What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones on HBO: non-book thread (1 Viewer)

NEVER look in that thread.I thought the finale was great and sets up tons of cool storylines for next season.
I have 2 questions, do we know who burned Winterfell?What was the deal with Jon and the other Nights Watch? Was that so he could get into the Wildlings good graces to scout? Why did they free him etc

NEVER look in that thread.I thought the finale was great and sets up tons of cool storylines for next season.
I have 2 questions, do we know who burned Winterfell?What was the deal with Jon and the other Nights Watch? Was that so he could get into the Wildlings good graces to scout? Why did they free him etc
Yes on 2, Jon killing the Halfhand was all part of the Halfhand's plan. The book makes this a little more explicit.

Those were the EXACT two questions I had after watching and posted them in the other thread. For the 1st one it seems thats an open hole that perhaps we'll learn more about next season. I dont think we're supposed to know. The 2nd one, someone answered. Basically Quron Halfhand wanted Jon to infiltrate the Wildings and he sacraficed himself to accomplish that goal.

1) Not sure.2) Yes, Halfhand (I think that was his name) basically sacrificed his life in the name of the Black, hoping to entrench Jon Snow as a mole in the Wildling army. Ever since Snow volunteered to go with that scout group, I've thought he would be the one who would eventually bring the Wildlings and the Crows together to repel the white walkers. That's not a spoiler, I have no idea, just a guess.

I don't know why I bother answering, someone IRL invariably interrupts me mid-post and by the time I submit, others have explained it better. :lol:

bumping this for us non readers.... I'm getting lost in the other thread :bag:
Nice bump. I checked in with the other thread but ran into some pretty brutal spoilers. :(
I really hope (and think) those were fake
Mine was way fake. THought it was so obviously fake that no one would think it could happen. I don't even remember what it was. Sorry if it offended.
EYlive, or whatever his name is, was the most offensive spoiler (if it wasn't fake). Yours was obvious schtick though, so no worries there...

A cool podcast for non-book readers breaking down each scene. At the very end they have a spolier section...its usually the last 20 minutes but they let you know when it's coming. I found it helpful for a lot of stuff I missed in the show.

bumping this for us non readers.... I'm getting lost in the other thread :bag:
Nice bump. I checked in with the other thread but ran into some pretty brutal spoilers. :(
I really hope (and think) those were fake
Mine was way fake. THought it was so obviously fake that no one would think it could happen. I don't even remember what it was. Sorry if it offended.
EYlive, or whatever his name is, was the most offensive spoiler (if it wasn't fake). Yours was obvious schtick though, so no worries there...
My apologies, mine were fake also. People probably don't notice, but I am careful to use spoiler tags in that thread. Anything not in tags is just me messing aroung. I didn't mean to ruin things.

I like this thread too.

Questions from finale:

What is going on with Bran? Jon Snow? How are the Others/White Walkers/Wights/whatever the hell they are called going to play out?

My theory: The white walkers are going to overshadow the whole "Kings vying for the throne" thing for at least a little while, otherwise they will just destroy everyone. How long does it take for them to overrun everything before the kings quit fighting each other and band together?

Also - Anyone else think that the one that rode the meanest looking horse and seemed to lead all the other white walkers Benjen Stark? What happened to him?

I like this thread too.Questions from finale:What is going on with Bran? Jon Snow? How are the Others/White Walkers/Wights/whatever the hell they are called going to play out?My theory: The white walkers are going to overshadow the whole "Kings vying for the throne" thing for at least a little while, otherwise they will just destroy everyone. How long does it take for them to overrun everything before the kings quit fighting each other and band together?Also - Anyone else think that the one that rode the meanest looking horse and seemed to lead all the other white walkers Benjen Stark? What happened to him?
One thing to remember, there is a big freaking wall in the way of the Walkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap this is good. I watched for the 1st episode on Friday and ended up watching the entire season over the weekend a few of season 2.

What was up the rangers finding obsidion? Is that soemthing to deal with the walkers or dragons? What happened to it?

Holy crap this is good. I watched for the 1st episode on Friday and ended up watching the entire season over the weekend a few of season 2.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of fantasy, but this show is must see TV. The rest of s2 won't disappoint. Just wait till Blackwater.

1) Not sure.2) Yes, Halfhand (I think that was his name) basically sacrificed his life in the name of the Black, hoping to entrench Jon Snow as a mole in the Wildling army. Ever since Snow volunteered to go with that scout group, I've thought he would be the one who would eventually bring the Wildlings and the Crows together to repel the white walkers. That's not a spoiler, I have no idea, just a guess.
Are we to assume that #2 goes along with Tyrion stating over and over that the Lannisters didn't have anything to do with the attempt on Bran's life? Or does he just say that he himself didn't have anything to do with it?Also, WTF is the difference between the monster in the very first scene of the show vs. what coming at the end of the show? I guess Whitewalkers vs. The Others vs. Wildlings??Anyway, I love the show - especially the scenes with Cersei and Tyrion going at each other. I did feel that the romances with Robb and Jon (feels like the start of something with the wildling) were a little forced, and I thought the others at the end looked a little hokey, but those are mild gripes in an amazing series.

I like this thread too.

Questions from finale:

What is going on with Bran? Jon Snow? How are the Others/White Walkers/Wights/whatever the hell they are called going to play out?

My theory: The white walkers are going to overshadow the whole "Kings vying for the throne" thing for at least a little while, otherwise they will just destroy everyone. How long does it take for them to overrun everything before the kings quit fighting each other and band together?

Also - Anyone else think that the one that rode the meanest looking horse and seemed to lead all the other white walkers Benjen Stark? What happened to him?
Well, the series is the Song of Fire and Ice so I assumed maybe the monsters north of the wall might be kept at bay long enough for Dany to come ashore with her dragons and save the day? I hope that's not the course it is going to take because all the families battling for the throne are more interesting to me than Dany and Jon Snow's exploits.

:blackdot:

The wife and I just watched both seasons over the past month. Add me to the crowd that hasn't read the books and probably won't. We had a hard time following a lot of the characters and their allegiances and so forth. The Game of Thrones wiki was a helpful resource. They stick strictly to the show and do not allow book spoilers until the episode has aired.

Also, WTF is the difference between the monster in the very first scene of the show vs. what coming at the end of the show? I guess Whitewalkers vs. The Others vs. Wildlings??
I thought they just changed the CGI they used for the whitewalkers. I think they're both supposed to be the same monster type, but I could be wrong.
I hope that's not the course it is going to take because all the families battling for the throne are more interesting to me than Dany and Jon Snow's exploits.
Ditto on that. The power struggle for the throne is by far the most interesting part of the show for me.

Also, WTF is the difference between the monster in the very first scene of the show vs. what coming at the end of the show? I guess Whitewalkers vs. The Others vs. Wildlings??
I thought they just changed the CGI they used for the whitewalkers. I think they're both supposed to be the same monster type, but I could be wrong.
I hope that's not the course it is going to take because all the families battling for the throne are more interesting to me than Dany and Jon Snow's exploits.
Ditto on that. The power struggle for the throne is by far the most interesting part of the show for me.
I think "The Others" and "Whitewalkers" are the same thing. Wildlings are the "Free Folk" or w/e - they normal people who live beyond the wall.

I think "The Others" and "Whitewalkers" are the same thing. Wildlings are the "Free Folk" or w/e - they normal people who live beyond the wall.
You are correct.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Instinctive said:
You are correct.
Damn. I wonder why they look so much cheesier/less creepy in the last episode then.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Instinctive said:
You are correct.
Damn. I wonder why they look so much cheesier/less creepy in the last episode then.
The White Walkers are the same as The Others. They however, have the ability to reanimate corpses.....those are called Wights.

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Instinctive said:
You are correct.
The White Walkers are the same as The Others. They however, have the ability to reanimate corpses.....those are called Wights.
But didn't Sam say the 3rd horn was for The Others, which would mean that is was was walking past him? Then what Jon killed at the wall were Wights?

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
'Instinctive said:
You are correct.
But didn't Sam say the 3rd horn was for The Others, which would mean that is was was walking past him? Then what Jon killed at the wall were Wights?
Yes to both. But there were both that were going past Sam. The Wights were on foot and the WW/Others were on horseback. If they looked less cheesy, then that's just a difference in the art direction of the critters. Or it could be that they vary in appearance like any other race of beings.

I know the book series isn't complete and I've now watched both seasons so a few questions...

Is the completion of the books likely to happen soon/ever?

Season 1 and 2 in book form encompass about how much of the series so far? What I mean is, if there are 5 books, are season 1 and 2 book 1 and 2?

I know the book series isn't complete and I've now watched both seasons so a few questions...Is the completion of the books likely to happen soon/ever?Season 1 and 2 in book form encompass about how much of the series so far? What I mean is, if there are 5 books, are season 1 and 2 book 1 and 2?
The last two books took five years each. So probably not soon, if ever.Season 1 was book 1, and season 2 was book 2. Supposedly, book 3 will be split across seasons 3 and 4.

I know the book series isn't complete and I've now watched both seasons so a few questions...Is the completion of the books likely to happen soon/ever?Season 1 and 2 in book form encompass about how much of the series so far? What I mean is, if there are 5 books, are season 1 and 2 book 1 and 2?
It took a while for George to release books 4 & 5. About 5 years inbetween both. There are hopes that the popularity of the series will push him to release the next two books in a much more timely manner. Seasons 1 and 2 are books 1 and 2. Book 3 is much longer than the first 2 so I think that they plan to break it up into to 2 TV seasons.

Someone or multiples people have been given outlines and story details to finish the books should he die. He wants the series finished and has taken steps for it to happen.

The last two books took five years each. So probably not soon, if ever.Season 1 was book 1, and season 2 was book 2. Supposedly, book 3 will be split across seasons 3 and 4.
A bit of the beginning of book 3 seems to be included in Season 2 as well - Robb's love interest, more Jamie than was in book 2, etc.. I have also read/heard that they might be thinking about splitting book 3 into 2 Seasons. Damn, this is going to take forever - I have the gut feeling that they will start to diverge from the books a little more and more so they can wrap up the show after a bit. Unfortunately none of the these high budget HBO shows last much more than 4 or 5 seasons.

'KarmaPolice said:
A bit of the beginning of book 3 seems to be included in Season 2 as well - Robb's love interest, more Jamie than was in book 2, etc.. I have also read/heard that they might be thinking about splitting book 3 into 2 Seasons. Damn, this is going to take forever - I have the gut feeling that they will start to diverge from the books a little more and more so they can wrap up the show after a bit. Unfortunately none of the these high budget HBO shows last much more than 4 or 5 seasons.
Sopranos was around for 7 (I count Season 6 as two seasons) and Entourage was around for what seemed like forever. :shrug:

'KarmaPolice said:
Sopranos was around for 7 (I count Season 6 as two seasons) and Entourage was around for what seemed like forever. :shrug:
Both of these shows never lost momentum from the moment they started airing. HBO will not hesitate to pull a show if it starts losing viewers, Deadwood is a great example of this and was very unfortunate when this was canceled (great effin show). In season 2 of GOT, we really started to see many new characters introduced an many new plots & sub-plots starting to develop. Hopefully this doesn't confuse casual viewers and deters them from tuning in. **minor spoiler alert** this universe is only going to get bigger in season 3. More locations, more characters, more plot lines. It can and will become very confusing.

'KarmaPolice said:
Book Three will be two seasons. I don't know if you've read the books....but there's enough there for that. Book 4 and 5 separate the characters/locations. HBO and Martin more or less said they'd follow the story lines of those books...but not the format of splitting the characters.

Users who are viewing this thread