What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Nic Toon NO (1 Viewer)

Toon is buried extraordinarly deep in the WR corps. Even if he gets playing time it will be minimial. And even if he gets significant playing time he plays in an offense which spreads the love so thin it amounts to hate.

Stay away.

Toon is buried extraordinarly deep in the WR corps. Even if he gets playing time it will be minimial. And even if he gets significant playing time he plays in an offense which spreads the love so thin it amounts to hate.

Stay away.
If Colston were to go down, wouldn't he step right into that position. Also, he offers something cooks & stills don't.

Stay away.
If Colston were to go down, wouldn't he step right into that position. Also, he offers something cooks & stills don't.
Anyone rostering him should realize that his value is as Colston's backup/future replacement.

Stay away.
Anyone rostering him should realize that his value is as Colston's backup/future replacement.
That's what I remembering hearing all last summer. And in the one game Colston missed last year, Toon was awful, catching no balls and making a few major mistakes that led to several turnovers (drops or bad routes leading to INTs).

Stay away.
That's what I remembering hearing all last summer. And in the one game Colston missed last year, Toon was awful, catching no balls and making a few major mistakes that led to several turnovers (drops or bad routes leading to INTs).
True... He was terrible in his only shot this far for significant time... Maybe this time he gets an opportunity and he shines... You could do worse with a late flier in dynasty because at least he has an elite QB

I believe your benches gotta be fairly deep (28 plus non idp) if you want to roster this guy in dynasty but if he does become the Marques Colston in this early in 2015 well then you've just picked up a decent wr2 possibly for next to nothing

Undrafted rookie receiver Brandon Coleman had a number of nice catches Friday, including at least two touchdowns in team drills (and possibly a third, depending on whether he kept his toes in bounds).

Coleman has easily been the Saints' most improved player since OTAs, when he was struggling with dropped passes. It's far too early to predict whether he has a chance to crack the 53-man roster at a deep position group (fellow undrafted rookie Seantavius Jones and longtime practice squadder Andy Tanner have also looked good at times). But Coleman's impressive 6-foot-6, 225-pound frame makes him worth watching.

"I think he is stronger in his lower body," Payton said when asked about Coleman's improvement. "He is a little bit further removed from the injury he had his last year at Rutgers. I see him carrying his weight a little bit better in this fall training camp then he was able to in the spring."

Toon has been in position to inherit Colston's spot but hasn't taken advantage. I'm holding out a sliver of hope. Coleman could easily get the next crack at it.

Stay away.
the game Colston missed, I don't believe Toon got significant playing time. However, the game Lance Moore missed was the game Toon looked bad. That was addressed earlier in this thread in an article where Toon talked about how much he learned from that experience.

Rotoworld:

Saints WR Nick Toon played 44-of-74 snaps in Monday's loss to the Ravens, catching 3-of-5 targets for 42 yards.
Each of the catches, yards and targets were the most of Toon's thus far dismal three-year career. He had previously never caught more than one pass in a game. The New Orleans Times-Picayune expects Toon to maintain a role for however long Robert Meachem (ankle) is sidelined. It's nice to see Toon finally getting some regular-season run, but he's highly unlikely to come into 2014 fantasy value.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Nov 25 - 6:36 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett says "in a best-case scenario" Nick Toon could approach Kenny Stills' 2013 numbers.

Stills posted 32 catches for 641 yards and five touchdowns while playing in all 16 games that year. It's a reminder that although Toon is favored to win the No. 3 wideout job, it's a low-volume role in the Saints' scheme. That was the case even before they shifted to the ball-control mentality Sean Payton is installing this offseason.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 1 - 10:34 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett considers fourth-year WR Nick Toon the "strong frontrunner" to serve as New Orleans' No. 3 receiver this year.

Seantavius Jones and Brandon Coleman have drawn more OTA headlines, but Toon is in the driver's seat to work into three-receiver packages behind Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston. 26-year-old Toon had a quiet first three seasons in the league, but came on down the stretch in 2014 and ran 4.43-4.54 at 6-foot-2, 215 coming out of Wisconsin. He's a deep sleeper to monitor.

Jun 7 - 1:23 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Saints reporter Mike Triplett considers fourth-year WR Nick Toon the "strong frontrunner" to serve as New Orleans' No. 3 receiver this year.

Seantavius Jones and Brandon Coleman have drawn more OTA headlines, but Toon is in the driver's seat to work into three-receiver packages behind Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston. 26-year-old Toon had a quiet first three seasons in the league, but came on down the stretch in 2014 and ran 4.43-4.54 at 6-foot-2, 215 coming out of Wisconsin. He's a deep sleeper to monitor.

I expect Toon will be the #3 this year, but I don't feel like he's in the Saints long-term plans with him being a UFA after the season.

I'm expecting Brandon Coleman and/or Seantavius Jones to be starters next year,

I thought Al Toon's son would do more by this time in his career. He was pretty good at Wisconsin, but injuries and not doing much so far hasn't led to much confidence.

I just think that Toon would have created more opportunity for himself in his first four years if he was very good. It's not a matter of being blocked IMO. Stills (5th rounder) came in and created opportunity for himself. Lance Moore (UDFA) did before that. Colston (7th rounder) did. Payton and Brees will use the players they believe will get things done, and up until the 2nd half of his 4th season Toon was an afterthought. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's surpassed by Coleman and/or S Jones in preseason and spends his last year in New Orleans as the 4th/5th option then is elsewhere in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Advocate's Nick Underhill believes Nick Toon has fallen to sixth on the Saints' wide receiver depth chart.

Toon has by all accounts been passed by Brandon Coleman, but Underhill believes he may have fallen behind Joe Morgan and Josh Morgan as well. If that is the case, Toon's roster chances are bleak. He is not worth a late-round flier.

Source: The Advocate
Aug 20 - 9:20 AM

Rotoworld:

i'm really glad that people continue to listen to triplett about josh hill

between this and his absurd belief the shell of colston will have a "career year" it should be clear he has little to offer in terms of how things will play out for fantasy

Part of the 2012 draft without Payton in the room. Seemed like a good idea but his development went nowhere, had one big chance vs the Jets a couple years ago and was a liability. Watch Snead make the team and get the WR4 job.

Users who are viewing this thread