What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Could the best college team beat a CFL team? (1 Viewer)

Could the best college team beat a CFL team?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John Mamula

OK, we all know that a college team would HAVE NO CHANCE against an NFL team. However, what about a CFL team?

I think that a Texas or USC could beat any CFL team, and probably by double digits.

Vince Young and Reggie Bush are twice the player any CFL player is.

Discuss.

What field, ball and rules are they using?
Normal rules. Not the goofy rules they play up norf.
Well that changes everything then.Put in on the CFL field with their big ball and their rules and the college teams will lose.

Only the TOP TOP TOP teams in College could compete with a CFL team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that changes everything then.Put in on the CFL field with their big ball and their rules and the college teams will lose.
:shrug: But that's not really football though is it?

And I still think even with the CFL rules it would be close. Nobody could guard Bush or Young in the CFL.

And I still think even with the CFL rules it would be close. Nobody could guard Bush or Young in the CFL.
They are entirely different games though. Larger field, large ball, more downs, extra player on the field, WR moving before the snap......The rules play a large part in who holds the advantage.

Players in the CFL are groomed and selected based on the large field and their style of play (i.e. choosing agile O-lineman and D-lineman instead of 400 pound beasts)

CFL is not real football? Please define what real football is.Two different games, but a CFL team is build on defense and is a passing game more than NFL ball. It would not happen - so why discuss it?

CFL is not real football? Please define what real football is.Two different games, but a CFL team is build on defense and is a passing game more than NFL ball. It would not happen - so why discuss it?
College/NFL rules is football.Arena and CFL are variations of the true game but field goals from your own end zone and running forward before the ball is hiked and 20 yard endzones are derived to garner interest due to the inferior talent on the field.

Who says it won't happen?

No, the college team would not have a chance.

CFL teams are essentailly the "minor leagues" of the NFL, even though the NFL doesn't use them as such.

That means that when the NFL teams take roughly the top 270-280 from each college class, the CFL and the AFL divvy up roughly the rest of the talent - from the most talented players left in the pool from all colleges at all levels.

Then you do that over 8-10 years and build veterans with more strength, knowledge, and game savvy while adding these rookies each year.

There's no way, even with the most elite college teams, that they can replenish from the crop of high school players, with only 5 years of carry over experience on younger, less experienced players and come close to matching the collective level of athletes playing in the CFL. On a on-on-one comparison, colleges may have the edge with some of the elite athletes. As a team, there's no way that college teams stand up to CFL teams.

The claim that the elite college teams could compete with CFL teams just isn't logical, and can be plainly seen when one looks at the logistics.

College/NFL rules is football.Arena and CFL are variations of the true game but field goals from your own end zone and running forward before the ball is hiked and 20 yard endzones are derived to garner interest due to the inferior talent on the field.

You might want to check your facts. IIRC, the Canadian version of the game has been played about as long as the American version. In fact, some of our Canadian friends can correct me on this, but wasn't last season the 75th Grey Cup?

Players in the CFL are groomed and selected based on the large field and their style of play (i.e. choosing agile O-lineman and D-lineman instead of 400 pound beasts)
Actually CFL players are NFL rejects.The majority of these USC and Texas will be NFL players.

You might want to check your facts. IIRC, the Canadian version of the game has been played about as long as the American version. In fact, some of our Canadian friends can correct me on this, but wasn't last season the 75th Grey Cup?
Who invented the game?

Actually CFL players are NFL rejects.The majority of these USC and Texas will be NFL players.
I agree, but the CFL chooses players and has players excel who are groomed for the CFL game. If a CFL has to choose between a lighter, more agile O-lineman or a beast....they are taking the agile player, whereas an NFL team would choose the beast

The 93rd Grey Cup game was held on November 27, 2005 at B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia between the Edmonton Eskimos and the Montreal Alouettes

And when we field punts...WE RUN THEM....we do not wave at the clouds and ask for a chance not to get tackled... :D

The 93rd Grey Cup game was held on November 27, 2005 at B.C. Place Stadium in Vancouver, British Columbia between the Edmonton Eskimos and the Montreal AlouettesAnd when we field punts or kickoffs...WE RUN THEM....we do not wave at the clouds and ask for a chance not to get tackled...

CFL teams are essentailly the "minor leagues" of the NFL, even though the NFL doesn't use them as such.

That means that when the NFL teams take roughly the top 270-280 from each college class, the CFL and the AFL divvy up roughly the rest of the talent - from the most talented players left in the pool from all colleges at all levels.

Then you do that over 8-10 years and build veterans with more strength, knowledge, and game savvy while adding these rookies each year.

There's no way, even with the most elite college teams, that they can replenish from the crop of high school players, with only 5 years of carry over experience on younger, less experienced players and come close to matching the collective level of athletes playing in the CFL. On a on-on-one comparison, colleges may have the edge with some of the elite athletes. As a team, there's no way that college teams stand up to CFL teams.

The claim that the elite college teams could compete with CFL teams just isn't logical, and can be plainly seen when one looks at the logistics.
CFL is the minor leagues? Actually that is NFLE.CFL is for people who do not have the talent to play in the NFL. I doubt less than 1% of the CFL players ever sniff the NFL.

I want to make sure that I understand you correctly. So of the say 135 players that each play football for USC & Texas over 5 years, you are saying that at least 135 of those combined players will play in the NFL?That's patently ludicrous.

I agree, but the CFL chooses players and has players excel who are groomed for the CFL game. If a CFL has to choose between a lighter, more agile O-lineman or a beast....they are taking the agile player, whereas an NFL team would choose the beast
Actually the NFL would take either if they had talent.It is only the no talent agile players that the CFL gets.

CFL is the minor leagues? Actually that is NFLE.CFL is for people who do not have the talent to play in the NFL. I doubt less than 1% of the CFL players ever sniff the NFL.
Right on. I see the pecking order for minor leagues of the NFL as:1. NCAA

2. NFLE

3. CFL

4. Arena

And yes, I think the gap is that large.

I want to make sure that I understand you correctly. So of the say 135 players that each play football for USC & Texas over 5 years, you are saying that at least 135 of those combined players will play in the NFL?That's patently ludicrous.
I am talking about starters obviously. Please keep up to not hold back the discussion.

Who invented the game?
Thats up for debate.
Both American football and soccer have their origins in varieties of football played in the United Kingdom in the mid-19th century, and American football is directly descended from rugby football.

Rugby was first introduced to North America in Canada, brought by the British Army garrison in Montreal which played a series of games with McGill University. Both Canadian and American football evolved from this point.

American football in its current form grew out of a series of three games between Harvard University and McGill University of Montreal in 1874. McGill played rugby football while Harvard played the Boston Game, which was closer to soccer.

I would disagree with this. Teams send players to NFLE exactly because they are not good enough to keep in their off season training programs and the teams are hoping the playing experience will cause a few of them to translate their talent successfully to the NFL.The CFL is much, much closer to NFLE than NFLE is to the NFL. And that still doesn't make the case that elite college teams could compete with CFL teams, since the talent gap, age/physical maturity/mental maturity, and experience is so wide between NFL teams and college teams.

You might want to check your facts.  IIRC, the Canadian version of the game has been played about as long as the American version.  In fact, some of our Canadian friends can correct me on this, but wasn't last season the 75th Grey Cup?
Who invented the game?
Thats up for debate.
American football in its current form grew out of a series of three games between Harvard University and McGill University of Montreal in 1874. McGill played rugby football while Harvard played the Boston Game, which was closer to soccer.
:own3d:

I am talking about starters obviously. Please keep up to not hold back the discussion.
Okay, so let me make sure that I understand you correctly.You are saying that of the roughly 50 starters for each of USC and Texas over 5 years, that a collective 50 of them will play in the NFL?

That's patently ludicrous.

Okay, so let me make sure that I understand you correctly.

You are saying that of the roughly 50 starters for each of USC and Texas over 5 years, that a collective 50 of them will play in the NFL?

:confused: USC had 11 players drafted this year alone:

Reggie Bush – RB – 1st round – 2nd overall to New OrleansMatt Leinart – QB – 1st round – 10th overall to ArizonaWinston Justice – OT – 2nd round – 39th overall to PhiladelphiaDeuce Lutui – OG – 2nd round-41st overall to ArizonaLenDale White – RB – 2nd round – 45th overall to TennesseeFrostee Rucker – DE – 3rd round – 91st overall to CincinnatiDominique Byrd – TE – 3rd round – 93rd overall to St. LouisDarnell Bing – S – 4th round – 101st overall to OaklandDavid Kirtman – FB – 5th round – 163rd overall to SeattleLaJuan Ramsey – DT – 6th round – 204th overall to PhiladelphiaFred Matua – OG – 7th round – 217th overall to Detroit Texas had 6:

Player Rnd/Pk Team Vince Young 1/3 Titans Michael Huff 1/7 Raiders Cedric Griffin 2/48 Vikings David Thomas 3/86 Patriots Jonathan Scott 5/141 Lions Rod Wright 7/226 Dolphins They could easily hit 50 players drafted over 5 years.

I can site several examples of each of the following:

- Great CFL players making decent NFL impact

- Great CFL plauers blowing in the NFL

- Decent NFLers bombing in the CFL

- Decent NFLers succeeding in the CFL

That doesn't add much to the college question though, so I'll just re-enforce past points.

- College is made up of 21 year olds who only a fraction of which will play Pro Ball

- CFL is made up of 28 year olds who have played five years of Pro Ball

- The Rules would matter to the point of deciding the outcome, but I still think the CFL team would win.

This debate raged last year up north when fans asked if our 2005 Junior Team could beat a bad NHL team. There is NO WAY, based on size and experience alone. And while that 2005 team has ALREADY produced 5-10 very good NHLers, half the team will never make an impact. Case closed.

Okay, so let me make sure that I understand you correctly.

You are saying that of the roughly 50 starters for each of USC and Texas over 5 years, that a collective 50 of them will play in the NFL?

:confused: USC had 11 players drafted this year alone:

Reggie Bush – RB – 1st round – 2nd overall to New OrleansMatt Leinart – QB – 1st round – 10th overall to ArizonaWinston Justice – OT – 2nd round – 39th overall to PhiladelphiaDeuce Lutui – OG – 2nd round-41st overall to ArizonaLenDale White – RB – 2nd round – 45th overall to TennesseeFrostee Rucker – DE – 3rd round – 91st overall to CincinnatiDominique Byrd – TE – 3rd round – 93rd overall to St. LouisDarnell Bing – S – 4th round – 101st overall to OaklandDavid Kirtman – FB – 5th round – 163rd overall to SeattleLaJuan Ramsey – DT – 6th round – 204th overall to PhiladelphiaFred Matua – OG – 7th round – 217th overall to Detroit Texas had 6:

Player Rnd/Pk Team  Vince Young 1/3 Titans Michael Huff 1/7 Raiders Cedric Griffin 2/48 Vikings David Thomas 3/86 Patriots Jonathan Scott 5/141 Lions Rod Wright 7/226 Dolphins They could easily hit 50 players drafted over 5 years.
Your assumption, of course is that drafted = plays in NFL, which is obviously false. I'd love to revisit this in 5 years to see how badly you are overestimating the capabilities of the players on these teams.

I watch both league A-LOT. The CFL is essentially a league that has undesized 'skill' players. There may be a couple teams in the CFL that would allow the best college teams to have a sniff...but more or less the CFL team would absolutely demolish those kids! There are tons of Heisman winners in the CFL wight now...mainly undesized that mainly are average. There are always guys from the north signing NFL contracts in the NFL. And as mentioned are two different games but football is football and CFL teams would cake walk college!

Not even a comparison guys!!

This is pretty much what I wanted to say. These guys were good college players not someone who just walked off the street and they're MEN who been playing at that level for 5-10 years, no way a bunch of 18 - 21 year olds could beat them

I'll wade into this.

First, props for the reference to the McGill and Harvard games that was the origin of football as we know it today. I went to McGill, and know the tradition (but no, I never played football).

Second, the rules play an important part of the game. Like many have said, teams are built for a certain rule set. You might as well compare an NFL team to an Auzi Rules football game. Think Peyton Manning would have a chance in a game like that? No, he'd be knocked out in the first 5 minutes. Or think one of the big Auzi-rules players would have a chance blocking a DT in NFL-rules football? Not likely.

Third, Doug Flutie was one of the best QBs in the CFL, but only an OK QB in the NFL. Warren Moon was perhaps the best CFL QB, and was a solid NFL QB as well. Either of those guys would pick apart a college defense, but then again - those were the best. The current group of CFL QBs would probably be able to pick apart a college defense equally as well.

So, let's break it down by keeping things "Fair" - one game using CFL rules, one using NFL rules.

College players on a CFL field: I think the edge would go to the CFL team. Why? Better knowledge of the rules, how to use the larger field, and the strategies to win a 3-down game. They would also be more suited to the faster play (smaller OL & DL).

CFL Players on a College field: I also would give the edge to the CFLers on this. Many of them have "grown up" playing in the US College system (not the majority as there are "Canadian Content" rules for CFL teams). The keys to why the CFL teams would win: 1) Better coverage defense would make it harder for the College team to throw on them; (2) poorer college defense would allow the veteran CFL QBs to pick apart the defense over an entire game. I honestly think it would come down to those two areas - the CFL team would just out-defend the college teams.

Take that for what it's worth. I think experience would outweigh the pure physical tallent, for the same reason Doug Fluite "outplayed" Drew Breese early in his career with SD.

Although I am not a CFL fan I still have to go with the CFL over NCAA teams.

How many rookies come in and make an impact in the NFL in their first year? There are very few.

It takes time for these rookies to catch up to the pro game. Now there is a difference from the NFL and CFL, but the CFL teams are pros with experience which I will take over young guys with talent that may or may not be good down the road.

I'll wade into this.

First, props for the reference to the McGill and Harvard games that was the origin of football as we know it today. I went to McGill, and know the tradition (but no, I never played football).

Second, the rules play an important part of the game. Like many have said, teams are built for a certain rule set. You might as well compare an NFL team to an Auzi Rules football game. Think Peyton Manning would have a chance in a game like that? No, he'd be knocked out in the first 5 minutes. Or think one of the big Auzi-rules players would have a chance blocking a DT in NFL-rules football? Not likely.

Third, Doug Flutie was one of the best QBs in the CFL, but only an OK QB in the NFL. Warren Moon was perhaps the best CFL QB, and was a solid NFL QB as well. Either of those guys would pick apart a college defense, but then again - those were the best. The current group of CFL QBs would probably be able to pick apart a college defense equally as well.

So, let's break it down by keeping things "Fair" - one game using CFL rules, one using NFL rules.

College players on a CFL field: I think the edge would go to the CFL team. Why? Better knowledge of the rules, how to use the larger field, and the strategies to win a 3-down game. They would also be more suited to the faster play (smaller OL & DL).

CFL Players on a College field: I also would give the edge to the CFLers on this. Many of them have "grown up" playing in the US College system (not the majority as there are "Canadian Content" rules for CFL teams). The keys to why the CFL teams would win: 1) Better coverage defense would make it harder for the College team to throw on them; (2) poorer college defense would allow the veteran CFL QBs to pick apart the defense over an entire game. I honestly think it would come down to those two areas - the CFL team would just out-defend the college teams.

Take that for what it's worth. I think experience would outweigh the pure physical tallent, for the same reason Doug Fluite "outplayed" Drew Breese early in his career with SD.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use college rules for the NCAA players rather than NFL rules?

How many rookies come in and make an impact in the NFL in their first year? There are very few.

It takes time for these rookies to catch up to the pro game. Now there is a difference from the NFL and CFL, but the CFL teams are pros with experience which I will take over young guys with talent that may or may not be good down the road.
the difference being that the ncaa guys would be playing as a team in a system that they are familiar with not as nfl rookies just learning the ropes.

I'll wade into this.

First, props for the reference to the McGill and Harvard games that was the origin of football as we know it today.  I went to McGill, and know the tradition (but no, I never played football).

Second, the rules play an important part of the game.  Like many have said, teams are built for a certain rule set.  You might as well compare an NFL team to an Auzi Rules football game.  Think Peyton Manning would have a chance in a game like that?  No, he'd be knocked out in the first 5 minutes.  Or think one of the big Auzi-rules players would have a chance blocking a DT in NFL-rules football?  Not likely.

Third, Doug Flutie was one of the best QBs in the CFL, but only an OK QB in the NFL.  Warren Moon was perhaps the best CFL QB, and was a solid NFL QB as well.  Either of those guys would pick apart a college defense, but then again - those were the best.  The current group of CFL QBs would probably be able to pick apart a college defense equally as well.

College players on a CFL field:  I think the edge would go to the CFL team.  Why?  Better knowledge of the rules, how to use the larger field, and the strategies to win a 3-down game.  They would also be more suited to the faster play (smaller OL & DL).

CFL Players on a College field:  I also would give the edge to the CFLers on this.  Many of them have "grown up" playing in the US College system (not the majority as there are "Canadian Content" rules for CFL teams).  The keys to why the CFL teams would win:  1) Better coverage defense would make it harder for the College team to throw on them; (2) poorer college defense would allow the veteran CFL QBs to pick apart the defense over an entire game.  I honestly think it would come down to those two areas - the CFL team would just out-defend the college teams.

Take that for what it's worth.  I think experience would outweigh the pure physical tallent, for the same reason Doug Fluite "outplayed" Drew Breese early in his career with SD.
Wouldn't it make more sense to use college rules for the NCAA players rather than NFL rules?
i agree college rules would be best since 90+% of the cfl played in the ncaa

We are talking about the best college teams that have been playing together for 2-4 yrs, not a bunch of thrown together rookies. These guys will clearly know how to play together as a team and have their systems down.

I'll wade into this.First, props for the reference to the McGill and Harvard games that was the origin of football as we know it today. I went to McGill, and know the tradition (but no, I never played football).Second, the rules play an important part of the game. Like many have said, teams are built for a certain rule set. You might as well compare an NFL team to an Auzi Rules football game. Think Peyton Manning would have a chance in a game like that? No, he'd be knocked out in the first 5 minutes. Or think one of the big Auzi-rules players would have a chance blocking a DT in NFL-rules football? Not likely.Third, Doug Flutie was one of the best QBs in the CFL, but only an OK QB in the NFL. Warren Moon was perhaps the best CFL QB, and was a solid NFL QB as well. Either of those guys would pick apart a college defense, but then again - those were the best. The current group of CFL QBs would probably be able to pick apart a college defense equally as well.So, let's break it down by keeping things "Fair" - one game using CFL rules, one using NFL rules.College players on a CFL field: I think the edge would go to the CFL team. Why? Better knowledge of the rules, how to use the larger field, and the strategies to win a 3-down game. They would also be more suited to the faster play (smaller OL & DL).CFL Players on a College field: I also would give the edge to the CFLers on this. Many of them have "grown up" playing in the US College system (not the majority as there are "Canadian Content" rules for CFL teams). The keys to why the CFL teams would win: 1) Better coverage defense would make it harder for the College team to throw on them; (2) poorer college defense would allow the veteran CFL QBs to pick apart the defense over an entire game. I honestly think it would come down to those two areas - the CFL team would just out-defend the college teams.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: Thank you for the sanity.

Your assumption, of course is that drafted = plays in NFL, which is obviously false. I'd love to revisit this in 5 years to see how badly you are overestimating the capabilities of the players on these teams.
I know not all will play at an NFL level. However I don't need them to. I just need them to beat a CFL team. :popcorn:

I know not all will play at an NFL level. However I don't need them to. I just need them to beat a CFL team. :popcorn:
Why wait when you have a very applicable University of Mia team from 5 years ago that fits this bill very well?I'm sorry, but yes. I'll take that Mia team vs any CFL team easily.

Here are the guys drafted from the 2001 Mia team give or take:

2001 1 11 Dan Morgan MLB Carolina

2001 1 12 Damione Lewis NT St. Louis

2001 1 16 Santana Moss WR N.Y. Jets

2001 1 30 Reggie Wayne WR Indianapolis

2001 3 65 James Jackson RB Cleveland

2001 6 200 Leonard Myers CB New England

2001 7 245 Andre King WR Cleveland

2002 1 7 Bryant McKinnie T Minnesota

2002 1 14 Jeremy Shockey TE N.Y. Giants

2002 1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Oakland

2002 1 24 Ed Reed SS Baltimore

2002 1 27 Mike Rumph FS San Francisco

2002 2 51 Clinton Portis RB Denver

2002 4 116 Martin Bibla G Atlanta

2002 4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Green Bay

2002 6 183 James Lewis DB Indianapolis

2002 7 226 Daryl Jones WR N.Y. Giants

2002 7 227 Joaquin Gonzalez T Cleveland

2003 1 3 Andre Johnson WR Houston

2003 1 15 Jerome McDougle DE Philadelphia

2003 1 23 Willis McGahee RB Buffalo

2003 1 25 William Joseph DT N.Y. Giants

2003 3 89 Andrew Williams DE San Francisco

2003 4 131 Jamaal Green DE Philadelphia

2003 5 150 Matt Walters DE N.Y. Jets

2003 7 241 Ken Dorsey QB San Francisco

2004 1 5 Sean Taylor FS Washington

2004 1 6 Kellen Winslow TE Cleveland

2004 1 12 Jonathan Vilma MLB N.Y. Jets

2004 1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Denver

2004 1 19 Vernon Carey T Miami

2004 1 21 Vince Wilfork DT New England

2004 7 213 Darrell McClover OLB N.Y. Jets

2004 7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Chicago

2004 7 254 Carlos Joseph T San Diego

2005 1 8 Antrel Rolle CB Arizona

2005 2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Buffalo

2005 3 65 Frank Gore RB San Francisco

2005 3 86 Kevin Everett TE Buffalo

2005 6 200 Chris Myers G Denver

Your assumption, of course is that drafted = plays in NFL, which is obviously false.  I'd love to revisit this in 5 years to see how badly you are overestimating the capabilities of the players on these teams.
Why wait when you have a very applicable University of Mia team from 4 years ago that fits this bill very well?I'm sorry, but yes. I'll take that Mia team vs any CFL team easily.

Here are the guys drafted from the 2001 Mia team give or take:

2001 1 11 Dan Morgan MLB Carolina

2001 1 12 Damione Lewis NT St. Louis

2001 1 16 Santana Moss WR N.Y. Jets

2001 1 30 Reggie Wayne WR Indianapolis

2001 3 65 James Jackson RB Cleveland

2001 6 200 Leonard Myers CB New England

2001 7 245 Andre King WR Cleveland

2002 1 7 Bryant McKinnie T Minnesota

2002 1 14 Jeremy Shockey TE N.Y. Giants

2002 1 17 Phillip Buchanon CB Oakland

2002 1 24 Ed Reed SS Baltimore

2002 1 27 Mike Rumph FS San Francisco

2002 2 51 Clinton Portis RB Denver

2002 4 116 Martin Bibla G Atlanta

2002 4 135 Najeh Davenport RB Green Bay

2002 6 183 James Lewis DB Indianapolis

2002 7 226 Daryl Jones WR N.Y. Giants

2002 7 227 Joaquin Gonzalez T Cleveland

2003 1 3 Andre Johnson WR Houston

2003 1 15 Jerome McDougle DE Philadelphia

2003 1 23 Willis McGahee RB Buffalo

2003 1 25 William Joseph DT N.Y. Giants

2003 3 89 Andrew Williams DE San Francisco

2003 4 131 Jamaal Green DE Philadelphia

2003 5 150 Matt Walters DE N.Y. Jets

2003 7 241 Ken Dorsey QB San Francisco

2004 1 5 Sean Taylor FS Washington

2004 1 6 Kellen Winslow TE Cleveland

2004 1 12 Jonathan Vilma MLB N.Y. Jets

2004 1 17 D.J. Williams OLB Denver

2004 1 19 Vernon Carey T Miami

2004 1 21 Vince Wilfork DT New England

2004 7 213 Darrell McClover OLB N.Y. Jets

2004 7 215 Alfonso Marshall DB Chicago

2004 7 254 Carlos Joseph T San Diego

2005 1 8 Antrel Rolle CB Arizona

2005 2 55 Roscoe Parrish WR Buffalo

2005 3 65 Frank Gore RB San Francisco

2005 3 86 Kevin Everett TE Buffalo

2005 6 200 Chris Myers G Denver
So if you play this game in 2001 then players like Winslow and Vilma are 19/20 year old sophmores and will dominate against professionals??? You can't take a handful of star athletes from a college team and say there superior skills will carry a college team where the other 2/3s are merely student/athletes (with no dreams of becoming professionals) and expect them to beat a team of selected professional players.

Yes, it may happen in the course of one game (lord knows anything can happen in one game) but over the course of a season, the college players get beat often and by large margins....

Professionals are just that - paid to play football and they work at their career. As for college football - maybe a dozen players play to move up to the next level, the rest are there because they love the game and ultimately their skill level would cause an unlevel playing field - even in a match-up against CFL teams.

So if you play this game in 2001 then players like Winslow and Vilma are 19/20 year old sophmores and will dominate against professionals???

You can't take a handful of star athletes from a college team and say there superior skills will carry a college team where the other 2/3s are merely student/athletes (with no dreams of becoming professionals) and expect them to beat a team of selected professional players.

Yes, it may happen in the course of one game (lord knows anything can happen in one game) but over the course of a season, the college players get beat often and by large margins....

Professionals are just that - paid to play football and they work at their career. As for college football - maybe a dozen players play to move up to the next level, the rest are there because they love the game and ultimately their skill level would cause an unlevel playing field - even in a match-up against CFL teams.
You do realize that even if you make that assumption, there are still roughly 8 star players that were drafted in 2001 and 2002, players that the CFL couldn't even wet dream of having. This doesn't even factor that the other guys drafted more than likey are still capable football players either in the CFL or AFL or NFLE. Just I did not bold them cuz they were not STARS or good at the NFL level. This was a DEEP and Talented Mia team. One that has star power and ability that the CFL team can't even dream of matching. This team had roughly 40, thats FORTY, players the NFL deamed talented enough to be drafted. That is an entire roster alone in the CFL.I can understand the arguement that the CFL players are more mature and developed. I just don't see how those CFL teams can recover from the talent gap between some of the guys on this list and their own players. I mean we are talking about at least 5 Pro Bowl players drafted in just 2001 and 2002.

I think it's similar to the question of whether the top highschool teams in the country could beat a typical Division III college team.

In that matchup, the five best players on the field would probably all come from the highschool team, but so would the ten worst players on the field.

It'd be similar with the USC-Edmonton Eskimos matchup. The five best players on the field would all come from USC, but so would the ten worst.

In both cases, it'd be an interesting matchup I'd like to see.

I think it's similar to the question of whether the top highschool teams in the country could beat a typical Division III college team.

In that matchup, the five best players on the field would might all come from the high school team, but so would the 10-15 worst players on the field.

It'd be similar with the USC-Edmonton Eskimos matchup. The five best players on the field would all come from USC, but so would the 10-15 worst.

In both cases, it'd be an interesting matchup I'd like to see.
Having gone to a DIII school and seen our football team play, I will guarantee that a team like LaSalle or Mater Dei would crush us.Granted we weren't good and typically had a losing record but I think the elite high schools of the country could beat most "average" DIII teams.

Users who are viewing this thread