What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Yahoo projections - worth considering? (1 Viewer)

danielmclark

Footballguy
I know it's impossible to predict who will have a breakout game or a total bust, but I don't have a lot of experience with Yahoo's system, so I don't know if I should be totally disregarding their projections or using them as part of the Big Picture (which includes research from FBG and a couple of other places) when deciding who to start or who to pick up off the wire. Looking at the past three weeks, they don't seem super reliable, but I'm willing to dig into the numbers if there's something to be learned.

Do you guys have any use for Yahoo's projections?

I know it's impossible to predict who will have a breakout game or a total bust, but I don't have a lot of experience with Yahoo's system, so I don't know if I should be totally disregarding their projections or using them as part of the Big Picture (which includes research from FBG and a couple of other places) when deciding who to start or who to pick up off the wire. Looking at the past three weeks, they don't seem super reliable, but I'm willing to dig into the numbers if there's something to be learned.

Do you guys have any use for Yahoo's projections?
I think you meant to post this on the Yahoo message board.

I've been on Yahoo, (and others) for quite some time.

Don't put much stock into there projections, ESPN isn't much better either.

The Yahoo projections, along w/ the blurbs associated w/ players previous performance, and the latest matchup are quite good. imho Its totally worth the time to consider the available info in basic/initial considerations. However as I personally believe it may actually be too good (opportunity to eliminate mistakes involving no effort) imho there is little to no chance of it ever eliminating bias. ie. IF Yahho is right-on for a specific point, don't blindly assume anything else is remotely correct.

Here's an example of how Yahoo could give good results. Should I start Rudolph or player (b) It may/should come down to the scoring in your League. Most may consider player B to be the winner based on receptions and yds. Yahoo could factor in how previous TE's performed, along w the opposing teams RZ Def leading to the belief that a TD is to be expected. Also responses' could be based on name and/or previous wks performance ignoring the current Defense ability to defend the pass.

Yahoo used to predict scoring that involved name's, and nothing else. It actually still does to a degree, But its not totally ignorant ex. In the past, I had grown quite accustomed to seeing my starting 3-down MLB listed as "don't start, and/or expect very little in points.

Also if possible, do some quick researching on a player before posting. Its kind of lame to post a question, and turn around to answer it. Especially if your wrong due to injury or otherwise..

Game projections are luck more than anything. Yahoo! is never correct and is very popular based, sleepers never have sleeper projections. They also update them last minute to look smarter then they are.

Yahoo is good for making trades as they annually over/under project players. They can help you make a deal if your trading partner takes their projections seriously.

Yahoo is good for making trades as they annually over/under project players. They can help you make a deal if your trading partner takes their projections seriously.
I have a major issue with this function. Very hard to make a trade when it weighs in your favor, spooking the other manager who may not have a better idea of how to rank the players involved.

It is worth the time to look at there projections and info, But do not let them "decide" for you.

EVERY week there are totally wacky projections from them, that leave you shaking your head.

(some just make no sense at all, no site is rock solid as you can't be, but yahoo take a big grain)

Never make a decision off their projections... I feel like they're there to make you feel good... Sure, I can set the highest projected Y! lineup, to make my team look good on paper, but it prob won't be the best team I send out.

It's better than ESPN. If a player is even semi-decent ESPN gives them a TD in their projected points so projected scores end up being inflated on ESPN. That being said, projections are all a guessing game so go with your gut.

CBS's "Edge" matchup projections are the worst. Whatever they predict, the exact opposite usually happens.

I agree with others saying they are better than ESPN and a lot of the other free sites. Sure, I factor in everybody's predictions before I make my own. When I'm at a loss and can't decide myself, I go with FBG ratings over Yahoo or Fantasy Pros though. I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't sway me a little just like every kook in this forum. Sometimes the kook is actually right. The more info you know the better off you are to make your own decision.

I pretty much totally disregard them. You play your studs, with your other players you go by matchups typically although talent and opportunity influence these decisions as well.

I do like the new feature this year where all you have to do is hover over your player's opponent and it says how that opponent ranks based on points given up per game to your player's position. Useful matchup info that is right there for you.

I have a major issue with this function. Very hard to make a trade when it weighs in your favor, spooking the other manager who may not have a better idea of how to rank the players involved.
Yeah, I have no idea if other people actually evaluate trade offers based on the Yahoo evaluate trade feature, but I hate it. It just shows these seasonal differential numbers which are flat out not true, putting some sort of opinion into your league mates' head on the trade that is almost certainly not accurate. When their weekly projections are inaccurate, using a seasonal differential only compounds that. And that is just for straight up trades, because it is even less "useful" for 2 for 1 trades.

For instance, Im trying to trade for Colston (non-PPR). I offered Mathews for Colston straight up, got rejected, which I expected. Ive now offered Mathews and Edelman for Colston. For my opponent it says he only gains +1.06pts this week, yet theyre projecting he would have both Mathews and Edelman in his lineup, which is actually a +8.64pts gain this week. How they come up with their point differential, I have no clue. Then of course looking at future weeks, Edelman's value/production isnt even used if they project other WRs or RBs (flex) to have more points than him, basically eliminating his portion of the value in this trade. Dont even get me into the intangibles of trading like current roster that it is useless for, for instance this opponent's RBs are MJD, DRich, McGahee, Vereen, Woodhead and we can start 4RBs so clearly he has issues here, and he also has Amendola (who yahoo is projecting pts for every week after week 4) so Edelman would be a pretty good handcuff for him.

Totally useless and downright incorrect trade evaluator.

Users who are viewing this thread