What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Fox Must Go! (1 Viewer)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
If it wasn't for the DUI checkpoint at the end of my block, I'd go assist him out of town right now. Just watched the post game conference and it made me puke in my mouth. The guy doesn't care anymore. Heck, we didn't even get an "it is what it is" out of him. Why couldn't someone ask him why you pull possibly the leagues best RB out of the game in every critical situation??? You know, the guy whose ypc is about the same as your starting QB's quarterback rating.

If it wasn't for the DUI checkpoint at the end of my block, I'd go assist him out of town right now. Just watched the post game conference and it made me puke in my mouth. The guy doesn't care anymore. Heck, we didn't even get an "it is what it is" out of him. Why couldn't someone ask him why you pull possibly the leagues best RB out of the game in every critical situation??? You know, the guy whose ypc is about the same as your starting QB's quarterback rating.
I don't understand why they don't do what the Steelers did a few years ago.Run the ball, let the QB throw 15-17 times a game mostly on play action. Big Ben had multiple stretches were he never had more then 20 attempts. They have 2 VERY good RBs, I don't understand why they keep throwing the ball. Delhomme just can't get it done anymore.

I've followed DWill and Smith enough the last few years to become a bit of a fan. I just don't get the play calling at all.

Maybe Fox has hitched his wagon to Jake by supporting the extension and sticking with him as his starter. Maybe he thinks his refusal to make a move at QB has him tied to Jake and his only hope of keeping his job is to prove that Jake can get it done. So he gives Jake every chance to be the hero.

Naw. That's stupid. I got nothing. I have no idea what those idiots are doing.

He's just arrogant and stubborn in that Mike Martz sort of way perhaps.

I didn't watch a lot of last night's game; actually just parts of the 1st and 2nd quarters but I saw really poor tackling on the part of the defense along with a lack of intensity, particularly the front four.

3-4 minutes left.

Trailing by 10.

Lets pull Dwill and JStew and go with Sutton !!!

SUTTON !!!?????!?!

Who the #### is SUTTON anyway ???

:hifive:

Fox and Jake were not the problem last night. The problem was playcalling and injuries. John Fox does not call the plays.

I'm sure my opinion is influenced by the fact that I own DeAngelo in dynasty, but why the hell don't they get him to touch the ball 25-30 times a game. 13 carries for 122 yards?? Only 13 carries?? The guy is a bonafide stud, and it seems like they're purposely limiting him ...

I didn't watch a lot of last night's game; actually just parts of the 1st and 2nd quarters but I saw really poor tackling on the part of the defense along with a lack of intensity, particularly the front four.
The defense has a lot of injuries on it, and the tackling was very poor last night. For those blaming Delhomme, he wasn't the problem last night, and considering Gross is gone for the year, Delhomme was lucky to get any passes off with the poor passing protection. As for the play calling it was horrible, and Fox needs to take away the duties from Davidson.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was unbelievable. DeAngelo is killing the Dolphins, but they keep passing & handing off to Stewart. Why not play them at the same time like Ronnie & Ricky & limit the passes for Jake? Seriously, DWill wasn't hardly ever in the game! Yes I am a DWill owner, but he is awesome and the Panthers are STUPID.

Wanna win in Carolina....Run D-Lo, he fumbles, run him again...he gets tackled for a loss, run him again....he gets hurt, well run him again!

U will not win any games in Carolina unless u run D-Lo! He is a beast and should be treated as such, he shouldnt be splitting carries anyways...END OF STORY

30 plays a game you should run D-Lo, heck if you hand it to him twice in a row u have a first down, not to mention Miami kept 7 in the box most the night, but nope....lets have this brilliant idea to put the ball in the guys hands who has already thrown 10+ picks this year, and when we do that lets put in a scrub named Sutton over our all world stud amungst studs RB.

I wanna punch Fox for not running to the OC and smacking him across to face to say "1st and Goal from the 8 and not one play to D-Lo!"

UGGGGHHH!!!!

Sounds like a Notre Dame football board here now....fire the coach! :(
Tell me about it. I am a Panthers fan and will admit Panthers fans are the worst for this. I poke around forums like this to avoid the trainwreck that is the Panthers message board.

Quit calling him Dwill, Jesus.
I own Williams in a dynasty and I'd love to see him used more. And on the surface the playcalling looks REALLY stupid (and maybe it is). HOWEVER, in their defense, Williams is already pretty banged up with limited action. He was a game-time D last week, and was playing on a short turnaround. I'm not sure doubling his workload is a viable option.To pull a double-reverse though, I'll also say that this game was essentially "the season" for Carolina, and I might have pulled out a few more "stops" with regard to Deangelo this week considering that. Next week doesn't matter much when you are basically knocked out of the playoffs THIS week.

Sounds like a Notre Dame football board here now....fire the coach! :topcat:
Tell me about it. I am a Panthers fan and will admit Panthers fans are the worst for this. I poke around forums like this to avoid the trainwreck that is the Panthers message board.
I don't know why you're such a Fox apologist. Carolina fans haven't been overly obnoxious about this issue. Imagine if Fox was coaching in Philly? I'm not a Carolina fan, but I feel bad for them. It has been unbelievably frustrating watching them this season.

Sounds like a Notre Dame football board here now....fire the coach! :goodposting:
I don't know why you're such a Fox apologist. Carolina fans haven't been overly obnoxious about this issue. Imagine if Fox was coaching in Philly? I'm not a Carolina fan, but I feel bad for them. It has been unbelievably frustrating watching them this season.
Yeah, Philly fans wouldn't stand for a coach that passed too much instead of running his stud RB...

Wait, we are firing John Fox for not running the football?

John Fox = defensive minded coach who loves to run the football

Coming in to last nights game Carolina was the 3rd most run heavy team this year.

In 2008 Carolina was the 3rd most run heavy team behind only Baltimore and Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong. I understand firing John Fox for "losing his team" if you can find a suitable replacement. The team has noticeably lacked intensity and focus this year at times. If you want to justify a firing for those reasons, fine. But to fire him for playcalling in which he did not have control is illogical. Also, consider they were down double digits and were without their franchise left tackle and full back. The amount of passes should not overly surprise anyone considering the situation. In the big picture, they are still one of the top running teams in the league.

Carolina's other receiving options besides Smith are dreadful. The two TEs, Jarrett, and Muhammed are all so slow and get no separation whatsoever.

Coming in to last nights game Carolina was the 3rd most run heavy team this year.

In 2008 Carolina was the 3rd most run heavy team behind only Baltimore and Atlanta.

Don't get me wrong. I understand firing John Fox for "losing his team" if you can find a suitable replacement. The team has noticeably lacked intensity and focus this year at times. If you want to justify a firing for those reasons, fine. But to fire him for playcalling in which he did not have control is illogical. Also, consider they were down double digits and were without their franchise left tackle and full back. The amount of passes should not overly surprise anyone considering the situation. In the big picture, they are still one of the top running teams in the league.
Last I checked, John Fox was the head coach in Carolina. Perhaps, if you were the head coach watching that debacle, you might whisper in someone's ear "hey, do we have a sudden allergy to running the ball?"

END OF STORY

30 plays a game you should run D-Lo, heck if you hand it to him twice in a row u have a first down, not to mention Miami kept 7 in the box most the night, but nope....lets have this brilliant idea to put the ball in the guys hands who has already thrown 10+ picks this year, and when we do that lets put in a scrub named Sutton over our all world stud amungst studs RB.

I wanna punch Fox for not running to the OC and smacking him across to face to say "1st and Goal from the 8 and not one play to D-Lo!"

UGGGGHHH!!!!
Unfortunately not.

For those blaming Delhomme, he wasn't the problem last night
Actually, he was. He missed Smith on the deep throw early and the interception near the MIA 5 was a result of throwing to the wrong window or that was 6, too.The game plan heading into last night was to throw against the Dolphins rookie CB's in order to open up the run, and it should have been effective if executed properly.Granted, losing Gross last week did not help with protection, but when the opportunites were there, Jake missed some.

Dwill - 4th qaurter -- 1 carry.

WOW -- the biggest weapon on either sideline and he gets 1 carry when it counts the most.

For those blaming Delhomme, he wasn't the problem last night
Actually, he was. He missed Smith on the deep throw early and the interception near the MIA 5 was a result of throwing to the wrong window or that was 6, too.The game plan heading into last night was to throw against the Dolphins rookie CB's in order to open up the run, and it should have been effective if executed properly.Granted, losing Gross last week did not help with protection, but when the opportunites were there, Jake missed some.
Completeing less then 50% off your passes and your not the problem, you just lost your privs man!You shouldnt be allowed to post cuz obviously you were not watching the game!when you have D-Lo in the backfield and your not giving it to him, you better be well over 65% comp pct. if your not gonna give it to D-Lo....46% is unacceptable for any NFL quarterback whicj is around the area Delhomme was last night, and if I'm not mistaked not too much better then that on the year. Whats funny is Del-laime audibled a lot out of a run formation just to have D-Lo set up offset to throw an incompletion.

You are kidding, right? The head coach is responsible for everything HIS coaching staff does, so if the play-calling is bad, that is on both the head coach and whichever coach is calling plays. Fox's winning record in Carolina is hard to overlook, but I think this season is gonna cost him his job, and like has been said, there is simply no excuse for abandoning the run like they have at times this year. They did it in the Dallas game, and they did it last night; both of those games were winnable had they not put the game in Jake Delhomme's hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are kidding, right? The head coach is responsible for everything HIS coaching staff does, so if the play-calling is bad, that is on both the head coach and whichever coach is calling plays. Fox's winning record in Carolina is hard to overlook, but I think this season is gonna cost him his job, and like has been said, there is simply no excuse for abandoning the run like they have at times this year. They did it in the Dallas game, and they did it last night; both of those games were winnable had they not put the game in Jake Delhomme's hands.
Not kidding. Carolina was down double digits the start of the 3rd quarter and most of the second half. Really the only time they were within one score was the final drive. In the first half the run pass ratio was 15/17. If you exclude the last 3 prayer pass attempts at the end of the half and the run/pass ratio is over 50% toward the run. Almost right where it is normally.So, yes I think it is illogical to fire a coach just because he did not demand to run the ball down double digits in the second half. I am just surprised I am alone in this train of thought.

Not kidding. Carolina was down double digits the start of the 3rd quarter and most of the second half. Really the only time they were within one score was the final drive. In the first half the run pass ratio was 15/17. If you exclude the last 3 prayer pass attempts at the end of the half and the run/pass ratio is over 50% toward the run. Almost right where it is normally. So, yes I think it is illogical to fire a coach just because he did not demand to run the ball down double digits in the second half. I am just surprised I am alone in this train of thought.
How do you explain three straight pass plays with 1st and goal from the 7 (score tied 0-0)? They are a running team, that is where their strength is, why go away from it when it matters the most? The HC can, and should, force the OC to call different plays, if the plays he is calling are the wrong ones.How do you explain only 1 run play on goal to go from the 8 yard line (down 14-3, but a TD here makes it a 4 point game, with an entire quarter left)? Again, same rationale as above-Carolina is a running team, why not play to your strength when it's most important?How do you explain having Sutton in the game for the last drive for a FG? Williams should have been in there-he is a good pass receiver, and perhaps their best big play weapon. But even if you don't agree with Williams, why have Sutton in the game? Again, Fox needs to make this call.

I think Fox is a good coach that has way too many brain farts and is too loyal. His clock management and play selection leaves you wondering what in the hell he is thinking some times. The players love him and he stresses defense and running the ball which should be 2 staples of any good football team. The way he has hitched his wagon to Jake this year is sickening and will be his ultimate downfall. Part of me wants to see Fox as the coach with another qb (but this will never happen as it stands now) and part of me would love to see Cowher or Shanny coaching our rb's. Cowher of course is the hot rumor.

Where's Simey and crew to defend hiring an OC from the Browns.
I think the play calling this year has been terrible in some of the games. When Davidson was hired, I was willing to give him a chance. You were bad mouthing him before he ever stepped foot in Charlotte, all because he was coming over from the Browns. He has had some up and down times with the Panthers. I didn't see you complaining about him last year. Anyway, I don't know why he has backed off from running at times this year, yet relies on a QB that just isn't capable of performing to the extent he used to be able to. It's frustrating to watch that's for sure. So why did you write your post in regard to me? I think you enjoy being a jackass.

Not kidding. Carolina was down double digits the start of the 3rd quarter and most of the second half. Really the only time they were within one score was the final drive. In the first half the run pass ratio was 15/17. If you exclude the last 3 prayer pass attempts at the end of the half and the run/pass ratio is over 50% toward the run. Almost right where it is normally. So, yes I think it is illogical to fire a coach just because he did not demand to run the ball down double digits in the second half. I am just surprised I am alone in this train of thought.
How do you explain three straight pass plays with 1st and goal from the 7 (score tied 0-0)? They are a running team, that is where their strength is, why go away from it when it matters the most? The HC can, and should, force the OC to call different plays, if the plays he is calling are the wrong ones.How do you explain only 1 run play on goal to go from the 8 yard line (down 14-3, but a TD here makes it a 4 point game, with an entire quarter left)? Again, same rationale as above-Carolina is a running team, why not play to your strength when it's most important?How do you explain having Sutton in the game for the last drive for a FG? Williams should have been in there-he is a good pass receiver, and perhaps their best big play weapon. But even if you don't agree with Williams, why have Sutton in the game? Again, Fox needs to make this call.
I also was yelling to run D Will during many of the goalline situations. But, if memory serves me right, many of the calls were audibled at the line by Jake. I will need to rewatch and double check how many times this happened during the instances you mentioned in the red zone.

I think Fox is a good coach that has way too many brain farts and is too loyal. His clock management and play selection leaves you wondering what in the hell he is thinking some times. The players love him and he stresses defense and running the ball which should be 2 staples of any good football team. The way he has hitched his wagon to Jake this year is sickening and will be his ultimate downfall. Part of me wants to see Fox as the coach with another qb (but this will never happen as it stands now) and part of me would love to see Cowher or Shanny coaching our rb's. Cowher of course is the hot rumor.
Good points and I agree. Fox is a likable coach but he must own stock in Jake Delturnover. I'd like to see Cowher take over next season, or Gruden. I can't picture Shanny in Carolina.

Users who are viewing this thread