What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Odell Beckham, Jr., MIA (4 Viewers)

wow the hate is strong here after only 1 game against a top team.....I know he is unlikable but way too early to be bailing on OBJ
some would argue it has been a couple years since he was last the stud everyone thinks of him as.  I do want to see a few more games before I lose all hope in him.  In redraft I would hold and hope he returns to form.  I would also look to buy low if an owner is discounting him a bunch.  I for sure am not selling him as his value is at an all time low.

just traded for and bought low on odell. just reviewed his ten targets and it was a mixed bag. he had a drop, another one close to a drop. baker was inaccurate on a few more... he was a few inches away from having a 4/72/1 day (there was a 50 yard bomb towards the end of the game baker missed the throw and he had beckham was wide open).
He also had a face mask and lost track of where the sideline was on another. He was the primary culprit on 3 consecutive stalled drives when the game went from kinda in doubt to ovah.

stefanski spent most of the 2nd half using 3 TE's and only 1 WR to just pound the football. football fan me: the bengals couldnt stop it so it made sense to keep using it..... the odell manager in me: #### this, why wouldnt you have odell on the field as the 1 WR... is a WR blocking ability really going to matter when you have 9 good blockers already on the field and you are running between the tackles?

Last edited by a moderator:
stefanski spent most of the 2nd half using 3 TE's and only 1 WR to just pound the football. football fan me: the bengals couldnt stop it so it made sense to keep using it..... the odell manager in me: #### this, why wouldnt you have odell on the field as the 1 WR... is a WR blocking ability really going to matter when you have 9 good blockers already on the field and you are running between the tackles?
I don't think this will be what is normal.  Cincinattis defense was terrible in stopping the run.  In the first half they were taking shots down the field.  They also were targeting OBJ in crossing routes which is where he thrives.  The Browns had a lead and two great RBs to grind it out.

edited for: I don't think the Browns will be leading many of their games this season.

Odie seems like a flash in the pan.  A guy who came into the league and made some highlight reel catches but in reality is a #2 or maybe a  #3 type of  WR. Small. not strong like Landry and does not break press coverage.  We all thought he would be more but he is just not.  
This is pretty far off as some one that watched almost all of his games as a NYG - I'm local. He was much more than highlight real catches. He was a precise route runner, with amazing RAC skills and is tough for his size. Sure we haven't seen that guy much in Cleveland but he was surely an elite talent (and likely still is).

This is pretty far off as some one that watched almost all of his games as a NYG - I'm local. He was much more than highlight real catches. He was a precise route runner, with amazing RAC skills and is tough for his size. Sure we haven't seen that guy much in Cleveland but he was surely an elite talent (and likely still is).
Agreed...superior talent when his head was screwed on straight...the guy is an enigma (the definition of enigma...a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand)...the big question is if he got traded and went to a stable organization like a New England, Green Bay or KC would the good Beckham reappear like Moss did with the Pats.

I don't think this will be what is normal.  Cincinattis defense was terrible in stopping the run.  In the first half they were taking shots down the field.  They also were targeting OBJ in crossing routes which is where he thrives.  The Browns had a lead and two great RBs to grind it out.

edited for: I don't think the Browns will be leading many of their games this season.
Yeah, when this team is playing > a td ahead it's gonna be a game script like that, but given the personnel in the back 7 of the defense I can't imagine that's gonna happen too often. 

Never questioned the talent. Just disappears too much during games. They showed the highlights from last week and he was never open.  

Last night Odie made a good catch and TD.   

Never questioned the talent. Just disappears too much during games. They showed the highlights from last week and he was never open.  

Last night Odie made a good catch and TD.   
Sure, fair enough. If he disappeared during any Giant games it wasn’t often - the playoff game against GB does come to mind though - and he did command attention which helped the whole offense. I know he hasn’t looked good with Cleveland - I drafted him in the second round last year. I had no interest in him this year but when he fell to 4.9, I felt the upside was worth that price. Of course I benched him last night after a week one stinker.

Shell of his former self. Once I saw that picture of him on a bed with two ladies and a cocaine straw, I knew the end was near. Another diva athlete who thinks he’s too good to work hard and do the little things to be great. Bye

Shell of his former self. Once I saw that picture of him on a bed with two ladies and a cocaine straw, I knew the end was near. Another diva athlete who thinks he’s too good to work hard and do the little things to be great. Bye
Even last night's TD catch hit him in the face before he caught it.

Agreed...superior talent when his head was screwed on straight...the guy is an enigma (the definition of enigma...a person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand)...the big question is if he got traded and went to a stable organization like a New England, Green Bay or KC would the good Beckham reappear like Moss did with the Pats.
I think he spends too much energy trying to "out-do" Jarvis Landry with the hair...

The defender didn't touch him, but don't let that get in the way of your take.
Ok, I didn’t notice that but don’t let that get in the way of you being a jerk.

Why so many emotional people here? The simple knowledge transfer of “he never got touched” would have totally sufficed yet you felt the need to add that extra layer of emotion and bitterness to your post. Why? I mean the TD counted regardless of what I thought so what’s the point?

Ok, I didn’t notice that but don’t let that get in the way of you being a jerk.

Why so many emotional people here? The simple knowledge transfer of “he never got touched” would have totally sufficed yet you felt the need to add that extra layer of emotion and bitterness to your post. Why? I mean the TD counted regardless of what I thought so what’s the point?
I didn’t come close to the #######ry that you were laying down. 

Shell of his former self. Once I saw that picture of him on a bed with two ladies and a cocaine straw, I knew the end was near. Another diva athlete who thinks he’s too good to work hard and do the little things to be great. Bye
His best days are behind him.

My partner picked Beckham and I personally don't care for him, but that is besides the point. 

Tried shopping him many times to no avail - Yahoo has his stats kinda high too. Thought that would entice another team owner - nope.

Now that he scored and looked alright I think I'll try again. 

Beckham is not a particularly demanding product in fantasy football because last year he sucked, his QB has accuracy issues, he has an attitude, and the Browns just kinda suck. Anything else? Does he have talent, sure. Last year the Browns were a team I was rooting for. This year, can't stand em lol. I could switch loyalties on this team in a heartbeat. Scoring 35 might lift em up again?

I think Odell's never gonna be who he was in the New York and his time is marching on. He's getting...dare I say it...old. His best days are likely behind him, anything you get from him now is gravy dipping into the fountain of youth.

That's my hot take. I looked to acquire him nowhere, redraft or dynasty. Makes no sense at his price. 

I think Odell's never gonna be who he was in the New York and his time is marching on. He's getting...dare I say it...old. His best days are likely behind him, anything you get from him now is gravy dipping into the fountain of youth.

That's my hot take. I looked to acquire him nowhere, redraft or dynasty. Makes no sense at his price. 
What’s his price?  Per a couple of sites, seems like his ADP is ~ pick 35, or 3.10, as WR14. 

🤷‍♂️. Seems about right to me, if not an actual decent roll of the dice. Maybe I’m a sucker, but the talent is still there and I think folks are prematurely shoveling dirt on his grave.  

What’s his price?  Per a couple of sites, seems like his ADP is ~ pick 35, or 3.10, as WR14. 

🤷‍♂️. Seems about right to me, if not an actual decent roll of the dice. Maybe I’m a sucker, but the talent is still there and I think folks are prematurely shoveling dirt on his grave.  
I hear what you're saying, but I'd rather go with unproven guys right now like D.J. Chark or Terry McLaurin at that price. Seems like the upside is stronger there. OBJ probably had one of his best nights as a member of the Browns the other night, and it still wasn't all that great.

Caveat - I own him in my man in league, but I mostly agree with this.  What I will say is that I don’t think Mayfield will be as good as unlocking Beckham’s talents as even a declining Eli was.

But healthy, Beckham still looks capable of having two 8/160/2 type games in a season still, which are the type that drive top-tier WR desirability.

Honest question, what percentage of NFL players do you think have never done coke with a stranger in a hotel room?

So I want to deal him since I also have Chubb and not a big fan of tying that much offense into the Browns.  Best offer I got was McLaurin which seems just a touch low.  Might have up the ante by asking for Fant for Greg Olsen to seal the deal.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns have "no plans to trade" WR Odell Beckham.

Schefter added that the team was adamant about keeping Beckham. The star receiver got off to a rocky start this year with a three-catch, 22-yard performance in the Browns' opener versus the Ravens. He was targeted 10 times but the quality of those targets was questionable at best. Rumors of a trade cropped up after the game when Mike Francesa tweeted that the Browns were actively shopping OBJ. Beckham bounced back with four catches for 74 yards and a score in Cleveland's Week 2 win over the Bengals. Schefter's report should keep any rumors of a Beckham trade off the table for now.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 20, 2020, 10:48 AM ET

So as a football fan I love this. It’s rational, team-oriented & shows maturation. 

For OBJ-owners or owners trying to move him, this is about the worst thing one could read, 

Speaking Thursday, Odell Beckham said he "probably" would not post huge numbers in the Browns' run-based offense. 

"For me, one of my biggest growths has come in acceptance in a sense and for me knowing it’s probably not going to be that kind of season (with huge numbers),'' Beckham said to the Cleveland media. "You have two legitimate No. 1 backs in the backfield, and our team is very, very, very good at running the football, so you have to play to your strengths. Then I think you learn where you fit in and where you’re able." Beckham has a modest 16 targets through Weeks 1 and 2, though he managed a 43-yard touchdown in Week 2 as the Browns rolled up 215 yards on the ground. Unfortunately, Beckham's assessment is likely correct. The one-time Giants phenomenon is settling into the WR18-24 range for fantasy purposes.  

So as a football fan I love this. It’s rational, team-oriented & shows maturation. 

For OBJ-owners or owners trying to move him, this is about the worst thing one could read, 
Just as a fan I'm glad he has got everything together. He's fun to watch and was always worried he might become the next AB with his antics. From throwing a fit on the sideline to where he maturity is now is great to see.

Like you said though, sucks for fantasy owners.

Odell Beckham, Jr. caught four-of-six targets for 59 yards in the Browns' Week 3 win over Washington. 

Cleveland went heavy on the ground in the second half with a comfortable lead, leaving the pass catchers without much volume. Baker Mayfield targeted OBJ deep once, throwing it short and forcing Beckham to break up an interception. Beckham has the rare chance to see decent volume in Week 4 when the Browns play the Cowboys in a potentially high scoring contest. 

Sep 27, 2020, 4:37 PM ET

Was thinking the same thing.  Looks like the same explosive receiver as he typically looks, but just getting less opportunities.

Browns WR Odell Beckham, Jr. (back) was limited in practice Thursday. 

Tough year so far for top-end NFL wide receivers. We'll watch OBJ's Friday practice status; if he practices on a limited basis, he should be active for this week's game against Dallas. Beckham could get the rare chance to see some target volume this week in a potentially high scoring game. 

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

I've been waiting for a good week to sell this guy. This seems like it .

Whats his dynasty value ? Any recent trades ?

He must have something especially in start 3 wr leagues.

He’s worth a first, but no longer worth multiple firsts. Only way to get him for a 2nd would be if he’s out for the rest of the year. 

Odell Beckham hauled in 5-of-8 targets for 81 yards and two scores, tacking on a 50-yard touchdown run in Cleveland's Week 4 win over the Cowboys.

It was Beckham's first multi-touchdown game since joining the Browns last year. He was concertedly involved from the beginning, capping Cleveland's first possession with a 37-yard touchdown catch following a tricky reverse handoff and pass from Jarvis Landry. Beckham later scored on a four-yard play-action pass from Baker Mayfield, again adding to his totals with a jaw-dropping 50-yard end around score in the fourth quarter to push Cleveland's lead to 47-38. Beckham's eruption is encouraging, but it's worth noting that he's still averaged only 6.6 targets in the Browns' last three games. He'll be a fringe WR1 in Week 5 against the Colts.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

I’m a bit surprised there’s not more buzz on Beckham after his monster game.

In all reality, this Is the first time the ‘old’ OBJ has surfaced in CLE.  It wasn’t just a good game.  It was flamboyant and it was on the biggest stage the NFL has to offer, JerryWorld.  When it looked like things were going to crumble by blowing a big lead, it was OBJ who turned what initially looked like it could be a disastrous play into the biggest play CLE has experienced in a long time.

For me, that’s the type of game that propels seasons and also gives CLE a first hand understanding of what they in fact have in him.  I’d be a buyer cause I think there’ll be a lot of owners looking to sell high for 80 cents on the dollar.

In all reality, this Is the first time the ‘old’ OBJ has surfaced in CLE.  It wasn’t just a good game.  It was flamboyant and it was on the biggest stage the NFL has to offer, JerryWorld.  When it looked like things were going to crumble by blowing a big lead, it was OBJ who turned what initially looked like it could be a disastrous play into the biggest play CLE has experienced in a long time.

For me, that’s the type of game that propels seasons and also gives CLE a first hand understanding of what they in fact have in him.  I’d be a buyer cause I think there’ll be a lot of owners looking to sell high for 80 cents on the dollar.

this doesnt change his season outlook for me a whole lot. he'll end up being a WR2 at the end of the year but you're going to get one or two more huge games and several other stinkers (just like the first 4 games have been). he's not going to get the target volume to produce an elite season like OBJ of old. His two biggest plays yesterday were gadget plays against a truly horrible defense. (monday morning wet blanket :) ). though credit to him on the reverse that was OBJ of old running by everyone.

Baker also missed him running wide open down the sideline for another chunk gain on 3rd and 5 late. He’s playing great ball right now. Just needs the volume. And the safety to have to cheat on the run game would help too.

:goodposting:

I had my doubts as to whether Beckham was still elite, but he looked electric for sure.  Now, it was against a pitiful Dallas defense, and they won't be so fortunate as to face a D that bad again, but we saw that Beckham can still be all-world. 

OBJ played hurt last year with a terrible coach.....I think he's finally healthy and will be used as a the stud they traded for.....I can see him finishing as a #1 WR

Keeping in mind he loves the spotlight and playing Dallas....plus Chubb going down helped as well.....there will be some so so games but he can also win you a week.....Im in.  

OBJ scored on three gimmicky plays, only one of which involved Baker...I am not sold that Baker and OBJ have any chemistry due to his nice game and I don’t know that the gimmicks are sustainable 

Maybe with Chubb going down they’ll have a bit more pass attempts/game? Certainly after a game like this it makes it harder to sit him. But I still like the targets a Lamb or Jefferson are getting better than his. Which is weird to me.

Users who are viewing this thread