What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WRs about to Breakout? (1 Viewer)

Braktastic

Footballguy
With apologies to theEinherjar for plagiarizing his idea, which WRs are about to breakout? I'm actually having a harder time identifying candidates for this than RBs and this is probably due to the more volatile nature of the position. In Waldman's Gut Check he recommends trading for RBS and hunting and gathering WRs. I agree with this, but hunting and gathering implies knowing where to look. I'm a bit lost. Here's what I do have though. What am I overlooking?

Allen Hurns

Jordan Matthews

Rueben Randle

Allen Robinson

When I hear "breakout" I think of someone who i would put in my lineup every week. Someone like Emanuel Sanders is someone who broke out this year. Do you all feel comfortable starting the guys being mentioned here every week?

Jarius Wright
Agreed. He and Teddy got something special goin' on.
Maybe. He had a couple good games last year as well (95-1TD and 69-2TDs) and there were 0 target games either before or after those games. He has always been wildly inconsistent. He had 37 yards in 3 games before week 4. Sometimes there are good match ups, but how often will the Vikings have 300+ yards passing and 200+ yards rushing?

In rough order for me:

1. Markus Wheaton - Has the talent, has the opportunity unless you believe Antonio Brown is literally going to finish the season with 120/2,000/20. Steelers' defense is living on their reputation and they'll be in their fair share of shootouts going forward. I drafted him in most leagues and I'm eagerly trying to land him where I didn't.

2. Reuben Randle - Averaged 14.9 YPC last year; averaging 8.2 this year. Yes, it's a new offense, but there's still going to be some mean-reversion in that number. Expecting WR3 numbers at worst ROS.

3. Mike Evans - Mike Glennon under center makes all Buc receiving options 7,484% more attractive (engineering estimate).

4. Marvin Jones - I wouldn't overpay for him as there's lots of risk here (and I expect him to start off slowly, so I wouldn't start him right away anyway). I do know that whatever the question may be, Mohamed Sanu isn't the answer.

Bonus candidate if you're in one of those ESPN leagues that only shows YTD points and rank and have lazy owners who don't do the PPG math:

5. Brian Quick - probable #1 guy on an offense that is likely to be surprisingly adequate this year.

When I hear "breakout" I think of someone who i would put in my lineup every week. Someone like Emanuel Sanders is someone who broke out this year. Do you all feel comfortable starting the guys being mentioned here every week?
Yes. Ideally, I'd like to identify this WR. I suppose it's possible he's already been identified (e.g. Brian Quick). But that's what I'm after. The next Keenan Allen. That's why I think Randle, Hurns, Robinson, and, as someone else mentioned, Wright are good candidates. WRs tend to breakout when a QB turns a corner on a new offensive system (e.g. Eli Manning) or a new QB takes over (e.g. Bortles and Bridgewater).

Sammy Watkins
yep...gotta feeling Old Neckbeard looks for Sammy early and often.
week 17 last year

30/46 358/2

just sayin
This is part of the reason that I am thinking of Woods. His targets have gone from 3 to 7 to 10 the past 3 weeks and snaps from 80% to 94% to 99%. I'm hoping Orton can help steady the offense a bit.

Certainly the same could be said of Watkins, but I thought that we were looking for more under-the-radar guys.

Guys that could be every week starts:

Evans (The brief injury might keep him on your waivers for another week or two)

Henderson

Jones

Buy week filler:

Hurns

Adams (Boykins is still getting too much play for my liking and the TE's are getting healthy)

Buy week filler:

Hurns

Adams (Boykins is still getting too much play for my liking and the TE's are getting healthy)
Boykins didn't play last week, and seems doubtful for tomorrow night. Concern over the improving TE situation seems reasonable though.

Interested to see what Hurns does moving forward. A few more targets a game and the development of some good timing with Bortles could push him up to WR2 territory with his big play ability.

Watkins...he's gotta catch it to do anything with it. Buffalo continues to struggle moving forward...

Lafell is turning thompkins and dobson into healthy scratches. Amendola has no targets. Lafell looked the part even as his team was getting rocked and he's new to the offense.

Buy buy buy

Lafell is turning thompkins and dobson into healthy scratches. Amendola has no targets. Lafell looked the part even as his team was getting rocked and he's new to the offense.

Buy buy buy
On that Patriots note, anyone know anything about Brian Tyms, who is set to return from a 4-game suspension?

LaFell has always seemed to be a flash in the pan, and as you say with Thompkins and Dobson in the doghouse and Amendola MIA, the opportunity for someone to emerge beyond Edelman and Gronk is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is probably a little higher profile then what the purpose is, but I think TY Hilton is on the verge of breaking out. Not as a startable guy, he's been that for some time, but as a top-10 guy. He's been crazy unlucky in the TD department. He's been stopped multiple times inside the 5. His yardage has increased in every game thus far this season as well.

I like the Watkins call. He's been getting open seemingly at will, but Manuel's accuracy has held him back. Not 100% sure Orton will be better, but I can't imagine he'll be worse. He's got WR2 upside, and I doubt he's being valued that high.

LaFell is an interesting name as a deeper sleeper, and I would add David Tyms to that. I refuse to believe Brady is going to continue to be as bad as he's been so far. Somebody will step up and become a reliable 3rd target for him, and that person will be worthy of every week WR3 status. Tyms was the best WR in the preseason in the entire NFL, and likely will pass Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson, without any trouble at all.

Jarius Wright
I agree a little BUT have to point out that backup quarterbacks tend to have more rapport with fourth and fifth wide receivers they throw to more often - after working with the first team he will learn what he needs to do with Jennings and more importantly Patterson and Wright is likely to fade a little

Captain Hook said:
Jarius Wright
I agree a little BUT have to point out that backup quarterbacks tend to have more rapport with fourth and fifth wide receivers they throw to more often - after working with the first team he will learn what he needs to do with Jennings and more importantly Patterson and Wright is likely to fade a little
I don't disagree with that, but I think long-term Wright can be startable. He might already have the #3 spot locked up even when Simpson comes back, and could eventually replace an aging Jennings.

Brian Quick is the guy I'm stashing. Seems like a quiet #1 guy on a team that will throw a lot.

WR Cotchery not a real breakout ... but will get 6-10 targets a game and catch the majority of them. Cam knows

zamboni said:
haterade said:

Buy buy buy
On that Patriots note, anyone know anything about Brian Tyms, who is set to return from a 4-game suspension?

LaFell has always seemed to be a flash in the pan, and as you say with Thompkins and Dobson in the doghouse and Amendola MIA, the opportunity for someone to emerge beyond Edelman and Gronk is there.
If history has taught us anything, one should have very little confidence in drawing a conclusion from a single Patriots game.

Hurns sticks out to me the most. He gets a bad rep for being looked at as the "boom/bust" guy, but he was a dumb TD trip-up from posting his third double-digit week. He may not get as many targets as Robinson or most other guys in this thread, but he breaks away from defenders and Bortles likes to sling it.

zamboni said:
haterade said:

Buy buy buy

If history has taught us anything, one should have very little confidence in drawing a conclusion from a single Patriots game.
Absolutely. And in LaFell's case a handful (at most) of Panthers games in which he put up numbers.

travdogg said:
This is probably a little higher profile then what the purpose is, but I think TY Hilton is on the verge of breaking out. Not as a startable guy, he's been that for some time, but as a top-10 guy. He's been crazy unlucky in the TD department. He's been stopped multiple times inside the 5. His yardage has increased in every game thus far this season as well.
10 targets a week from Andrew Luck is a good thing. He's due for a big one.

Brian Quick only mentioned a couple times. He is getting all the targets and has been really good so far. I think the hype train will take off after the cupcake secondary of the eagles.

PPR:

Breakout game: Davante Adams. Kind of WR I target for bench. He's a no brainer start if Nelson/Cobb go down. Boykin doesn't appear close to return (McCarthy already hinted could be out Week 6 as well). Option as bye week WR as well.

Breakout season: Brandon Cooks. I think eventually at some point this offense clicks. Played 3 road (vs. 1 home) so far. Eventually I think this offense must go a bit more vertical.

Patterson.

Jarius Wright had a great game last week because of game planning. I think this week they get the ball in Cordarelle's hands and he runs all over GB.

Captain Hook said:
Jarius Wright
does anyone have a snap count of the Minnesota wide receivers how often was Wright on the field compared to Jennings and Patterson

Captain Hook said:
Jarius Wright
does anyone have a snap count of the Minnesota wide receivers how often was Wright on the field compared to Jennings and Patterson
think wright played about half the game and the other 2 were in there 90+%, but I'd have to look it up.

Wright - 42 snaps

Patterson - 70

Jennings - 75

out of 79, so KAL was pretty much right on.

He has scorned us all so many times but he might be different this year. Kenny Britt? He looked good in week 3 before the buy.

No doubt he has the talent and he's finally

Healthy. Flying way under the radar rt now. And a great matchup vs the Eagles.

I'm contemplating dropping hunter for him. Ironically.

He has scorned us all so many times but he might be different this year. Kenny Britt? He looked good in week 3 before the buy.

No doubt he has the talent and he's finally

Healthy. Flying way under the radar rt now. And a great matchup vs the Eagles.

I'm contemplating dropping hunter for him. Ironically.
He was targeted more than Quick (7:4) and even got a rushing attempt in week 3 and looked very good. In the first quarter, Davis missed him wide open deep which would have easily gone for a TD. If he hits him, were looking at a 6/130/1 stat line and everyone would be touting him as a no-brainer pick up. In the 2nd quarter, Britt broke free and barely missed a 50 yard deep pass as well. On his 38 yard catch, he adjusted to the ball perfectly. I'm picking up Britt where available with Davis under center. I think STL is going to make a concerted effort to get him more involved moving forward.

Britt has burned me so many times... this year included... i cant imagine pulling the trigger again.

But lord help me i do feel the urge.

haterade said:

Buy buy buy
haterade said:

Buy buy buy
One of the bottom 5 wr's in football. What it really proves is how bad Dobson and Thompkins are.

Davonte Adams & Marvin Jones. Even if it's not this week or next, both will be solid producers for ROS & playoffs. (Adams may very well break out tomorrow night)

Users who are viewing this thread