What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones on HBO: non-book thread (1 Viewer)

:confused: Was curious what people thought about tonight's episode, but I can't find the thread.Did I totally miss the gay love affair between Loras and Renly while reading the books?
It was hinted at I think. Later on though...like in AFFC I think.

I bumped it.
Stupid me searching for "thrones"
:unsure: I can't find the *official* thread either... is it spelled incorrectly?I just started watching the first season today. What a wonderful show. Can't wait til I'm all caught up.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=301672&st=1950Since the series was based on a book series, the orginal thread has the book series title in it. I wouldn't go near that until you finish season 1. I'm not sure how far you are, but a lot of crazy things happen that you won't want to have spoiled.

I bumped it.
Stupid me searching for "thrones"
:unsure: I can't find the *official* thread either... is it spelled incorrectly?I just started watching the first season today. What a wonderful show. Can't wait til I'm all caught up.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=301672&st=1950Since the series was based on a book series, the orginal thread has the book series title in it. I wouldn't go near that until you finish season 1. I'm not sure how far you are, but a lot of crazy things happen that you won't want to have spoiled.
Good lookin' out. Thanks.

Do you know if there are any websites that will legally stream this show or do I have to add HBO to my dish package?I haven't had HBO in several years. After watching season 1, I'd consider it if the price is right.
I actually got HBO just for this show last year. Well worth it.

Do you know if there are any websites that will legally stream this show or do I have to add HBO to my dish package?I haven't had HBO in several years. After watching season 1, I'd consider it if the price is right.
I don't believe there is a legal way. HBO is very protective of their programs. There isn't even a legal means to watch season 1 without HBO.

HBO is showing Game of Thrones starting @ 10:30 am EST April 1st. All 10 episodes, then @ 9pm season 2 will start.

Thanks for the heads up. I watched season one on demand and never set the dvr for season two.

How about we make THIS the TV thread? Who's in?!
I've never read the books and while I appreciate how well people used spoiler tags in the other thread, the constant comparing everything to the book is annoying me a bit. It isn't their fault, they have every right to discuss that. If this show is going to be on for awhile (all indications are it is going to be the largest HBO hit since Sopranos ) it would make sense to have a separate forum. I'll post here.

I am more than happy to discuss the show only here. I have not read the books so I can only be as up to date as S2 E2. That being said I think the Imp is the most skillful and cunning of the people in Kings Landing/Court. I feel there will have to be a monumental death this season that wasn't as obvious as Ned's and frankly is just don't see Lannister SR staying around. His character isn't nearly strong enough or they are going to have him do something monumental. Just a couple of thoughts I had.

I am more than happy to discuss the show only here. I have not read the books so I can only be as up to date as S2 E2. That being said I think the Imp is the most skillful and cunning of the people in Kings Landing/Court. I feel there will have to be a monumental death this season that wasn't as obvious as Ned's and frankly is just don't see Lannister SR staying around. His character isn't nearly strong enough or they are going to have him do something monumental. Just a couple of thoughts I had.
One thing the show has shown is that those that rely on smarts prosper and those that rely on power (in battle or in politics fail). Robert, Ned, Jaime, Drogo have all been killed or captured because they weren't smart and fell in love with their own power or perceived power. IMO, the smartest players at this point are Tyrion, Littlefinger, and the Eunuch. The manuvering between the 3 of them should be interesting. I'd put my money on the Eunuch though, he is still the one character who's motives still remain unclear. If knowledge is power as Littlefinger put it, then none is more powerful than the Eunuch. Also, I didn't think Lannister SR was weak- I thought he was one of the most intimidating characters on the show- the way he shut Jaime and Tyrion down was revealing as to the kind of dominant father figure he was. I pray for a scene where Lannister SR meets King Joffrey. I'd love to see that little brat mouth off to Tywin Lannister.

One thing the show has shown is that those that rely on smarts prosper and those that rely on power (in battle or in politics fail). Robert, Ned, Jaime, Drogo have all been killed or captured because they weren't smart and fell in love with their own power or perceived power. IMO, the smartest players at this point are Tyrion, Littlefinger, and the Eunuch. The manuvering between the 3 of them should be interesting. I'd put my money on the Eunuch though, he is still the one character who's motives still remain unclear. If knowledge is power as Littlefinger put it, then none is more powerful than the Eunuch. Also, I didn't think Lannister SR was weak- I thought he was one of the most intimidating characters on the show- the way he shut Jaime and Tyrion down was revealing as to the kind of dominant father figure he was. I pray for a scene where Lannister SR meets King Joffrey. I'd love to see that little brat mouth off to Tywin Lannister.
I won't post in here much because I've read the books. But what from season 1 made you think that Ned fell in love with his power?

I won't post in here much because I've read the books. But what from season 1 made you think that Ned fell in love with his power?
Power as in his position as Hand of the King. He felt that it and Robert's dying decree were stronger than they were. Maybe love wasn't the right word for him, but he mistook titles and decrees for power. He had so many options and a younger warrior/rebel Ned might have taken one of those other options. However, the older Ned loves honors and titles. Instead of swords and shields, he held on to paper and words. Honorable and Ned loved honor, but terribly stupid.

'Evilgrin 72 said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
How about we make THIS the TV thread? Who's in?!
Me. I had to stop looking at the other one because I was far too nervous about spoilers.
I'm in for a TV show only thread. I'd prefer not to have to read through 30 posts about how some guy's sideburns aren't as bushy as they were described in the book.soooooo, does the blue eyed snow monster use Craster's sons to build an army, or what?

'Ilov80s said:
'shuke said:
Power as in his position as Hand of the King. He felt that it and Robert's dying decree were stronger than they were. Maybe love wasn't the right word for him, but he mistook titles and decrees for power. He had so many options and a younger warrior/rebel Ned might have taken one of those other options. However, the older Ned loves honors and titles. Instead of swords and shields, he held on to paper and words. Honorable and Ned loved honor, but terribly stupid.
Devotion to honor, and overweighing its motivation in others was Ned's downfall, not love or misunderstanding of power. He wasn't leaning on the decree or his position as Hand to back him up, he thought LIttlefinger would honor his agreement to back Stark and bring the city guard in on his side. Letting honor keep him from ruthlessness and trusting the wrong people (essentially trusting their honor) did him in. He knew he was in over his head from the start, but his honor (of friendship, fealty to the king) wouldn't let him refuse the position and wouldn't let him do what was necessary to be successful in the role.

:confused: Was curious what people thought about tonight's episode, but I can't find the thread.Did I totally miss the gay love affair between Loras and Renly while reading the books?
It was hinted at I think. Later on though...like in AFFC I think.
OK, I've only read the first three. Where the hell is the other thread?
Once you know (from someone watching the show) it is obvious, but I read through it and did not pick up on it.but come onthe knight of flowers? the rainbow guard? There's lots of other hints too

Went into the other thread and due to all the nerdrage over something being different from the books I just can't see going back in there.

Really liked tonights episode, though Jon Snow needs to grow a pair.

Went into the other thread and due to all the nerdrage over something being different from the books I just can't see going back in there. Really liked tonights episode, though Jon Snow needs to grow a pair.
But he took an oath! He said the words!

'EYLive said:
'dparker713 said:
Went into the other thread and due to all the nerdrage over something being different from the books I just can't see going back in there. Really liked tonights episode, though Jon Snow needs to grow a pair.
When he swung the sword onto the rock instead of through the girl's neck, my first thought was he should be more careful with such a nice blade.

Theon reminds me of Charlie from LOST for some reason...he's a guy I want to like one week and then one I want to die the next!

Theon reminds me of Charlie from LOST for some reason...he's a guy I want to like one week and then one I want to die the next!
Not the best actor on the show, that's for sure.
Honestly, there are a lot of weak ones...there is so much "wood" in the cast, it is like a Hayden Christiansen festival.
Its an enormous cast, so there are some duds, but I disagree. I think on the whole its a pretty great cast.

'EYLive said:
'dparker713 said:
Went into the other thread and due to all the nerdrage over something being different from the books I just can't see going back in there.

Really liked tonights episode, though Jon Snow needs to grow a pair.
When he swung the sword onto the rock instead of through the girl's neck, my first thought was he should be more careful with such a nice blade.
Relax bro. It's Valyrian steel.

Not the best actor on the show, that's for sure.
Honestly, there are a lot of weak ones...there is so much "wood" in the cast, it is like a Hayden Christiansen festival.
Its an enormous cast, so there are some duds, but I disagree. I think on the whole its a pretty great cast.
:goodposting:The Imp, Ser Jorah, Danereyus, Geoffrey (yes, I said it), Arya and the Queen are solid. Jon Snow, Theon, Ned's kid, and Sansa are in the wooden category for sure. The rest fall somewhere in the middle or I'm just losing them in the shuffle.

I'm so surprised this thread is only one page long and we've already seen six episodes. This is by far the best show out right now!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread