What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sleepers for week 7 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
One of the things I try(ripped this off Wannabee) and look at for sleeper WRs each week is actually fairly simple. I try and find teams that give away points to the WR2 and WR3 types for the opposing teams and see if we can find some actual sleepers. Everyone has an idea of what a sleeper is but I find the definition is a little different to everyone(especially those that write weekly reports). So I try and focus on this and see if we have any hits this week. Some may even be on your WW but probably more likely in those local beer draft leagues you all clean up in every year.

Let's look at Houston for a minute. Looks like almost every week they give up a lot even after the WR1 from the other team gets theirs. I imagine they have a fairly weak secondry especially after their CB1 is locked up in coverage.

WK1: Chansi Stuckey 4/64/TD...and a rookie throwing the ball.

WK2: The Titans couldn't exploit them passing the ball, imagine that.

WK3: T.Holt 3/57 and he's dead accoring to this board.

WK4: Oakland couldn't really capitilize, imagine that.

WK5: They gave up 16/180+ yds to Boldin and the rest of the AZ WRs after Fitz got his 80 and 2 TDs

WK6: 11/117/TD to the secondary WRs in Cinci.

I think you can see that with the right match up you can really exploit these guys with not just the luxury WR1 you got early in the draft but possibly even some WW pick up that might be around. Now I understand Crabtree is gone in every dynasty league but he is floating around in several redraft leagues where owners gave up once he was unsigned.

Michael Crabtree: He is getting the start and while Shaun Hill has not been close to anything he was last year, there still is potential here. Is Crabtree the WR1? Even if he is he hasn't caught a pass yet and I imagine whoever is matched up against the Houston supporting cast in that secondary is likely to be open a lot. Is that Josh Morgan, Isaac Bruce, Michael Crabtree? I don't have the exact answer but pay attention to who is starting this weekend.

Let's look for some others.

Lance Moore: This might not seem like a big find to most of you but this guy was getting cut left and right several weeks ago, hopefully a few sharks grabbed him before he had a TD last week but I found him again on the WW in a few leagues this week so even if you scooped him up he might not be an automatic start.

Miami has given up some big chunks to WR2 and WR3 types all season. Jenkins had 4/40, Garcon 48/TD, SD got 6/105 out of Floyd and Naanee, Buff got 60/TD, Clowney and Edwards had 9/138/TD. I believe Moore is a better option than Henderson even is Devry takes a the 1st souple snaps. Robert Meachem also is an interesting play but he simply does not get enough targets to rely upon.

Michael Clayton would be a good option but unfortunately the QB situation in TB is the stink, and MC is pretty stinky too but NE has allowed to a few of the better teams some real yds from the secondary WRs. 8/70 to ATL, 9/76 to Balt, 16/150 to Denver...keep an eye on match ups against NE but TB is not good enough to really exploit the situation.

Sidney Rice: Rather than chim in and tell me everyone is picking him, allow me to give you some reasons why he is a good play and you don't sit him for other choices. The STeelers have been pretty giving this year for the non WR1 on opposing teams.

WK1: Kenny Britt 4/85

WK2: Johnny Knox 6/70/TD

WK3: Caldwell and Coles=11/86/TD

WK4: Chambers 4/39/TD

WK5: Dennis Northcutt 5/70/TD

I believe Rice has a good chance to do well this weekend but I am not thrilled with the match up being in Pitt. There are some dangers here but this could turn a profit for owners.

What are you looking at for possible sleepers this week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Malcolm Floyd.

Chambers is done and Floyd is getting more involved. The Chargers should have no trouble throwing the ball on the Chiefs. Floyd also did very well against KC last season. I think he's a WR4 with WR3 upside this week.

Malcolm Floyd.Chambers is done and Floyd is getting more involved. The Chargers should have no trouble throwing the ball on the Chiefs. Floyd also did very well against KC last season. I think he's a WR4 with WR3 upside this week.
Chiefs were another team I thought could be exploited however...you are going to be hard pressed to find a real WR2 that took him to the cleaners. Yes Miles Austin had a great day but the WR1 went out...was Crayton the number 2...that would be 4/40 basically. Last week they bottled up Washington, who hasn't right? Nicks and Manningham had almost 100 yds and a TD.Its not a bad choice but is Chambers done? Does he still line up as the starter? I'm asking, I don't even really know.

I like Moore a lot, esp. in PPR.

Potentially tough Miami D at home, causing the Saints to go to quick possession hits.

Moore was great last week and Brees came right out the gate looking for him.

Malcolm Floyd.Chambers is done and Floyd is getting more involved. The Chargers should have no trouble throwing the ball on the Chiefs. Floyd also did very well against KC last season. I think he's a WR4 with WR3 upside this week.
The play might be Naanee instead.

I don't see it. He's more of a slot guy. Floyd is getting more involved on the outside and I really think last week was a harbinger of things to come. Yes MOP Chambers is done. I've long been a fan of his dating back to his college days at Wisconsin (I'm a UW alum) but he has nothing left anymore. I'm surprised it's taken the Chargers this long to start going more to Floyd. After how good he looked last week, I think we'll see even more from him going forward.

I don't see it. He's more of a slot guy. Floyd is getting more involved on the outside and I really think last week was a harbinger of things to come. Yes MOP Chambers is done. I've long been a fan of his dating back to his college days at Wisconsin (I'm a UW alum) but he has nothing left anymore. I'm surprised it's taken the Chargers this long to start going more to Floyd. After how good he looked last week, I think we'll see even more from him going forward.
Naanee is 6-2, 220, he's got plenty of size, why do you think his upside is as a slot guy?

Naanee is 6-2, 220, he's got plenty of size, why do you think his upside is as a slot guy?
Because I think Jackson and Floyd are more prototypical outside receivers so in this offense I think Naanee projects to be a slot guy. Jackson's a stud and I think Floyd is a real talent as well. I like him a lot so I admit I'm biased in his favor. But I still think what we saw last week is a sign of things to come.

anyone think josh morgan might surprise a few people that gave up on him due to crabtree getting the start? you'd have to think morgan still gets a bunch of snaps, has something to prove & is playing houston.

anyone think josh morgan might surprise a few people that gave up on him due to crabtree getting the start? you'd have to think morgan still gets a bunch of snaps, has something to prove & is playing houston.
Did you catch the 1st 1/3 of the OP? I definitely think someone in SF is going to do well this weekend, or at least has a higher percentage of scoring opps than some other plays this weekend.

Did you catch the 1st 1/3 of the OP? I definitely think someone in SF is going to do well this weekend, or at least has a higher percentage of scoring opps than some other plays this weekend.
Oops, saw you lead in with Crabtree and scanned down to the next part. I thought naming Crabtree the starter was kind of odd considering the circumstances. Maybe an act of good faith on the part of the 49ers. Or maybe they really haven't been happy with Morgan. Either way, I think he gets on the field enough to warrant a spot start.

Andre Caldwell
I'm trying to decide between Caldwell and James Jones.Seems like the Bears allow WR1's to run wild but do a pretty good job of shutting down WR2's and WR3's so I'm a bit skeptical about Caldwell.Week 1: Jennings 106/1 and Driver 39/0Week 2: Holmes 83/0 and 57/0Week 3: Housh 35/0 and Burleson 109/0Week 4: Johnson 133/0 and B. Johnson 27/0Week 6: White 56/1 and Jenkins 15/0Jones on the other hand, might be in for his usual 3 reception 50-60 yards and a TD performance especially with Nelson out and the Browns horrid secondary.

Go Caldwell over James Jones. Jones is boom/bust with Jennings and Driver in front of him (and possibly even Finley). Caldwell will get his targets no matter what. I like to go with the steady ppr chain mover with my 3rd WR and not the boom/bust guy.

Because I think Jackson and Floyd are more prototypical outside receivers so in this offense I think Naanee projects to be a slot guy. Jackson's a stud and I think Floyd is a real talent as well. I like him a lot so I admit I'm biased in his favor. But I still think what we saw last week is a sign of things to come.
Naanee has more speed than Floyd, so why is he more suited for the slot? Throw in that Naanee has size and hands to go along with his speed, he has a lot more upside than a WR that will be 29 years old by the time the 2010 season starts and has durability issues.I will say that Floyd is a nice red zone target and he has good hands.

One of the things I try(ripped this off Wannabee) and look at for sleeper WRs each week is actually fairly simple. I try and find teams that give away points to the WR2 and WR3 types for the opposing teams and see if we can find some actual sleepers. Everyone has an idea of what a sleeper is but I find the definition is a little different to everyone(especially those that write weekly reports). So I try and focus on this and see if we have any hits this week. Some may even be on your WW but probably more likely in those local beer draft leagues you all clean up in every year.Let's look at Houston for a minute. Looks like almost every week they give up a lot even after the WR1 from the other team gets theirs. I imagine they have a fairly weak secondry especially after their CB1 is locked up in coverage.WK1: Chansi Stuckey 4/64/TD...and a rookie throwing the ball.WK2: The Titans couldn't exploit them passing the ball, imagine that.WK3: T.Holt 3/57 and he's dead accoring to this board.WK4: Oakland couldn't really capitilize, imagine that. WK5: They gave up 16/180+ yds to Boldin and the rest of the AZ WRs after Fitz got his 80 and 2 TDsWK6: 11/117/TD to the secondary WRs in Cinci. I think you can see that with the right match up you can really exploit these guys with not just the luxury WR1 you got early in the draft but possibly even some WW pick up that might be around. Now I understand Crabtree is gone in every dynasty league but he is floating around in several redraft leagues where owners gave up once he was unsigned. Michael Crabtree: He is getting the start and while Shaun Hill has not been close to anything he was last year, there still is potential here. Is Crabtree the WR1? Even if he is he hasn't caught a pass yet and I imagine whoever is matched up against the Houston supporting cast in that secondary is likely to be open a lot. Is that Josh Morgan, Isaac Bruce, Michael Crabtree? I don't have the exact answer but pay attention to who is starting this weekend.
I agree, and have stated since he signed, that I think Crabtree will get a TD v. Houston this week.

Is Breaston a sleeper?If so, he's my sleeper of the week.
I think it's impossible to call a WR who had 1000 yards receiving last year a sleeper..............maybe a bench player for most weeks if he is your WR4 but he does play in all the Cardinals three wide receiver sets (which there are too many of)The sleeper for this week would be Jerheme Urban - if Boldin can't go (right now a GTD) then Urban would replace Breaston as the WR3 for Arizona

Naanee has more speed than Floyd, so why is he more suited for the slot? Throw in that Naanee has size and hands to go along with his speed, he has a lot more upside than a WR that will be 29 years old by the time the 2010 season starts and has durability issues.

I will say that Floyd is a nice red zone target and he has good hands.
The question isnt whether Nanee is more suited for the slot. That is where SD chooses to play him. Floyd is an outside receiver and redzone threat so he has a much better chance to score than Nanee which makes him a better play.

Naanee has more speed than Floyd, so why is he more suited for the slot? Throw in that Naanee has size and hands to go along with his speed, he has a lot more upside than a WR that will be 29 years old by the time the 2010 season starts and has durability issues.

I will say that Floyd is a nice red zone target and he has good hands.
The question isnt whether Nanee is more suited for the slot. That is where SD chooses to play him. Floyd is an outside receiver and redzone threat so he has a much better chance to score than Nanee which makes him a better play.
Whether that's true or not, I think most of us knows which WR has the most upside, and he won't be 29 next season, and he's not a lumbering WR.

Johnny Knox - the Bengals have been giving up big play to WR's so far in '09.
Have they been giving up to secondary WRs? That was the central theme of this thread...don't remmeber Cinci sticking out as a team to exploit.
Cincy is the 28th ranked passing defense and Leon Hall has done everything but shutdown every wide receiver he's lined up against with the exception of Andre Johnson. That means other wide receivers other than the #1 are producing.I like the Knox call as Cutler should abuse the focus on the #1 (which I assume would be Hester).

I just wrote something up on the Bengals' pass defense on my blog (posted here) a short time ago today after thinking the same as you MoP. Reading the above post and looking at the match-ups I did a little research. It turned out that the 2nd and 3rd options perform pretty well against the Bengals.

Patoons said:
Ministry of Pain said:
Penguin said:
Johnny Knox - the Bengals have been giving up big play to WR's so far in '09.
Have they been giving up to secondary WRs? That was the central theme of this thread...don't remmeber Cinci sticking out as a team to exploit.
Cincy is the 28th ranked passing defense and Leon Hall has done everything but shutdown every wide receiver he's lined up against with the exception of Andre Johnson. That means other wide receivers other than the #1 are producing.
looks like 96 of johnson's 135 yds came against other defenders.edit:I think hester and hall play majority of snaps on opposite sides of the field.

Users who are viewing this thread