What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Mecole Hardman, KC (1 Viewer)

Updraftable in anything less than a 24 teamer.

Lot of competition for targets here. Lazard, Wilson, Hardman, Davis, Moore and TE ? Wow, even with Rodgers spreading it around hard to be fantasy relevant there.

If Zack starts then its even more competition for catches Lazard, Wilson, Hardman, Davis, Moore, TE and 4 x DB

If it didn't work out in Kansas City with Mahomes, what makes anyone think he will post better numbers as a member of the New York Jets?
I don't care who the Jets line up at Quarterback, it's a huge downgrade from Andy Reid calling plays and Patrick Mahomes taking the snaps.

i don’t know a lot about hardman’s kc usage, but isn’t he a slot receiver? can we consider kelce to be a slot receiver? i mean, he’s caught 500 balls over the past 5 years and he isn’t walking thru the jets’ door. moore is gone now and davis will be cut. question is whether or not they acquire a human qb and not run the wishbone.

Updraftable in anything less than a 24 teamer.

Lot of competition for targets here. Lazard, Wilson, Hardman, Davis, Moore and TE ? Wow, even with Rodgers spreading it around hard to be fantasy relevant there.

If Zack starts then its even more competition for catches Lazard, Wilson, Hardman, Davis, Moore, TE and 4 x DB

If it didn't work out in Kansas City with Mahomes, what makes anyone think he will post better numbers as a member of the New York Jets?
I don't care who the Jets line up at Quarterback, it's a huge downgrade from Andy Reid calling plays and Patrick Mahomes taking the snaps.

i don’t know a lot about hardman’s kc usage, but isn’t he a slot receiver? can we consider kelce to be a slot receiver? i mean, he’s caught 500 balls over the past 5 years and he isn’t walking thru the jets’ door. moore is gone now and davis will be cut. question is whether or not they acquire a human qb and not run the wishbone.
I don't want to post what i don't know but I thought Hardman lined up wide
I thought JJSS also was a slot receiver
Hardman could never take advantage when the Chiefs really had no one else to throw to at times
You never knew when Hardman would ever produce a TD or several catches above his normal 1-2 a game.

All these WRs keep signing pretty soon there won't be any spots for OBJ and the Vikes will be able to sign him for table scraps for a year prove it deal.

Hardman pretty much lined up everywhere, but the Chiefs used him in jet sweeps and gadget plays and sometimes downfield.

Hardman is a flat-out knucklehead. Tons of talent but unwilling to work for anything. He routinely eschewed Mahome's request to come work with him and the other receivers during offseason workouts to try and build chemistry.

He finally did this past offseason, but that was clearly a contract year move. Mahomes is the type of guy who has your back provided you work hard with him and get on the same page as the team. Hardman just never seemed to care.

If he can't work with Mahomes him working with Rodgers is gonna be a disaster. I believe Rodgers will probably hate Hardman. Rodgers is such an *** that anyone not in tune with his wants and needs is going to be cast off into no mans land.

This is just my opinion watching him for 4 years. A world of talent and speed and a .10 head. Maybe he unlocks that now.

Last edited:
He’s only played 4 years, not 5 years, which I’ve seen posted a couple times recently in this thread. Last year he was injured, didn’t have a good year for sure. However, he had a pretty decent year in 2021, 59 receptions for 693 yards on 83 targets. MVS this year had 81 targets for 687 yards and 42 receptions for a comparison.

Last edited:
He’s only played 4 years, not 5 years, which I’ve seen posted a couple times recently in this thread. Last year he was injured, didn’t have a good year for sure. However, he had a pretty decent year in 2021, 59 receptions for 693 yards on 83 targets. MVS this year had 81 targets for 687 yards and 42 receptions for a comparison.
I would love if every WRs agent used the, "look how good my client did compared to MVS" logic. :moneybag:

Ugh, this roster clogger was so close to seeing the waiver wire in my dynasty league. Now I have to hang on just to see how this pans out. My assumption is, if he can't succeed with Mahomes, he's not going to succeed anywhere. Short lease for sure

Ugh, this roster clogger was so close to seeing the waiver wire in my dynasty league. Now I have to hang on just to see how this pans out. My assumption is, if he can't succeed with Mahomes, he's not going to succeed anywhere. Short lease for sure
To me he’s droppable now. Assuming they don’t cut or try to move Corey Davis, Hardman is #4 in the pecking order. Don’t see much Fantasy value for the Jets 4th WR.

Jets WR Mecole Hardman (pelvis) told reporters he's "hoping" to be healthy by the time OTAs start.

Hardman missed most of the end of the season with this pelvis injury, returning briefly for the AFC Championship game but re-injuring himself in the process. He told reporters he was three weeks past surgery on the issue. This confirms that he shouldn't be expected to miss real time with the injury in 2023.
SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM ET

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets have promised free agent addition Mecole Hardman an expanded route tree.​

Hardman, of course, was a line of scrimmage gadget player in Kansas City who was also sent deep. The Jets apparently believe he has "untapped ability on intermediate routes." If that were the case, it seems like Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes probably would have figured it out. We obviously aren't counting on enhanced fantasy fortunes for Hardman this season.
SOURCE: ESPN
Apr 2, 2023, 10:07 AM ET

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports the Jets have promised free agent addition Mecole Hardman an expanded route tree.​

Hardman, of course, was a line of scrimmage gadget player in Kansas City who was also sent deep. The Jets apparently believe he has "untapped ability on intermediate routes." If that were the case, it seems like Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes probably would have figured it out. We obviously aren't counting on enhanced fantasy fortunes for Hardman this season.
Has this ship already sailed and we know what we have in Hardman?

Has this ship already sailed and we know what we have in Hardman?
The last 4 years Mahomes has thrown for 19k+ and 160+ TDs. 3 1/2 years(1/2 season injured) of that, M Hardman never
finished higher than WR42 and thats with T Hill missing games and Hardman doing squat with it.

Ask yourself- Have the Jets developed any WR's or have they been better then A Reid with WR's?
Or why would the Chiefs with a need at WR let M Hardman go?

I have a feeling if you draft M Hardman the rest of your league says "Thank You".

Last edited:
Yeah...as a Jet fan, I'm not expecting much here.

Assuming they eventually get Rodgers.....Garrett wilson is going to be a monster. Lazard is fine and their other WR (whether its Corey Davis or OBJ) will be serviceable to good in their role. And if Hall comes back healthy, he's gonna get a lot of touches.

So I certainly see a scenario where Hardman has a few big play games and puts up great fantasy numbers for THOSE weeks. But if he's on your roster....you'll never know when to play him. He'll either go 2 for 135 and 2 scores or 2 for 18 yards.

Read the other day that Hardman said he chose the Jets because he thought he was more of a complete receiver then what he was allowed to show in KC, where he felt he was more of a gadget guy.

In order for me to believe he'll be more then that requires me to believe that Hackett will unlock things in him that Andy Reid and staff along with Mahomes could not. So I'm not able to believe that.

I've never owned him, never been high on him, and my guess is he'll be a one year and done Jet and when he does play will be in a gadget role again.

Read the other day that Hardman said he chose the Jets because he thought he was more of a complete receiver then what he was allowed to show in KC, where he felt he was more of a gadget guy.

In order for me to believe he'll be more then that requires me to believe that Hackett will unlock things in him that Andy Reid and staff along with Mahomes could not. So I'm not able to believe that.

I've never owned him, never been high on him, and my guess is he'll be a one year and done Jet and when he does play will be in a gadget role again.
I'm not sure Hardman is capable of anything other than a gadget guy.

I can't tell you how many times Mahomes would show his frustration after a play where Hardman was a target. Mainly because he wasn't running a crisp enough route or wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Mahomes had several picks over the last few years when Hardman would not be in the right spot.

Last edited:
With Davis out of the way, that makes Hardman WR3 on the Jets? He just went from waiver wire fodder to rosterable.

If anything, he's going to be a chess piece for Rodgers. Wouldn't mind him as my FLEX or bye week filler in deeper leagues. Gonna be boom or bust but his path to relevance just got easier. With all the attention that run game and Garrett Wilson will command, you definitely exploit defenses forced to single cover him.

Is there a new league rule where every trade now has to be a player and a 7th round pick for a 6th round pick?

People forgot his role in the O already from last year. :<_<:

From Week 1 to Week 9 last year he was the 3rd WR in the Chiefs' WR core, usually playing 40-70% of the snaps in a game. He caught screens and was used in motion often, even getting gadget work. He was prone to the error in route running though, which led me to use the hashtag #MecoleMestake many a time. One thing I'd point out is Justin Watson and 2022 Mecole Hardman had much different roles, he's not in to take Watson's role. If anything he's taking away from the 2nd/3rd WRs when fully up to speed, and that would be Skyy Moore/Rashee Rice.

I think Andy Reid originally thought that Toney or Moore would be able to do the Hardman role with better route running. Reid loves his jet sweeps and motion. But the Chiefs have been bad on those. Could be two things as far as I can tell:

1. The league defenses have caught up to that play. It may be just my imagination but it seems like defenses across the league have more often than not shut that down. But teams definitely have on the Chiefs.

2. Toney sucks at it. This I have seen with my own eyes. And Moore hasn't had many opportunities at it.

So Hardman is good at that play. To me, Toney is being mis-cast by the Chiefs. He's a pretty big guy: 6' and 195 pounds. He's not a shifty little gadget guy. If it were me I'd put him outside opposite Valdez-Scantling and let those guys run downfield to open up the underneath stuff where Kelce, Moore, and Hardman can have space.

I think Andy Reid originally thought that Toney or Moore would be able to do the Hardman role with better route running. Reid loves his jet sweeps and motion. But the Chiefs have been bad on those. Could be two things as far as I can tell:

1. The league defenses have caught up to that play. It may be just my imagination but it seems like defenses across the league have more often than not shut that down. But teams definitely have on the Chiefs.

2. Toney sucks at it. This I have seen with my own eyes. And Moore hasn't had many opportunities at it.

So Hardman is good at that play. To me, Toney is being mis-cast by the Chiefs. He's a pretty big guy: 6' and 195 pounds. He's not a shifty little gadget guy. If it were me I'd put him outside opposite Valdez-Scantling and let those guys run downfield to open up the underneath stuff where Kelce, Moore, and Hardman can have space.
Are you also implying that Rice is the odd man out now?

Are you also implying that Rice is the odd man out now?
No. Rice is just a rookie. So he will get worked in more and more. And he's getting better. To me he will take more of those Moore snaps.

Man, I used more a lot in those two sentences. :lol:

As a Giants fan I can tell you his: his gets separation from his moves out in space, not his route running. He needs a lot of work in that regard, which is why the whole draft process he was touted as a "special weapon" in space.

Users who are viewing this thread