What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sammy Watkins, BAL (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Speaking after Thursday's practice, Bills coach Doug Marrone called Sammy Watkins (groin) day to day.

Marrone would rather poke out his own eye than give away injury information, so it shouldn't be considered a concerning statement. Most reports have suggested that Watkins will be good to go against the Chiefs. Just don't be surprised if his availability comes down to a game-time decision. Watkins' status will be updated no later than Friday afternoon.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

Nov 6 - 2:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Bills coach Doug Marrone sounded pessimistic on Friday when asked about Sammy Watkins (questionable, groin).
Keep in mind Marrone may just be trying to play head games, but the comments are still notable. Specifically, reporters asked Marrone if Watkins would be able to take part in Saturday's walkthrough. "No, I don't think it is until the trainers tell me that he can go," said Marrone. "The guy can't practice." Fantasy owners of Watkins need to have a pivot ready. We suspect Robert Woods would lead the Bills in targets if Watkins didn't play, but Mike Williams would be a better bet to score a touchdown.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Nov 7 - 2:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins says he "doesn't know the results" of his MRI, and referred to his groin injury as "nagging."

He's shaping up as a full-blown game-time decision for Sunday's bout with Kansas City. If Watkins can't go, Buffalo would likely turn to a three-receiver set of Mike Williams and Robert Woods with Chris Hogan in the slot. "That's the coach's decision about whether I should play," Watkins said on Friday. "It's a long season so I'm really clueless right now. I don't know."

Source: Mike Rodak on Twitter
Nov 7 - 1:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins (groin) said he "could do everything" in Sunday's loss to the Chiefs.

After tweaking his troublesome groin in practice Wednesday, Watkins came down to a true game-time call. He got the green light and played on 70-of-75 snaps, but had just 4-27-0 on 10 targets. "The coaches did an evaluation, and it was their call ... I've just got to do better with my route running and getting open," Watkins said. Now we have another shaky situation as the Bills face Brent Grimes and the Dolphins on Thursday night.

Source: Buffalo News
Nov 10 - 10:38 AM

FWIW, I thought he looked pretty gimpy yesterday. He had a crossing route in the second half where he caught it and has, in the past, turned on the jets to get upfield past the DB for a big gain. He looked to hesitate to see if he could cut/juke, and then just ran to the sideline and the defender knocked him out of bounds. It wasn't the same player from the past 3-4 weeks.

Hope he gets healthy soon....the Bills upcoming schedule is murderer's row.

Rotoworld:

Sammy Watkins - WR - Bills

Brent Grimes is expected to shadow Sammy Watkins Thursday night.

Watkins' groin does not appear to be an issue after he played on 93 percent of the snaps Sunday and practiced in full this week. However, the presence of Grimes knocks Watkins down to more of a WR2/3 this week. The good news is that when these teams matched up in Week 2, Watkins went 8-117-1 even though E.J. Manuel was at quarterback (as pointed out in Evan Silva's Matchup column).

Related: Brent Grimes

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter

Nov 13 - 10:20 AM

Rotoworld:

Watkins' groin does not appear to be an issue after he played on 93 percent of the snaps Sunday and practiced in full this week. However, the presence of Grimes knocks Watkins down to more of a WR2/3 this week. The good news is that when these teams matched up in Week 2, Watkins went 8-117-1 even though E.J. Manuel was at quarterback (as pointed out in Evan Silva's Matchup column).
So, I'd think with Orton that should project to about 12-164-2 TDs? #amirite

On a serious note, it's so great to have such a special skill player to look forward to watching each week. If there's anyone left who hasn't seen him play, tonight should be a treat. Is it game time, yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not worried about Grimes, a healthy Sammy will be open all game. Just a bit worried that Orton will find him...
Hopefully their game-plan includes a lot of quick passes to Watkins, Woods, and Chandler to keep the Miami pass rush at bay. If they do that, I think Watkins is in for a big day.

Yep, avoiding Grimes. :rolleyes:

All I heard all week was "Sammy has a tough matchup with Grimes." Not once did you hear "Grimes has a tough matchup with Sammy."

Respect him; don't fear him.

So has Sammy been open at all or just not thrown to? What a waste of talent...can you imagine him with Brees?

The OL couldn't block and Orton has absolutely no escapability. Orton had no excuses on that missed bomb though to Watkins, that should have been a 47 yard TD.

Honestly, in this game I think the Bills would have been better off with Manuel. Are INT's worse than constant sacks?

Watkins is going to be a hit and miss player in this offense. Big play dependant.

So has Sammy been open at all or just not thrown to? What a waste of talent...can you imagine him with Brees?
he was open a few times that i noticed. orton hardly looked at him tho. its like he wasnt even in the gameplan. everything went to hogan.

Why wasn't anyone complaining about Orton when Sammy had 33 and 25 points in a PPR in consecutive weeks?

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opponent's defense. Miami owned them but the schedule looks beautiful the rest of the way.

Why wasn't anyone complaining about Orton when Sammy had 33 and 25 points in a PPR in consecutive weeks?

Sometimes you have to tip your cap to the opponent's defense. Miami owned them but the schedule looks beautiful the rest of the way.
Absolutely. Which is why I benched him for VJax this week. Grimes is filthy.

I've been complaining about Orton since he's become a starter pal. He is garbage. Guy is a loser.

I've been complaining about Orton since he's become a starter pal. He is garbage. Guy is a loser.
Not sure what you were complaining about until tonight. He's been a QB1 since he took over.

The OL couldn't block and Orton has absolutely no escapability. Orton had no excuses on that missed bomb though to Watkins, that should have been a 47 yard TD.

Honestly, in this game I think the Bills would have been better off with Manuel. Are INT's worse than constant sacks?

Watkins is going to be a hit and miss player in this offense. Big play dependant.
that missed td sucked.

that missed td sucked.
Combination of tough D and Orton is middle of the road. How many first downs did the Bills complete in the second half? If I'm not mistaken they for Ofer (0 for 7) and 0 for 2 on 4th downs I believe. The game absolutely sucked! Yes, the schedule for the Bills does get better...debated all week about playing Sammy or not. Played him and now must move on with the rest of our team this week. Yes, the missed TD sucked! Doubt enters about this whole Bills team. It's like they're dependent upon their defense to win games? I don't know anymore.

that missed td sucked.
If he was just a foot or two taller... Argh!

I have the 1.01 pick and I am weighing all my options. But the clear number 1 in my opinion is Sammy Watkins. I can't help but see the resemblance when I watch Watkins play to that of Andre Johnson. They have that rare strength, speed, and physicality that is different than most. The tale of the tape...

Combine numbers:

Watkins

6 foot 1, 211 pounds

40 time: 4.43

Bench Press: 16 reps

Vertical: 34 inches

Broad: 10 foot 6

Johnson

6 foot 2, 230 pounds

40 time: 4.40

Bench Press: did not do

Vertical: 39 inches

Broad jump: 11 feet

Now, AJ is a complete beast and what he did as a 230 pounder in the 2003 combine was crazy good. Their styles though look eerily similar from what I see when I watch them play.

Some more numbers:

-AJ's college career he played 34 games in 3 years, his college career stats of 92 catches for 1831 yards with 20 td's is great Watkins even was better.

-Watkins college career is amazing. In 36 games he had 240 catches for 2291 yards and 27 td's.

-They both ran track. AJ had a personal best in the 100 meter race of 10.59 seconds and a 200 meter time of 21.51 seconds.

-Watkins has a personal best in the 100 meter race 10.45 seconds and the 200 meter race of 21.11 seconds.

-AJ was drafted at pick 1.03 of the 2003 draft and Watkins name will be called some where in the top 10 as well.

I think Watkins is the safest 1.01 of this years fantasy drafts by a large margin and he is going to be an absolute stud. I believe Watkins is going to be a ppr monster just like Andre. Watkins just like Andre (especially in his early years) has that ability to run by you, but they are not just run by you type of receivers. Andre through out his career has been a ppr monster and that is what I am seeing in Watkins. Take him at pick 1.01 and don't look back.
I don't know why but I always thought Andre Johnson was 6'3 with a 39" vert not 6 & 5/8' with a 35" vert. Some places have him listed at 6'2, but its got to be more. That's a big difference. Andre Johnson plays much taller on the field. Andre seems more closely compared to the other guy in this pic http://screencast.com/t/iIMlXq8gkQJe who is 6'4 with a 39 vert and 4.4 speed. Calling him Andre Johnson gives an impression of a tall overpowering beast WR with 4.4 speed, which he is not.

I only bring this up because I think the topic header should be changed to something closer resembling a stud 6'1 WR that has elite football skills, not an overpowering type. Sammy is definitely good and paying off, but the comparison is not good and this thread keeps getting bumped so without reading the entire thread was there ever a better comparison made and who was it? Roddy White? ... although he had a 41" vert. hair is the same :D . Bench reps 18, about the same. I would be nice to see a change to the thread title to something more closely resembling Sammy's profile.

I smell a couple of 80-yard TDs on Sunday after the CB slips on the snow. :)

At the very least they should be able to throw quick-hitters to him at will. I can't see them risking press coverage if it's a nasty day.

At the very least they should be able to throw quick-hitters to him at will. I can't see them risking press coverage if it's a nasty day.
Staying away from this game like a doctor fresh off a plane from Africa. The last time I used this logic, Calvin Johnson and Matt Stafford cost me a playoff win. Snow sucks and never works out the way you expect. Starting Josh Gordon instead. Love me some Watkins but not this week...

It snowed this week but it has no bearing on the game unless it is snowing the day off. The field will be fine for sunday. Also, if it is snowing on game day, it is not ideal, but what would make it crappy for passing is if it was also windy.

The game day forecast is not terrible? (I'm on the road). On Sirius they are saying "the game is still scheduled for 1:00"... implying that postponing it due to the weather has been discussed.

The game day forecast is not terrible? (I'm on the road). On Sirius they are saying "the game is still scheduled for 1:00"... implying that postponing it due to the weather has been discussed.
It has definitely been discussed. They're supposed to get more snow on Thursday I think, and they've already reportedly hauled more than 200,000 TONS of snow out of the stadium and lots.

That could happen, but is he really the next Andre Johnson?

It has definitely been discussed. They're supposed to get more snow on Thursday I think, and they've already reportedly hauled more than 200,000 TONS of snow out of the stadium and lots.
Heard similar and have seen twitter account's of NFL reporters reposting that the Bills are looking for any hands possible to help shovel snow. $10 per hr and tickets to the game. Patiently waiting to see what happens here owning both Watkins and Fjax.

As you may or may not know, South Buffalo got pounded with nearly 6 feet of snow yesterday. Forecasts call for an additional 1-2 feet of snow tomorrow so there is just a metric sh*tload of snow covering the Ralph. The Bills estimate that just the current amount would fill their fieldhouse over 8 times. They have put the call out for anyone and everyone to come and help shovel out the Ralph as soon as the roads re-open (still have driving bans). They pay $10 per hour and you get a free ticket while helping out your team which is a pretty sweet deal.

Sunday's forecast calls for temps to be in the 50's so snow should not be an issue game time. Team officials are asking for at least 500 people to help dig out the Ralph and have already said they will not turn anyone away. Just think about the massive amount of snow that needs to be moved: 5 feet of it everywhere: the field, the stands, the parking lots.

http://i.imgur.com/n2CAnEt.jpg

http://deadspin.com/the-bills-are-planning-to-play-on-sunday-despite-being-1660728462

That gives you an idea on what we're dealing with in WNY. Also expecting another 1 to 2 feet of snow to fall tomorrow on top of that 5-6 feet.

PFT:

Nearly four years ago, a major blizzard that hit during what would have been game time forced the NFL to move a Sunday night game between the Vikings and Eagles to Tuesday night. Now, a series of snowstorms could delay Sundays game between the Jets and Bills in Buffalo.

Per a league source, moving the 1:00 p.m. ET kickoff remains a possibility, with a potential window from Sunday night through Tuesday night.

One factor favoring a delay would be the inability of the Bills to practice. Expecting the Bills to play with little or no preparation would create a dramatic, and possibly unprecedented, disadvantage.

Of course, delaying the game until Tuesday would create a disadvantage for both teams in Week 13. The Bills host the Browns five days later. The Jets would have an extra day, since they face the Dolphins the next Monday night.

No decisions have been made, and the developments of the next day or two will surely help shape the final plan.

He's practicing in full, so I expect him to be fine
Would you start him over the likes of Evans or Gordon or Beckham? I don't think I can. I would love to see him perform to his ultimate potential. Does he have the explosiveness that he had before the groin injury? Practicing in full only means so much. Would love to know more info on Watkins - too start or not too start? Might have to watch him play another game first. At least Orton won't be fighting the wind this week.

Fred jackson comes back this game.watch Buffalo get it going early and often..they're likely in a bad mood to begin with having to leave family behind in 7+ ft of snow...this just has the feeling of one of those games where everything clicks...as goes Jackson so goes Buffalo's offense..I think they spank the Jets here..with 65000 cheering them on..

What a disaster. So much talent, so little production. He's averaging about 30 yards a game over his last three. I'm not sure how you can trust him in any playoff lineup.

:no:

Users who are viewing this thread