think a lottery ticket can come from this awful of an awfense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Miles Austin's one-year contract with the Browns included a $300,000 signing bonus.

It's nothing to sneeze at, and it suggests the Browns will give Austin every possible opportunity to stick on the final roster. He'll have plenty of incentive as well thanks to a $1.7 million base salary. Austin's chronic hamstring issues have been well documented, but the Browns will be bordering on desperate at wideout if Josh Gordon is suspended for a full year. Austin is at least capable of beating out the likes of Nate Burleson, Earl Bennett, Charles Johnson and Travis Benjamin for significant snaps.

So who do you think they value more....Austin who they gave a 1 year $2M contract or Andrew Hawkins who they gave a 4 year $13.6M contract?

Rotoworld:

So who do you think they value more....Austin who they gave a 1 year $2M contract or Andrew Hawkins who they gave a 4 year $13.6M contract?
Why does it matter? If Austin is the better player he'll get more targets. That's all that matters. If you drafted Michael Floyd in the 4th round and he's on pace for another 1000/5 season but you got Wallace in the 7th and he's on pace for 1400/10, who do you value more? Sunk costs don't matter.

After 3 years in a row, the hamstrings are more than just a concern. It appears he can't NOT injure them. But right now we can get him in redraft at flyer prices. I think he's worth it. He's not old and he's obviously very talented. The second he has a hamstring injury, drop him for the waiver wire darling of the week.

Miles Austin and Kenny Britt are pretty much in the exact same boat for me right now, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to roster.

Both have some definite talent.

Both will likely be WR1 for their teams this season.

Both have a history of injuries.

Both have a questionable QB situation.

Britt is a few years younger, but other than that I can't really think of anything else to distinguish the two from each other.

Miles Austin and Kenny Britt are pretty much in the exact same boat for me right now, and I'm having trouble deciding which one to roster.

Both have some definite talent.

Both will likely be WR1 for their teams this season.

Both have a history of injuries.

Both have a questionable QB situation.

Britt is a few years younger, but other than that I can't really think of anything else to distinguish the two from each other.
Austin has shown the ability to put up some good numbers over the span of a full season.

Rotoworld:

Why does it matter? If Austin is the better player he'll get more targets. That's all that matters. If you drafted Michael Floyd in the 4th round and he's on pace for another 1000/5 season but you got Wallace in the 7th and he's on pace for 1400/10, who do you value more? Sunk costs don't matter.

After 3 years in a row, the hamstrings are more than just a concern. It appears he can't NOT injure them. But right now we can get him in redraft at flyer prices. I think he's worth it. He's not old and he's obviously very talented. The second he has a hamstring injury, drop him for the waiver wire darling of the week.
It's not about my fantasy football teams sunk cost I could care less about that....I'd say sunk cost most DEFINATELY matter to the NFL otherwise Greg Hardy wouldn't still be with the Panthers right now, and Sam Bradford would have been released a while ago.....if sunk cost didn't matter why would players try to maximize their guaranteed money?

You are arguing on the basis of "rational coaching" about Austin getting more targets....when was the last time CLE was managed/coached in a rational way.

Additionally Austin has and ADP of 163.....Andrew Hawkins is 186 per FFCalculator with the higher probability of usage by CLE because of the $$ they spent. If you are in a PPR league Hawkins is the better deal. I see this as a poor man's version of Amendola/Edleman of 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread