What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Tyler Boyd, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Tyler Boyd secured 2-of-3 targets for 38 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' second preseason game Thursday night.
Boyd has shown legitimate big-play skills through two exhibition affairs, winning a go ball for 40 yards in the opener and making a diving catch for 26 yards down the sideline on Thursday night. He added a touchdown from 12 yards out delivered by A.J. McCarron. With Brandon LaFell nursing a hand injury and Tyler Eifert an ankle, Boyd is ticketed for a significant Week 1 role.

Aug 18 - 10:44 PM

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson said second-rounder Tyler Boyd is the "unquestioned leader in the clubhouse" in the battle for the No. 2 receiver job.
This statement comes just a day after The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr. speculated the Bengals plan to ease Boyd into action. The primary takeaway here is this situation remains as fluid as any in the league. If Brandon LaFell (hand) can prove his health and effectiveness, he will likely open the season as the starter opposite A.J. Green with Boyd working from the slot. If LaFell struggles, Boyd should get his shot.

Source: bengals.com 
Aug 23 - 10:53 AM

The Cincinnati Enquirer projects Bengals second-round pick Tyler Boyd to catch 55 passes for 800 yards with 5-7 touchdowns as a rookie.
The Enquirer's Paul Dehner acknowledges Boyd's role has increased with Brandon LaFell battling a hand injury and largely disappointing in camp. Boyd should also see an early-season bump in production if Tyler Eifert (ankle) misses time. Boyd is on the late-round radar as a WR5/6 pick in 12-team fantasy drafts.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer 
Aug 26 - 1:05 PM

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr. expects sophomore Tyler Boyd to be the Bengals' second most productive wide receiver.

With No. 9 overall pick John Ross in a limited role to start the season, Dehner thinks Brandon LaFell will get the official No. 2 designation, but he expects Boyd to be more productive. Ross' role is expected to grow as the season goes on, however, and A.J. Green and Tyler Eifert should dominate targets as long as they are healthy. Despite the positive news, Boyd is not a fantasy option in standard-sized leagues.

Source: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Tyler Boyd was inactive for Week 2 due to a tight hamstring.

It was initially declared Boyd was a healthy scratch for Thursday night's eventual loss to the Texans, but RapSheet says the tight hammy "came real late in the process," suggesting Boyd may have pulled it in warmups. We doubt he suddenly went from playing nearly 70% of the Week 1 snaps to scratched, even with John Ross debuting. Boyd has 10 days to get ready for Week 3.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Coach Marvin Lewis said Tyler Boyd's deactivation for Week 2 wasn't injury-related.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Boyd had hamstring tightness, but it appears RapSheet got bad info or made the report up out of thin air. Lewis said numerous times Boyd wasn't hurt, which speaks volumes that he wasn't willing to make up an injury to cover for Boyd. The 2016 second-rounder has made little impact in the NFL and could be getting phased out altogether.

Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter 

Sep 15 - 10:35 AM

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website expects WR Tyler Boyd to man the slot for Cincinnati and "also get some looks on the outside."

Boyd missed time last season with a sprained MCL and also was a healthy scratch at times, as Hobson notes the receiver and the coaches didn't completely see eye to eye. Hobson anticipates Boyd being a beneficiary of new full-time OC Bill Lazor's offense and expects the third-year wideout to have a "solid year." The Bengals need some of their young receivers to step up. 

May 26 - 11:05 AM

Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official website expects WR Tyler Boyd to man the slot for Cincinnati and "also get some looks on the outside."

Boyd missed time last season with a sprained MCL and also was a healthy scratch at times, as Hobson notes the receiver and the coaches didn't completely see eye to eye. Hobson anticipates Boyd being a beneficiary of new full-time OC Bill Lazor's offense and expects the third-year wideout to have a "solid year." The Bengals need some of their young receivers to step up. 

May 26 - 11:05 AM

Even if Tyler Boyd steps up, I don't think there will be enough targets for him to become fantasy relevant in this offense with Dalton under center.

I really want to like this guy as a sleeper and I really want to stash him until Lewis is gone, but I just can't do it for the #2 at best WR in CIN for as long as Lewis might hang on.  I had him pretty high on my list going into the draft but once he went to CIN he was dead to me.

Lewis fumes, Boyd soars and other observations from Bengals Training Camp Day 6

Excerpt:

TD for TB

Tyler Boyd had the play of the day and, arguably, the play of camp.

During an 11-on-11 drill in the red zone with 20 minutes left in what had been a lethargic practice, Boyd out-jumped perfectly position cornerback Darqueze Dennard to snag a touchdown from Andy Dalton. The play catch elicited a big reaction from the crowd as well as Boyd’s teammates, many of whom raced toward the end zone to congratulate him.

“Those type of plays right there get the whole practice, the whole team, coaches and everybody pumped,” Boyd said. “That’s just a spark. Somebody has to set the tone, and today it was me.”

Actually, Boyd has been setting a tone since camp began. No one has been more impressive through the first week. He caught another touchdown earlier in practice between three defenders, safeties Shawn Williams, George Iloka and Dennard.

“I just want to come out each and every day and showcase my abilities and the let coaches and everybody know that I’m ready to go, I’m locked in and I’m trying to make big plays.”

I'm seeing dynasty owners giving up on Boyd when making roster cuts the preseason.  I am snapping him up for free. 

He is listed as the starter across from Green on the depth chart. Boyd is only 23 years old and has a decent draft pedigree in the 2nd round. 

I'm not sure why owners who believed in him and drafted him reasonably high in dynasty drafts are cutting bait now that he has finally been given an opportunity to start in what could be a much improved offense. 

I'm seeing dynasty owners giving up on Boyd when making roster cuts the preseason.  I am snapping him up for free. 

He is listed as the starter across from Green on the depth chart. Boyd is only 23 years old and has a decent draft pedigree in the 2nd round. 

I'm not sure why owners who believed in him and drafted him reasonably high in dynasty drafts are cutting bait now that he has finally been given an opportunity to start in what could be a much improved offense. 
Because we're not confident that Andy Dalton can have 2 good WRs with AJ Green and Mixon taking targets. I drafted Boyd when he came out, but I dropped him last year for Keelan Cole. No regrets. 

Boyd could be viewed as a breakout candidate, but it is hard to get too excited about him based upon his body of work thus far.  Half of Boyd's production last season came in the final two contests, so perhaps there is reason for some optimism.  AJ Green will command his usual share of targets, John Ross is a popular candidate to emerge as a deep threat, Tyler Eifert is reportedly healthy again (for how long?) and Mixon and Gio will continue to be involved in the passing game, but Boyd has some potential value as the team's primary slot receiver.  I was never especially high on Boyd as a fantasy asset, despite his college production and second-round draft status, and following two nondescript seasons, color me unimpressed still.  As an essentially free addition to a very deep dynasty roster, I could be tempted to stash him short-term, but I am generally content rather to allow my opponents to tie up a precious developmental roster spot on Boyd instead.

Because we're not confident that Andy Dalton can have 2 good WRs with AJ Green and Mixon taking targets. I drafted Boyd when he came out, but I dropped him last year for Keelan Cole. No regrets. 
That was probably the right move, but isn't Boyd pretty much this year's Cole at this point?  Talent and youth meets opportunity but the situation could be better...  Bortles isn't the type of QB to support a bunch of fantasy relevant targets either.

Boyd could be viewed as a breakout candidate, but it is hard to get too excited about him based upon his body of work thus far.  Half of Boyd's production last season came in the final two contests, so perhaps there is reason for some optimism.  AJ Green will command his usual share of targets, John Ross is a popular candidate to emerge as a deep threat, Tyler Eifert is reportedly healthy again (for how long?) and Mixon and Gio will continue to be involved in the passing game, but Boyd has some potential value as the team's primary slot receiver.  I was never especially high on Boyd as a fantasy asset, despite his college production and second-round draft status, and following two nondescript seasons, color me unimpressed still.  As an essentially free addition to a very deep dynasty roster, I could be tempted to stash him short-term, but I am generally content rather to allow my opponents to tie up a precious developmental roster spot on Boyd instead.
I mostly agree with this - I was never that big on him either, but now that his price is free and he's listed as the starting WR across from Green (not even the slot) on the team's official depth chart.  The Bengals official depth chart is pretty elusive though, please correct me if Ross passed Boyd on a later version.

I'm not really sure how John Ross, who has also shown nothing despite the draft capital and is only 2 weeks younger than Boyd, is that popular of a breakout candidate in PPR.  Maybe my skepticism of Ross is part of why I like Boyd as a flier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really sure how John Ross, who has also shown nothing despite the draft capital and is only 2 weeks younger than Boyd, is that popular of a breakout candidate in PPR.  Maybe my skepticism of Ross is part of why I like Boyd as a flier.
Neither of them have shown anything. But Ross has some talent though, evident by his making plays in pre-season/camp in addition to draft capital. Boyd is either replacement level or JAG - a younger version of Brandon LaFell.

I don't know how anyone can get excited about anyone not named AJG on a passing offense the size of CIN.  They just don't throw often enough for there to be a big enough share.  If you're looking for a solid WR2/3 flex guy ok, but there are dozens of those on the wire or available cheap from a rebuilding owner at any time.

Dalton's only had two seasons over 3700 yards, and only two seasons over 25 TD's.  2013 was his "monster" year with 4200/33 but he also threw 20 INT's and Marvin responded the following year with 481 pass attempts for 3400 and 19 TD's. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_dalton#Statistics

Boyd looked pretty good last night.

Ross looks mostly invisible, and Mixon is not getting much passing game usage.  Eifert didn't look like anything special either...  

Boyd might be the number 2 option in this passing game. 

Boyd looked pretty good last night.

Ross looks mostly invisible, and Mixon is not getting much passing game usage.  Eifert didn't look like anything special either...  

Boyd might be the number 2 option in this passing game. 
Boyd definitely looked good yesterday.  I picked him up in one league on Tuesday and he's on my bench now so I like that part.  I wouldn't read too much into the EIfert thing, he's on a snap count, less chances to be impactful.  The question will be if that continues or not.  He seems like a solid depth guy at least, possible useful in a flex right now.  

This could be a career year for Dalton with Boyd emerging.  AJG is balling.  The Oline looks good.  Mixon in the backfield.  Bernard is reliable on 3rd downs.  And if Ross comes around they are going to score a ton of points.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be a career year for Dalton with Boyd emerging.  AJG is balling.  The Oline looks good.  Mixon in the backfield.  Bernard is reliable on 3rd downs.  And if Ross comes around they are going to score a ton of points.
Mixon is vastly overrated. 

I finally gave up and cut Boyd this week.  So naturally he finally puts in a first-ever performance implying that he is cemented into the WR2 spot in Cincy.  

I will probably try to get him back...seems a worthy flyer going forward, at least into bye week season.

This guy is looking good so far this year. May be in for even more targets depending on Green’s status.

I finally gave up and cut Boyd this week.  So naturally he finally puts in a first-ever performance implying that he is cemented into the WR2 spot in Cincy.  

I will probably try to get him back...seems a worthy flyer going forward, at least into bye week season.
He's more than a flyer at this point.

We are definitely witnessing a 3rd year breakout of  very good player...his QB clearly loves and trusts him.  He's gonna be great all year.  On the flip side I was dead wrong about John Ross.  He is quickly moving towards bust status.  He's not reliable, drops too many balls, gives up on routes, and he seems like a headcase, in that he gets down on himself and loses confidence VERY quickly and easily when things don't go his way.  Boyd has effectively ended the WR2 debate for the bengals.  

Yeah, I'd go ahead and get him back. 

You guys realize you are quoting a post from last week don't you?

I did in fact retrieve him during waivers and he's in my lineup this week.

A lot of this production did come after AJ went out with injury. Still, he's proving himself trustworthy to Dalton.

Back to back big games.  

Starting him with confidence moving forward.
Me2. Had this guy his rookie season and was always feeling he was close. Not sure what happened last year, or this year to make such big changes but happy.

Not to rain on anyone's AJ Green's injury parade but this guy is a slot dude not a number one type so I don't think actually AJ Green being hurt helps him and might actually hurt him. A lot of guys produce as the alternate receiver but not as the number one and that was this guy's MO in his draft profile.

I'm looking at cutting bait with Larry Fitz and picking up Tyler Boyd. Crazy or Shark move?

Short bench - no room for Fitz

Team Smokin' said:
I'm looking at cutting bait with Larry Fitz and picking up Tyler Boyd. Crazy or Shark move?

Short bench - no room for Fitz
I'm waiting of Fitz with a new QB but your thought it not crazy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread