What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (1 Viewer)

More concerning to me than the ACL is volume. I like where Landry is coming in ADP wise bc I know he’ll always be a chain mover (full PPR.) But OBJ hasn’t been special for a long time. He was such a beast in NY but he’s just not that guy anymore and they’re not going to throw enough to merit his current ADP.
I'll say that even with lower volume, he seems to make his touches count.  Solid WR2, but with serious upside that most WR2s don't have.

I don't think we ever really saw his full deployment in this offense as it didn't hit its stride until after his injury and I'm very skeptical this team will 'run a lot' - at least as far as this being a run first team anyway. This was evident watching each game as the season went on last year but it's buried in the data on account of November monsoons, December/January covid, and getting out to some big first half leads (largely through the air). 

There are lots of reasons to believe we'll never see anything like the 2016 and prior version again, but I don't think it's baked into his current market rate - Redraft WR28 and Dynasty WR34. I got him as WR35 (my #4) in a startup a couple weeks ago. Maybe that'll change over the next couple months, but 'costs too much' does not enter my thought process at that price. I think it'd take another serious injury not to at least get ROI with that level of investment.
Well and it's not any one thing that breaks it for me.  My thinking is that as we get closer and closer to the season--you get a clip or 2 of him making 1 handed catches and the hype machine picks up.  But certainly if he's going around WR28--hard to hate him at that price.

Browns WR Odell Beckham (knee) participated in individual drills on Tuesday.

The Akron Beacon Journal's Nate Ulrich added that Beckham was not wearing a brace on his knee during the drills. This marks his first practice since suffering a torn ACL in Week 7 of last year. Beckham has reportedly been on track at every step of his rehabilitation and could be ready to work with the team by training camp. He has struggled with injuries since joining the Browns via trade two years ago but will return to the best version of Cleveland's offense that he's seen so far. Baker Mayfield posted career numbers last year and the offense drastically improved under first-year coach Kevin Stefanski. The Browns' run-first approach will limit Beckham to WR2 numbers but he remains the best receiver to target in Cleveland.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jun 15, 2021, 2:15 PM ET

I'll say that even with lower volume, he seems to make his touches count.  Solid WR2, but with serious upside that most WR2s don't have.
He was about three plays from being a horrific liability last year.

a fluke TD against the Jets and then one big game where many probably had him benched in shallower leagues.  

Sam Quentin said:
He was about three plays from being a horrific liability last year.

a fluke TD against the Jets and then one big game where many probably had him benched in shallower leagues.  
He didn't play against the Jets last year.

Two years ago he had Freddie Kitchens as his HC, people don't understand how big of a disaster Kitchens was as a HC.

Last year he got injured prior to Stefanski winning COY (a rookie head coach who also called plays w/no OTAs, TC, preseason).  Add a team ravaged by COVID adding to remarkable job coaches did last year.  OBJ got left out of before everything began clicking and missed out on the playoffs. 

He doesn't have the weight of unrealistic expectations, the team doesn't have to lean on him.  Last year the offensive line went from one of the worst to one of the best and went run-heavy.  Stefanski has options this year.

OBJ a bargain.  Reports have consistently stated he's healthy and ready.

Buy cheap now... if you can.
I think Stefandkis offense provides enough opportunity for Beckham to possibly surprise some people this year.

I think it's mostly on Mayfirld how well he does and being fully healty of course.

I think Stefandkis offense provides enough opportunity for Beckham to possibly surprise some people this year.

I think it's mostly on Mayfirld how well he does and being fully healty of course.
I think many people are down on him creating a bargain just on that basis.

Add in that the team took a few weeks to get up to speed with Stefanski last year right about the time OBJ got injured and the one big component missing was a deep threat. 

I don't expect a huge season but I do see a bargain because I think production will exceed current low expectations 'with some owners'.  OBJ comes with built-in hate and that is expected so I would imagine 'some' owners would want to deal and their is opportunity for a bargain.

He's a polarizing player and could very well be a bargain in some leagues, where owners feel "done" with him but I'm guessing in most leagues, there's at least one owner willing to reach based on the hope that he could recapture the magic of those first 3 seasons and give you WR1 value a bit later.  I think the biggest variable here (beyond his ability to stay on the field) is whether the Browns open up the offense a bit more this year. In 2020, only 4 teams attempted less passes.  Stefanski clearly wanted to keep things simple for Mayfield, minimize the mistakes and run all day with Chubb and Hunt.  Mayfield had less than 200 yards passing in 7 games and less than 150 yards passing in 4 games.

Does Stefanski turn Mayfield loose a bit more this year now that he has another year in the system and Beckham back? Or do more of the same as last season?  I'm guessing it's the latter.  They have two excellent running backs and a tremendous offensive line - probably the best in football.  They have a great defense and should be in situations to run early and often.  If this is indeed the case, I think it puts a bit of a ceiling on Beckham.  He should still be productive and I can see 75/1100/7 but I don't see 100/1300/10/. I see him in the same range as Moore, Golladay, and the Pittsburgh receivers. I would not take him before Lamb, Kupp/Woods, or Chase.

Browns quick hits: Odell Beckham Jr. looks like his old self; JOK expects big Week 1 role

Excerpt:

BEREA — Odell Beckham Jr. looked like his old self Monday while gearing up for Sunday's opener on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs.

The observation came straight from fellow Browns wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones.

"He made a real good catch out there today," Peoples-Jones said after practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus. "He looked like Odell."

You mean OBJ looked like his old self?

"Yes, sir," Peoples-Jones said.

Beckham, of course, is coming back from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee Oct. 25 against the Cincinnati Bengals. He had surgery Nov. 10.

The Browns ramped him up slowly throughout training camp and held him out of preseason games, but all of that was expected, and every single sign along the comeback trail has pointed to Beckham playing Week 1 in Kansas City, even though the organization has refrained from any public promises.

Beckham returned to team drills on Aug. 26.

"He's worked hard," Peoples-Jones said. "He's a big part of this team.

"I'm very excited [to play with him again]. To have our whole strength is always great."

Odell Beckham (knee) remained "limited" in Thursday's practice.

The Browns aren't overdoing it with Beckham in the early going, and the veteran wideout could be looking at an entire season of "limited" tags as the team tries to keep him fresh following multiple injury-plagued years. On the WR2/3 borderline from a season-long perspective, Beckham is more WR2 than WR3 for Week 1 for what should be a high-scoring game in Kansas City. 

Sep 9, 2021, 6:39 PM ET

I expect him to play and for the coaches to monitor him through the game.  I suspect that if he 'feel's ok he'll stay in the game.

He has a way of doing spectacular things when he gets written off.  I'm sure he wants to make a statement.

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

What should we expect from Odell Beckham Jr. in his first real action since October?

To immediately step into the role of downfield playmaking threat that the Browns missed after OBJ's ACL injury last season. Beckham might not grab a bunch of receptions this season out of Cleveland's run-heavy offense. But healthy again, he has the capacity -- and a confident QB in Baker Mayfield -- to be one of the league's top big-play TD threats. -- Jake Trotter

The Akron Beacon Journal reports "all signs point" to Odell Beckham (questionable, knee) playing in Week 1 against Kansas City.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski wouldn't confirm if Beckham, who was limited all week and has yet to be tackled, would be active for the season opener. Beat reporter Nate Ulrich notes it "should come as no surprise" if Beckham is on a snap count in his first game since last year's ACL injury. Even at less than full health, Beckham is a WR3 play for a potential Week 1 shootout with the Chiefs.

SOURCE: Akron Beacon Journal

Sep 11, 2021, 11:36 AM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Odell Beckham (knee) is a game-time decision for Week 1 against the Chiefs.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said "the plan" is for OBJ to play, and that's been the word all week. But, as Schefter notes, Beckham didn't take full reps in practice this week and has yet to face any contact this summer after tearing his ACL last year. We still expect OBJ to be out there for the 4:25 PM ET kickoff, but fantasy players will need to check back on him this afternoon. Donovan Peoples-Jones would slide in if OBJ can't go for some reason.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 12, 2021, 8:36 AM ET

When do you guys think we will see him?  Feel like he has to play a full game before we think about inserting him into a lineup. Would have loved to have him vs Houston this upcoming week.

May the Schwartz be with you.

Or Landry.
Has he definitely passed DPJ and is he a better pick up for us OBJ owners than the other WW scraps?
Good question. Schwartz was obviously more productive and had more targets than DPJ (5 vs 1). Although DPJ was on the field a lot more than Schwartz (80% snap count versus 53%).  One week is obviously a small sample size, so it might be a wait and see thing. 

well at least they are saying he is definitely playing i week 3. not a great sign though to be out already, can't tell if the reporting on him is fishy, if he is just being extra precautious, or what. 

The most unreliable WR in the league.
He is actually fairly reliable right now.  You know he is not playing and can plan accordingly.  This actually makes things easier.  If he is still out through 6 weeks then I will start worrying.  Right now he is on the short end of a return date from ACL surgery so I am willing to let it play out.  

He suffered his injury last year in the 7th game.  The recovery takes one full year.  

If he is ON-schedule we should expect him back in six gamCes but the Browns didn't place him on IR which they would have done if he were ON-schedule.  

Reports said he was AHEAD OF-schedule.  They easily could have put him on IR where he'd be eligible to come off in a few weeks which would still be AHEAD OF-schedule for his injury.  

Schwartz was able to fill his role stretching the field vertically and that was shocking.  Even with Schwatz' great debut a KC DB was able to rip the ball right out of both of his hands at a critical point of the game, OBJ would have made the play IMHO.  Schwartz was really good but the team and  coaches are waiting for OBJ.  

Two years ago the former FO/coaches rushed him back from  an  injury  he suffered in the preseason and that affected him the entire year.  This FO/coaching staff has been cautious so don't expect him back for at least one more week.

Odell Beckham (knee) is inactive for Week 2 against the Browns. 

Considering Beckham was ruled out by his head coach on Tuesday, you probably have had plenty of time to pivot to other options by now. In case you somehow missed that: Hey, Odell Beckham is inactive! Time to get him out of your lineup. Donovan Peoples-Jones is listed by the Browns inactive release as the official "starter" at WR opposite Beckham, while third-round rookie Anthony Schwartz took most of the targets last week in Beckham's stead. Also inactive for the Browns are S Richard LeCounte III, LB Tony Fields II, OT Chris Hubbard, and DT Tommy Togiai. 

Sep 19, 2021, 11:40 AM ET

It’s bad form to overlook an opponent, but my hot take is that the Browns looked at their opponent and decided it was wiser to let OBJ heal rather than push him to play against Houston…

Users who are viewing this thread