What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rashid Shaheed, NO (1 Viewer)

Available in my league still.

Is it fair to say he’s a lot like Toney with his speed and ability to make big plays but unlike Toney he actually plays games and there’s no need to deal with the sideshow antics?
He’s like Toney in the sense he’s fast. The difference is he’s healthy and produces consistently.

Is it fair to say he’s a lot like Toney with his speed and ability to make big plays but unlike Toney he actually plays games and there’s no need to deal with the sideshow antics?
He’s like Toney in the sense he’s fast. The difference is he’s healthy and produces consistently.
I'm rooting for the guy, but he's had 2 ACL injuries himself, and I wouldn't say that he produces "consistently" just yet.

I'm rooting for the guy, but he's had 2 ACL injuries himself, and I wouldn't say that he produces "consistently" just yet.
He’s played in 11 NFL games and is averaging 58 yards and 0.38 TDs per game. Pretty nice start to a career. If his name was Jameson Williams or Skyy Moore people would need to change their underwear they would be so excited.

He’s played in 11 NFL games and is averaging 58 yards and 0.38 TDs per game. Pretty nice start to a career. If his name was Jameson Williams or Skyy Moore people would need to change their underwear they would be so excited.
I agree, nice start to a career. That's a far cry from producing consistently though.

Again, I own him and am rooting for him, just trying to keep things in perspective. He's 25 years old, an UDFA, had 2 ACL surgeries, minimal production in the Big Sky conference, and has yet to exceed 6 targets in a game. No doubt he's ridiculously fast, but there is still plenty of question as to whether he can produce consistently.

I agree, nice start to a career. That's a far cry from producing consistently though.

Again, I own him and am rooting for him, just trying to keep things in perspective. He's 25 years old, an UDFA, had 2 ACL surgeries, minimal production in the Big Sky conference, and has yet to exceed 6 targets in a game. No doubt he's ridiculously fast, but there is still plenty of question as to whether he can produce consistently.
Posted this in a week 2 start em/sit em thread. Surprised to see so many doubters after all he's shown since getting more playing time week 12 last season. Having Carr at QB improves the situation in 2023. He's my 2nd highest owned WR in over 100 best ball drafts this summer. No trades, so it's not like big hype is going to make any difference to those teams.

He outscored Olave in 5 of the last 7 weeks in full PPR scoring going back to week 12 when Shaheed started seeing more playing time. Considering Olave has a much higher volume, that's pretty wild. I'm starting him especially while Kamara is out.

Olave19.217.08.20.08.310.511.2
Shaheed21.07.113.98.118.511.57.3

Posted this in a week 2 start em/sit em thread. Surprised to see so many doubters after all he's shown since getting more playing time week 12 last season. Having Carr at QB improves the situation in 2023. He's my 2nd highest owned WR in over 100 best ball drafts this summer. No trades, so it's not like big hype is going to make any difference to those teams.

He outscored Olave in 5 of the last 7 weeks in full PPR scoring going back to week 12 when Shaheed started seeing more playing time. Considering Olave has a much higher volume, that's pretty wild. I'm starting him especially while Kamara is out.

Injuries are a concern for every player in the football and for some players they seem to come all at once. Why, no one truly knows. He's not returning punts anymore which to me is a big positive. They're drawing up plays to get him in space, even running plays. Glad I picked him up.

Well, he'd better outperform Olave since he's 2 years older than him. :lol:

Sure, if you want to start at week 12, count a game Olave missed due to injury and another where he was limited with the same injury, they were comparable. But that's not really the point, the point was he really hasn't produced consistently (yet), he's only had a couple of good FF games. It isn't a knock, it shouldn't be expected that he would have, but it's reality.

That said, he's a great WR to roster considering his super low cost, especially in best ball leagues like yours. In non-best ball leagues, he's going to need more volume to be consistent. Hopefully he's on his way.

In my .5ppr leagues that score production from the return game, Shaheed put up nearly a 30-burger last week. My guess is that he's never going to be a volume play. A lot of other weapons around him is a good thing. As noted, very fast & elusive, can do a lot with 6-8 targets, a run or two & several returns. Plus, a considerable upgrade at QB.

Not a crazy game, but I really like the fact they are still going to this guy. Will be one of my favorite sleeper type players to monitor all season. Seems like a Desean Jackson clone or poor man's version.

Carr's shoulder injury is going to make deep throws difficult till he's right. I'm not expecting much from Shaheed for a couple of games.

This kid is so good. From what I’ve seen, Speed Shaheed is second only to Tyreek as far as explosiveness goes.

He would’ve had a second TD (about 85 yards) if Carr had a little stronger arm (or if he was 100%). Had his guy beat by 4 or 5 yards on a go, but it was underthrown. As it was, Shaheed came back & made a great catch on a 50-50 ball. He’s really dangerous on jet sweeps, too (& as a returner if you get points).

I’m going to be that guy & say some of the targets they’re giving to Olave & Thomas need to go to Shaheed. He’s not just a one-trick pony & may actually be their best WR.

Last edited:
I’m going to be that guy & say some of the targets they’re giving to Olave & Thomas need to go to Shaheed. He’s not just a one-trick pony & may actually be their best WR.
I agree with this. At present, the Saints' offense has both wholesale O-line problems (both injuries and ineffectiveness) AND a probable looming demotion of OC Pete Carmichael. A lot of things are working against Shaheed at the moment (against Olave as well, as I'm sure owners have noticed).

So is this guy the new Boom or Bust Gabe Davis or is just that he’s not getting enough opportunities?

So is this guy the new Boom or Bust Gabe Davis or is just that he’s not getting enough opportunities?
Great question, it is shades of rookie year Tyreek Hill. Now that is obviously the most insane best case scenario and I do not think Shaheed ends up as a Hall of Famer. I just mean it sure seems like this guy's per touch production on receptions, runs, returns is pretty eye popping and it makes you wonder if the Saints shouldn't be coming up with ways to get him 5-10 touches a game just to see how much he can offer.

The Saints need to feature Shaheed. Way underutilized & despite the draft capital difference, he’s looking like their best WR (certainly the most effecient).

This cat isn’t your basic speed merchant. They can work a lot of things off the cushion DBs have to give him. He’s got some nuance to his game & has good hands.

I have a good feeling on him - I think they will slowly integrate him more and he becomes much more consistent. Love him as a WR#3 with upside

Great question, it is shades of rookie year Tyreek Hill. Now that is obviously the most insane best case scenario and I do not think Shaheed ends up as a Hall of Famer. I just mean it sure seems like this guy's per touch production on receptions, runs, returns is pretty eye popping and it makes you wonder if the Saints shouldn't be coming up with ways to get him 5-10 touches a game just to see how much he can offer.
Absolutely. Shaheed needs more targets & at least 8 touches a game.

Tyreek is a legit comparison. In fact, if the Saints had a top QB, we’re likely looking at a FF stud.

Tyreek is a legit comparison. In fact, if the Saints had a top QB, we’re likely looking at a FF stud.
I see him more as a Desean than Tyreek guy, b/c Tyreek is just more powerful than any speed WR I have ever seen. But maybe splitting hairs. Picked him up in a majority of my dynasties late last season, just keep starting/benching him the wrong weeks.

I see him more as a Desean than Tyreek guy, b/c Tyreek is just more powerful than any speed WR I have ever seen. But maybe splitting hairs. Picked him up in a majority of my dynasties late last season, just keep starting/benching him the wrong weeks.
The thing that separates Shaheed from guys like Jackson is his contested catch ability. The exciting thing is he’s got a lot of headroom left. Shaheed isn’t anywhere near maxed out like Nacua, for instance.

Just a shame he's 25 and not 22 or 23.
It’s a ding, but plenty young enough to get going. Hopefully, he gets a QB who can take full advantage of his speed.

It’s not like Tua has a gun so there’s hope, but the coaching staff needs to wake up & smell the coffee. There’s a bunch of things they could do with him.

Shaheed was blowing some assignments earlier in the season (e.g. running to the wrong spot or wrong depth) when the Saints were trying to work him into the short & intermediate game. But I think he can improve in those areas. Hopefully, he keeps making plays and continues to earn a patient hand from the coaches.

Shaheed was blowing some assignments earlier in the season (e.g. running to the wrong spot or wrong depth) when the Saints were trying to work him into the short & intermediate game. But I think he can improve in those areas. Hopefully, he keeps making plays and continues to earn a patient hand from the coaches.
Yeah, he was raw coming out, but those are the easiest things to correct. I still think they could be a lot more creative with him, though.

Shaheed just needs a crack so I’d run him a couple times a game, give him a touch or two on screens, & work in some speed motion concepts like Tyreek does. Also, not sure how many drag routes he’s ran, but that’s an easy way to utilize his speed with a simple route. Hard to keep up with Shaheed running across the field in man, & if he’s open, it’s a high percentage throw.

Yeah, he was raw coming out, but those are the easiest things to correct.
Right on.

Something fantasy observers might not be hip to is that Shaheed missed both OTAs and about a month of training camp this season. He was also hurt for all of camp and the first five regular season games in 2022, as well. So his instruction/installation time with the coaches has been very limited to date. There are still fundamental things Shaheed is working into his game right now. He's far from a finished product.

With Thomas on the IL who is rolling out Shaheed? If so, who are you playing him over?

I am in a 0.5 PPR and are deciding between Hollywood, Godwin, Shaheed and Doubs. I really can't decide. They all have issues.

With Thomas on the IL who is rolling out Shaheed?

I am, but Thomas being out shouldn't influence Shaheed's playing time too much. In fact, one of the websites was pointing out that it was A.T. Perry's snaps that jumped when Thomas went down mid-game. I'd expect Shaheed to be the WR3 in three-wide sets, not the one shifting to Thomas's position. They also signed Marquez Callaway, who is familiar with the Saints' system.

Don't know who I'd roll given your choices, though. Doubs would seem to be a guy to look at in a shootout in Detroit where GB is either throwing a lot to keep pace or catch up with the Lions.

I tentatively am playing him in my flex spot over Mattison and Atwell. I think he has a higher ceiling over Mattison but I’m still debating Atwell. With Cupp out Kyren back and Puca ailing with a tasty matchup…

I tentatively am playing him in my flex spot over Mattison and Atwell. I think he has a higher ceiling over Mattison but I’m still debating Atwell. With Cupp out Kyren back and Puca ailing with a tasty matchup…
Tentative? Be confident .. He’s gonna ball as long as Derek Carr is the QB

Rashid Shaheed is unlikely to play in Week 13 against the Lions due to a quad injury.

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, a source told him Shaheed appears to have avoided major injury after leaving Sunday’s game against the Falcons in the second quarter. Rapoport says Shaheed is “more day-to-day than anything else,” but it sounds like the team is preparing to be without him for at least one week. With Michael Thomas on injured reserve and Chris Olave dealing with a concussion, the Saints could be dangerously thin at receiver, which could lead to a busy day for Alvin Kamara and perhaps an expanded package for Taysom Hill. Rookie A.T. Perry, who has led Saints receivers in snaps each of the last two weeks, could also be in line for a bigger role.

He didn't look good. Looked like he hurt it and tried to go again on it, which led to him limping off the field and throwing his helmet. It looked worse than "day-to-day" to me, but it's good that they were able to get that sort of assessment on him.

Unfortunately, I desperately need him this week.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Rashid Shaheed (thigh) “has a chance to return” in Week 15 against the Giants.

As was previously reported, Schefter said Shaheed is not expected to play in Week 14 against the Panthers. Though Schefter makes it sound like we could be seeing Shaheed soon, we aren’t jumping to any conclusions yet. Saints beat writer Nick Underhill reported on Saturday that the speedy receiver’s thigh injury is “more serious than initially believed.” He didn’t give a timetable for Shaheed’s return, but that doesn’t paint an overly optimistic picture of his odds of playing anytime soon. Fantasy managers can likely move on from Shaheed on the next run of waivers. Rookie A.T. Perry will take his place in the lineup for the foreseeable future.

Saints WR Rashid Shaheed (thigh) returned to practice on Wednesday

It was reported on Sunday that Shaheed seemed likely to return for Week 15 and that appears to be the case. His return will be a big boost for Derek Carr against a surprisingly strong Giants secondary. Shaheed received the most Pro Bowl votes of any NFL return specialist, but also has been an important receiver for the Saints, ranking second on the team in receiving yards with 533. He’s been incredibly valuable as a deep threat, posting six receptions of 40 or more yards this season. He would be a WR3 against a solid Giants defense

Users who are viewing this thread