What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Hot? (American Apparel Model) (1 Viewer)

Look at her devour that chicken!

• 10 (Christo)

Votes: 4 3.4%

Votes: 2 1.7%

Votes: 2 1.7%

Votes: 5 4.2%

Votes: 12 10.1%

Votes: 11 9.2%

Votes: 18 15.1%

Votes: 20 16.8%

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • 1 (Otis)

Votes: 29 24.4%

• Total voters

Sarnoff

Footballguy
Article

HellToupee said:
Nancy Upton
My Big, Fat Photo Spoof
Sep 9, 2011 12:14 PM EDT
I entered American Apparel’s “plus-size model” contest as a joke—and won. But I want nothing to do with a company that’s wanted nothing to do with large women until now.

Someday, I’ll look back on all of this and have a hard time remembering how my project really came into being. But I firmly believe no amount of distance will ever make me forget the anxiety I experienced the first time I saw the phrase “Booty-Ful.”

“American Apparel Introduces Size XL, Holds Search For ‘Booty-Ful’ Models.” That was the title of the first article I read about the American Apparel plus-sized campaign. Then, I read this:

Think you are the Next BIG Thing?

Calling curvy ladies everywhere! Our best-selling Disco Pant (and around 10 other sexy styles) are now available in size XL, for those of us who need a little extra wiggle room where it counts. We’re looking for fresh faces (and curvaceous bods) to fill these babies out. If you think you’ve got what it takes to be the next XLent model, send us photos of you and your junk to back it up.

Just send us two recent photographs of yourself, one that clearly shows your face and one of your body. We’ll select a winner to be flown out to our Los Angeles headquarters to star in your own bootylicious photoshoot. Runners up will win an enviable assortment of our favorite new styles in XL!

Show us what you’re workin’ with!
I believe my initial reaction, once I understood the contest, was “eeesh.” Which is why what would happen next – that a friend would photograph me bathing in salad dressing, chugging down chocolate sauce, and Hoovering friend chicken, and that those photos would ultimately be accepted by American Apparel, voted on by the public, and win the contest – shocked me nearly as much as the crudity of the whole campaign itself.

I had been super ooged out by American Apparel in the past—its sexy-nymphs-in-tube-socks ad campaigns, the skeevy stare of its hipster-hero CEO (the Jane article still haunts me). I just couldn’t get this new stunt out of my head. The company was co-opting the mantra of plus-size empowerment and glazing it with its unmistakable brand of female objectification.

So after I first heard about the “contest,” I couldn’t help but get it out of my mind. (I write “contest” in quotes because the legal mumbo jumbo in the waiver states that American Apparel reserves the right to choose any or none of the applicants for any or none of the prizes.)

The puns, the insulting, giggly tones, and the over-used euphemisms for fat that were scattered throughout the campaign’s solicitation began to crystalize an opinion in my mind. How offensive the campaign was. How it spoke to plus-sized women like they were starry-eyed 16 year olds from Kansas whose dream, obviously, was to hop a bus to L.A. to make it big in fashion. How apparently there were no words in existence to accurately describe the way American Apparel felt about a sexy, large woman, and so phrases like “booty-ful” and “XLent” would need to be invented for us—not only to fill this void in American vocabulary, but also make the company seem like a relatable, sassy friend to fat chicks.

A relatable, sassy friend who was looking to broaden its customer base after warning it might need to declare bankruptcy earlier this year. And a relatable, sassy friend who wanted as much free press as possible. That’s when I finally put my finger on why I couldn’t get this “contest” out of my head: American Apparel was going to try to use one fat girl as a symbol of apology and acceptance to a demographic it had long insisted on ignoring, while simultaneously having that girl (and a thousand other girls) shill their products.

Of course, not everyone was going to see it this way. I received a particularly vitriolic piece of hate-mail from one of my fellow contestants —a girl who, as far as I can tell, already has a pretty successful modeling career. She shamed me for hurting the world of plus-sized modeling and turning something she took very seriously into a big joke. This was unexpected. Sure, I thought I might be made fun of for what I was doing, but it was never my intention to hurt other plus-sized women. It wasn’t until I got that email that I realized American Apparel had actually convinced a lot of women that the company was being earnest, and that this “contest” could actually be a good opportunity for one’s career.

Last edited by a moderator:
GM > Shuke >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>This beast

How ####ed up is it when multiple people that have never met Shuke IRL immediately think of him when they see a fat broad knocking down a broasted chicken?

the bartender at the local tavern this weekend who is 40lbs overweight was 10 times hotter than this piggy

How ####ed up is it when multiple people that have never met Shuke IRL immediately think of him when they see a fat broad knocking down a broasted chicken?
I've debated fatness and skinniness of chicks in person with shuke at a nudie establishment.

Users who are viewing this thread