What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zach Sudfeld - TE Pats (1 Viewer)

at what point do you cut bait with guys like this?

its easier to cut bait if you drafted him in 13th round or later if your drafted early.

but i saw drafts were he got taken in 7th, 8th round after his hype train got rolling

Well, I am rolling with him again as I don't have any other options.
Zach Sudfeld - TE - Patriots

CSN New England reports Patriots TE Zach Sudfeld is expected to be inactive for Thursday's game against the Jets.

Source: Tom Curran on Twitter Sep 12 - 5:54 PM

I have a gut feeling that Sudfield has a good game tonight. Say, 5/70/1. I think the whole Gronk holding himself out tonight rubs BB the wrong way and, knowing he's passive aggressive/cocky, has McDaniels draw up a few plays to get Sudfield the ball - just to send a message. I could be completely off my rocker, as we haven't seen Sudfield do anything positive in 3 weeks, but it's just a feeling I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
The preseason darling just never found his game under the bright lights. Unfortunate.

Thankfully, I did not draft Sudfeld.

I have a gut feeling that Sudfield has a good game tonight. Say, 5/70/1. I think the whole Gronk holding himself out tonight rubs BB the wrong way and, knowing he's passive aggressive/cocky, has McDaniels draw up a few plays to get Sudfield the ball - just to send a message. I could be completely off my rocker, as we haven't seen Sudfield do anything positive in 3 weeks, but it's just a feeling I have.
Must've misinterpreted that feeling for what was actually bad gas.

Must've misinterpreted that feeling for what was actually bad gas.
:goodposting:

Greg A. Bedard‏@GregABedard1m

Welp RT @shalisemyoung: Patriots also cut Zach Sudfeld
Ha. I predicted this in the game thread the second he mishandled that onside kick. I've seen BB do this before.

He did it with Patrick Pass when he dropped the football to clutch at his hamstring. And he did with another ST player, Je'rod Cherry maybe? when he made a boneheaded play.

And I can almost guarantee David Thomas was cut in the offseason after the Pats lost to Colts in playoffs due in no small part to his pointless unsportsmanlike penalty on a late block.

Talk about a huge fall from grace. Seemed like one of the sleeper darlings in the preseason/training camp. Then just could never get things going once the regular season rolled out. A bunch of people were pretty high on him. Wonder why he couldn't get it figured out?

Kind of a crazy ride. I saw people blowing huge chunks of their Blind bid dollars on him and now he's just a "remember that one guy"...

Really funny how some guys come out of nowhere in the NFL and stick and some guys tease. The PAts have more undrafted guys and late round picks than probably any other team on their active roster (just a guess, not a fact). I guess they can't all stick.

FBG really missed on this guy. :topcat:
They missed, but I don't think they were terribly high on him either... when I did my redraft leagues, I remember Draft Dominator having him around TE25 or so. So, they still had him as barely rosterable in most redraft leagues.

They missed, but I don't think they were terribly high on him either... when I did my redraft leagues, I remember Draft Dominator having him around TE25 or so. So, they still had him as barely rosterable in most redraft leagues.
Meh, High risk high reward. If you have played fantasy football for any length of time you will have your hits and misses.

Meh, High risk high reward. If you have played fantasy football for any length of time you will have your hits and misses.
I mean yeah, but not even really high risk. He went undrafted and then for only a few dollars off waivers in my big money league to the Gronk owner. He had a chance to light the world on fire but I don't know if anyone was really expecting it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9012/zach-sudfeld

ESPN Boston calls Zach Sudfeld the Patriots' new "move option, replacing Aaron Hernandez."

The Patriots are carrying just three tight ends: Sudfeld, Rob Gronkowski and Michael Hoomanawanui. We know Sudfeld is going to play a major role while Gronk (back) is sidelined, but an ability to play the "move" spot suggests he could sustain value even when Gronk returns. Hernandez averaged 8.1 targets per game over the last two seasons. Sep 2 - 8:42 AM

Source: ESPN Boston
I don't think he's athletic enough to emulate Hernandez. Aaron isn't going to be easy to replace.
Hes athletic enough for what he needs it for. Hes only a little bit slower and he looks just as quick as Gronk (who has always looked quicker than Aaron) and hes bigger than Aaron, Sudfeld is 5" taller and has a 4" higher vert.

He will be more than capable of replacing Hernandez and if he can catch 70% of the balls thrown at him he will be a huge improvement.
C'mon now...put down the koolaid. Let's not pretend Hernandez was #### now. Sudfeld may be decent in the role, but let's not anoint him the next great UDFA just yet.
Believe what you want, I never liked Hernandez and that is evidence by my countless posts on the subject leading back into the 2011 preseason... Hernandez wasn't the physical freak people made him out to be - he was a big slow WR that played WR as a TE somehow over time his hands got worse.

No matter what you believe, Sudfeld is a bigger missmatch than Hernandez' slightly faster top end - and thats a fact.

Seemingly true, but not just FBG by any means. As mentioned above, Matthew Berry was very high on him as well; a lot of people missed on this guy...
He was a late draft pick in most leagues or a 1 or 2 dollar tight end in auctions. Hardly a huge miss, I tried buying him in my dynasty league before the season started and offered a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. I basically got laughed at and said it would take a 1st +.

He might catch on for the Jets.

Seemingly true, but not just FBG by any means. As mentioned above, Matthew Berry was very high on him as well; a lot of people missed on this guy...
He was a late draft pick in most leagues or a 1 or 2 dollar tight end in auctions. Hardly a huge miss, I tried buying him in my dynasty league before the season started and offered a 2nd round pick in the 2014 draft. I basically got laughed at and said it would take a 1st +.

He might catch on for the Jets.
That would be nice. I have lots of bench space during a dynasty rebuilding year, I guess that is as excitng as waiver wire scrubitude.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9012/zach-sudfeld

ESPN Boston calls Zach Sudfeld the Patriots' new "move option, replacing Aaron Hernandez."

The Patriots are carrying just three tight ends: Sudfeld, Rob Gronkowski and Michael Hoomanawanui. We know Sudfeld is going to play a major role while Gronk (back) is sidelined, but an ability to play the "move" spot suggests he could sustain value even when Gronk returns. Hernandez averaged 8.1 targets per game over the last two seasons. Sep 2 - 8:42 AM

Source: ESPN Boston
I don't think he's athletic enough to emulate Hernandez. Aaron isn't going to be easy to replace.
Hes athletic enough for what he needs it for. Hes only a little bit slower and he looks just as quick as Gronk (who has always looked quicker than Aaron) and hes bigger than Aaron, Sudfeld is 5" taller and has a 4" higher vert.

He will be more than capable of replacing Hernandez and if he can catch 70% of the balls thrown at him he will be a huge improvement.
C'mon now...put down the koolaid. Let's not pretend Hernandez was #### now. Sudfeld may be decent in the role, but let's not anoint him the next great UDFA just yet.
Believe what you want, I never liked Hernandez and that is evidence by my countless posts on the subject leading back into the 2011 preseason... Hernandez wasn't the physical freak people made him out to be - he was a big slow WR that played WR as a TE somehow over time his hands got worse.

No matter what you believe, Sudfeld is a bigger missmatch than Hernandez' slightly faster top end - and thats a fact.
Truly horrible even amongst this dude's other terrible posts and 'projections'.

Think are any plans for this guy to get any PT on the Jets or did they bring him in just for inside info?
I'd say it makes sense with KW out. Cumberland appears to be the guy but Sudfeld does have talent, but he may just become the standard backup journeyman TE that is found all over the league.

Rotoworld:

Zach Sudfeld - TE - Jets

Second-year TE Zach Sudfeld has been getting some first-team reps in Jets camp.

Sudfeld was overly hyped last summer. But he's a plus athlete at 6'7/253. "He's studying like nobody's business," said coach Rex Ryan. Sudfeld has a relatively clear path to playing time if he takes the next step in his development. Jeff Cumberland is a lumbering big-bodied tight end, while rookie Jace Amaro's first-year camp reviews have been anything but positive. Sudfeld deserves some attention in deep Dynasty leagues and could emerge on the re-draft map.

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter

Jul 30 - 1:32 PM
Second-year TE Zach Sudfeld has reportedly been the most impressive tight end so far at Jets camp.

Jeff Cumberland has been "relatively quiet," while second-round pick Jace Amaro has generally struggled and missed time with knee tendinitis. Positive news on Sudfeld may generate eyerolls in the fantasy community, but he still offers plus athleticism and stands 6'7/253. He probably won't make any fantasy noise in New York this season, but is worth monitoring in deep Dynasty leagues.

Jul 27 - 9:48 PM

Source: ESPN New York
The New York Daily News reports the Jets are "high" on second-year TE Zach Sudfeld's "potential."

The Jets aren't throwing in the towel on Sudfeld after re-signing Jeff Cumberland. A waiver claim from the Patriots last October, Sudfeld goes 6-foot-7, 253 with 4.78 wheels, soft hands, and a 37-inch vertical. He certainly has upside as a receiver, but must improve as a blocker and learn to better use his body.

Mar 8 - 8:54 AM

Rotoworld:

Zach Sudfeld - TE - Jets

Second-year TE Zach Sudfeld has been getting some first-team reps in Jets camp.

Sudfeld was overly hyped last summer. But he's a plus athlete at 6'7/253. "He's studying like nobody's business," said coach Rex Ryan. Sudfeld has a relatively clear path to playing time if he takes the next step in his development. Jeff Cumberland is a lumbering big-bodied tight end, while rookie Jace Amaro's first-year camp reviews have been anything but positive. Sudfeld deserves some attention in deep Dynasty leagues and could emerge on the re-draft map.

Jul 30 - 1:32 PM
Second-year TE Zach Sudfeld has reportedly been the most impressive tight end so far at Jets camp.

Jeff Cumberland has been "relatively quiet," while second-round pick Jace Amaro has generally struggled and missed time with knee tendinitis. Positive news on Sudfeld may generate eyerolls in the fantasy community, but he still offers plus athleticism and stands 6'7/253. He probably won't make any fantasy noise in New York this season, but is worth monitoring in deep Dynasty leagues.

Jul 27 - 9:48 PM

Source: ESPN New York
The New York Daily News reports the Jets are "high" on second-year TE Zach Sudfeld's "potential."

The Jets aren't throwing in the towel on Sudfeld after re-signing Jeff Cumberland. A waiver claim from the Patriots last October, Sudfeld goes 6-foot-7, 253 with 4.78 wheels, soft hands, and a 37-inch vertical. He certainly has upside as a receiver, but must improve as a blocker and learn to better use his body.

Mar 8 - 8:54 AM

He played very limited snaps last season - but you could see something there. Still a longshot, but the position is pretty wide open.

I'm terrified to go back and look at my posts in this thread.

That being said, the "Never Again" philosophy should never be used in fantasy. You'll end up missing out on a lot of late bloomers with that way. The TE position is probably the most difficult position on the field to learn and that's why most TE's take a year or two to become relevant at all. It's no surprise that Sudfeld failed on the Pats. Every receiver failed on the Pats. I'd imagine that is a very difficult offense to learn.

I'm looking forward to preseason and I'll keep an eye on him especially if the Amaro reports continue to be poor. If I were a struggling QB, a 6'7 guy would be my best friend.

Rotoworld:

Zach Sudfeld - TE - Jets

Zach Sudfeld has been more reliable than Jace Amaro so far at camp.

We're not writing off Amaro by any stretch, but his struggle to adjust out of Texas Tech's spread scheme and with drops have been well documented. Jeff Cumberland will be the primary in-line tight end, and Sudfeld appears to have the inside track on the "move" job.

Related: Jace Amaro

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 11 - 10:50 AM

Rotoworld:

Jets TE Zach Sudfeld tore his ACL during Organized Team Activities and will miss the 2015 season.

The third-year UDFA's career could be in doubt after this; he was already a long shot for a roster spot. The Jets signed blocking TE Steve Maneri.

Jun 15 - 5:31 PM

Users who are viewing this thread