What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WRs Poised to Break Out in 2010? (1 Viewer)

Would you have the gonads to select one as a WR2? (Edited to Add May Select More Than One Choice)

• Dwayne Bowe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Braylon Edwards

• Pierre Garcon

• James Jones

• Steve Breaston

• Lee Evans

• Johnny Knox

• Robert Meachum

• Percy Harvin

• Mike Wallace

• Early Doucet

• Laurent Robinson

• Devin Thomas

• Mike Williams TB

• Mike Sims-Walker

• Total voters

Hoot&HoLLer

Footballguy
Some draft strategies have people looking to go after stud WR's in first few rounds and fill rosters with RBBC's. Others may elect to draft RB's or QB's early and try to find a breakout WR in mid rounds.

Just curious who savvy rankers in the SP might look at as being some WR's with upside. I tried to list choices that were players in interesting situations that could possibly surprise with breakout seasons as a bonfide WR2. Obviously some on the list, like Braylon Edwards or Dwayne Bowe, would be looking to return to higher levels of performance after regressing, dropping off.

Which WR not on the list would you add? Who on the list is a joke for even having been added as an option for consideration as a WR2?

Thanks for voting and posting your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good list. MSW and Mike Wallace seem like they would be consensus. Surprised to see votes for Devin Thomas. I actually think Braylon Edwards might rebound this year. Helps that Holmes will miss 4 games. Maybe add Avery and Benns and Royal to the vote list...would be interested to see what others think on their breakout possibilities as wr2.

How does Harvin only have 9 of 28 possible votes? The guy was a decent WR2 as a rookie.

As a Braylon Edwards dynasty owner, I find it quite assuring that he currently has zero votes. :thumbup:

Can Maclin and Nicks and others noted in the thread be added as additional voting choices?

Yuppers - I am really digging Hicks & Maclin. If Kolb delivers as many believe he will, I like Maclin more since him, Celek & Djax are mostly the guys who will be getting targeted in Philly. I am big on Nicks as well, but NYG have so many weapons for Eli. If Eli is anything like Peyton, you know he'll spread it around. For that reason, I like Maclin to quietly out-perform Nicks.

No mistake bout it though - I like both these cats to be huge this year!

If I could have voted None of the Above I would have; pretty bad list. WR3? Sure. Several of these guys. WR2? I am hard pressed to say that any of them are likely to become WR2.

If I could have voted None of the Above I would have; pretty bad list. WR3? Sure. Several of these guys. WR2? I am hard pressed to say that any of them are likely to become WR2.
See, I thought that it was a good list. OP wrote, tried to list choices that were players in interesting situations that could possibly surprise with breakout seasons as a bonfide WR2. :shrug: Some of those listed would seem to be an interesting case for surprising as a WR2.

I was thinking the exact opposite. MSW and Harvin already broke out and performed like WR2s. Harvin or MSW clearly stand out in this group.

I voted for:

Mike Sims-Walker - He was already WR23 in my league last season, so he was a WR2 already.

Percy Harvin - Same deal - he was WR25 last season.

Dwayne Bowe - I just think the fact that he is getting his last shot will make him actually dedicate himself.

Braylon Edwards - He has the talent, he just needs the focus.

Steve Breaston - I am shaky on him as WR2, but he did it 2 years ago (WR26 in 2008)

Johnny Knox - I think he is going to do well in Martz' system.

Mike Wallace - he has the opportunity, and was WR34 last year in limited action.

Devin Thomas - I just think that having a quality QB back there will help him out, although I think that WR2 may be a little ambitious...more likely WR3.

TWP said:
Where is Larry Fitzgerald? He will be the biggest surprise WR2 of them all...
Interesting post. Is your reasoning because Boldin is gone? Or because Matty L? Interesting statement Fitz's has had good games when Boldin was injured and Lienert was his QB...I agree with the few obvious choices but think Meachem and D. Thomas present good draft value with a chance to out perform there ADP

TWP said:
Interesting post. Is your reasoning because Boldin is gone? Or because Matty L? Interesting statement Fitz's has had good games when Boldin was injured and Lienert was his QB...I agree with the few obvious choices but think Meachem and D. Thomas present good draft value with a chance to out perform there ADP
Matty L. I just don't see it. Yes, he had a few good games, but he has also sucked pretty hard most of the time. And obviously Fitz will be doubled. So you need him to beat a double (doable, but not going to happen all the time) and then have Matt deliver a strike (also doable, but the compound probability is not looking too attractive to me). I'm not sure I can REALLY convince myself he's not going to be a WR1, because he is so talented, but I'd be very hard pressed to take him as my WR1 even if he slips a decent amount...Anyways, it was kinda a joke post and a bit off topic, so sorry to sidetrack the thread. Carry on with the Maclin, Sims-Walker, Harvin love...

TWP said:
Matty L. I just don't see it. Yes, he had a few good games, but he has also sucked pretty hard most of the time. And obviously Fitz will be doubled. So you need him to beat a double (doable, but not going to happen all the time) and then have Matt deliver a strike (also doable, but the compound probability is not looking too attractive to me). I'm not sure I can REALLY convince myself he's not going to be a WR1, because he is so talented, but I'd be very hard pressed to take him as my WR1 even if he slips a decent amount...Anyways, it was kinda a joke post and a bit off topic, so sorry to sidetrack the thread. Carry on with the Maclin, Sims-Walker, Harvin love...
You talk as if Fitz hasn't been facing doubles for his entire career.You think he only put up numbers when the coverage rolled the other way?

I'm surprised so many people would take Bowe over Garcon right now.
I am not. I see Garcon at best the 3rd option, likely 4th option behind Wayne, Clark and Addai. Fighting with AGonzalez and Collie for looks. Sure, P Manning will throw for a lot more than Cassell, but many more mouths to feed.Bowe is an undisputed starter on KC.....based on pure opportunity, you have to give the nod to Bowe.That said, I hope none of those guys are my WR2, but I have have to pick, I would pick MSW, Bowe, or Harvin (only if Favre returns)

Yea some of these guys will even jump to be high wr1 quality. Happens every year, the wr list has usually been the highest turnover for top 10 finishes. The big question is who to bank on and not get the whammy! These guys (along with guys on NOBODYS radar) will be the keys to many a championship. Who will it be arghhhh!!! I hate picking wrong!

TWP said:
You talk as if Fitz hasn't been facing doubles for his entire career.You think he only put up numbers when the coverage rolled the other way?
No, I think he only put up numbers when he beat the double and the QB was able to deliver the ball... the latter part is the part I'm having a hard time seeing this year... And yes, I think he'll face more coverage this year than in past years considering Boldin is gone...

I'm surprised so many people would take Bowe over Garcon right now.
I am not. I see Garcon at best the 3rd option, likely 4th option behind Wayne, Clark and Addai. Fighting with AGonzalez and Collie for looks. Sure, P Manning will throw for a lot more than Cassell, but many more mouths to feed.Bowe is an undisputed starter on KC.....based on pure opportunity, you have to give the nod to Bowe.That said, I hope none of those guys are my WR2, but I have have to pick, I would pick MSW, Bowe, or Harvin (only if Favre returns)
How many games was the undisputed starter on KC a "DNP CD" last year?I think Garcon, and Collie actually, both outperformed Wayne and Clark during the second half of last season (even excluding the last two meaningless games). I have faith in Manning to find his best deep threat (Garcon averaged 16.3 ypc last year a full 3.7 ypc better than any other WR on the team) on a consistent enough basis for him to put WR2 numbers.I do concede that all those guys are a crap shoot, but I'll place my bet on Garcon for now.

TWP said:
No, I think he only put up numbers when he beat the double and the QB was able to deliver the ball... the latter part is the part I'm having a hard time seeing this year... And yes, I think he'll face more coverage this year than in past years considering Boldin is gone...
I have no concern over Boldin's absence and expect a downgrade at the QB position as well. But Fitz will be Leinart/Anderson's security blanket and will beat double teams with regularity. Fitz is most likely the hardest working WR in football and I think that will pay off no matter who is throwing him the ball.Not sure where he finishes the season, right now I have him optimistically as my #4 WR and can't see him dropping below #7.I think he'll be fine. But you're right, if he drops out of the top 12 it will be a huge surprise.

This is looking like a great call tonight. Ugh.

I don't think I'd trust any of these guys to be my WR2 yet. I'm certain a couple will turn into 2's and 1's but that's putting a lot of faith. The thing is where these guys are being drafted you don't have to trust them to be a WR 2. If you do you are probably going to be too stacked at other positions and won't be able to field your best players every week.

I do really like Garcon, Knox, Bowe and Wallace.

Users who are viewing this thread