What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Overtime Rules? (1 Viewer)

ChadBroChill17

Footballguy
How unfair are the NFL over time rules. I think they need to be changed asap. many times I find that the team who wins the over time coin toss wins the game seeing as how you only need a field goal to end it. I think a better system, at least for now, would be to adopt the college football overtime rules. Anyone agree with me?

How unfair are the NFL over time rules. I think they need to be changed asap. many times I find that the team who wins the over time coin toss wins the game seeing as how you only need a field goal to end it. I think a better system, at least for now, would be to adopt the college football overtime rules. Anyone agree with me?
The game is fair for 60 minutes. You can't win in 60 minutes, that's your fault. The college football rules are a joke.

I wonder how many times the team winning the toss in college wins the game? You don't think it's a pretty huge advantage to take the ball 2nd in college knowing what you need to win?

add one 10 minute extra period, no sudden death, an extra quarter, only 10 minutes long...
I'm thinking why don't we just not allow FGs in overtime? Make the teams at least have to drive it all the way down and score a TD.
but why take away or change the game? keep playing football, add 10 minutes to the clock and play ball...personally I like this rule...it becomes another 4th quarter, strategy and time management become important...I like it...

Just have the kicking team kick off from their 45 yard line.

This would allow the kicking team to more or less guarantee a touchback if they wanted it. It would allow them a shot at a squib kick that could stand a good chance of pinning the opponent inside the 20, or it could tempt them into trying an onside kick. I think this evens up te choice quite a bit when one wins the coin toss and it becomes a very interesting decision for monday morning Q.B.'s.

How about keep sudden death but get rid of the coin flip and kick off. Instead, whoever has the ball at the end of regulation still has it at the same spot on the field and both teams keep playing as if the quarter never ended. Then whoever scores next wins. Both teams would know the rules work that way and would be able to plan accordingly in regulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
College OT stinks - way too gimicky

Make NFL OT first to six - problem solved
:lmao: Jeff Pasquino has called for this in the past, too, and I agree with him and Ted Lange as your Bartender - change the rule to first to six and then teams will have to drive the length of the field to win the game, or put together two field goal tries and a defensive stop in between. Much fairer requiring six points to win in OT, IMO. Then the coin flip (while still important) isn't so overwhelmingly crucial. My :thumbdown: .

College OT stinks - way too gimicky

Make NFL OT first to six - problem solved
:thumbup: Jeff Pasquino has called for this in the past, too, and I agree with him and Ted Lange as your Bartender - change the rule to first to six and then teams will have to drive the length of the field to win the game, or put together two field goal tries and a defensive stop in between. Much fairer requiring six points to win in OT, IMO. Then the coin flip (while still important) isn't so overwhelmingly crucial. My :2cents: .
Not only that but favorites up to 5 & a half points will still be able to cover the spread. :thumbup:

add one 10 minute extra period, no sudden death, an extra quarter, only 10 minutes long...
This. Game is then registered as a tie. In the playoffs, quarters are added. The winner is the first team to score. This rule change would encourage teams to continue to execute their normal game plan at the end of teh game rather than paly conservatively to run out the clock.

The players don't want the extra time on the clock. They want to get the heck out of there win or lose. The NFL and the players want to keep the rules the same. SD overtime is not going to change anytime soon.

The players don't want the extra time on the clock. They want to get the heck out of there win or lose. The NFL and the players want to keep the rules the same. SD overtime is not going to change anytime soon.
The players will have to give up something in this new deal, this might be what the can let happen!

I wonder how many times the team winning the toss in college wins the game? You don't think it's a pretty huge advantage to take the ball 2nd in college knowing what you need to win?
No, I wouldn't classify that as huge. I think it may be an advantage, but a fair one since you won the toss. Winning the toss in the NFL overtime isn't just an advantage, that is where you can insert the word HUGE and it appropriately fits.

The game is fair for 60 minutes. You can't win in 60 minutes, that's your fault. The college football rules are a joke.
So the NFL should be fair for 60 minutes and then since you have two even teams play a game, those teams then deserve an unfair ending to decide their game? Really, you really think that way?

OK, it's tied after just 10 minutes of play and we're in the playoffs, then what......Personally, I like both teams getting the ball at say the 50 yard line. I don't like teams getting the ball in field goal range already. Each team gets the ball at the 50 and see what you can do. After 3 TD's by both sides, you're forced to go for the 2 point conversion.I don't like to see one team get the ball on offense and the other possibly not due to a coin flip.

That's what I was thinking with my idea I posted earlier. It wouldn't make the OT any longer but would get rid of the luck factor involved in the coin flip. If anything, it would make the OTs shorter...

They dont want overtimes like college, where the games can potentially last 5 hours.

I like the idea of moving the kickoff to the 45.

I also like the idea of "first to 6".

Both ideas would be great.

There has been alot of talk about the rule but I don't see any changes in the near future.
:thumbup: This isn't something the NFL is going to be changing annnnny time soon, but I agree that it ought to get changed.

I also agree with the idea of "whoever gets to 6 first wins," because it forces the team who wins the toss to score a TD on their opening drive to end the game, and if they don't it allows the other team a chance. I think OT in other sports (i.e. NBA & NHL) are thrilling, but when an NFL game goes to OT I just watch who wins the toss and turn off the channel. :yawn:

The players will have to give up something in this new deal, this might be what the can let happen!
The league and networks don't want games going 45 minutes longer either. Before the kickoffs were moved back, the team that won the coin-flip only won the game 51-52% of the time. So it wasn't exactly fair, but it was close enough. I don't understand why they don't just move the kickoffs up in OT.

So the NFL should be fair for 60 minutes and then since you have two even teams play a game, those teams then deserve an unfair ending to decide their game? Really, you really think that way?
Yes, I think that way. I think OT is stupid. If the game is tied after regulation, the game should be a tie. If there must be a winner(ie playoffs) sudden death is fine. I've never once heard a player say OT is unfair.

The league and networks don't want games going 45 minutes longer either. Before the kickoffs were moved back, the team that won the coin-flip only won the game 51-52% of the time. So it wasn't exactly fair, but it was close enough. I don't understand why they don't just move the kickoffs up in OT.
I like sudden death the way it is but think, if anything, this change is very subtle and works well. If a team starts on the 20 - they need to drive almost 50 yards to get in FG range.If that doesn't work... go straight to penalty kicks. :thumbup:

No, I wouldn't classify that as huge. I think it may be an advantage, but a fair one since you won the toss. Winning the toss in the NFL overtime isn't just an advantage, that is where you can insert the word HUGE and it appropriately fits.
I believe the coin toss winner for OT in the NFL is at 60%. I'll bet college is somewhere close to that.

Yes, I think that way. I think OT is stupid. If the game is tied after regulation, the game should be a tie. If there must be a winner(ie playoffs) sudden death is fine. I've never once heard a player say OT is unfair.
yea cause ties are awesome... :goodposting:

In football, on pretty much every snap of the ball either team could potentially score a TD. There are plenty of ways for the defense to get a turnover. Keep the rules the same and stop crying about it.

I perosnally don't have a big problem with regular season games ending in a tie, but if they still insist on breaking ties I would do it this way.

I think they should do away with the "sudden death" element of OT and play a fully timed quarter/period. I also think they should continue the game just like it's the end of a regular quarter. The teams would switch sides and pick up exactly at the down and distance where regulation ended similar to the switch between the 3rd and 4th quarters.

That way, no one could complain about a coin toss, no one could complain that one team didn't even have a chance to get the ball and score, and teams most assuredly would not be able to just advance the ball on one possession for a FG to win.

In the post-season, after one full period of extra play, switch sides of the field and continue like above but this time make it sudden death. Again no coin tosses, kickoffs, etc.

David Yudkin said:
I perosnally don't have a big problem with regular season games ending in a tie, but if they still insist on breaking ties I would do it this way.I think they should do away with the "sudden death" element of OT and play a fully timed quarter/period. I also think they should continue the game just like it's the end of a regular quarter. The teams would switch sides and pick up exactly at the down and distance where regulation ended similar to the switch between the 3rd and 4th quarters.That way, no one could complain about a coin toss, no one could complain that one team didn't even have a chance to get the ball and score, and teams most assuredly would not be able to just advance the ball on one possession for a FG to win.In the post-season, after one full period of extra play, switch sides of the field and continue like above but this time make it sudden death. Again no coin tosses, kickoffs, etc.
Yeah, that's like my suggestion except I would leave the sudden death in there. It seems that the biggest complaint with the current OT is the coin flip, so they could just get rid of that.

David Yudkin said:
I perosnally don't have a big problem with regular season games ending in a tie, but if they still insist on breaking ties I would do it this way.I think they should do away with the "sudden death" element of OT and play a fully timed quarter/period. I also think they should continue the game just like it's the end of a regular quarter. The teams would switch sides and pick up exactly at the down and distance where regulation ended similar to the switch between the 3rd and 4th quarters.That way, no one could complain about a coin toss, no one could complain that one team didn't even have a chance to get the ball and score, and teams most assuredly would not be able to just advance the ball on one possession for a FG to win.In the post-season, after one full period of extra play, switch sides of the field and continue like above but this time make it sudden death. Again no coin tosses, kickoffs, etc.
Sorry David, I think you are generally great but are all wet on this one. The problem I see with this is that it will make the end of regulation FAR less interesting. After all, how exciting do you find the final two minutes of the third quarter?

David Yudkin said:
Sorry David, I think you are generally great but are all wet on this one. The problem I see with this is that it will make the end of regulation FAR less interesting. After all, how exciting do you find the final two minutes of the third quarter?
That would be the biggest drawback, but I think it would be worth it to fix the OT. If the teams were tied for a while in the 4th quarter already, then it would be less interesting. But if one team is behind and needs to score to send it into OT, then it'd still be exciting.

David Yudkin said:
Teams already play timid under the safety blanket of going to overtime. Teams already won't do anything risky and are happy to settle for a long FG attempt and go to OT if they miss. Teams with possession late and pinned at their own goal line are happy to run out the clock and be "saved" by going to OT.No matter how you slice it, there is no "good" way to do it without making things unfair for one team -OR- changing how the game is played. For 4 quarters, teams don't have to start at a fixed spot (like college OT would have it), nor are they playing to score a certain amount of points (like the first to score 6 points in OT proposal).As for the current OT system, I realize many times the team that wins the toss can move the ball and get a FG to win . . . but the other team still can do well on special teams or on defense. THey are allowed to actually STOP the other team from moving into FG range.

I like the 10 minute idea. Is it such a disaster when games end in a tie? More ties would actually help keep winning percentages staggered so that less tie breakers would have to be used to determine playoff seeding.

Maybe they shouldn't use overtime to break ties and instead use some stats as tie breakers. Whichever team has more total yards (offense, special teams, and any yardage gained by the defense after an interception or fumble recovery) could get the win, for example.

The teams should have a shootout. 3 OL, 2 receiving options, 1 RB, 1 QB and the defense has any 7 players to go against the offense. Go from the 10 yard line, one play to get into the endzone. Each "TD" is worth 2 points, each drop kick is worth 2 points, and each FG is worth 1 point (27 yarder). Each team gets five chances to score and the point totals are totaled after them, or it could end early depending on the scores.

Win - Win here.

Regular season - Tie

Playoffs -

1. Coin flip wins game: regulation with a little more urgency

or

2. OT: One snap, no whistle, ball is always live, TD or team that has player closest to the ball when if goes out of bounds loses.

Users who are viewing this thread