What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (2 Viewers)

Robert Woods getting all the love tonight. Not watching the game but really frustrating to see the stat ticker.
Sammy flat dropped two passes also. One of them got on him quickly as he turned around, so it's hard to be too critical on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like Watkins started breaking out earlier in the season, teams took notice started rolling coverage over to him, and he's not a transcendent athlete that you can just throw the ball up to and let him go get it so he's struggling beating that extra attention. He's not always open like Gordon, Jeffery, and maybe even Evans.

He still has elite acceleration, good hands, and runs good routes. He's going to be a good WR on a low volume passing attack with no QB. If he played with Rodgers he'd be a top 10 WR in the league.

Wow, playing against Watkins tonight and the other guy only needed like 9 points. I was shocked to see he didn't get it. Did he get hurt or was it game flow?

Milkman nice do you see you back.

You don't watch many Bills games do you? Watkins is OPEN a lot and often times it looks effortless.

After week 8 when Evans was putting up modest numbers you were not in here spouting this.

Also, Gordon ended his rookie year with 50 receptions for 805 yards and 5 td's.

Jeffery ended his rookie year with 24 catches for 367 yards and 3 td's.

Watkins with 5 games left has 48 receptions for 584 yards and 5 td's. Watkins already has surpassed Jeffery's rookie year, and he will pass Gordon's as well. Nice bait though.

Evans is starting to see more attention as well. Expect his numbers to come back to earth too. Evans is always open though. Watkins is not. Watkins is still going to be good but he needs a good QB more than Evans.

Negative Player overall on PFF. Thumbs up. I guess you guys are right he's always open.
You are changing your argument to going with negative player overall from PFF stats. How was Evans overall PFF the first 8 weeks? Or Gordon's and Jeffery's PFF their rookie years?

I am going to guess you are not watching many Bills games. Watkins is open often for those that are watching the games.

Bills are absolutely terrible at utilizing him. He made 57% of his catches behind the LOS in college. I've seen him targeted there a grand total of 0 times in the 5 Bills games I've watched this year.

I said it when he was drafted and I'll repeat it now, Buffalo was maybe the worst possible place for Watkins to land. This is a team that wants to be the Seahawks or the Chiefs, feature the run game with a conservative pass offense that wins on the strength of it defense. TB and NYG and even Carolina have to force the ball to their talented young WRs because they have no other options.

Orton is never going to force the ball to Watkins because his main job is to not turn the ball over. Orton is going to take the open option and only has 3 ints on the year because of it.

It's sad when a conservative offensive system stifles an elite talent. It's like the old joke, the only person who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 points was Dean Smith.

Milkman nice do you see you back.

You don't watch many Bills games do you? Watkins is OPEN a lot and often times it looks effortless.

After week 8 when Evans was putting up modest numbers you were not in here spouting this.

Also, Gordon ended his rookie year with 50 receptions for 805 yards and 5 td's.

Jeffery ended his rookie year with 24 catches for 367 yards and 3 td's.

Watkins with 5 games left has 48 receptions for 584 yards and 5 td's. Watkins already has surpassed Jeffery's rookie year, and he will pass Gordon's as well. Nice bait though.
Not a fair comparison. Gordon was a supplemental pick and was not groomed to be the WR1 from day one like Sammy/Kelvin, etc. Little was the starter at the beginning of the season and not until well into the season did Gordon take over that role. It's like trying to compare Martavis Bryant to Sammy Watkins and bragging how Sammy has more total yards (he has less TDs). Yeah Sammy has more yards, but Bryant missed the first 6 games of the season.

Wise Old Owl said:
I said it when he was drafted and I'll repeat it now, Buffalo was maybe the worst possible place for Watkins to land. This is a team that wants to be the Seahawks or the Chiefs, feature the run game with a conservative pass offense that wins on the strength of it defense. TB and NYG and even Carolina have to force the ball to their talented young WRs because they have no other options.

Orton is never going to force the ball to Watkins because his main job is to not turn the ball over. Orton is going to take the open option and only has 3 ints on the year because of it.
Get open more?

Wise Old Owl said:

Get open more?
Maybe I should have said easier option, look at Evans and Beckham, their QBs are just putting it out there and hoping they win it. Cam is forcing the ball to Benjamin in double coverage.

Meanwhile Orton checks down to Fjax or finds Hogan or Woods rather than try to force a big play.

Wise Old Owl said:

Get open more?
Maybe I should have said easier option, look at Evans and Beckham, their QBs are just putting it out there and hoping they win it. Cam is forcing the ball to Benjamin in double coverage.
How is that working out for the Buccs, Giants, and Panthers?

First off Watkins has had a good rookie year thus far even though it has been frustrating watching Bills game and seeing missed opportunities. The coaching staff needs to utilize Watkins more consistently each week. There have been times that Watkins does not start seeing targets till into the second half.

Watkins is going to be a great one, and he will thrive in Buffalo. Even with Orton as a stop gap at QB, Watkins will be fine, but it would be nice to see the Bills think of a QB of the future.

Get open more?
My point wasn't that the Bills should force it to Watkins they are winning doing what they are doing.

Get open more?
My point wasn't that the Bills should force it to Watkins they are winning doing what they are doing.
True.

They should be doing a bit more of that. That is, designing plays for him. They had one swing/screen to him this past game. They need a few more of those per game...

Anyone think he's hitting the rookie wall? Is that even still a thing?

I'd be inclined to chalk it up to Orton, but Woods seems to be doing OK.

He's got 10, 7, 5, and 9 targets in the last 4 games, 33 total.

For a whopping 13-105-0.

The Bills are 2-2 in those games (losing to KC/Miami and beating NYJ/Cle).

He was shadowed by Haden last game, and only caught 3 passes on 9 targets.

He's a rookie WR, all the talent in the world - but still a rookie.

Definitely games there where he underperformed, but he's had to face some tough passing defenses in KC, Miami (Grimes), and Cleveland (Haden).

To me it shows he can't beat 1 on 1 coverage by top DBs - because he got 10, 7 and 9 targets in the games mentioned above, respectively.

The 5 targets came against the Jets, who have the worst pass defense of the bunch - starting walk on CBs essentially.

Woods has really picked up the slack, and is the more reliable WR in reality and in fantasy.

Watkins reminds me a lot of Torrey Smith, he's going to have big games... but then he's going to disappear because he can't consistently beat the top corners/coverage.

Maybe he improves moving forward, but I'd temper expectations. The great/elite WRs find a way, and don't use their QB as an excuse.

# of targets in brackets

Josh Gordon (29 - 2 games), DeAndre Hopkins (90), Mike Evans(91), Kelvin Benjamin(110), and Anquan Boldin (100) have all had successful years with poor QB play.

While Watkins numbers aren't bad, he has received 98 targets - and its defintely arguable that his QB isn't any better or worse than the above wrs.

He averages >2ppg less (in ppr) than the above WRs.

His running mate, Robert Woods has 82 targets... 2 less catches (49)... 2 less TDs, and 140 less yards.

Last 4 weeks he's scored less than 15 points total. Uggghhh

Is this the week where the Bills are forced to throw though?

It's either him or Jordan Matthews.

Anyone starting him this week confidence? Thoughts?

No excuses. Sammy flat out looks invisible out there. Injuries, quarterback play, and match ups, should all be factored in but most of it falls on him. He is not performing up to standard. Hopefully he is learning.

Last 4 weeks he's scored less than 15 points total. Uggghhh

Is this the week where the Bills are forced to throw though?

It's either him or Jordan Matthews.

Anyone starting him this week confidence? Thoughts?
It doesn't matter if they are forced to throw. Even when they are Orton then becomes Captain Checkdown.The last time they were forced to throw late was against the Dolphins and it seems like almost all the passes late went to Brown and Dixon.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Fred Jackson lead the team in receptions this week.

Hate to say it again, but... the guy is looking small and playing small.
Can you elaborate on this playing small thing. Watkins was going off and playing so well was he playing small then? This fascination with WR's having to be big is just not true. The best WR in the league right now is 5'10 Antonio Brown. Emmanuel Sanders at 5'10 looks unrecoverable this year. ODB at 5'11 is doing ok. What about that TY Hilton guy at 5'9 man if only he was taller. Golden Tate at 5'10 is such a midget and is struggling. Edelman is 5'10 and is a pos.

I want you to look at that above list and then notice the trend. Those are all sub 6 feet guys, but look at the qb's: Big Ben, Manning, Luck, Stafford, Manning, Brady. Then I want you to look at the issue with Sammy Watkins who is also a rookie and tell me the problem.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:
Can you elaborate on this playing small thing. Watkins was going off and playing so well was he playing small then? This fascination with WR's having to be big is just not true. The best WR in the league right now is 5'10 Antonio Brown. Emmanuel Sanders at 5'10 looks unrecoverable this year. ODB at 5'11 is doing ok. What about that TY Hilton guy at 5'9 man if only he was taller. Golden Tate at 5'10 is such a midget and is struggling. Edelman is 5'10 and is a pos.

I want you to look at that above list and then notice the trend. Those are all sub 6 feet guys, but look at the qb's: Big Ben, Manning, Luck, Stafford, Manning, Brady. Then I want you to look at the issue with Sammy Watkins who is also a rookie and tell me the problem.
Being a small WR is/was not a common trait for elite WR but these new rules are making it easier to be successful as a smaller receiver. So it might not be as big of a deal now. There is little doubt average size for an elite WR was trending up. Always exceptions but that trend was there.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:

Not much to elaborate on. When I watch the guy he still looks small in presence and play.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:

Not much to elaborate on. When I watch the guy he still looks small in presence and play.
What do you see when you watch the others mentioned?

Also, how can you say small in presence? Multiple times defenses have shadowed him with their #1 CB. That doesn't exactly happen all the time.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
matuski said:

What do you see when you watch the others mentioned?

Also, how can you say small in presence? Multiple times defenses have shadowed him with their #1 CB. That doesn't exactly happen all the time.
Same thing you do, a bigger presence and impact on the field.

Completely confused on the last statement. #1 CBs tend to be on #1 WRs.. pretty much all the time (as often as they can)?

Users who are viewing this thread