What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zero turn mower (1 Viewer)

ragincajun

Footballguy
Talk me out of a zero turn mower. Right now I have a self propelled push mower but it gets so darn hot and muggy down here in the summer I have almost gone into heat exhaustion several times. Drinking plenty of water etc.

I looked at regular riding mowers but have always loved the speed of the zero turn.

Oh yeah roughly .35 of an acre.

Talk me out of a zero turn mower. Right now I have a self propelled push mower but it gets so darn hot and muggy down here in the summer I have almost gone into heat exhaustion several times. Drinking plenty of water etc.

I looked at regular riding mowers but have always loved the speed of the zero turn.

Oh yeah roughly .35 of an acre.
WTF? For one third of an acre?

hahahahahahahaha

:firstworldlazyproblems:

The other issue is my mom is getting up and age and she has a little over a half acre soi would be cutting her grass also.

A zero turn mower is on my short list of wants. But its hard to justify the cost to save about 30 minutes/week. It takes me about an hour to cut a little under an acre on my LT2000 craftsman. Kinda just hoping the thing will die.

Would you pay $5 to rent one every time you mow? If that's worth it to you then buy the zero turn.

Have a ride on mower and my next mower will definitely be zero turn. Pull the trigger.

Btw, how long does it take you to cut the grass? We're talking twice a week right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Louisiana = twice a week.

If I cut .80 (mom and mine) of an acre twice a week that would be 1.6 acres a week total during roughly a 28 week mowing season.

The biggest factor in all of this is time. For me to cut, edge, etc my yard takes roughly 1.5 hours. Slow and steady in the humid summer days. So I am spending 3 hours a week on my yard and 4-5 on my moms so that's 8 hours a week x 28 so that's 224 hours a mowing season. 3k / 224 =$13.39 an hour.

Another way to look at it is if I paid someone to cut my grass that's $40 a pop x 112 cuts = $4,480......

Believe me when it kills me to spend that much on a mower I am just trying to figure out how to maximize my time.

If I cut .80 (mom and mine) of an acre twice a week that would be 1.6 acres a week total during roughly a 28 week mowing season.

The biggest factor in all of this is time. For me to cut, edge, etc my yard takes roughly 1.5 hours. Slow and steady in the humid summer days. So I am spending 3 hours a week on my yard and 4-5 on my moms so that's 8 hours a week x 28 so that's 224 hours a mowing season. 3k / 224 =$13.39 an hour.

Another way to look at it is if I paid someone to cut my grass that's $40 a pop x 112 cuts = $4,480......

Believe me when it kills me to spend that much on a mower I am just trying to figure out how to maximize my time.
Yeah, this is a no brainer if you have the funds

How big is your mower deck? 20inches?

just buy a self propelled 30 Inch deck for 900.

riding mower on .3 acre is silly. Although adding the Moms makes some sense

Twice a week? You let the grass grow 3 or 4 days then cut it? Is your yard actually a golf green?

Twice a week? You let the grass grow 3 or 4 days then cut it? Is your yard actually a golf green?
Maybe in the summer when grass goes dormant in the Northeast, but in the fall and especially in the spring, my grass requires 2 cuts if not 3 a week. Its ridiculous how fast it grows.

South Louisiana the grass grows like nobody's business.

I may take a series of shots over a period of one week and post them around July. 4 days and it's over my ankles.

A putting green would be sweet. Its the humidity that kills me. I wear a hat, drink plenty of fluids and my yard is partially shaded and it still slams you down.

I had one cut last year where I was home alone and my wife pulled up in the ole SUV to a scene of me sitting in the driveway holding the hose over my head. I literally could not stand. I usually chug a big Gatorade during the process also.

It really does kill me to buy a mower for my little yard but when you add the multiple cuts a week it starts to make sense for a riding just not a zero turn.

I do remeber seeing a toro brand that had pull behind attachments advertised but I don't see how. Could get tricky.

Zero turn radius.

You can basically turn around doing a 180 with missing any grass. Unless things changed they work similar to how a tank would work. Left wheels have their own throttle. Right have theres. So you give more throttle to one side to have it turn

NutterButter said:
matttyl said:
ragincajun said:
The other reason is I would like to be able to pull an aerator etc behind it.
Then get a regular mower, not a zero turn.
Can you pull an aerator with a zero turn? I'd love a zero turn someday, but not if I can pull things with it. I have the regular tractor with the pull aerator which is money to have.
You can, it's just harder to do I've found, and not all zeros have hitches in the back. I've got access to both, and if I need to pull an aerator or cart or something similar, I always use the regular mower.

ragincajun said:
South Louisiana the grass grows like nobody's business.

I may take a series of shots over a period of one week and post them around July. 4 days and it's over my ankles.
Sounds

ragincajun said:
A putting green would be sweet. Its the humidity that kills me. I wear a hat, drink plenty of fluids and my yard is partially shaded and it still slams you down.

I had one cut last year where I was home alone and my wife pulled up in the ole SUV to a scene of me sitting in the driveway holding the hose over my head. I literally could not stand. I usually chug a big Gatorade during the process also.
Sounds like you need to get a lawn service my friend.

Tough to drink beer on a zero turn. I mow my parents lawns and go around everything with a push mower first. Then jump on the rider and enjoy a beverage. :)

NutterButter said:
matttyl said:
ragincajun said:
The other reason is I would like to be able to pull an aerator etc behind it.
Then get a regular mower, not a zero turn.
Can you pull an aerator with a zero turn? I'd love a zero turn someday, but not if I can pull things with it. I have the regular tractor with the pull aerator which is money to have.
You can, it's just harder to do I've found, and not all zeros have hitches in the back. I've got access to both, and if I need to pull an aerator or cart or something similar, I always use the regular mower.
I need to keep this in mind when the day comes to make that decision.

If you're talking push vs riding, working two lawns twice a week... Definitely go riding.

I'm not sure anyone has made the case for a zero turn radius over a normal tractor. Can it do anything other than mow? For mowing, yes it's superb, but aerating? Seeding? Pulling a trailer of mulch?

ragincajun said:
Centipede now.

last summer was St. Aug
From wikpedia: "Centipedegrass is a low maintenance grass. It requires infrequent mowing." Time to make a wiki correction.

As a teenager, I mowed about 7 lawns in Miami. It was all St. Augustine grass. I never mowed any lawn more than once a week, even in the summer. The norm was once every 10 days to 2 weeks. Lower middle class neighborhood, so I don't think customers had the money for frequent mowing, not that I was expensive. It wasn't easy to cut lawns in the summer - on the really high grass lawns I had to use my powerful 5HP Tecumseh mower with side discharge so the cut grass wouldn't clog the blade area. And them rake up garbage cans full of grass clippings.

I used to love the beauty and smell of a fresh cut lawn. Fast forward 40 years: If I had to cut my lawn twice per week, I'd consider changing landscaping. Or buying a 3k mower.

i will never poo poo a guys decisionn to buy a mower so hey you go for it but jeez that sounds like a lot of dough for something to mow less than an acre maybe see iff you could get a used one or soemthing bromigo

It really does kill me to buy a mower for my little yard but when you add the multiple cuts a week it starts to make sense for a riding just not a zero turn.

I do remeber seeing a toro brand that had pull behind attachments advertised but I don't see how. Could get tricky.
The house we're going to move into this summer has about a 1 acre yard on a hillside (not horribly steep, but steep enough that pushing the mower would be tough). Our soon to be landlords have a riding mower (don't think it's a zero turn) which they won't take across the country with them. So they offered it to us for $500, about 1/3 of what it cost new a few years ago. I have no idea if this is a good deal or not but my FIL who works for a large retailer specializing in this area says it is, so we bought it.

I did not think I'd buy a riding mower for another 5-10 years, but here we are.

Sounds like an incredibly stupid way to throw way too much money at a basic home ownership issue.

Users who are viewing this thread